Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

HelleSpud posted:

In PS4 Spider-Man Orthodox NPCs don't spawn on the Sabbath

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

HelleSpud posted:

In PS4 Spider-Man Orthodox NPCs don't spawn on the Sabbath

Now I'm picturing a mission where Spiderman has to use his webs to construct an Eruv.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

cohsae posted:

Now I'm picturing a mission where Spiderman has to use his webs to construct an Eruv.

Peter Parker: Shabbat goy.

A man in a yarmulke wanders past Peter Parker loudly and pointedly exclaiming to no-one in particular that there are an awful lot of men in ski masks in the local bank for such a warm July.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey sorry Miles, you'll have to go stop Rhino this time- I don't spidey on Saturday, I'm shomer shabbos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In La Mulana, when you pause the game, the main character (visible underneath the pause overlay) can be seen making a pot of curry, eating it, and then falling asleep. There's a couple of puzzles that require you to fall asleep in particular places, which just means "pause the game there and wait for the animation to play".

In La Mulana 2, the main character's daughter is the protagonist, and she has a similar animation, except she makes sushi instead of curry. She also has a bunch of different costumes, each of which gets the same animation. One of them is a full-body suit of armor (the Clay Doll Suit), which includes a helmet that covers her face. For that animation, she makes the sushi, tries to eat it...it slides off the helmet, and she gives up and goes to sleep. :allears:

When I was a kid I thought Rockford getting impatient with my slow-rear end playing and tapping his foot in Boulder Dash was the height of computer video game sophistication.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I can come up with a better example of a game that commonly has me going, nah, I'm not gonna fast travel, it'll be more fun to just go there myself

Prototype came close, with the added benefit of being able to do an elbow drop on an M1 tank from the top of the Empire State Building.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Prototype rules because you can dash to your objective while Hulk-wall-crawling over any obstacles, or you can hijack a helicopter

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Honestly I liked Prototype better for that. Spiderman felt a bit too automatic, like I was mostly just holding forwards and watching pretty animations play, while Prototype made me feel like I was fully controlling a character and all of their actions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crackdown

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You can dual wield in Resident Evil 4 vr. Nothing more fun the fighting bosses with a striker in one hand and the broken butterfly in the other.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hey sorry Miles, you'll have to go stop Rhino this time- I don't spidey on Saturday, I'm shomer shabbos.

As my uncle Benjamin Goldstein always said, with great power comes a great covenant.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

CJacobs posted:

Crackdown

gently caress yeah. Especially after collecting a good few movement orbs.

Also - Just Cause 2 ->

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crackdown was a really bad Grand Theft Auto 3-clone but a really fun Prototype-clone.

Too few 3D-games have actually meaningful 3D-ing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Regardless of its other shortcomings, the flying in Gat Out of Hell was pretty dang good.

(SR4 always gets praise for its movement, but it's blatantly just every last piece of Prototype's movement system copy and pasted over.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, I have knighted a group of mimics who arrived to join the war.
Kinda starting to feel like I should get into this here.

is the gameplay the usual turns-translated-to-real-time nonsense or is it good?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Crackdown was a really bad Grand Theft Auto 3-clone but a really fun Prototype-protoype.

Too few 3D-games have actually meaningful 3D-ing.

Fixed that for you, crackdown predates prototype

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda starting to feel like I should get into this here.

is the gameplay the usual turns-translated-to-real-time nonsense or is it good?

Pathfinder is a slightly modified DnD3.5 and with all the troubles that entails, so it depends on how much you can tolerate some classes just being flat out better than others.

This is because Wrath Of The Righteous (like Kingmaker before it) is basically a direct translation of the actual written Adventure Path that was made for the tabletop game.

I hope in the future they do a game for Pathfinder 2e instead, although I think by necessity that would have to be turn-based because of the changes made to the action system.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can tolerate that in a computer game, as long as the gameplay isn't very clearly balanced for one kind of class which is guaranteed to be different from the one I pick.

And we're never getting turn-based Western RPG games again, only the highly serious will-you-betray-your-honor ones from Japan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can tolerate that in a computer game, as long as the gameplay isn't very clearly balanced for one kind of class which is guaranteed to be different from the one I pick.

And we're never getting turn-based Western RPG games again, only the highly serious will-you-betray-your-honor ones from Japan

Just don't play anything that doesn't cast spells, then.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is very untrue for a couple of reasons.

Firstly that Divinity Original Sin 2 sold extremely well;
secondly that Pillars of Eternity 2 (which I highly recommend over Pathfinder if you want actual good writing and balanced classes) literally patched in a turn-based mode and found it worth the time to sell it to more people.

And lastly because Fire Emblem Three Houses is definitely not any kind of highly serious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Fixed that for you, crackdown predates prototype

Wolfenstein 3D predated Doom but it's still a Doom-clone.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just don't play anything that doesn't cast spells, then.

Which is funny considering when playing the actual adventure path, I had one friend who built a character that the strongest boss in the game would require a nat 20 just to hit, and even then would barely scratch, and another friend who specced a melee character with a glaive that split a god in two in one turn.

My cleric could cast every spell in the game, multiple times, at any point but it was pretty tough to keep up with that.

The GM was less than thrilled.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wrath of the Righteous does have a turn-based mode, that's how I play the game. Never touched the real time with pause mode.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In the guardians of the Galaxy game, when on the ship hub, the crew fridge door is open and can be closed by you. Turns out this resets once you turn around a corner, making you wonder who the hell opens the door all the time and closing it again and again. Later once you do it enough times all Crew members chime in that they tought they were the only ones closing it constantly, leaving everyone even more confused :v:

Just a fun little prank on the players which amused me when I figured it out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The great thing about Wrath of the Righteous is that you can toggle between turn based and rtwp even mid combat, depending on if its trash mobs or a really important fight.

The problem is that "rest based resources" is fundamentally uninteresting to me,and means half the fights are there just to use up your spells.

I also could not find a sweet spot in the difficulty settings. It seems to swing from "you can mow through enemies unthinkingly" to "hope you like only hitting on a crit, also have multiple enemies with AoE stuns that last 5 years"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Crackdown

Crackdown felt like a very rudimentary platformer. You had a powerful jump but I don't remember much else for movement. I don't think it even had ledge grab.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The great thing about Wrath of the Righteous is that you can toggle between turn based and rtwp even mid combat, depending on if its trash mobs or a really important fight.

The problem is that "rest based resources" is fundamentally uninteresting to me,and means half the fights are there just to use up your spells.

I also could not find a sweet spot in the difficulty settings. It seems to swing from "you can mow through enemies unthinkingly" to "hope you like only hitting on a crit, also have multiple enemies with AoE stuns that last 5 years"

The dragon age games do this too - though I almost never used the tactical mode in the latest release. It was done very well in the first game though (until you discovered certain game-breaking spell combos).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, I have knighted a group of mimics who arrived to join the war.

I'm assuming you can knight other monsters, too?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lobok posted:

Crackdown felt like a very rudimentary platformer. You had a powerful jump but I don't remember much else for movement. I don't think it even had ledge grab.

Crackdowns movement physics were very floaty and janky

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think The Hulk Ultimate Destruction (THUD) had the earliest 'open level, wall run to traverse' style movement of that type that I can remember, lot of fun on the Original Xbox.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ultimate Destruction was great, same developer as Prototype I believe. If not they should sue for sure

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm assuming you can knight other monsters, too?

Yup, this is the fourth special group of recruits unique to this event. First is a group of treants. Second is an abolitionist-turned-bandit and his gang who want to fight for good. Third is a group of children, escaped slaves - I assigned them as squires and trainees rather than child soldiers. And now the mimics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

This is why it was fun, its movement is so utterly consistently paced. Jumping around collectin' orbs is the simplest thing you can do in a video game and Crackdown fit square into that era where it was important to make collectin' orbs fun. Plus you're rewarded for having fun with the jumping with the ability to do it more and faster. I'd compare it to Jak and Daxter and its movement in an odd way: rudimentary, and perfect for the game it's a part of.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

This is why it was fun, its movement is so utterly consistently paced. Jumping around collectin' orbs is the simplest thing you can do in a video game and Crackdown fit square into that era where it was important to make collectin' orbs fun. Plus you're rewarded for having fun with the jumping with the ability to do it more and faster. I'd compare it to Jak and Daxter and its movement in an odd way: rudimentary, and perfect for the game it's a part of.

I wouldn't say the simplicity was why it was fun. Big Hulk jumps are fun by themselves and I enjoyed the challenge of puzzling my way up to orbs by finding the path of ever-higher platforms but the interaction with the environment felt hollow without any wall jumps, handholds, etc.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Triarii posted:

Honestly I liked Prototype better for that. Spiderman felt a bit too automatic, like I was mostly just holding forwards and watching pretty animations play, while Prototype made me feel like I was fully controlling a character and all of their actions.

For all its faults, the 360 remake of Bionic Commando (re-armed?) could make you feel really good about swinging everywhere because it required a bit of skill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2house2fly posted:

Ultimate Destruction was great, same developer as Prototype I believe. If not they should sue for sure

It was, that was a big reason Prototype built up a head of hype back in the day

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

I wouldn't say the simplicity was why it was fun. Big Hulk jumps are fun by themselves and I enjoyed the challenge of puzzling my way up to orbs by finding the path of ever-higher platforms but the interaction with the environment felt hollow without any wall jumps, handholds, etc.

This is fair. When it eventually came out Crackdown 3 was criticized for not adding any of these things, iirc.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Homefront: The Revolution has a complete, 4k, port of TimeSplitters 2 in it.

https://www.polygon.com/22375774/timesplitters-2-homefront-the-revolution-easter-egg-cheat-code-unlock-how-to

I miss cheat/unlock codes being common

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think The Hulk Ultimate Destruction (THUD) had the earliest 'open level, wall run to traverse' style movement of that type that I can remember, lot of fun on the Original Xbox.

I'm surprised another Hulk-specific game hasn't come out recently since Spider-Man did so well. That Avengers game has him, but it doesn't feel nearly the same as giving you a whole open world setup specifically designed around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm surprised another Hulk-specific game hasn't come out recently since Spider-Man did so well. That Avengers game has him, but it doesn't feel nearly the same as giving you a whole open world setup specifically designed around him.

Could be that Disney/Marvel's brand management don't want a game where you knock around innocent bystanders and destroy property. They've got an image to maintain.