Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Vermain posted:

It's always interesting hearing regional differences of the same characters. Alisaie's VA and overall personality in the Western version always felt a bit snooty and refined, like she's subtly convinced she's just a little ahead of everyone else (except you, of course), whereas the Japanese VA sounds way more hotheaded and impetuous.

Didn't TERA have a similar thing where one race was all cute and compassionate in the west, but monstrous eco warrior psychopath in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Ytlaya posted:

So I just did Sastasha as my daily Leveling duty and this dude in my party kept asking me "do you #maga" and then at the end of the dungeon he said "vote donald trump 2020."

The weird thing is that he asked me specifically, rather than the whole group. I hope that something about my character's appearance doesn't scream "will be receptive to trump."

I wonder if it's the same one who called me a communist and got me kicked from Halatali. Was he on excal?

Edit: Azrael Crystallis was the name, now that I’m home and can see my blacklist.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

Didn't TERA have a similar thing where one race was all cute and compassionate in the west, but monstrous eco warrior psychopath in Japan?

Tera's thing was that the race of actuallathousandyearsold pedobait girls was the only one that had a special reaper class or something. Don't think there were any major regional differences.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Safeword posted:

It's come up in a few places, though I don't recall any major differences in TERA (aside from censoring some of the Elin outfits, for obvious reasons). The two games that always come to mind for me are Last Remnant and the original NieR: the Japanese versions star wispy dudes with boyish haircuts, while the Western versions star gruff, Schwarzenegger-esque barbarian dudes. Those are fairly explicit examples, though. Differences between regions tends mostly to be in minor points of characterization or in regional stereotypes that make more sense to the local audience (e.g. Hancock in the Japanese version being an inept tourist butchering the language versus Hancock in the Western version being a Hingan-obsessed weeb).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Vermain posted:

It's come up in a few places, though I don't recall any major differences in TERA (aside from censoring some of the Elin outfits, for obvious reasons). The two games that always come to mind for me are Last Remnant and the original NieR: the Japanese versions star wispy dudes with boyish haircuts, while the Western versions star gruff, Schwarzenegger-esque barbarian dudes. Those are fairly explicit examples, though. Differences between regions tends mostly to be in minor points of characterization or in regional stereotypes that make more sense to the local audience (e.g. Hancock in the Japanese version being an inept tourist butchering the language versus Hancock in the Western version being a Hingan-obsessed weeb).

idk what you’re talking about re: the last remnant, I played on PC and the hero was just a standard JRPG boy

NieR is also a bit more complicated than that. In Japan, there were two versions: prettyboy brother version for the PS3, and muscledad version for the Xbox 360. It’s just that the US only got the 360 version, not that the protagonist was specifically changed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dmboogie posted:

idk what you’re talking about re: the last remnant, I played on PC and the hero was just a standard JRPG boy

NieR is also a bit more complicated than that. In Japan, there were two versions: prettyboy brother version for the PS3, and muscledad version for the Xbox 360. It’s just that the US only got the 360 version, not that the protagonist was specifically changed

Was I thinking about a different game than Last Remnant? I could've sworn it had two regional protags.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Was I thinking about a different game than Last Remnant? I could've sworn it had two regional protags.

I think you're thinking about one of the Nier games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vermain posted:

No, it's Rush everywhere.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So I finally got to God Kefka.

First Forsaken posted:

This sequence of attacks is pretty reasonable to understand.

Second Forsaken posted:

:supaburn:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Second Forsaken is kind of like Grand Cross Omega in that it looks like a terrifying, chaotic field of death when you first see it, but it's not actually that bad once everybody knows their part and does it.

On the other hand, it is the last new mechanic in O8S. Third Forsaken is just a combination of things you've already dealt with before so it tends to be much faster to learn. Beating second Forsaken means that as long as you have enough DPS you are most of the way to clearing the fight!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's good news. :dance:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I find 2nd forsaken to be easier than GCO, there is a ton of stuff going on but what each individual person does is almost exactly the same every time vs GCO which was a lot more random

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
2nd Forsaken would be a nightmare if you potentially had to do everything it contains personally at random. But everyone individually has a relatively simple thing to do on their own, just focus on your role for it and 2nd Forsaken is one of the easier dances.

Really the Trine dances are the most annoying/difficult part of the fight, that and "Oh whoops forgot to turn Kefka lol good luck finding the sliver that's gonna be safe from wing + tower".

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Important thing for second Forsaken; ranged DPS should back away from The Dragon of Budapest Godka before the cast ends. The people who get regular AoEs and who get the ground circles are determined by proximity, not by role. As a ranged, you circle slowly from east or west to north, dropping the four bad things on the way, do the meteor circle, then run to the meteor circle the tanks are in.

Third and fourth Forsakens are just a review course, so those are just something to see and learn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, the pug party disbanded for now, so I guess I'll try it again later if I can catch up with those people. :negative:

For now, I'll get some Sands of Time for my glamours.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Second Forsaken is more fun to preform than GCO but it does not have the option to just die and let the healers LB3 you out of responsiblity therefore it is a worse mechanic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

small bird pudding posted:

I wonder if it's the same one who called me a communist and got me kicked from Halatali. Was he on excal?

Edit: Azrael Crystallis was the name, now that I’m home and can see my blacklist.

I'm on excal, but I think duty finder matches you across servers, so not sure about him.

That name does ring a bell, so it might have actually been the same guy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love God Kefka even if it loving killed two of my statics in a row.

It really feels like a deity just trying his damnedest to destroy you. The very first attack is setting all your HP to 1 and then blasting you off the surface of Eorzea. Wow, they actually managed to survive that, better get crazier and crazier with my attacks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

I love God Kefka even if it loving killed two of my statics in a row.

It really feels like a deity just trying his damnedest to destroy you. The very first attack is setting all your HP to 1 and then blasting you off the surface of Eorzea. Wow, they actually managed to survive that, better get crazier and crazier with my attacks.

Neo Exdeath and Thordan hard have a pretty similar feel to this and it's part of why they are also cool, thematic fights. (Thordan ex subverts it by suddenly going "now the REAL battle begins!" right when the hard mode version would have gone into panic mode, which is why thex is the *best* thematic fight).

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

So this solo duty with Tataru after Swallow's compass is the hardest fight in the game, right?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Pretty much, since you're partied with an NPC that behaves like a bad player. One of the AoEs is a bit misleading.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I did the quests to unlock Binding Coil of Bahamut, but I currently don't have a quest in my log and I have 5 "Turns" in the Duty Finder. Which one(s) do I need to do to continue the quest chain? Do I need to do all of them in sequence? It's a little confusing, because the Crystal Tower stuff (which I just finished) would unlock each part in sequence.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Finally got to Heavensward and unlocked Astrologian and Dark Knight! I'm excited to try the jobs out, though with them both starting at level 30 I feel like it would be a long time before I can really do anything with them..

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So I did the quests to unlock Binding Coil of Bahamut, but I currently don't have a quest in my log and I have 5 "Turns" in the Duty Finder. Which one(s) do I need to do to continue the quest chain? Do I need to do all of them in sequence? It's a little confusing, because the Crystal Tower stuff (which I just finished) would unlock each part in sequence.

you don't need to do them in sequence iirc but you definitely need to do them all before you progress to the next stage

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thundarr posted:

Neo Exdeath and Thordan hard have a pretty similar feel to this and it's part of why they are also cool, thematic fights. (Thordan ex subverts it by suddenly going "now the REAL battle begins!" right when the hard mode version would have gone into panic mode, which is why thex is the *best* thematic fight).

What about relevant Final Coil when the music lined up?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Doomhammer posted:

So this solo duty with Tataru after Swallow's compass is the hardest fight in the game, right?

It's no Red Chocobo.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are 3 tiers of coil (binding coil, second coil and final coil) and you only have to beat the last turn of each tier to advance the quest but some of the other turns have story content so you should probably do them all. 2 level 70s can clear almost every fight pretty easily, though I think you need 3 people for Turn 9 (aka second coil turn 4) due to mechanics.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

You can at least get past the golem meteors with two, though that's purely luck on where the third lands. We caved in eventually, though, it's still rough after that with two.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

WrightOfWay posted:

There are 3 tiers of coil (binding coil, second coil and final coil) and you only have to beat the last turn of each tier to advance the quest but some of the other turns have story content so you should probably do them all. 2 level 70s can clear almost every fight pretty easily, though I think you need 3 people for Turn 9 (aka second coil turn 4) due to mechanics.

Tested that out a while back and you need 4 unless you just burst super hard. Golems are doable with less but the second part just kills you too fast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

isk posted:

Pretty much, since you're partied with an NPC that behaves like a bad player.

- Doesn't use her Egis.
- Doesn't equip her Soul Crystal.
- Unironically using Physick.
- Dropping AOEs on the other players with AOEs.

I wish Tataru would unsubscribe from this game. :argh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, I may try to recruit some goons to go through the Bahamut stuff, then. I'm not 70 yet, though; my highest is a 62 DRK, and I was wanting to do this earlier story content before continuing the MSQ (Crystal Tower was surprisingly relevant - I imagine I'd be confused at Nero's next appearance without having done it). I'm currently right after the end of the main Heavensward quests, before all the Heavensward patch content. I keep getting distracted doing alts (largely because I try to do the duty finder stuff each day, and find that by the time I'm done I've already spent all the time I want to spend MMO-ing that night). In addition to my 62 DRK, I've gotten SAM to 60, BRD to 51, NIN to 53 (was my first job), and I've played SMN/SCH to 43.

There actually is some method to this madness; I find that in practice I often find myself dropping games after I finish their main story content (for example never doing late/post-game stuff in RPGs after I beat the final boss), so if I want to experience the job quest content I'm better off doing it while I still have a bunch of main story quests hanging over my head to motivate me.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vermain posted:

Differences between regions tends mostly to be in minor points of characterization or in regional stereotypes that make more sense to the local audience (e.g. Hancock in the Japanese version being an inept tourist butchering the language versus Hancock in the Western version being a Hingan-obsessed weeb).

I'm really happy the english localization team get the creative freedom that they do.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Philonius posted:

I'm really happy the english localization team get the creative freedom that they do.

Same. I love the version of Hancock we got. I appreciate a good 90% of the localization changes they make. And that's really drat good imo

They do get their hiccups from time to time though... (3.55 spoiler) Papalymo's Final Witness

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Same. I love the version of Hancock we got. I appreciate a good 90% of the localization changes they make. And that's really drat good imo

They do get their hiccups from time to time though... (3.55 spoiler) Papalymo's Final Witness

Getting Hauchfrant killed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

What about relevant Final Coil when the music lined up?

If we're going with music timing for dramatic effect, Ravana ex is the hands down winner for lining up the entire second half of the fight with the song.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ytlaya posted:

My Samurai is finally getting close to 60, at which point I will resume the MSQ stuff, since I wanted to use Samurai through Stormblood later. I've also been leveling Summoner/Scholar on the side (just using the daily Leveling Duty Finder thing for it).

I'm quickly running out of buttons for Samurai. Is Third Eye and its accompanying Cure skill mostly optional/unnecessary in dungeon content? That would clear up a few slots. Currently all my reachable number keys are taken up with the main combos, ctrl-number keys taken up with the AoE skills + a couple cooldowns and shift-number taken up with the weapon skill and kenki moves. I'm just barely fitting everything after putting Third Eye and the cure thing on ctrl-Q and ctrl-E, and I guess I could maybe reserve shift-Q/shift-E for something as well.

Speaking of Summoner, is Tri-bind only really useful for AoE situations with 4 or more mobs?

I find the damage reduction + self healing from third eye helps keep me alive in Rabanastre and Ridorana when today's no-good healers are sleeping on the job.

Here's my mouse & keyboard UI setup with sam hotkeys which is still kind of a WIP but I'm mostly happy with:

Movement is on WSAD, the left side of my bars are 1-5 and are where I try to put my bread & butter gcd skills. The right side is QERF+8(which is a mouse side button) and are where I try to put my class-meter consuming/OGCD skills. Bars have crtl and shift modifiers (as well as alt but I don't actually use it). I also throw some long cd skills up on the f-keys but its mostly due to inertia. The only class so far I've struggled with this setup is PLD, which just plain has too many skills.

When I'm feeling up to adjusting my keybindings again I'm probably going to move Hagakure and Meikyo Shisui somewhere else, swap Hissatsu: Kyuten and Merciful Eyes positions, and move Meditate somewhere else. I also don't like where I have the 3 aoe combo skills but haven't been able to think of a better solution.

A good idea I heard some one else talk about is using mouse buttons for modifier keys. Also,

Ytlaya posted:

One day the scales will fall from my eyes and I will realize that I'm actually the only person alive who does not have a third arm growing out of their chest with which to use the 6-0 keys.

The main motivation behind my current set-up is I refuse on principle to use 6-0 for keybinds. That junk is just unbelievably clunky.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Doomhammer posted:

No it's easy, just don't do what Tataru tells you.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I'm quickly running out of buttons for Samurai. Is Third Eye and its accompanying Cure skill mostly optional/unnecessary in dungeon content? That would clear up a few slots. Currently all my reachable number keys are taken up with the main combos, ctrl-number keys taken up with the AoE skills + a couple cooldowns and shift-number taken up with the weapon skill and kenki moves. I'm just barely fitting everything after putting Third Eye and the cure thing on ctrl-Q and ctrl-E, and I guess I could maybe reserve shift-Q/shift-E for something as well.

Don't worry next patch you can figure out where to pull all of the other role actions. :v:

On controller I use two pages plus the 8 extra on the w bar and some classes have plenty of room for them while others are pretty cramped.

But the problem with those role actions is that most of them are cool downs so if you use pagination you lose visibility for when they're back up. You're also battling what's available on the face buttons since if you put anything on the dpad you have to take your thumb off the dpad to hit it and thus can't do it while moving. (Though there's some advanced speed running tech where you bring your index finger over to hit it with the other hand.)

The way around the cool down thing is too make a hot bar and put just cds on there and shove it off to the side just so you can see them. Still :effort: though.

Gonna be a little interesting at the start of that patch. Pretty sure I want all of the stuff for healer, but caster dps? Pffff.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

Tataru is comically inept at anything combat related. Note how she keeps running toward you whenever she gets an AOE marker :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Philonius posted:

Tataru is comically inept at anything combat related. Note how she keeps running toward you whenever she gets an AOE marker :shobon:

Also note that it *is not* the "stack here" marker.