Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Belle Epoch Deluxe :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

bees x1000 posted:

Boss will get the job done.
Could be the thread title.

Anyway, I was reading about the Boss TB-2W, which is a recreation of a Tone Bender MK II fuzz.
Was super stoked and onboard until I discovered they were asking $350 for it. gently caress that.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

betterinsodapop posted:

Could be the thread title.

Anyway, I was reading about the Boss TB-2W, which is a recreation of a Tone Bender MK II fuzz.
Was super stoked and onboard until I discovered they were asking $350 for it. gently caress that.

Boss going botique is like the worst of both worlds. They should just make dependable, slightly boring boxes that last 50 years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pondex posted:

Boss going botique is like the worst of both worlds. They should just make dependable, slightly boring boxes that last 50 years.

I don’t know, I think the waza era has been awesome. The prices aren’t crazy for most of it and the quality seems to be held to a very high standard that backs up what they’re trying to present these as. I’m into it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I think the tb-2w is going to be super limited in supply just based on the original and parts being so hard to come by right now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

eh, there will always be boss tone benders available on reverb

for $600

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
No, I mean, they only made 3000 of them. Though yeah the chance of scalpers is high isn't it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Someone will always make a good Tone Bender.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Weird BIAS posted:

No, I mean, they only made 3000 of them. Though yeah the chance of scalpers is high isn't it.

anything with a limited supply and anything resembling high demand is always going to get snatched up by scalpers because it’s an easy way to turn a profit

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Belle Epoch Deluxe :heysexy:

I do want one of those eventually, I think it's a good mid-range boutique delay. Although the Volante does keep singing my name :heysexy:

I will sing the praises of two pedals I got recently, the Keeley Neutrino V2 and the Spiral Electric FX Brute Fuzz!

The Keeley is as you would expect, a very solid pedal, very adaptable across instruments and works just fine for me on bass as well as keyboards (my modx like it too!) and guitar. it has some odd switch positions for an envelope filter: the up/down sweeper switch is on the right side next to the left of the input jack and to its right is a philips-head screw to adjust the overall pedal volume! Otherwise your normal band positions, gain, peak, and low or high range, important for us bassplayers! It's a really responsive filter especially when you put a little drive into it!

And speaking of drive, I finally did get that upgraded fuzz, it was a tough choice because Tom has made several fantastic pedals at https://www.spiralelectricfx.com/ and you should be checking them all out, seriously. I went with the Brute Fuzz mainly because I love the Carcosa for guitar but I wanted a fuzz that would be adaptable to my basses and the Brute is dark enough for that. As this pedal is an evolution from the Carcosa there are some similarities, it has a bass boost/cut switch, a bias knob, fuzz, treble and gain knobs. The magic is in the N2/silicon, N2, N2/germanium toggles. The N2 is just an amazing thing when you compare it to a straight transistor fuzz like the Carcosa, its a full dynamic range, so you're getting that plus the tweaks you add with the other knobs. The germanium toggle is the quietest (depending on temperature of course!), I find the straight N2 best for bass and the N2/silicon great for guitar. I also found it a great pair for the Neutrino at low level, even managed to fake the Sir Psycho Sexy failing Mu-Tron III battery sound by using the bias, and it does a pretty good Chameleon bass sound too!

But that's not all! It comes in this lovely woodsmoke-scented wooden box with goodies:

So yeah Tom Cram is doing good work :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tom Cram rules. He saved DOD and got the shaft but thankfully still makes rad pedals.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Any recommendations for a cheap filter pedal? For my djing setup I have my turntables going into an ecler nuo mixer, which has channel fx sends feeding into my earthquaker space spiral and then back in the third channel of the mixer. I can't eq what I'm sending out to the earthquaker, so it seems like sometimes in real bassy tracks with hard transients it overloads it and the reverb/delay sounds distorted and not good. Id like to have some sort of filter pedal to put before my space spiral to cut out all the low end to have a cleaner reverb/delay return. Having a nice resonance for sweeps is cool too but not required. Also open to just selling the space spiral and finding a reverb/delay pedal with some sort of built in settings to handle this if anyone knows of any.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think your options for 'cheap, highpass with resonance control' are going to be limited. I'd just get a GE-7 and call it a day

or a compressor

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think the MXR whatever-band graphic EQs might be less noisy than a Boss GE-7 which is, otherwise, the king.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

True, the GE-7 has a history of noise floor complaints, but if your audio level is hot enough that you're fighting clipping, and you're not running into another gain stage (amp) ,then it might be a non-issue.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think I'm just gonna sell it and buy this guy (https://shop.kma-machines.com/product/cirrus-spatial-temporal-modifier-reverb-delay). Not much more expensive, comes with high pass and low pass and a tap tempo, which will be real convenient. I realized adding another pedal then means another power supply which could be a hassle if I bring it to a gig (whenever those happen again).

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I've been using the Cirrus to run synths through, its pretty rad. I don't know how it compares to the other reverb/delay pedals out there but I've been pleased.

I got their Wurhm distortion pedal, too, mostly cause it looked cool.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'll let you know how it compares to the space spiral when I get it. I like the space spiral a lot actually but im finding its more suitable for certain genres then others because of the mud it introduces. When I play reggae/dub its really nice, either pulling the faders for one shots thru it or just building up a mass of feedback for a transition.

But more upbeat genres like garage and techno its just too muddy and doesn't handle the transients well. It doesn't sound bad recorded, but when I'm using it in the moment it bothers me. Ideally I'd just have multiple pedals but $$$ could be a bit tight soon so id rather spend a total of $60-70 then $230.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Fats posted:

I've been using the Cirrus to run synths through, its pretty rad. I don't know how it compares to the other reverb/delay pedals out there but I've been pleased.

I got their Wurhm distortion pedal, too, mostly cause it looked cool.

The cirrus is loving bonkers dude. Ive only spent a few hours with it but all the options are wild. What would you recommend to try to get a dark, dubny sounding delay out of it?

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 7, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Doing a mockup of a new board.

All dirt is in the loop of the NS-2. Ideally I will eventually get an ES-8 to use so I can include my amps' effects loops, but that's a later thing.

It has a lot of pedals, arguably too many, but that's because I don't gig and the board was free so gently caress it, right? If/when I get the looper I'll definitely pare back the amount I have but for right now it's groovay.

I think I have the main food groups on the board? I have diy cables too so things going to the SR and IO will be made to length.

Opinions or anything I should be doing?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

syntaxfunction posted:

Doing a mockup of a new board.

All dirt is in the loop of the NS-2. Ideally I will eventually get an ES-8 to use so I can include my amps' effects loops, but that's a later thing.

It has a lot of pedals, arguably too many, but that's because I don't gig and the board was free so gently caress it, right? If/when I get the looper I'll definitely pare back the amount I have but for right now it's groovay.

I think I have the main food groups on the board? I have diy cables too so things going to the SR and IO will be made to length.

Opinions or anything I should be doing?

EHX Freeze

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m worried there might not be enough dirt

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
bruhs, can you recommend me a multi output 9v power supply? does it matter much? i'm seeing a lot of variations in price and i don't wanna buy a crappy or an overpriced one. anything with at least 8 outputs.

https://reverb.com/item/17096890-ca...m_source=google

like, does this random example look ok?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

lmbo calrissian posted:

bruhs, can you recommend me a multi output 9v power supply? does it matter much? i'm seeing a lot of variations in price and i don't wanna buy a crappy or an overpriced one. anything with at least 8 outputs.

https://reverb.com/item/17096890-ca...m_source=google

like, does this random example look ok?

The thing with these ones (Joyo, Caline etc), is that even though they say they're isolated, they aren't. The 9V adaptor powering it instead of an iec providing ac mains is a dead giveaway. For all intents and purposes this is just a one spot with a daisy chain shoved in a box with all the buzz, hum, and interference that entails. If you're all analog you'll be ok, but any digital pedals (even something like a boss digital delay) and you're hosed.

Trruetone cs7 or cs12 are probably your best bet for price vs quality.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Interesting... any idea how the MXR iso brick stacks up RE isolation? It has an 18v power adaptor.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Interesting... any idea how the MXR iso brick stacks up RE isolation? It has an 18v power adaptor.

MXR claim it's truly isolated using a "different and unique" technique, and being 18V rather than 9 suggests something's going on. I'm dubious but haven't had direct experience so that's entirely gut based.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Without a properly-designed iso transformer I'm not sure what they could be doing but I am no EE.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Hmm whoa really good to know thanks joe bogan
gonna look at truetone and comparable things but prob just get one o thos

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
bought a green earthquaker avalanche run based on look alone lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lmbo calrissian posted:

bought a green earthquaker avalanche run based on look alone lol

it's a good pedal

i ordered an alter ego x4 with a looper footswitch mod; this will be the second proguitarshop exclusive tc electronic pedal that i will be purchasing for a second time after selling/trading it the first time (i will never get along with the t2 reverb and i will always regret selling my digitech supernatural for it)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My Plus Pedal has an effects loop and I want to put my octave pedal in it while being able to use the octave on its own. I'm assuming I'd need some sort of splitter but I'm not sure which. Could someone explain what I should buy?
I want to buy from Saturnworks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Buy a used octave pedal, it'll cost the same and be easier to patch.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
what's the best mini volume pedal out there? it'd be nice if it had an active/passive switch

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

ProperCoochie posted:

My Plus Pedal has an effects loop and I want to put my octave pedal in it while being able to use the octave on its own. I'm assuming I'd need some sort of splitter but I'm not sure which. Could someone explain what I should buy?
I want to buy from Saturnworks.

I believe you want this badger.

Get in touch with them before you buy but I’m fairly sure that does what you want.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How is that Voodoo Octave? I don't think I've seen one with a rad kick flip on it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Voodoo Octave is surprisingly great if you're looking for a lofi fuzz. I love mine.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

UncleBlazer posted:

I believe you want this badger.

Get in touch with them before you buy but I’m fairly sure that does what you want.

Thank you. I've discovered Saturnworks also has an Etsy shop, so they seem very easy to get a hold of.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

How is that Voodoo Octave? I don't think I've seen one with a rad kick flip on it.

OutOfPrint posted:

The Voodoo Octave is surprisingly great if you're looking for a lofi fuzz. I love mine.

It's pretty good for a $30-40 pedal. The fuzz doesn't have much punch, but it has presence. The octave isn't ideal but it has an interesting glitchy quality. It's not always on my board, but it's useful enough to sit with my $200-300 pedals. Also, the first week I had it, I accidentally used it with a center positive power supply a couple times and the pedal survived, so it's not too shoddy.

Joyo makes a very similar model and I've seen comments around the web that Joyo have been manufacturing the octave part incorrectly for years. I've always wondered if this Ammoon comes from the same production line, with the same circuit board mistake, just in a different housing. Supposedly it's an easy mod to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Does my pedal order make any sense? Also, I'm getting a reverb pedal (or two) soon, where should I put it/them?
Helpful diagram included.