Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

coolskillrex remix posted:

Whats your setup now? Usually if you have a center channel that means you already have a receiver.

Well, right now I'm not using anything other than TV speakers. When I said "yes", I was just saying that in the past, when I was using a receiver, I had a center channel. I've had two different Onkyo's in the past 15 years and both had the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
So, I'm probably being stupid, but I've got a giftcard balance at amazon and a desire to just get the setup done. Polk psw505 is cheap, and I vaguely recall being fairly well recommended here, usually on sale (60%!)or maybe one of the Klipsh (SW-112?)...

Something comparatively cheap.. 12 is probably perfect for the space. Am I being dumb/impetuous? You decide!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ssjonizuka posted:

Am I being dumb/impetuous? You decide!

Not at all! A decent properly-integrated sub (or more than one) not only adds oomph to movies, but also a subtle solidity to well-recorded music. And it's even better with room calibration, which your receiver supports (Audyssey).

I say blow out the budget and get two subwoofers instead of just one!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The PSW505 is a good sub. It's a little boomy, but it performs very well for its price.

Source: I own one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

The PSW505 is a good sub. It's a little boomy, but it performs very well for its price.

Source: I own one.

Concur. Very happy with mine, especially for the price I paid

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Thermopyle posted:

Well, right now I'm not using anything other than TV speakers. When I said "yes", I was just saying that in the past, when I was using a receiver, I had a center channel. I've had two different Onkyo's in the past 15 years and both had the problem.

Oh

Buying a receiver and left, right, and center will do wonders. Mainly because i just boost the center about three decibels. It helps a lot. I honestly don't use any of that audyssey dynamic volume stuff. But if you need to you can always use that at night. I've tried lots of soundbars with "center" drivers and they all sound like poo poo no matter how much vocal boosting crap they have on their remotes.

It helps to have a heavy duty speaker for the center too, one that won't suffer compression issues. I'd spend $250 on a receiver and $200 each on the speakers. They'll last forever and make a world of difference.

If you need recommendations for speakers let us know

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

coolskillrex remix posted:

Buying a receiver and left, right, and center will do wonders. Mainly because i just boost the center about three decibels. It helps a lot.

Right...I'm saying that I have had receivers and good speakers in the past. I've just never been happy with the quality of dialog I could get out of it without constantly having to adjust the center channel.

That's why I'm asking if any receivers are known as being particularly good at doing this automatically via DRC or whatever.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm looking to setup a theater in our basement. I'm thinking of getting the Onkyo TX-NR636 and using my old speakers from my previous setup. The speakers I have are JBL Venue series, Stadium, Balcony and the Voice. Is it worth keeping the speakers or should I just bit the bullet and upgrade those as well? I have a different subwoofer, I want to say one of the more highly recommended Polk ones, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

calandryll posted:

I'm looking to setup a theater in our basement. I'm thinking of getting the Onkyo TX-NR636 and using my old speakers from my previous setup. The speakers I have are JBL Venue series, Stadium, Balcony and the Voice. Is it worth keeping the speakers or should I just bit the bullet and upgrade those as well? I have a different subwoofer, I want to say one of the more highly recommended Polk ones, I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you like how they sound then there's no reason to upgrade, plus Onkyo's mic will help calibrate them.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Is it worth keeping the speakers or should I just bit the bullet and upgrade those as well?

Set them up and see how you like them after calibration. If you decide to get new ones, you have a fresh memory of what your old ones sound like for comparison purposes. Wouldn't it be annoying to buy new speakers and find out afterwards that your old speakers sound better?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Proper calibration can make even mediocre speakers should pretty good, and bad (or no) calibration can make even the best speakers sound like poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

And whatever you do, don't read the AVSforum thread about them or else you'll convince yourself you NEED new ones because they don't reproduce some SUPER IMPORTANT FREQUENCY which ruins performance (it really doesn't).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its funny because AVSforums is the down to earth "level headed" audio forum, compared to lots of other audiophile snake oil forums. But holy poo poo if you read enough of it you will have major tinkering to do with every bit of gear you own. And pretty soon you'll be like "I'd like to buy that pair of used $3000 LaScala speakers on craigslist but then I'll need to get the aftermarket crossover circuits!"

Or you get into the more hardcore subforums where everyone only recommends used ugly professional PA gear

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jonathan posted:

Its funny because AVSforums is the down to earth "level headed" audio forum, compared to lots of other audiophile snake oil forums. But holy poo poo if you read enough of it you will have major tinkering to do with every bit of gear you own. And pretty soon you'll be like "I'd like to buy that pair of used $3000 LaScala speakers on craigslist but then I'll need to get the aftermarket crossover circuits!"

Or you get into the more hardcore subforums where everyone only recommends used ugly professional PA gear

:shittypop:

Hooooly crap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Set the volume past 1 and you'll go deaf in short order. :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
106db sensitivity lol

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've recently moved and my audio room (PC/movies/music etc) is now MUCH bigger and before I run tons of cable everywhere, is there some kind of wireless audio bridge that let's me have AVR > short wire > wireless transmitter >>>>> wireless receiver > short wire > speaker ?

2 issues I can see:

1) Would the audio quality be as unstable as wifi internet can be?
2) The transmitter would have to somehow power the speaker with 100w of power.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 27, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, there are wireless bridge setups, and also just transmitters and receivers that you can run to an extra amp of your choice.

I'm not sure what the devices are called or what brands are good though. If you do the transmitter/receiver dongle and use a stereo amp to power the rear, it shouldn't be too pricey. On top of that your calibration function of your receiver should account for any delay and tone differences of the second amp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Outlaw makes an inexpensive one with a built in amp.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Thanks! :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Saw a New Egg Flash sale with these for 50% off:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16882290269&ignorebbr=1

Lot of people swear by Polk... good buy at that price, I assume?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuzz posted:

Saw a New Egg Flash sale with these for 50% off:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16882290269&ignorebbr=1

Lot of people swear by Polk... good buy at that price, I assume?

Not sure on pricing, the monitor line up is like the cheap budget end of their serious stuff. The best bang for the buck if you will.

I'd really like to hear a demo of the Polk Monitor vs the Andrew Jones Pioneer stuff in person. Not sure which I'd like more.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at putting a pair of speakers in my bedroom so i can listen to music while i'm reading either in my chair or in bed, since I'm tired of headphones. The bed and chair are facing opposite directions, and at opposite ends of the room. Where should I put the speakers? They'll probably be bookshelf speakers on some form of wall mount eventually, for the moment (until I determine how poo poo they sound) they'll be a pair of Energy ACT1 satellites that I got for free. These, if anyone is wondering.

This is the floor plan. I'm not concerned about running wires, just trying to figure out where to put the speakers.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Thermopyle posted:

Right...I'm saying that I have had receivers and good speakers in the past. I've just never been happy with the quality of dialog I could get out of it without constantly having to adjust the center channel.

That's why I'm asking if any receivers are known as being particularly good at doing this automatically via DRC or whatever.

Most center channels are really not engineering well due to inherent issues with the speaker being on its side, namely comb filtering. A Woofer tweeter
Midrange woofer layout is usually the bare minimum needed to overcome comb filtering and have something come close to measuring well.

Emotiva has a new line of speakers coming out that look really promising for the price.

http://audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/emotiva-airmotiv-preview

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So what's the verdict on HDbaseT? I'm going to be installing cat6 and redoing coax with RG6 throughout my entire house and centralizing my equipment sounds nice, but how's the real world performance of this kind of system? any big flaws, other than price?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I use HDbaseT at work for large auditoriums and it is utterly rock solid. Specifically a bunch of these: http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Advanced-HDBaseT-Extender/dp/B00U1NV04G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454393067&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+base+t

Only issues I've ever run into are combining it with HDMI splitters. Can't see that happening at home. I also have a Blackmagic ATEM that can't be fed by HDBase-T, but it can't be fed by any HDMI cord over 6' either, so it's just picky.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Currently have ghetto 2.1 setup (2x Fluance SX6, 1x cheap craigslist sony sub, 1x SMSL SA-36 with 24v power supply) running off of the variable-volume RCA outputs from my TV. I'm looking to move up in the world a little. I don't really feel like putting in the work to run surrounds yet (apartment, inconvenient room shape, pets, etc) but I was thinking about possibly going 3.1. I've had a few issues with downmixing rendering dialog really hard to pick out (the Se7en blu-ray mix was especially terrible about this) so I feel like getting a center channel and something actually capable of decoding a surround signal properly might be a good idea.

So, essentially, what's the absolute cheapest (refurb acceptable) 5.1 HDMI receiver that it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy? I'm a fairly poor college student trying to stay within the range of "magnitudes better than a soundbar for the same price".

As far as center choice, I remember reading a while back that the Fluance AVC center was actually the proper match for the SX6 rather than fluance's actual SX series center channel, but I'm not seeing the AVC for sale on amazon anymore which is a bummer. I suppose I'll have to do more research into this because I don't have the space to just slap another SX6 on it's side or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A center channel speaker isn't a magic solution for a lovely mix, some movies just aren't done well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fruit Chewy posted:

Currently have ghetto 2.1 setup (2x Fluance SX6, 1x cheap craigslist sony sub, 1x SMSL SA-36 with 24v power supply) running off of the variable-volume RCA outputs from my TV. I'm looking to move up in the world a little. I don't really feel like putting in the work to run surrounds yet (apartment, inconvenient room shape, pets, etc) but I was thinking about possibly going 3.1. I've had a few issues with downmixing rendering dialog really hard to pick out (the Se7en blu-ray mix was especially terrible about this) so I feel like getting a center channel and something actually capable of decoding a surround signal properly might be a good idea.

So, essentially, what's the absolute cheapest (refurb acceptable) 5.1 HDMI receiver that it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy? I'm a fairly poor college student trying to stay within the range of "magnitudes better than a soundbar for the same price".

As far as center choice, I remember reading a while back that the Fluance AVC center was actually the proper match for the SX6 rather than fluance's actual SX series center channel, but I'm not seeing the AVC for sale on amazon anymore which is a bummer. I suppose I'll have to do more research into this because I don't have the space to just slap another SX6 on it's side or something.

The Denon E300 is under 300 on Accessories4less and comes with Audyssey Bronze.

I'd get whatever reciever from Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo that has some kind of calibration that you can afford.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

qirex posted:

A center channel speaker isn't a magic solution for a lovely mix, some movies just aren't done well.

Ive seen the se7en blu-ray, i had no problem hearing dialogue on my cambridge soundworks newton M80. Most receivers really arent fit to downmix to 2 stereo channel. For clarity of dialogue theres seriously no better investment than a new center channel.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I have a giant TV hooked up to a PC with an old set of small 5.1 speakers which are designed more for a desk than a couch+ TV setup. This makes my living room a mess of wires and I want to fix it with some new speakers. I have tons of space but not tons of money, I don't really want to spend more than a few hundred dollars at most since my current setup works fine it's just a mess.

What kind of speakers should I look at? I'm thinking some kind of big floor speakers would work best but I've never shopped for speakers before.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have a giant TV hooked up to a PC with an old set of small 5.1 speakers which are designed more for a desk than a couch+ TV setup. This makes my living room a mess of wires and I want to fix it with some new speakers. I have tons of space but not tons of money, I don't really want to spend more than a few hundred dollars at most since my current setup works fine it's just a mess.

What kind of speakers should I look at? I'm thinking some kind of big floor speakers would work best but I've never shopped for speakers before.

A matching set up front (L/C/R) and then use whatever you want for the satellites.

I can't tell you what speakers to get because that's a personal preference. The ELAC Andrew Jones speakers are getting some drat good reviews and the price is pretty good. The question is, do you have a receiver to drive said speakers? Do you need a subwoofer too?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

A matching set up front (L/C/R) and then use whatever you want for the satellites.

I can't tell you what speakers to get because that's a personal preference. The ELAC Andrew Jones speakers are getting some drat good reviews and the price is pretty good. The question is, do you have a receiver to drive said speakers? Do you need a subwoofer too?

The speakers have a subwoofer that everything plugs into, and then one speaker (front right) that has the volume dial, power button, and the connection to the computer (black, green, and orange connectors). There's and HDMI cable connecting the computer to the TV for video only. I probably don't even need satellites, I'm not terribly picky about audio and the current ones are just sitting on the TV stand.

I think that means that I don't have a receiver and I may or may not need a subwoofer depending on how fancy I go on the speakers?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need to replace everything. Craigslist is going to be your best bet, I think.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm 99% sure you cant use other speakers with the woofer like that.

Edit:

You want to do

PC->Receiver w/HDMI-> TV w/HDMI

And your speakers come out of the receiver.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had my newer (still slightly older) Onkyo receiver (TX-NR509) poo poo the bed. It appears the transformer took a poo poo. I'm using an older unit as a backup but it does lack a BUNCH of features (an old Onkyo TX-SR505, HDMI audio passthrough only, no OSD, no Bluetooth, no atmos, etc)

I'd like to upgrade.

The theater is running 5.1 (5 = Andrew Jones Pioneer all the way around (two floor +center up front, and 2 bookshelves as the rear), with the .1 being a polk 10" sub. (i do have a second one available if i wanted to do 5/7.1/2 (i have extra speakers that could fill in the height/surround/atmos if i wanted to.

I need to do everything over HDMI as optical doesn't allow configuring the speakers through windows. (ie: it wont do 5.1 unless its DTS/DD pass-through from Kodi vs HDMI and configuring windows to "know" its doing 5.1)

I'm open to other brands, and my budget is trying to stay below 600 if i can. (below $500 would be even better. I'm ok with amazon warehouse deals as well/don't need new)

Items i've looked at:

Onkyo NR636 - $450 The newer is the 646 but i don't know enough to tell if its worth the +$100

Refurb Denon AVRX1200W - $399

Denon 2200 - $500

Pioneer VSX-1130-K - $400

Thoughts?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I don't know if it's still the site to use but when I was shopping for receivers I was told to use http://www.accessories4less.com/
I haven't used the site in a couple years, but I bought a refurbed Denon (model number escapes me at the moment), got a good price, and love the receiver.

I also prefer Denon's over the other brand, but I'm sure that's more personal taste and perceived difference over actual measurable ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I had my newer (still slightly older) Onkyo receiver (TX-NR509) poo poo the bed. It appears the transformer took a poo poo. I'm using an older unit as a backup but it does lack a BUNCH of features (an old Onkyo TX-SR505, HDMI audio passthrough only, no OSD, no Bluetooth, no atmos, etc)

I'd like to upgrade.

The theater is running 5.1 (5 = Andrew Jones Pioneer all the way around (two floor +center up front, and 2 bookshelves as the rear), with the .1 being a polk 10" sub. (i do have a second one available if i wanted to do 5/7.1/2 (i have extra speakers that could fill in the height/surround/atmos if i wanted to.

I need to do everything over HDMI as optical doesn't allow configuring the speakers through windows. (ie: it wont do 5.1 unless its DTS/DD pass-through from Kodi vs HDMI and configuring windows to "know" its doing 5.1)

I'm open to other brands, and my budget is trying to stay below 600 if i can. (below $500 would be even better. I'm ok with amazon warehouse deals as well/don't need new)

Items i've looked at:

Onkyo NR636 - $450 The newer is the 646 but i don't know enough to tell if its worth the +$100

Refurb Denon AVRX1200W - $399

Denon 2200 - $500

Pioneer VSX-1130-K - $400

Thoughts?

Do you need any of the following:

-Bluetooth
-4K passthrough
-4K upscaling
-Airplay
-Wi-Fi
-Spotify Connect
-Analog upscaling
-Room correction

As for where to buy from:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

Do you need any of the following:

-Bluetooth - Is a nice bonus, esp when i move and possibly use the 2nd zone for kitchen/deck speakers while entertaining.
-4K passthrough/4K upscaling - No. Projector is a Benq 1080p
-Airplay - Only one iphone in the house, so no.
-Wi-Fi - Currently the receiver is right next to the router so no/maybe
-Spotify Connect - No
-Analog upscaling - Probably not, no LP/tape decks
-Room correction - It's always nice to have the autoEQ to start form and tweaking starting point

Also, I have mostly Amazon Gift Cards so unless the deal is stupid good, i'd still probably buy from them.

Edit: holy gently caress those are insanely good prices

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 16, 2016