Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RossMan4Life posted:

Hey, I just reset & changed my password and the Awful app isn't picking up my cookies or prompting a pw. Restarted my phone, still nothing. Android 7.1.1 on an Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. Tried clearing my stored username, restarted, still no luck. I assume I'm being an idiot, but let me know if I can submit something that helps identify the issue.

Love the app, btw, haven't used a browser for SA in a long time.

You can't log in? Or it hasn't logged you out? (It won't, you'd need to sign out in the navigation drawer/hamburger menu on the left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Yep, it was me being an idiot. I read right over the logout text.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That label could do with being changed though 🤔

Did it cause problems though? Was it acting like you weren't logged in but without showing the login screen?

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I just kept getting 'loading failed' or whatever it says when refreshing. Connected fine now though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm ok, that probably needs fixing. Thanks!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thank you for fixing Twitter embeds. That was super annoying.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yes thank you for the last update!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TIL you can long press smiles to get their bbcode. Nice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Double post but it's been nearly a day.

Does the app try to auto-fill images when they're linked with url tags instead of img/timg, and can that be turned into a separate option?

I found this post in the OSHA thread and the app auto loaded some :nms: content. Quoting the post showed it was linked not img/timg.

Collateral Damage posted:

Hot from the China thread:

https://url

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Uh

there's no reason that should happen unless something's starting the app. Is the app actually closed (like not in your task switcher) or is it in the background there?

Yes, not in the task switcher or working in the background. It will just load up on both of my phones asking me to log in randomly whenever I unlock my phones.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nth Doctor posted:

Double post but it's been nearly a day.

Does the app try to auto-fill images when they're linked with url tags instead of img/timg, and can that be turned into a separate option?

I found this post in the OSHA thread and the app auto loaded some :nms: content. Quoting the post showed it was linked not img/timg.

That's not an image but a video. Which may or may not be automatically embedded depending on your settings (just like it would in a normal browser btw). The app currently does not care about NMS/NWS emoticons in the post or the videos being spoilered, though it will in a future update (the code is already written).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Migishu posted:

Yes, not in the task switcher or working in the background. It will just load up on both of my phones asking me to log in randomly whenever I unlock my phones.

Is anyone else getting this?

Honestly there's no reason that should happen at all - we don't run any background services or anything, the app is dead until you decide to run it. I guess it's possible that something screwy could be happening with a library, but you'd expect to see that more often...

Since it's both phones, are you running anything that might encourage it to open? Something that opens links to the site, something that tries to poll the app for notification badges for icons, that kind of thing. Also are you actually logged out? Or is it just the popup version that's logged out, and when you intentionally open the app you're signed in?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

That's not an image but a video. Which may or may not be automatically embedded depending on your settings (just like it would in a normal browser btw). The app currently does not care about NMS/NWS emoticons in the post or the videos being spoilered, though it will in a future update (the code is already written).

Welp, that could do it I suppose. I just enabled video embedding last week, too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Honestly there's no reason that should happen at all - we don't run any background services or anything, the app is dead until you decide to run it. I guess it's possible that something screwy could be happening with a library, but you'd expect to see that more often...

Since it's both phones, are you running anything that might encourage it to open? Something that opens links to the site, something that tries to poll the app for notification badges for icons, that kind of thing. Also are you actually logged out? Or is it just the popup version that's logged out, and when you intentionally open the app you're signed in?

I don't think this is an Awful issue. A Google search for "android app opening when unlocking phone" turns up a whole bunch of forums posts from people trying to figure out this exact issue happening with random apps. I'm guessing it's either malware or a buggy app gone crazy with too many permissions especially based on this thread which is the only one that seems to have definitive solutions. Find & remove the offending app/malware and I'm guessing the problem will stop.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well that's why I'm asking really, if it's just one person on both their devices that sounds more like something they have installed. But it's always possible something weird is going on for some people, so it doesn't hurt to ask!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

No, nothing. And i'm 100% logged off on both phones.

Only thing I can think of that might cause it is if the app gets updated and automatically tries to parse credentials, fails, then opens up. Not sure how often the app gets updated but if I see an update notification around the same time I'll let you know.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

I don't think this is an Awful issue. A Google search for "android app opening when unlocking phone" turns up a whole bunch of forums posts from people trying to figure out this exact issue happening with random apps. I'm guessing it's either malware or a buggy app gone crazy with too many permissions especially based on this thread which is the only one that seems to have definitive solutions. Find & remove the offending app/malware and I'm guessing the problem will stop.

I'll double check this as well, thanks.

Weird it's only the Awful app though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Migishu posted:

I'll double check this as well, thanks.

Weird it's only the Awful app though

First app alphabetically on your phone, somehow?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

baka kaba posted:

I haven't had it happen with this app, but I've had a few other apps lately that seem to randomly open for no reason.

Gadzuko posted:

I honestly was planning to factory reset my phone because I figured it somehow got infected, but maybe this will help. Oh well, I've got nothing better to do today if not.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

vortmax posted:

I haven't had it happen with this app, but I've had a few other apps lately that seem to randomly open for no reason.

I honestly was planning to factory reset my phone because I figured it somehow got infected, but maybe this will help. Oh well, I've got nothing better to do today if not.

If it's just a permissions thing, you can reset all of you permissions in the Apps settings tab

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
This post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835149&pagenumber=187&perpage=40#post480762241

The list shows as a big blank space instead of black bars. I had to hit quote to figure out what was going on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm yeah the spoiler code doesn't work on blocks huh

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there an easy way to share GIFV or WEBM if I have embedding enabled? Like with images and GIF (and even embedded tweets) can tap it and the share menu pops up, but the same doesn't happen with WEBM and GIFV.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Not at the moment - what I usually do is quote the post, select the link text, hit share in the selection menu and either send it to another app or copy it to the clipboard. Then hit discard on the post

It's a bit awkward yeah, but it's pretty quick when you're used to it. But a proper menu for html 5 content is still on the list

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Thank you for fixing Twitter embeds. That was super annoying.

They're still not working for me so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Hmm yeah the spoiler code doesn't work on blocks huh

Well, at least it does hide the text!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Snacksmaniac posted:

They're still not working for me so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Did you update the app?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Current market version of app, Pixel 1 current on updates.

Animated gifs sometimes pop up a line as they play. The emote in this post displays the behavior but I have seen it in imgur hosted posts as well:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=1378&perpage=40#post480902532

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Midjack posted:

Current market version of app, Pixel 1 current on updates.

Animated gifs sometimes pop up a line as they play. The emote in this post displays the behavior but I have seen it in imgur hosted posts as well:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=1378&perpage=40#post480902532

How do you mean, "pops up a line"? A line pops up, or they move on the page, something like that? Does it happen at the same point in the animation every time?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

How do you mean, "pops up a line"? A line pops up, or they move on the page, something like that? Does it happen at the same point in the animation every time?

It displayed a second copy of the gif that seemed to display behind the first and the top of the second gif was one text line above the original. The line shifted copy animated while the original was static.

Just rechecked and it is not doing it now anywhere but was doing it everywhere at the time of my first post.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

It displayed a second copy of the gif that seemed to display behind the first and the top of the second gif was one text line above the original. The line shifted copy animated while the original was static.

Just rechecked and it is not doing it now anywhere but was doing it everywhere at the time of my first post.

That's a forums feature. I've been seeing it all over in Chrome on the desktop, both Mac and PC.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

That's a forums feature. I've been seeing it all over in Chrome on the desktop, both Mac and PC.

Probably some Chrome fuckery then. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

Probably some Chrome fuckery then. Thanks!

cinci zoo sniper's avatar in YOSPOS seems to be where I see it the most. I've seen it on Shaggar's too, but I've seen it a lot on cinci's. Chrome updated early yesterday so I was assuming that was causing it. I can't replicate it reliably and scrolling way past it and coming back up to the post generally fixes it.

I haven't seen it in the app yet so maybe we're talking about different things.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

When I open a link to a thread it gets stuck. When I hit the bookmarks button the linked thread shows up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

cinci zoo sniper's avatar in YOSPOS seems to be where I see it the most. I've seen it on Shaggar's too, but I've seen it a lot on cinci's. Chrome updated early yesterday so I was assuming that was causing it. I can't replicate it reliably and scrolling way past it and coming back up to the post generally fixes it.

I haven't seen it in the app yet so maybe we're talking about different things.

They're probably related. The app is somewhat related to Chrome on the phone since anytime I'm in the app and Chrome updates, it kicks me out of the app.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

When I open a link to a thread it gets stuck. When I hit the bookmarks button the linked thread shows up.

Getting this too. Marshmallow 6.0.1/Samsung w/ TouchWiz if that matters.

Force stopping and deleting the app cache fixes it when it happens for me.

I'm also having an issue where I'll finish reading the second to last page in a bookmarked thread, and when I hit the 'next page' arrow it dumps me out into bookmarks and marks the last page as read without displaying it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The stuck bookmarks / external link thing got fixed last week! So that'll roll out with the next version - it needed a pretty big overhaul to fix, so it's stuck around for a while

And yeah Chrome and Awful both use the WebView component (kinda like a browser engine) so if there's a rendering glitch in one it's probably in the other. And when WebView updates Android unceremoniously kicks you out of an app that's using it

Farmdizzle posted:

I'm also having an issue where I'll finish reading the second to last page in a bookmarked thread, and when I hit the 'next page' arrow it dumps me out into bookmarks and marks the last page as read without displaying it.

This is pretty weird, is it actually shifting over to the bookmarks page? And is the thread view still open (you can swipe over to it) or is it gone? If it's open, has it updated? And is this all threads or just a few spooky ones?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I was actually thinking that Web View was probably something to do with it, I just had it auto-update on me yesterday. Can't remember what I was doing but BAM I was staring at my home screen all of a sudden for what seemed like no good reason.

E: Re: the jumping to bookmarks, haven't tried swiping back over yet, but I'll let you know next time it happens. Trying to remember exactly but I want to say that it just jumps w/o a transition. FWIW the bookmarks page is updated when it happens so if it's a marked thread it'll show 0 unread on the listing. And yeah seems more spooky than consistent.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 3, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There are some spooky threads in the forums with missing posts that just act screwy (tends to be when there's one new post and it's on a new page), but that shouldn't cause it to swipe over to the bookmarks page. If the thread view is still open then that's what's happened, but if it's not there then the app has restarted for some reason

I mean it's probably fixed by now if it's on our end anyway, but it's worth looking into just in case :frogbon: I definitely remember something like that happening a while back, but you see a lot of things when you run a development version let me tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
You know what? I might be an idiot...

I think I might actually be fat-fingering the back soft button on my phone instead.

:lol: gently caress.

:cripes: