Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Painting figs is fun sometimes but I just want to murk noobs and theres endless minis in an army

Just take my Angry Elves already. God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iceclaw posted:

You mean the same kind of places you can bring your WMH conversions without someone batting an eye?

I'm sort of confused with the point you're trying to make here. Indy WMH events basically don't exist, since major events get PP sanction and follow their rules, etc. the Indy GTs were effectively the only events out there for WFB at the time, and GW had zero control of the format. It was neat, since you had bunches of different stuff out of them, instead of the standardization of Steamroller that really allows people to tee off the format. If there's something outside the PP bubble that exists, point me that way because I'm very interested in what gets done there.

If you're making the argument that WMH conversions wouldn't be allowed, I'm 100% sure that was untrue. One of the first hordes models I saw up close was a conversion that I saw someone using Morvahna2 as the basis for a conversion of a Wood Elf Stag Lord. When you aren't getting support from the company making the game, it turns out you really get to do whatever you want and making something look cool is more important than showcasing any one company's models.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I run the official events at Adepticon. I run the official events at Gencon. I run the main events at WMW. I have never seen a model disallowed due to conversion.

The Steamroller conversion rules are CYA legal fluff, and to pretend like they're iron shackles restraining all artistic expression in the Warmahordes community is absurd and disingenuous.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Just take my Angry Elves already. God.

Ill take the elves... they are fierce and effete

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
rydiafan or any other Minions dudes: I now have Carver, S&D, War Hog, two Gun Boars, Splatter Boar, Brigands+UA, and Rorsch & Brine. What Farrow stuff should I be prioritizing in my next order? A Road Hog or two seems a no brainer, along with a Battle Boar. After that, not so sure. Second Brigand unit, Slaughterhousers maybe? If it's relevant, I own pretty much all the gator stuff and whatnot.

Example lists using Carver or S&D are also welcome!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

rydiafan or any other Minions dudes: I now have Carver, S&D, War Hog, two Gun Boars, Splatter Boar, Brigands+UA, and Rorsch & Brine. What Farrow stuff should I be prioritizing in my next order? A Road Hog or two seems a no brainer, along with a Battle Boar. After that, not so sure. Second Brigand unit, Slaughterhousers maybe? If it's relevant, I own pretty much all the gator stuff and whatnot.

Get you some commandos and Maximus.

I ran a list like this against Alpha Phoenix and it went really well. I modified the list to be the farrow theme and will be trying it out tomorrow;

Minions - Strum and Drang

Theme: Farrow Theme
75/ 75 Army

Steamroller Objective: Bunker
Sturm & Drang - WB: +28
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- War Hog - PC: 15

Meat Thresher - PC: 19

Efaarit Scouts - PC: 6
Efaarit Scouts - PC: 6

Farrow Commandos - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
Farrow Bone Grinders - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Farrow Razorback Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 0
Farrow Razorback Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 0

Here is another theme list with Carver in it;

War Room Army

Minions - Carver

Theme: Farrow Theme
75/ 75 Army

Effigy of Valor - Steamroller Objective

Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq. III - WB: +28
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 5)

Alten Ashley - PC: 5
Maximus - PC: 4

Farrow Brigands - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Farrow Brigand Warlord - PC: 0
Farrow Slaughterhousers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 11

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

rkajdi posted:

Not really. Bad paint jobs can be made to look average with minimal effort. When I've had people ask, I'm more than willing to sit down and show how minimum extra effort gets you to a reasonable paint job. I also do everything possible to combat the idea of pro quality or bust, which is one of the worst things to come out of the internet hobby community. I also want to maybe clarify that I'm also talking about making sure all my stuff is painted, not my opponent's, though I do give preference in playing games with people who want to play with painted figures and real terrain. Sorry if that makes me some sort of cancer that's destroying the hobby.

Hell, there's an easy compromise to show detail on your unpainted figures-- an ink wash shows up the detail and make things way more easy to tell apart. I don't know why we don't ask this as a minimum for event play, same as arc markings. If people are worried that figures aren't immediately identifiable because of conversions, having an unidentifiable sea of primer or metal is at least as big a problem.

Inks/washes/dip are literally the things that make something differentiated from across the table. It's also the lowest effort part of painting, so acting like you shouldn't bother with the easy step to improve figure clarity after the hard part of base coating has been completed. I'm a big fan of dip, and it makes for very striking simple paint schemes that are accessible to honestly anyone with enough co-ordination to put together their figures in the first place.

I agree with everything you said, good post. I personally only play fully painted, and last year I painted 3 50-point Legion lists in a little over a month so I could play my new army painted at a tournament. However, I do that for myself, and if others don't like that part of the hobby, that's fine and their choice.

Whenever I play aganst a paintd army, no matter how good, I will always take the time to compliment the army or a model and acknowledge that my opponent also spent the time and effort so I wouldn't have to fight black primed mans.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I love painting my miniatures but ever since I started playing Warmachine I've never seen anyone in my meta complain about unpainted models on the table. We've got just about every type of player represented from those who never pick up a brush to people who only play fully painted.

Some people just need to chill out about it I think.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You play much Helga? Have a list?

Now that I'm done moving and such, looking to get back into war machine and farrow.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Fyrbrand posted:

All your ideas are on the money, I would prioritize Slaughterhousers over a second Brigand unit. If you don't have them from other factions get some Bone Grinders they are stupid cheap and scary. People tend to ignore them if they haven't come up against them in MK3, often with terrible consequences for their beasts. Also Razor Boars, though I find the 7 points for 2 a little frustrating at times to fit neatly. Everything is really good since the MK3 transition it really depends on how beast/infantry heavy you want to play. I generally think that outside of a few specific warlocks Farrow has more tools to run beast heavy. I am unsure about Commandoes but I also haven't run them nor have I used the theme yet. Though it seems to pretty much give you free stuff with no significant downsides. A personal favorite of mine is Gudrun with Sturm and Drang, his rules have great synergy with their spell list.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The only person I've seen get poo poo on for horrible paint jobs is one local guy who was treating his models like crap and they were only technically assembled, with giant globs of super glue, and they were only "fully painted" so he could play them in fully painted formats. He got crap for it because he could have put in a tiny bit of effort and they would look fine.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

The only person I've seen get poo poo on for horrible paint jobs is one local guy who was treating his models like crap and they were only technically assembled, with giant globs of super glue, and they were only "fully painted" so he could play them in fully painted formats. He got crap for it because he could have put in a tiny bit of effort and they would look fine.

There's a guy in our club who was like that, though not to that degree. He was famous for putting zero real effort into his painting, and then making GBS threads on other people's work pretty hard. It also didn't help that he had really different perceptions of color, so that all his colors were pushed to the brown/black end of the spectrum which made his stuff look like undifferentiated muddy poo poo. His one attempt at a more colorful army was an objective mess, as in the worst priming job I've ever seen by an adult bad. All that said, I'm not sure anyone would have said anything about his stuff if he wasn't such a poo poo bird otherwise.

I know I spent some time trying to help him out with painting, because it was immediately obvious that he was putting real effort into painting but effort != results. A little more time with color scheme would have made his stuff actually look decent, as would have choosing a highlight color that actually shows up from more than an inch away. This was solicited opinion, because I don't think it would be right to just savage some dude's work if he didn't ask for honest criticism.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Friendly Fire posted:

I love painting my miniatures but ever since I started playing Warmachine I've never seen anyone in my meta complain about unpainted models on the table. We've got just about every type of player represented from those who never pick up a brush to people who only play fully painted.

Some people just need to chill out about it I think.

The solution is the carrot, not the stick. I'd love to play against nothing but painted armies, but shaming people into painting is as effective as shaming fat people into dieting. Players, especially new ones, get very intimidated by painting, and the internet rear end in a top hat motto of "if you're not first you're last" doesn't exactly help them out. The thing I've done to help a lot of these guys out has been to show how easy painting stuff with low effort, high results techniques can be. You end up with stuff that's a 5 or 6/10, but it doesn't take very long and looks way better than the 0/10 for not much more effort. It was also useful to explain that colorful armies aren't some hard technique, it's just choosing the right colors from the start and building them up in the most obvious possible ways.

It's just crazy to me seeing this much less engagement with the hobby side of things in a game that has in many cases an order of magnitude less models than GW ones. The time it took me to paint an average unit in WFB could get me most of any army done in Warmachine.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

The solution is the carrot, not the stick. I'd love to play against nothing but painted armies, but shaming people into painting is as effective as shaming fat people into dieting. Players, especially new ones, get very intimidated by painting, and the internet rear end in a top hat motto of "if you're not first you're last" doesn't exactly help them out. The thing I've done to help a lot of these guys out has been to show how easy painting stuff with low effort, high results techniques can be. You end up with stuff that's a 5 or 6/10, but it doesn't take very long and looks way better than the 0/10 for not much more effort. It was also useful to explain that colorful armies aren't some hard technique, it's just choosing the right colors from the start and building them up in the most obvious possible ways.

It's just crazy to me seeing this much less engagement with the hobby side of things in a game that has in many cases an order of magnitude less models than GW ones. The time it took me to paint an average unit in WFB could get me most of any army done in Warmachine.

People don't even always have fully painted armies for Infinity, a game where it is unusual to have more than like 15 models in a tournament sized army. I rather like how my army for that game is (slowly) coming along, but I haven't had much time recently to paint.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

counterspin posted:

I've had more friend quit the game due to the pressure to paint than I've had friends who joined because of paint jobs.

loving A that's so true. I know at least 3 dudes who quit because they didn't like the hobby side at all and there's a couple of 'got to poo poo on your unpainted army every time' bozos around.

Edit: PS I'm calling people bozo now, that's my new thing.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to spend 150 hours assembling mans and filing them and pinning and painting and whatever. Pretty simple concept, and it's half the reason whfb is dead.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I set a personal rule for myself to never play unpainted models in a public event. I don't judge anybody else, it's just my thing.

Mainly because I hope my lovely paint jobs will distract from my lovely play.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually love painting and modeling stuff, I honestly prefer it to playing most of the games, but I work pretty slowly and it doesn't help that I get very little time to work on my hobbies anymore. I can field a fully painted force, but if ever want to use something new or hot in the meta, I basically going to be stuck using unpainted stuff. I already feel bad about it on my own, please don't assume that people using unpainted stuff aren't interested in getting it done. :(

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ashcans posted:

I actually love painting and modeling stuff, I honestly prefer it to playing most of the games, but I work pretty slowly and it doesn't help that I get very little time to work on my hobbies anymore. I can field a fully painted force, but if ever want to use something new or hot in the meta, I basically going to be stuck using unpainted stuff. I already feel bad about it on my own, please don't assume that people using unpainted stuff aren't interested in getting it done. :(

Yeah. If I had say the free time I had five years ago, painting the new stuff wouldn't be a problem.

As it is, most of my painting is warbeasts and casters. I just hate painting infantry. I paint slow enough that anything that gets done needs to be significant.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The disconnect between the internet descriptions of social interactions in wargaming vs the reality never cease to amaze me. Where are all these Paint Thugs, and how can I join their gang? Legitimately if someone gives a gently caress enough about my models to say something negative to my face about them, as a functioning adult I will either a) tell them where to put their opinions or b) shrug because I assume this person is a tactless autist.

c), go cry on the internet about it and quit the game never really occurred to me as an option I guess. Anyone want to buy some menoth? Im starting Heroclix

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

You play much Helga? Have a list?

Now that I'm done moving and such, looking to get back into war machine and farrow.

Helga I'll actually break theme for because Defenders Ward on jamming Croaks and later Def 16 Nyss are just too good to pass up.

Effigy of Valor - Steamroller Objective

Helga the Conquerer - WB: +29
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Battle Boar - PC: 7

Wrong Eye - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw: 17
- Snapjaw
Gatorman Witch Doctor - PC: 4
Totem Hunter - PC: 6
Maximus - PC: 4

Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - Cylena & 9 Grunts: 19
Croak Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 17

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 29, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

PaintVagrant posted:

The disconnect between the internet descriptions of social interactions in wargaming vs the reality never cease to amaze me. Where are all these Paint Thugs, and how can I join their gang?

So there's one guy in particular who will never not bring up that your army isn't painted. Then he'll inspect your painted minis and never has a positive thing to say about them.

I've flat out told him I don't give a gently caress about painting but if I say "so shut the gently caress up about it" he's the sort of guy who will feel like he's empowered now and has something over you and will bring it up even more. Spoiler alert: I don't play against this guy anymore, but there's a lot of people in this community who aren't good at social interaction and confrontation. For those people this guy's schtick is more than annoying it's probably closer to bullying and they probably actually feel really bad about the state of their models, feel overwhelmed by painting and I know at least contributes to why they quit citing the hobby side as the reason.

Or I just made this all up and every gaming community is full of wonderfully-adjusted human beings who can talk out their differences of opinion.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Never forget you are part of a terrible hobby full of terrible people.

And posting on the internet about it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Fyrbrand posted:

Never forget you are part of a terrible hobby full of terrible people.

And posting on the internet about it.

I really need to add anime and civil war recreation to my resume so I can really round out what a nerd I am.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

I really need to add anime and civil war recreation to my resume so I can really round out what a nerd I am.

A good friend I met through this hobby was also deep into civil war reenacting for a long time. He got out because mandolly hobbyists are super sane and well-adjusted compared to the reenactment scene.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

fnordcircle posted:

If your getting in to anime re:Zero Starting Life in Another World and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure are the way to go.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Here's a distraction from painting chat, with pictures of mandollies. Sorry about the lighting, my lamp had just died on me.

With an attempt at freehanding a skull on the shield here:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There is no painting guy at my local store

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Anyone have a recommendation for a good quality mat for playing this on? I've bought some of the 2D terrain, and my initial plan was just to get a 4x4 section of green felt, but if there are good mats out there that won't wear out quickly, then I might pick up one of those for Christmas break.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Excelsiortothemax posted:

If your getting in to anime re:Zero Starting Life in Another World and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure are the way to go.

If I'm ever lost in the woods I'm going to say, out loud, "I've never seen a good anime."

Guaranteed within 30 minutes I'll have talked to at least 6 anime nerds who tell me I just have to try Bleach or Urotsukidoji or whatever.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fnordcircle posted:

If I'm ever lost in the woods I'm going to say, out loud, "I've never seen a good anime."

Guaranteed within 30 minutes I'll have talked to at least 6 anime nerds who tell me I just have to try Bleach or Urotsukidoji or whatever.

Thats how you summon the Kawaii Anime Thugs

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

fnordcircle posted:

fnordcircle posted:

I've heard that La Blue Girl has an amazing story and that the plot has some amazing twists.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

War Eagle posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good quality mat for playing this on? I've bought some of the 2D terrain, and my initial plan was just to get a 4x4 section of green felt, but if there are good mats out there that won't wear out quickly, then I might pick up one of those for Christmas break.

http://store.frontlinegaming.org/fat-mats

The Frontline Gaming mats are great. It'll be about $70 with shipping for a 4x4 mat but, they last forever and come with a carrying bag.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

waah posted:

I've heard that La Blue Girl has an amazing story and that the plot has some amazing twists.

It is pure quality and everyone should watch it. Preferably with any significant others they have, they will enjoy it with you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The trick with animu is to only watch post 2006 english dubs but to avoid anything with the 'ecchi' (child porn) tag.

I'll watch like 1 or maybe 2 a year y'all should watch Saiki K it's rad as gently caress.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
N e ways where the gently caress are my troll book spoilers come on mangs.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've gotten cranky about people being allowed to play with unpainted minis when the tournament was advertised as fully painted only.

Anime chat always makes me cranky.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I like playing Stryker 2 because his entire gimmick is anime yelling

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress happened to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I like playing Stryker 2 because his entire gimmick is anime yelling

I say kaio-ken times three when I use stryker2's power. I also refer to him as Goku Stryker, or Darth Stryker, Edge Lord of Cygnar.

At one event, I legit shouted witness me and sprayed my mouth with silver cake spray before doing my assassination run with Stryker2.

People say I have a problem, but they are just jealous of how stupidly absurd stryker2 plays.

EDIT:

Fyrbrand posted:

What the gently caress happened to this thread

:anime: happened. Thread derailed.

Mods knew.

TheInvisiblePooka fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 29, 2016