Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQ7 came out at about the same time I was playing through Witcher 3. Both complimented each other in a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I might start a new thread for the 3DS, or maybe wait til Persona Q2 comes out as that final closure.

Grad school has been kicking my rear end, but I intend to start a podcast about the DS/3DS once I have some more free time. I'm thinking maybe June would be a perfect time to launch that.

What about?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which? Staring a new thread? It'd be a post-death thread, probably about the DS/3DS line of Nintendo handhelds.

Or my podcast idea? Yeah, kinda the same thing. I don't have a gimmick. I just wanna make a podcast where I talk about neat DS/3DS games and series. I have a shitload of them, so it would also be a convenient way to get my rear end to play them too. Streaming might make more sense but I don't have the money, setup, or face for that. I do have all the stuff needed for podcasting and a lovely speaking voice, however.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wouldn't bother with a new thread given the 3DS has maybe 3-6 months of life left at best. Rhere's not a lot you can update the OP with aside from "last one out, turn off the lights".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll write up a new thread in June. Encouraging people to turn those very lights on!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll write up a new thread in June. Encouraging people to turn those very lights on!

It's very much dead. EB Games is actively dumping stock at clearance prices, and the next step is going to be bargain-bin prices on the 2/3DS consoles themselves. Quite possibly as part of this same sale eventually.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh I know it's dead and less and less relevant. It's gonna be entering a new phase. Combined with the DS, it has a strong library of going back 15 years, with tons of unique games that won't be ported anywhere anytime soon. Plus it's a treasure trove of jRPGs. It's not quite retro yet, but whatever. I love my dead gay 3DS.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Game on your 3DS in 2019 COWARD

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guess I'll throw my 3DS in the garbage in 3-6 months since it won't work no more

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

Guess I'll throw my 3DS in the garbage in 3-6 months since it won't work no more

Console threads have a pretty consistent history of dying out with the console in question :shrug:.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Console threads have a pretty consistent history of dying out with the console in question :shrug:.

Would pointing out how that's not at all true stop you from posting worthless poo poo like this?

Do you have some kind of witch's curse that forces you to read and post in 3DS threads even if you think the console is no longer going to be... worth talking about? Worth playing?

The amount of new games has already slowed down to a trickle and the games are going on clearance, which is why I'm now recommending picking it up because it has an amazing library of games you can get for cheap. Given the gigantic install base, I don't think we've quite seen the last of it, though. The Wii had new games on it for an incredible amount of time.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
And people might still get them as gifts, etc. I'm tempted to pick up a new 2DS XL before they completely disappear in case my 3DS bites it.

But I have a huge backlog.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Let's not forget they're considering a follow-up device

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/nintendo_is_considering_a_successor_to_the_3ds_according_to_its_new_president

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Really doubt that’ll happen with how well the Switch is selling. I think a smaller more portable Switch is more likely.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Double post

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I still need to get a new battery for my 3DS. I should just bite the bullet, I just wasn't sure about those ones available on Amazon, and I can't buy from NOA due to not being in North America.

Also I need to get back to DQ7 at some point, yeah the start has pacing issues but after that it picks up. Persona 4 is the same, it takes ages to actually get into a fight in that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Really doubt that’ll happen with how well the Switch is selling. I think a smaller more portable Switch is more likely.

They also merged their handheld and hardware divisions years ago, so they'd have to pull guys away from Switch development, and that's pretty unlikely. Not to mention they make a pretty good argument against it in the article with the mobile games division taking off. There's just not a market case for one to exist anymore with the Switch covering handheld and home gaming, and Mobile games covering anything else.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh I know it's dead and less and less relevant. It's gonna be entering a new phase. Combined with the DS, it has a strong library of going back 15 years, with tons of unique games that won't be ported anywhere anytime soon. Plus it's a treasure trove of jRPGs. It's not quite retro yet, but whatever. I love my dead gay 3DS.

Ah, I getcha now :doh:.

endlessmonotony posted:

The amount of new games has already slowed down to a trickle and the games are going on clearance, which is why I'm now recommending picking it up because it has an amazing library of games you can get for cheap. Given the gigantic install base, I don't think we've quite seen the last of it, though. The Wii had new games on it for an incredible amount of time.

I also highly recommend both DS's to people as there's some fantastic games on both system and I've been telling people in this very thread to get games now while they're cheap and findable. That said, the only games that are coming out are a couple of ports that quite possibly only exist to try and stall for time until Persona Q2 gets out the door by June. There's just no real potential for a sudden influx of fresh titles, because developers have simply moved on to the Switch out of practicality for multiplatform releases. Also the Wii's last good game (aside from TECHNICALLY Rodea the Sky Soldier bundled with the WiiU version) was Pandora's Tower in 2012. Everything after that was licensed trash made VERY cheaply, and Just Dance iterations, and you're just not going to see even that happen for the 3DS. The only actual new exclusives coming to the 3DS this year that aren't ports of an older game are Persona Q2 and Etrian Odyssey Nexus, and even those are only world-wide releases of games that came out in August and November of 2018. They're also quite probably the 3DS's last retail releases.

irlZaphod posted:

I still need to get a new battery for my 3DS. I should just bite the bullet, I just wasn't sure about those ones available on Amazon, and I can't buy from NOA due to not being in North America.

Just bite the bullet and get it now while you can, it's either now or rolling the dice on random eBay listings on second-hand ones and knockoffs forevermore.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

A smaller, portable (no joycons) and undockable switch would be the perfect followup- device, imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avalerion posted:

A smaller, portable (no joycons) and undockable switch would be the perfect followup- device, imo.

It really wouldn't. It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper, but once you start looking at the details it breaks down very quickly. Just from a development standpoint, there's a baseline hardware expectation of two JoyCons with waggle and HD Rumble, local multiplayer, the IR camera in the right JoyCon, and hardware specs that alternate depending on whether it's docked or not. Now, granted, most games don't use all that but they're still generally designed with the safe assumption they exist from one-man indie project to major studio releases. Take the JoyCons away and... now you can't play Super Mario Party, use Labo Kits, or 1-2-Switch (a big loss in that last one, I know, but just for argument's sake), or any other/future titles with similar controller requirements.

So buy extra JoyCons just for those, you say, and... well now you've almost certainly paid the worth of a full-size Switch in total, with JoyCons that can't be charged on the console itself. So add another $10-20AUD for a charger, and we've burned quite a bit of money unnecessarily now. You're also maybe looking at some readability issues in some games due to the smaller screen, and local multiplayer's pretty much a non-starter on a relatively-tiny screen designed for a single user's perspective.

All you have left is a device that's inferior to the regular model in every way, and no real benefit to market it that doesn't answer the question "why wouldn't I pay extra for a full-size Switch instead?"

That said; just size-wise, a Switch 'Pocket' isn't entirely impossible. The difference being, (if it's possible to get the hardware into a smaller form factor), it'd likely just a smaller core unit, with standard JoyCons hanging off the sides and probably an adapter for a standard Dock.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo's clearly on to a good thing with the Switch and who knows what the video game market is going to look like even a year from now? I really don't see why everyone thinks Nintendo is obviously going to release a Switch hardware revision, there's no upside to it; more powerful is still weaker than their competitors, less powerful is competing with phones and tablets, and either way is needlessly dividing their userbase. One of the Switch's best strengths is staking out a middle ground between PCs/dedicated consoles and mobile devices.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want a new dual-screen clamshell portable that plays new games and is backwards-compatible with 3DS and DS games but I'm not holding my breath. Nintendo has said that they feel the Switch is a home console and didn't rule out a new dedicated portable, but the Switch is obviously also a portable and they're likely to see a new dedicated portable as only having the potential to cut into Switch sales.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I want a new dual-screen clamshell portable that plays new games and is backwards-compatible with 3DS and DS games but I'm not holding my breath.

That's just... the New 2Ds :confused:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Everyone knows the Switch is the *counts on fingers* uh fifth pillar. Where that GBA successor at, Nintendo?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's just... the New 2Ds :confused:

Oh yeah, the product that's discontinued, has single-digit exclusive games, and no more games scheduled for it and also is a slight late-life upgrade of a much older system. That's exactly what I want here

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want more Pushmos

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want more Pushmos

Mallo will be the last DLC fighter in Smash.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm skeptical too, but look at it this way. They were confident enough to say aloud that they were considering a 3DS alternative, and also confident enough to disavow a Switch sidegrade at this time

Despite all our headcanons about what the Switch is, Nintendo has been very forthright about what they see it as, aswell as what form factor and pricepoint the 3DS has been directed at

Would be weird to see the company have no big hardware reveals for years at a time when they draw the most attention, aswell as save them in years when a system is doing poorly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

I'm skeptical too, but look at it this way. They were confident enough to say aloud that they were considering a 3DS alternative, and also confident enough to disavow a Switch sidegrade at this time

Despite all our headcanons about what the Switch is, Nintendo has been very forthright about what they see it as, aswell as what form factor and pricepoint the 3DS has been directed at

Would be weird to see the company have no big hardware reveals for years at a time when they draw the most attention, aswell as save them in years when a system is doing poorly

The big problem is there's nowhere for a new portable to go though that doesn't actively compete against the Switch, and that "considering a new handheld" line can be taken with the same amount of salt as "The DS is a third pillar, not a GBA replacement". Handheld hardware has caught up with home console-quality offerings, (the Vita proved that eight years ago, nevermind the Switch itself), and all you can really wind up with is something deliberately-underpowered that arbitrarily sits somewhere between 3DS-quality graphics and Switch-quality graphics (which are around PS3/X360-level, if not a bit better).

Even if you make it a new DS model with full backwards-compatibility, it doesn't have 3D to at least raise some interest off the neat gimmick, and all the small-tier developers have already moved on to the far more multi-platform-release-friendly Switch. They ain't coming back.

Nevermond the three simple words that are gonna guarantee sales for the Switch in a year or so like they did for the 3DS and DS before it over its competitor; It Has Pokemon."

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 12, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big problem is there's nowhere for a new portable to go though that doesn't actively compete against the Switch, and that "considering a new handheld" line can be taken with the same amount of salt as "The DS is a third pillar, not a GBA replacement". Handheld hardware has caught up with home console-quality offerings, (the Vita proved that eight years ago, nevermind the Switch itself), and all you can really wind up with is something deliberately-underpowered that arbitrarily sits somewhere between 3DS-quality graphics and Switch-quality graphics (which are around PS3/X360-level, if not a bit better).

Even if you make it a new DS model with full backwards-compatibility, it doesn't have 3D to at least raise some interest off the neat gimmick, and all the small-tier developers have already moved on to the far more multi-platform-release-friendly Switch. They ain't coming back.

Nevermond the three simple words that are gonna guarantee sales for the Switch in a year or so like they did for the 3DS and DS before it over its competitor; It Has Pokemon."

Nah, a tablet doesn't occupy the same market as a phone, just as a bigger device doesn't occupy the same market as a smaller one. And a cheaper device doesn't occupy the same market as a more expensive one

There's some overlap, to be sure, but these calculations would be made beforehand to ensure as little disruption of the Switch as possible, and maybe even be a device that empowers the Switch to be better (such as having its own cross-compatible library)

And they're a creative company, gotta break the mindset that a sequel to the 3DS has to have two screens, be 3D, be a rectangle, be as powerful as a 3DS, etc

To say that all handhelds compete with each other is to say that the Tetris Microcard directly competes with the Switch and impacts its sales. There are pockets of gaming that don't involve systems that can run Breath of the Wild

Spellman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 12, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, without the 3DS there's a definite void in:

- Consoles available at a lower price point (you can get a 2DS for like $80 while the cheapest SRP on any other console is over $200)
- Consoles that will fit in a normal pocket

A smart phone doesn't work as a games console due to the lack of tactile buttons.

There's definitely a niche "need" for a simple-but-solid pocket-sized handheld.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do yall play video games?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The big hurdle is getting devs to make games for it. The Switch selling better than anyone could have expected. Nintendo's finally got third parties back and happy for the first time since SNES. Who's gonna want to take a risk on a potentially different handheld when they can just put it on Switch and outsell the Steam/PS4/Xbox One versions multiple times over?

I'm sure Atlus would support it, bless their hearts, and Ubisoft would throw it a few bones during the launch period.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

elf help book posted:

Do yall play video games?

Dude I loving love video games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The big hurdle is getting devs to make games for it. The Switch selling better than anyone could have expected. Nintendo's finally got third parties back and happy for the first time since SNES. Who's gonna want to take a risk on a potentially different handheld when they can just put it on Switch and outsell the Steam/PS4/Xbox One versions multiple times over?

I'm sure Atlus would support it, bless their hearts, and Ubisoft would throw it a few bones during the launch period.

Yea, that's why I suggested a cross-compatibility of sorts. Would be cool to see the Switch be the Super Game Boy to a smaller system

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm going to miss having a good touchscreen/dual screens even if one of them is always just a map

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I just basically want the GBA SP upgraded, to be quite honest.

The battery life on the modern consoles isn't great for a mobile system. The making GBS threads potential of the Switch is second to none, but honestly, even the New 3DS feels like it's too expensive and too short on battery.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

univbee posted:

Yeah, without the 3DS there's a definite void in:

- Consoles available at a lower price point (you can get a 2DS for like $80 while the cheapest SRP on any other console is over $200)
- Consoles that will fit in a normal pocket

A smart phone doesn't work as a games console due to the lack of tactile buttons.

There's definitely a niche "need" for a simple-but-solid pocket-sized handheld.

You're right. But Nintendo is not going to roll out yet another new handheld platform to maintain alongside the Switch. They're not going to bifurcate their own development teams again, and they know better than to ask third-party developers to target two handheld platforms. When people ask for a compact, low-cost handheld, Nintendo's gonna keep pointing at the New 2DS right up until they launch a cheaper, more compact Switch-compatible console. (And it's going to strip down the features found in the main Switch, rather than add any new features like a second screen.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

I just basically want the GBA SP upgraded, to be quite honest.

I don't even need it to be upgraded, just mass-produce some microGBAs so I can bring one with me that doesn't cost a fortune if I lose/damage it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Back when Nintendo first merged the console and handheld game dev teams, Iwata denied Nintendo was making a "hybrid" console/handheld and just said that in the future Nintendo would view the two ecosystems as more connected or whatever. I guess now the consensus is that he was either BSing or the plans changed, but if you want to believe he was telling the truth and try to combine that with the recent comments about a 3DS successor maybe you could argue that a new portable could *essentially* be a Switch Mini without *literally* being a Switch Mini. Squishing everything down and baking the joy-cons into the system probably would break backwards compatibility for certain games, so maybe this new system would have extremely similar but not identical computer architecture so that Nintendo and third parties could easily port most Switch games with minimal tinkering while not literally letting you play every Switch game ever.

If they want to differentiate it more they could include a second (resistive) touch screen to make DS / 3DS ports easier, and also allowing for a few exclusive games that wouldn't appear on the Switch proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mancalamania posted:

If they want to differentiate it more they could include a second (resistive) touch screen to make DS / 3DS ports easier, and also allowing for a few exclusive games that wouldn't appear on the Switch proper.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. If the goal is to make a cheaper, more compact Switch-compatible handheld, adding a second screen works directly against those goals. And unless you toss out the capacitive main screen (which screws up compatibility with even more Switch games), you now have a frankenstein mishmash of touch screen types. Fingers on the top, stylus on the bottom. And the point of all this would be... ports of low-res 3DS games, and optional exclusive second-screen features that few developers are gonna target because they can't be used by the preexisting install base of higher-end consoles.