Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Labskaus, like haggis, sounds absurdly disgusting as a concept but it's actually perfectly good, so I'm sure the Scots could relate. I'm just not sure how well it would keep.

If I was in Hamburg I'd go for Franzbrötchen over Labskaus. Can't do wrong with really good bread either, no matter where you are. Look for the most hipster artisan bakery you can find.

Go on youtube and check out some of those "[nationality X] try German snacks" videos and bring whatever people from the UK, or Scotland specifically, got most excited about across a few videos.

I'm very jealous of you going to Scotland by the way. That was my holiday plan for before Easter. I mean I'm sure I could make my way if I really really wanted to, just doesn't seem like a great idea, for Reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I was in Hamburg I'd go for Franzbrötchen over Labskaus. Can't do wrong with really good bread either, no matter where you are. Look for the most hipster artisan bakery you can find.

big problem: he'd deliver a dry Franzbrötchen, and nothing is worse, whereas Labskaus comes in a Konserve

served with Spiegelei and saure Gurken it's the perfect corona food

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Local Rewe: again (still?) completely out of bread
Next Rewe over: four packs of bread à 250 g (that's 5 slices). I buy one, so as not to hoard. Who hoards bread anyway?
Aldi in between: a comparative cornucopia of Backwaren. I buy 500 g of bread and toast each. I see multiple people hoarding bread. And as the new owner of 750 g of bread, has the abyss not begun gazing back?

I should probably just accept a breadless future, because these three store visits felt incredibly reckless. Oh, the Aldi had a handwritten cardboard sign at the entrance saying "Hier KEIN Toilettenpapier!". Felt very post-apocalyptic

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Libluini posted:

I guess this is how people during a Pestwave must have felt.
The Black Death in europe had a lethality rate that was comparable to the atom bombs that hit hiroshima/nagasaki.

So just imagine a europe where an atom bomb exploded in each and every city/village/farmstead (minus the property damage of course), and you will start coming close.

We are not there yet ;)

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 19, 2020

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
that's an excessively unhelpful comparison unless i missed something beyond "look, not everyone is dead yet!" (edit: Ah, okay I guess)

today i found out the reason the local Rewe is understocked: it's the Baustelle that started Monday and is making the Zulieferer have to divert through a Wohngebiet where idiots are parking in the streets, blocking the LKWs. wonderful timing

Zwille fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 19, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Have to say, Smirr's posts are always a highlight of this thread. I like your dry humor, please keep posting :)

Local Edeka was stocked apart from Nudeln and Klopapier, of course. They had a helpful flyer that they're constantly restocking, and that there's no reason to panic if something is not available. And that it helps nobody if people keep posting pics of their empty shelves on the net.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Nektu posted:

The Black Death in europe had a lethality rate that was comparable to the atom bombs that hit hiroshima/nagasaki.

So just imagine a europe where an atom bomb exploded in each and every city/village/farmstead (minus the property damage of course), and you will start coming close.

We are not there yet ;)

interestingly enough I started reading "The making of the atomic bomb" yesterday. Weird.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Zwille posted:

that's an excessively unhelpful comparison unless i missed something beyond "look, not everyone is dead yet!" (edit: Ah, okay I guess)
Well, thats because Corona and the plague are not comparable at all. Iirc the lethality rate back then was something like 40% or 50% (yes, hiroshima and nagasaki were not completely destroyed either).

And while corona is serious enough to kill a lot of people, it really is babbys first pandemic compared to the stuff that happened in the 14th century.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Our Anne wants to mobilize reservists to help out in an emergency and Söder is threatening Bavarians with total lockdown if people won't behave.

The morning starts wild already

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Smirr posted:

Oh, the Aldi had a handwritten cardboard sign at the entrance saying "Hier KEIN Toilettenpapier!". Felt very post-apocalyptic

In Elex's post apocalypse there are two types of toilet paper people hoard:
  • Toilet Paper – Coarse, rough, but does the trick.
  • Soft Toilet Paper – An rear end based luxury. A treat, or a sign of the Free Peoples' weakness?

Soft toilet paper is five times more valuable than normal toilet paper.

Make u think.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
went to DM yesterday and there was a mountain of toiletpaper readily available with a note that you're only allowed to buy one pack

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zwille posted:

Pfeffi or Berliner Luft

This, + a bottle of Rotkäppchen

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

misread as "bottle of Rotbäckchen" and thought "yeah, doesn't get more German"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smirr posted:

handwritten cardboard sign at the entrance saying "Hier KEIN Toilettenpapier!". Felt very post-apocalyptic

I hope this is the stock photo they use for the ~Coronakrise~ in future school history textbooks so kids can wonder what the gently caress was wrong with idiot brain damaged people back then.

e: also wonder what toilet paper is cause we will probably have laser bidets by then that will just laser your rear end clean

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Home Office and isolation would be more bearable if I had more than a couch and a desk next to a loud road.

I think I am gonna risk taking a walk eventually.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
a friend of mine went for a walk on tempelhofer feld, and they apparently already have 3+ cop cars stationed at every entrance... LOCKDOWN is imminent

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Yeah, it probably is. There is a Bund-Länder Telco late noon/early afternoon, so I'd expect press releases for any coordinated measures to go out by evening.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GABA ghoul posted:

I hope this is the stock photo they use for the ~Coronakrise~ in future school history textbooks so kids can wonder what the gently caress was wrong with idiot brain damaged people back then.

e: also wonder what toilet paper is cause we will probably have laser bidets by then that will just laser your rear end clean

This guy doesn't know how to use the three seashells...

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Randler posted:

Yeah, it probably is. There is a Bund-Länder Telco late noon/early afternoon, so I'd expect press releases for any coordinated measures to go out by evening.

What's the rechtlicher Status regarding stuff like that? I know the Infektionsschutzgesetz offers quite some leeway, any details about what could and what couldn't get verboten?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

FWIW the university also quietly put up a new subpage on their coronavirus pages re: getting a Beschäftigungsausweis in case of potentially upcoming Ausgangssperren, some time within the last 24 hours. Which made me chuckle a little, because 100% of the scientific staff can touch computers perfectly fine at home, and the only people who may possibly have to be physically present in the actual buildings are the janitorial staff and Objektschutz and the like, i.e. yet another instance where the working class gets doubly hosed - first by being the hoi polloi in the beforetimes, second by suddenly finding themselves to actually be the only truly essential staff, and having to venture into Coronaworld as a thanks. Anyway, full communism now

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Corona still preferable to Colonia, though

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nektu posted:

Well, thats because Corona and the plague are not comparable at all. Iirc the lethality rate back then was something like 40% or 50% (yes, hiroshima and nagasaki were not completely destroyed either).

And while corona is serious enough to kill a lot of people, it really is babbys first pandemic compared to the stuff that happened in the 14th century.

Because we can keep old people from dying with the help of complicated and expensive machines and medicine. Otherwise we'd look at most of the 15-20 % who have to be admitted to the hospital as the mortality rate - if it had hit in the 1950 it would be that (but it wouldn't have spread as well either).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Good news everyone! Boomer manager in a call just spoke of "die nächsten Tage im Hoffeoffice rumbringen" and was very convinced we would all see each other in person very soon.

So clearly this Corona thing is just about to be over.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just got my official Writ Of Passage: during lockdown I have to still come in and just show it to any police or whatever

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Smirr posted:

FWIW the university also quietly put up a new subpage on their coronavirus pages re: getting a Beschäftigungsausweis in case of potentially upcoming Ausgangssperren

The Zeiterfassungssystem already has a warning that the Zeiterfassung would be stopped during the quarantine.

I'm on the list of people who will still have access during quarantine… :negative:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just got my official Writ Of Passage: during lockdown I have to still come in and just show it to any police or whatever

Have also such a thing now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Papiere, bitte :dadjoke:

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
The leadership in this company gave out a written statement that everyone has to come in due to Arbeitspflicht even when in quarantine.

Also I should have a talk with the emergency team at work, before I talk to a doctor if I think I have caught Corvid.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Happy Litterbox posted:

The leadership in this company gave out a written statement that everyone has to come in due to Arbeitspflicht even when in quarantine.

Also I should have a talk with the emergency team at work, before I talk to a doctor if I think I have caught Corvid.

I wish I caught Corvid - ravens are cool as hell :dadjoke:

Seriously though, that sucks, and the emergency team thing is pretty blatantly preemptive damage control. Like, I imagine them sneaking you off to an unlicensed vet somewhere while they get started on destroying any paperwork that proves you ever worked there

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Happy Litterbox posted:

If the written statement is as you described it, safe it. Might be of interest to works council, union or some other labour rights people.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My job application is moving forward, after interviews they’re now checking my references, which is usually the last stage. The madmen are going to do it, actually hire me into the travel industry a split second before it all goes under.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Happy Litterbox posted:

Make sure to tell the emergency team in person, preferably while coughing a lot on every surface available. Also include at least one person of said leadership in the talk, as a witness

And then call your doctor before showing at their office, don't want to risk infecting medical staff, we kinda are gonna need them for a while

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not an expert, but I don't think any kind of management ghoul can legally keep you from seeing a doctor or force you to disclose that you have been. This isn't America(yet)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Happy Litterbox posted:

Yo i don't know where you work, but that sounds wildly illegal.

You have a very strong right to privacy when it comes to your health.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

People in Berlin are doing gently caress all social distancing. Since restaurants (aka bars, cafes) are still open, everyone who was born by a mother loving sits outside in the sun and drinks white wine like nothing it happening. Especially the French/Spanish/Italian expats and the loving Schwaben as well. And old Germans are apparently immune because they don't even let me keep distance at Aldi, even when I try.

gently caress this, we need draconian Ausgangsperren right now.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Haramstufe Rot posted:

People in Berlin are doing gently caress all social distancing. Since restaurants (aka bars, cafes) are still open, everyone who was born by a mother loving sits outside in the sun and drinks white wine like nothing it happening. Especially the French/Spanish/Italian expats and the loving Schwaben as well. And old Germans are apparently immune because they don't even let me keep distance at Aldi, even when I try.

gently caress this, we need draconian Ausgangsperren right now.

The good people at the RKI knew why Berlin was a lost cause in their Modi-SARS scenario of 2012.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 19, 2020

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I mean all of our politicans are far too afraid to make a decision

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Haramstufe Rot posted:

And old Germans are apparently immune because they don't even let me keep distance at Aldi, even when I try.
Elderly friend of the house remarked she won't get corona because she has a strong immune system.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, I'm homeofficed. Don't know how to feel. Not dying is good, but being locked in inside for >8 hour all day is suboptimal. In conclusion, Corona is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I mean all of our politicans are far too afraid to make a decision

I think we're inching towards it. In most places it will have been a week since the announcement of school closures tomorrow, which really should have communicated to everyone that this is serious, and if the curve doesn't flatten out substantially on the weekend (it won't), we'll probably see a federal cascade into Ausgangssperren. I mean, Bavaria already explicitly put them on the table. The police in Köln have also already started breaking up public gatherings yesterday and today (on probably very shaky legal grounds, but...).

e: federal as in "föderalistisch", not as in "cheese it, the feds"