Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Food for thought, thanks. When I said jack up the frame and unload the suspension I had it in my head to literally just get the frame high enough that the shock isn’t compressed, not even sure if the tire would need to leave the ground substantially. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Feels like a lot of things would need to go right if I didn’t use a displacement pin if I don’t remove the tire and chain but it could probably work. I may be overthinking it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Most immediately for me a hitch dolly would be an extremely convenient way to retrieve a ninja 250 from ~200 miles away with my station wagon without needing to own or store or register or plate or even rent a trailer. If it’s not going to significantly risk damaging the bike, it’s the method I’d prefer to use to get this done.

I know how to move a bike every other way, I’ve trucked and trailered and spare-driver-ed bikes aplenty, it’s just right here and now it would be handy to go move this lightish weight bike using my shitcan car and I’ve never used those dollys before and it seems handy for this.

I can probably have the chain off a ninja 250 quickly enough for that to work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

^^^^yeah you'll be fine

Martytoof posted:

Food for thought, thanks. When I said jack up the frame and unload the suspension I had it in my head to literally just get the frame high enough that the shock isn’t compressed, not even sure if the tire would need to leave the ground substantially. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Feels like a lot of things would need to go right if I didn’t use a displacement pin if I don’t remove the tire and chain but it could probably work. I may be overthinking it then.

Tbh how I would tackle it is front wheel secure in the bench vice/cradle, jack up the back of the frame with a foot jack until it's unloaded, then just remove the bolt that joins the shock to the linkage/swingarm. Once that's gone you can manipulate the swingarm back and forth by rolling the wheel, up and down using the jack.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I should actually invest in a front wheel cradle real soon if I plan to do anything on my bike either way.

OK thanks for the head-check. I guess if I ever find something fun to replace the rearsets with I will, since I love tinkering for no reason. I’ll be sure to post the hilarious aftermath when I inadvertently destroy the bike because I was too stupid to not put useless gadgets on it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
600'C paint is probably fine for exhaust headers if I'm just riding a low powered bike normally and not sat doing burnouts for hours right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

600'C paint is probably fine for exhaust headers if I'm just riding a low powered bike normally and not sat doing burnouts for hours right?

In my experience, DIY rattle can exhaust paint is crap anyway, even if you might not exceed the temps.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Old school cheapass solution to this if you don't care what it looks like is to use BBQ paint. It goes on easily, dries quickly (just heat it up) and leaves a matte dull grey-black finish.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Old school cheapass solution to this if you don't care what it looks like is to use BBQ paint. It goes on easily, dries quickly (just heat it up) and leaves a matte dull grey-black finish.

Bbq paint consistently returns better results than header paint. I'd argue it doesn't really look any worse either, most people's pipes are just rust brown anyway.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Called a couple local shops for tire mounting quotes then in a fit of hubris immediately placed an order for tire irons and a balance stand. Since my own time is worthless I'll only need to use them twice to break even, right? :shepspends:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Called a couple local shops for tire mounting quotes then in a fit of hubris immediately placed an order for tire irons and a balance stand. Since my own time is worthless I'll only need to use them twice to break even, right? :shepspends:

Did you budget for the torn sidewalls, pinched tubes and missing knuckles though?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FBS posted:

Good thing because you'll probably use them the equivalent of four times in your first changing.

Also, lube.

And gloves for the knuckles and skin.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. take your time. small bites with the irons & lots of windex / lube / soap. if you've got a ton of weights on after balancing, pop the tire off the bead and rotate it a bit and try again.

it's a pain in the dick lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

it's a pain in the dick lol

It does get a lot easier as you get better at it. It just takes a lot of pain to get better at it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I despise changing tires. Like finding a good weed dealer you need to find a tire changer who is reliable, economical, and not currently in prison.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 12, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Get some of those rubber blocks. No Mar? drat does a rim gouge easily when youre putting rage force onto a spoon.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FBS posted:

You'll be fine. Use protection, take small bites, use plenty of lube.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I got so annoyed at pinching tubes (it always happened) that I used the ziptie method, where you seal the tire carcass tightly closed using huge zipties, with the slightly-inflated tube inside. Then, you lever both lips into the wheel trough at once. Using pleeeeeeenty of lube. Then you cut the zipties and pull them out, freeing the tube into the wheel.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I miss having a speedier tallboy. Anyone got opinions on older Tigers? 955/1050. I’m keeping the KLR so this would be pavement only and I’m just being dumb and weird about having something that fills the role my 990SMT had without the ownership bullshit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

I miss having a speedier tallboy. Anyone got opinions on older Tigers? 955/1050. I’m keeping the KLR so this would be pavement only and I’m just being dumb and weird about having something that fills the role my 990SMT had without the ownership bullshit.

No, bad, avoid, the ownership experience is pretty similar to a ktm. I don't know if any of the big ADV's are 'good' tbh they always either seem to be mechanically questionable or dynamically miserable.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That kind of sucks to hear, the 1050 actually looked pretty nice. Got any anecdotes? I’ve heard some noise about starter sprag clutches or something.
It may be down to DL1000, or nothing on impulse this year and I’m not sure which would be worse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

That kind of sucks to hear, the 1050 actually looked pretty nice. Got any anecdotes? I’ve heard some noise about starter sprag clutches or something.
It may be down to DL1000, or nothing on impulse this year and I’m not sure which would be worse.

All the big triples have an inadequate starter sprag yeah. There is an updated flywheel that fixes the problem, the last one I did was an earlier speed triple and it was about $1000 for the parts. Fixes the problem though. I don't know whether the upgraded part is standard on newer bikes.

Tbh all the 1050 bikes aren't too terribly built, they just aren't japanese level and do have the occasional absolutely maddening issues that only european stuff seems to have. Electrical problems, instruments going haywire, mysterious vanishing coolant, stuff like that.

The earlier 9xx bikes of all varieties are just really badly built in general. Random things break inside the engine, the electrical system is out of a land rover, they are heavy and fragile and just generally carry a miasma of terribleness which is why I'm well on my way to acquiring a particularly bad specimen.

I think the later big strom with the DR-big-alike stylimg looks pretty ace. Tbh my favourite adv is the second gen multistrada - it dispenses with the fig leaf of off-road performance entirely, in favour of being an absolutely incredible sport/touring/motard hybrid.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’m going to just come out and say it - the Gen 1 Multi looks better.
I’m definitely interested in hearing how tragic your incoming 955i goes, because I don’t think I’ve really been talked out of it. Still pulling for the 1050 instead, they’re better styled and don’t seem to pretend to want to off road at all.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Revvik posted:

How about the FJ09, similar to the 1050 and won't break down.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Price point is generally a lot higher. With the exception of one in Ohio that I’m almost certain is just a bait ad to get people into a dealership. They’re newer, and yeah better. Like, to the point where it’s almost a bike I’d rather get after a house with a garage, instead of a duplex with a large locking shed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Revvik posted:

I’m going to just come out and say it - the Gen 1 Multi looks better.
I’m definitely interested in hearing how tragic your incoming 955i goes, because I don’t think I’ve really been talked out of it. Still pulling for the 1050 instead, they’re better styled and don’t seem to pretend to want to off road at all.

Yeah, I can get behind this. I had a gen 1, and while it wasn't a looker from the front, the beaky weirdness of the gen 2 just puts me off them completely whenever I look. I should ride one though, because the goofy fairing on the gen 1 didn't matter to me at all once I was riding it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
They look best in black or white especially, and there’s a 620 Dark that’s not too far for change and part of me is like I bet that feels like a GP bike next to my KLR...
Fifteen year old Ducati, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

They look best in black or white especially, and there’s a 620 Dark that’s not too far for change and part of me is like I bet that feels like a GP bike next to my KLR...
Fifteen year old Ducati, though.

The desmodue is a loving gem though and super easy to diy everything. The 620 is a little hidden jem, it's got that harsh oldschool gonna-blow-any-second revvy character, really a contrast next to the punchy midrange on the bigger motors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Currently running the following on Fat Bob:

FRONT 16" Dunlop D429F 150/80B16 71H BW
REAR 16" Dunlop 180/70B16 77H BW

They're OK. They'll probably last 10,000 miles or so.

When they're next up for changing, I want to put on something grippier and more suited to Scottish weather (rain).

Recommendations? I don't care if they only last 5000 miles, I want something better and grippier.

Avon Cobras maybe?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Night dragons. Angel GT pattern with big meaty cruiser construction.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Slavvy, sorted, they look very good.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Michelin Commander 3 tires are also supposed to be good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I heard that the Commanders were extremely durable. So not as grippy as others.

I may be completely wrong!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Michelin Commander 3 tires are also supposed to be good.

Yeah these would've been my second choice, I don't know how long they last but I found the handling unpleasant, like I do with all michelins. Nonetheless fitted a few, no real complaints.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
My NEWWWW MOTORCYCLE (used motorcycle)'s front hydraulic brake works fine. But, I cannot see any fluid through the reservoir sightglass. And it's 17 years old with no indication that the brakes have ever been bled.

Should I:

ride off without a care
crack open the reservoir to inspect the fluid for existence and clarity/color
bleed it no matter what
rebuild with new seals

the bike is real clean and runs like a dream, but other than an oil change and new tires in nov 2020, I know nothing about it.

e: it is a Yamaha Hatsudōki Kabushiki-gaisha Trailway Two Hundred

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Greg12 posted:

crack open the reservoir to inspect the fluid for existence and clarity/color

This first, at minimum. It only takes a minute!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Replace all fluids with Johnson's® Baby Oil to be safe. What bike is it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

Not falling for that one again

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Coydog posted:

no more tears!

yeah tw200. whoops.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Flush it with new stuff and see what bursts/leaks. If it's fine it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My tires were OEM on a NOS 2018 and I've put one season of liiiight riding on them (<1500km) -- at this rate they might be worn in by the time it's time to replace them for age.