Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

how are you guys managing to write webpages with performance issues

it's easier than u think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

my stepdads beer posted:

Not me, but it can happen if you're making lots of changes to lots of data very often. Also sometimes the frameworks have a bunch of weirdo extra work they have to do, like angular has a 'digest cycle' where it goes through the list of every binding it keeps track of and sees if it has changed since the last cycle. For the most part the performance costs tend to be overblown IMO -- at that React talk that someone did where they showed a comparison of the speeds of frameworks there wasn't really a meaningful difference until the page was changing Dom elements so fast that it was unusable if it was a real app anyway.

Of course there's stuff that slows down the experience like ad injection and lots of async loading of assets, but none of that would be affected by threading.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The digest cycle: The central design feature so great that they're removing it from AngularJS 2.0! (well, the bidirectional aspect of the data binding anyway).

God willing I'll never have to do more JS-heavy web dev any time soon but all the stuff about data binding in C# always left a sour taste in my mouth and now I know why. It entangles views and controllers together even more horribly than usual, and the so-called "separation of concerns" is a loving joke. It seems like giving up and loving with the DOM directly using jQuery or document.querySelector() is less of a faff on balance; I recently threw together a really lovely OAuth2 login screen by using JSoup (a Java HTML parsing library) of all things as a template engine, selecting node sets and stuffing text and attributes into those using its mutation API. Surprisingly painless, actually, and it should be seeing as that's basically how GUI apps worked and nobody complained about it back then.

idk I got into a big argument with this on IRC with a dude who works at Facebook, where he said that the JS community tried and explicitly rejected this approach long ago and I considered the cure (AngularJS and its ilk) to be worse than the disease.

http://www.workingsoftware.com.au/page/Your_templating_engine_sucks_and_everything_you_have_ever_written_is_spaghetti_code_yes_you

This guy also makes the same sort of point, albeit really clumsily (he has a very nonstandard definition of "spaghetti code", but I guess if you call it "entanglement of concerns" or something then it scans decently)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

God willing I'll never have to do more JS-heavy web dev any time soon

get crackin' on those paternosters then cuz webdev is the big poo poo twinkie that we probably will all have to take a bite of

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The core developers for every front end framework seem to have a hard-on for making everything as simple and magic as possible, which just ends up making everything very complicated and hard to understand since nothing is going to fit your use case perfectly.

Except React, which does I've thing and one thing very simply and well. Might be able to say the same thing about flux and relay too.

Ember has a weird spot where it's supposed to be really simple and straightforward but over the past many releases you have to know what a route, controller, view, component, service, and soon routable components do, which is strange since they all do almost the same thing.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

my stepdads beer posted:

more javascript than html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

The core developers for every front end framework seem to have a hard-on for making everything as simple and magic as possible, which just ends up making everything very complicated and hard to understand since nothing is going to fit your use case perfectly.

Except React, which does I've thing and one thing very simply and well. Might be able to say the same thing about flux and relay too.

Ember has a weird spot where it's supposed to be really simple and straightforward but over the past many releases you have to know what a route, controller, view, component, service, and soon routable components do, which is strange since they all do almost the same thing.

:shrek:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
kcpeppe
‏@kcpeppe
Unsettling event at Oracle. All of the Java evangelists have been let go. Sad this happened to a great dedicated enthusiastic group

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
better move than ms firing all the sdets lol

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

What exactly is the purpose of Java evangelists at this point? It's not exactly the scrappy new guy on the programming language block...

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
they assure that the requisite amount of shaggarpoasting goes on in every forum

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

these are all v good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

piratepilates posted:

has anyone really profiled any common use cases for web workers in mvc stuff?

not like computation-wise, but just like angular in general using it, would you actually see any real performance benefits?

i dont know. workers are always a terrible mess to deal with so i dont understand why these workers would be different

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont know. workers are always a terrible mess to deal with so i dont understand why these workers would be different

a fine thought for the labor day weekend

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

just put them in a union and reference the type you need

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

just put them in a union and reference the type you need

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ochowie posted:

What exactly is the purpose of Java evangelists at this point? It's not exactly the scrappy new guy on the programming language block...

sales

sometimes tech evangelism is literally just plain old sales, where they want you to buy a support contract. usually its more that they want to promote adoption, and not just adoption of the platform in general but adoption of the latest stuff, for all the strategic reasons they developed the tech in the first place. as a tech evangelist, you reach out to respected people because they help drive the reaction to your tech. e.g. if they blog/tweet, they might talk up your tech to an audience that trusts them. if they're end-product developers, maybe you can openly claim them as users in your pr. if they're dev-tool developers, supporting your tech in their tools might unblock wider adoption for the people who use them, so that people don't just go "well that's great, but i can't even think about doing this until X, Y, and Z", and all of those turn out to be 3-5 years out. all this goes double for early access, especially for tool writers, both because they can get a head-start on reacting but also because they have a chance to provide early feedback and maybe even get things changed to work better for them. in truth, that kind of access is always partly flattery, but it's also a pretty crucial way to validate whether the technology is actually useful and interesting to people, so that you don't just push something out the door only to see it fall flat on its face

anyway firing them all is actually very interesting

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sooo you're saying i still need salespeople even if my product is computer codes to sell to other computer mans? unpossible

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
hey PL thread is ruby dead yet

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

no it's the new PHP

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ahmeni posted:

hey PL thread is ruby dead yet

AWWNAW posted:

no it's the new PHP

kinda this, also kinda old rear end java webapps

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really hate ruby as an applications programming language but i'm starting to really appreciate it as a scripting language

for instance, i needed something for jenkins that could easily compile configuration files and none of plugins were suiting:

code:
# recursively reads in any *.erb files in the working directory, 
# then, binds any vars declared in ARGF and passes them
# into the erb rendering context.

require 'erb'
b = binding()
eval(ARGF.read, b)
Dir.glob('**/*.erb').each do |d|
  File.open(d[0..-5], 'w') do |fw|
    fw.puts ERB.new(File.read(d)).result(b)
  end
end

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

triple sulk posted:

lol php will easily outlive ruby

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

am i right in thinking that C# looks an awful lot like javascript except you declare stuff with int/float/string instead of var?

did anybody say no because you declare stuff with var in c#

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol php will easily outlive ruby

if you can call that living

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

code:
eval(ARGF.read, b)

lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

now imagine ARGF is a database field or url parameters and you've just kicked up the fun factor of your web framework to 11

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Bloody posted:

did anybody say no because you declare stuff with var in c#

ya but var at least has a real purpose in c#. it's good in any linq query or anything else where you're expecting an anonymous type. you could use it in any method scope for any type but it's sort of dumb letting the compiler take its best guess. i dunno how much you were being sarcastic

reading about types in swift it looks pretty crazy but cool

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"take its best guess" uhh the compiler knows the type of the expression 95% of the time and the rest of the time you can use an explicitly typed variable declaration

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

any old rear end java webapp will be a million times more maintainable than any ruby/rails app.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

fleshweasel posted:

"take its best guess" uhh the compiler knows the type of the expression 95% of the time and the rest of the time you can use an explicitly typed variable declaration

reading about it more today yeah you're absolutely right. i'd still rather see explicit typing. knowing something is IEnumerable<T> or whatever is easier for me to understand than var. i got it in reverse, i'm the dumb one that takes my best guess :downs:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if the type of the rhs is not obvious from looking at the expression you got bigger problems

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Bloody posted:

if the type of the rhs is not obvious from looking at the expression you got bigger problems

What would those be?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

having bad code

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

any old rear end java webapp will be a million times more maintainable than any ruby/rails app.

a fair point

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Bloody posted:

having bad code

You are taking the set {(x, y) : (x, y) is good} and turning it into {(x, y) : (x, z) is good for all z}.

That's dumb.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think shrughes is broken

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Bloody posted:

throw it on the pile with "never use goto under any circumstances", "only return from a single point", "if (0 == var)" and other such pointless dogmas

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
single return is nice, but I prefer multiple return statements without mutation to declaring a result variable at the top and mutating it in various places in the body of a function before returning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think shrughes is broken

this is a well documented fact