Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

That's disappointing. Wheeling Cycle has them for 85 bucks. I don't know about all that. Especially since the Edge lights themselves are less than half that price. Tough call but I might just find some less ugly turn signals and deal with it.

If you can get over the looks the stockers are the best indicators for the drz unless you spend big money on aftermarket ones. cheap ones just vibrate apart or break when you drop the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, the stock suzuki ones are the toughest by far. I have some bikemaster ones that are OK, but clearly arent as strong as the OEM ones.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'll probably just deal with it. They just look really goofy. I got so used to how clean and tidy the license plate was on my last bike. In good news the bike is all legal and ready to ride to do illegal things!

It's so loving refreshing to just hop over curbs and poo poo and have an actual reasonable turning radius. The R6 felt so awful in parking lots and stuff. It was like that scene from Austin Powers every time the parking spaces were tight. I really missed just romping over curbs and stuff. I also had to make a sharp little turn this afternoon on it and was reminded how good it feels to kick it down 2 gears and feel the back end step out :haw:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If it's worth anything, my DRZ has the Edge light with 12 O'Clock Labs board, and I really like it. Nice bright pulse on braking and I really like the sweep for turn signals.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You think its worth it? I've been eyeing the 12o'clock board, and from the youtube videos it does look very nice, but man, $80...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm torn. The stock signals just look so loving ugly and bulky. I can't help but think how clean it'd look with just that little edge taillight... but 80 is a fair amount of money for that.

In other news, I need to order some new headlights of some sort. I have that TNT headlight that a lot of people like since it looks like a MX plate in front but I could literally get more light out of holding my cell phone in front of the bike. I went out for a hooligan ride last night with friends and could hardly see poo poo. The guy gave me the stock headlight so I'm probably going to put that back in with a DDM light for now. I had that setup on my old DRZ and it worked very well if it's aimed down towards the road. Most of the Acerbis offerings and stuff look awful to me. I do need to find some of the fork straps though that hold on the lights. Anyone know where to order maybe 2 more that aren't as expensive as the Acerbis ones (I don't even know if those fit the stock light?)

I'm also scheming hard to find a header somewhere. There's a kid in town with a DRZ full system that I'm trying to trade my stock exhaust + cash for.... I'm not sure I want to trust that ebay stainless header (or if it will even fit).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The stock headlight is really the only good option that doesnt cost $600. Its not bad looking either, unless you dont like square lights for whatever reason.

I have these blinkers installed with my edge tail light, in black-body-with-orange-lens form.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/984/42267/ITEM/BikeMaster-Universal-Mini-Stalk-Turn-Signal.aspx

They are pretty tough, quite small, and actually bright as hell (which is my main gripe with most aftermarket blinkers). Mine havent shown any signs of failing, and for that price its tough to go wrong.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've thought about those but I might as well just shorten the stalk on the OEM ones if I go that route. I also feel like if I'm going to spend 20 bucks on turn signals it's not so bad to just break down and get the 12 o clock chip and just go all out. I really wish they weren't so drat expensive. I think for 50 dollars I'd be on board no problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ones I posted are much smaller (like more than 50% smaller) than the OEM ones, so they do look a little more normal next to the Edge

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm being tempted to spend money I shouldn't, that's all. I can't help it, it's a disease :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welcome to owning any motorcycle ever?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I find that hobbies are a lot more fun if you don't keep track of how much you spend on them. Check your bank account, determine if you can afford whatever it is, and if you buy it then never think about the money again. Just enjoy your cool new thing that brings you enjoyment.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Motorcycles are a pretty cheap hobby as long as you aren't going balls to the wall with unnecessary mods. You could probably cut your fast food budget and do a track day every month. I think people wrongly mostly compare them to cars because of maintenance and whatever, too. I'd rather have an $8,000 motorcycle paid off in cash than a $17,000 econobox.

Now that I realize the absolutely retarded poo poo people buy, I don't feel too bad about my own hobbies anymore

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I never monitor total expenses really. I just have to balance my brain telling me not to pay a (relatively) large sum of money for a little PC board vs. my eyes telling me the bike doesn't look good. I agree though that it's best not to calculate every penny spent as that tends to be depressing. I had this same experience when looking at road bicycles. It's shocking at first to hear some guy spent 3,000+++ on a bicycle but then I remember that that is probably their primary hobby and they get the same use / enjoyment out of that as we do from motorcycles. Hell it's cheaper to buy a pretty much top of the line bicycle than it is to buy even a 5 year old sportbike.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Exactly. Also, if you stick with used vehicles, you're already ahead of the average consumer.

Would you rather have a 2013 Toyota Camry, or a $5000 Brazilian rosewood classical guitar and $5000 worth of recording equipment and fix your current vehicle?

But maybe I'm weird. I think my upper division economics classes are ruining me. :tinfoil:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I will say I keep track (not in excel or any spergy way) of my purchases of bikes. I tend to shop around a lot and pick up bikes used only if I know I won't lose my rear end on selling it later. So far it's worked out very well and in the end I make my money back on sales. I also find it helps not to worry about the costs of maintenance things like oil, brake pads, etc as "expenses" per se but more of necessities to use the vehicle at all. I've found this lets me own bikes I really enjoy while not ending up upside down on a loan for a new sportbike or whatever other dumb situation people get themselves into with bikes all too often.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

I never monitor total expenses really.

Yes, this is me. Three cars, two boats, three motorcycles and up until recently, a snowmobile. While living in an apartment with a garage that can't fit a car and a single motorcycle at the same time, basically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I keep a list of things Ive done to my bikes in an excel spreadsheet, but thats mostly so I can have a good timeline of changes and a maintenance log in one.

I keep a separate account of "me money" that is not used to pay bills or anything like that. If that account has enough money to buy Thing X, then I pull the trigger.

The SuperMotard Thread: Also the personal finance thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, yeah, I keep a maintenance log but I try not to assign prices. I could probably remember or estimate the rough cost for all of the parts, but who wants to? I'm in my mid-20s, single, no dependents, no debt; spending unreasonable amounts of money on motorcycle parts and power tools is almost expected of someone in my situation. I'm not losing any sleep over it.*

* this is highly ironic though cause I drank too much coffee and couldn't sleep last night and decided to spend the time planning out my engine rebuild instead

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 12, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

All this talk has me now seriously contemplating big bore kits haha. I know we all talked about that Namura big bore before which I'm very tempted to snag. Maybe next month. Don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was driving past a dealership with DRZ's out front yesterday and had to remind myself that I *really* can't afford to get a ticket on my first year with a license.

Xovaan posted:

Exactly. Also, if you stick with used vehicles, you're already ahead of the average consumer.

Would you rather have a 2013 Toyota Camry, or a $5000 Brazilian rosewood classical guitar and $5000 worth of recording equipment and fix your current vehicle?

But maybe I'm weird. I think my upper division economics classes are ruining me. :tinfoil:

My friend's car finally died on her, so she was asking people on FB what to buy. I was the only person saying anything remotely like "get a well-maintained Japanese (or maybe Hyundai) car that's ~8 years old", everyone else was suggesting buying new. I assume she paid like ~$17k for the Honda Fit she went with, or rather, will be paying that off for years on her barista salary.

Meanwhile I sold the 1996 Mark II I bought last summer for at a ~$200 loss (AC quit working, didn't have time to investigate it) and am about to head down to the Land Transport Office to register the thirteen year old Atrai-7 I picked up for ~$1400 to replace it. It's got tax due in May and inspection in December, but all told I'm probably going to be out a whopping ~$2k when I go to sell it after a year and a half of ownership.

I just don't get people :confused:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Cross-posting from D&D but it's relevant:

But still: I bought my Aeron chair from a guy who had a "show car" Supra in his garage he said he's put 100k into so far.

"You gonna dyno it?"
"No, it's a show car. Should make about 900 horsepower with the mods though"
"Sweet, is it gonna be drivable?"
"No, it's a show car. It's meant to be hauled to shows"
:what:

If some sad sod in San Jose can spend 100k on a non-driveable, possibly non-running piece of deprecating metal, I sure as hell can spend a meager amount in comparison on motorcycles. :colbert:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Changed the oil in the DRZ today. It's a bit odd when the oil for two-and-a-bit changes is the same price as one filter. Stupid dealership.

In contrast, 10 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 was way more expensive than the single Mann filter for my E55 AMG. It doesn't even equal out miles for miles or time spent, comparatively. Maybe smiles per miles? It's funny that a 40 horsepower bike gives me more thrills than a 500+ horsepower car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

Hell it's cheaper to buy a pretty much top of the line bicycle than it is to buy even a 5 year old sportbike.
:stare: I think you'd be surprised to find out that top of the line bicycles are more along the lines of a top of the line Ducati. I've got the same amount of money into my mountainbike as my Daytona at this point. On that note, time to sell this mountain bike off - I want a drat WR250X now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wallaka posted:

Changed the oil in the DRZ today. It's a bit odd when the oil for two-and-a-bit changes is the same price as one filter. Stupid dealership.

In contrast, 10 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 was way more expensive than the single Mann filter for my E55 AMG. It doesn't even equal out miles for miles or time spent, comparatively. Maybe smiles per miles? It's funny that a 40 horsepower bike gives me more thrills than a 500+ horsepower car.

Buy the filters in bulk off ebay. I bought a 10 pack a while back for cheap.

I know what you mean about cars. I used to be really into cars and now I drive a car that my younger self would have killed for, and am completely bored with it and its 300+ horsepower. Not because its a boring car, but because I'm bored with vehicles that arent motorcycles. Its just a commuting appliance for when the weather is too crappy for the bike. Bikes kind of ruin other vehicles for you most of the time.

BlackMK4 posted:

I want a drat WR250X now.

:hfive:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

:stare: I think you'd be surprised to find out that top of the line bicycles are more along the lines of a top of the line Ducati. I've got the same amount of money into my mountainbike as my Daytona at this point. On that note, time to sell this mountain bike off - I want a drat WR250X now.

Well obviously that's not a catch-all number. Saying that boutique level bikes that cost 20k+ are "top of the line" is like saying that a bike from West Coast Customs or whatever the father/son combo is that costs 100k+++ is the "top of the line" motorcycle. Most people don't notice a difference in anything beyond a certain price point I'd think. Or perhaps they do but it's certainly "good enough" that at that level you're just splitting hairs with diminishing returns.

I'd argue that a bicycle that costs 5-7k is absolutely top of the line as far as everyday people are concerned. Maybe if you're a pro they'd still be lacking but by then your poo poo is probably sponsored / subsidized anyhow.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know what you mean about cars. I used to be really into cars and now I drive a car that my younger self would have killed for, and am completely bored with it and its 300+ horsepower. Not because its a boring car, but because I'm bored with vehicles that arent motorcycles. Its just a commuting appliance for when the weather is too crappy for the bike. Bikes kind of ruin other vehicles for you most of the time.

I know what you mean, used to be really into cars as well, now I drive a car my younger self would have scoffed at (hybrid) and enjoy motorcycling much more.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've gotten to the point where my overriding priority in a car is that it can reliably get me to where I need to be in inclement weather. Because that's about the only time I'm using it and not the bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Speaking of inclement weather, this happened to us in a loving day:

We never get snow, seriously. We have no road gritters/salters and no-one knows what the gently caress to do. Yesterday we were hit by the hardest snowfall we've seen in maybe 50 years. I rode home from work on 80/20 tyres in a force 9-10 blizzard while people with 4x4s were abandoning them by the side of the road. I've never been more convinced that supermotos, especially in the form of road motards like the 690 and DRZ, are just the loving ultimate multi tool of the motorcycling world.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 13, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've never had much luck with my dirtbikes in the snow when I lived in PA. The knobbies tend to clog up and leave you with slicks essentially. It's pretty awesome you made it home though. I'm fortunate enough that the worst stuff we get here is rain and that's rare enough.

I actually get really, really spoiled that the roads are so hot for most of the year. It's awesome being able to roll out and have your tires stick drat well almost right out of the gate.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!

Jim Silly-Balls and BlackMK4 posted:

:glomp: WR250X love! :glomp:

Continuing the wr250x love, I figure it's time to post my on-going project.

So far it's all cosmetic except the handlebars and crash protection. I've started a thread on a wr250 forum with more build details, ongoing questions, etc.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8738-building-beatrice-the-second

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Spring is coming pretty soon, and the itch that has lain dormant overwinter is starting to rustle around and ponder being scratched.

SM-lite suggestions for the GF?
5'2", 27" inseam. Can barely reach the pegs on the DRZ, DEFINITELY cannot reach the ground on it.

My first thought is a "little" 4T dirt bike (30-32" seat height, uncompressed) with a Baja Designs-type lighting kit...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it have to be street legal?

Either way, my recommendation is a TW200!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Legalized CRF150R.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I don't know if it helps but Zeta offers higher that standard pegs for the DRZ I'm pretty sure and you can shave the hell out of the seat if needed. You could also buy cheap 2" lowering links and slide the forks up in the triples to lower it down. I only recommend that stuff as it seems you already have one to ride and it wouldn't require buying it.

I like the idea of a 150R but that may be more maintenance than you / she wants. I'd vote for the CRF230. Aircooled, able to do around-town speeds (50-60mph), super cheap, reliable, etc. They make street legal versions now.

Not the most power but I doubt your gf is planning on doing power wheelies out of the corners at the track. She's probably more interested in spending some fun time with you riding . Seat height is pretty low and you can do the above to get it even lower. My friend has one and we have a bunch of fun on my DRZ with him tagging along.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is your solution http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/3670374634.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

How the gently caress are you supposed to see anything at all? :psyduck:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

stand like a jet ski

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I want a drat WR250X now.

I really couldn't be happier with mine. loving DO IT

Adbot