Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
I'll check that out tomorrow for sure, thanks.

Is there a recommended go to site for miscellaneous parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TylerC 2.0 posted:

I'll check that out tomorrow for sure, thanks.

Is there a recommended go to site for miscellaneous parts?

I've used Rock Auto for regular replacement parts before. I'm not sure if anyone is any cheaper, but I've never had a problem with them.
I've heard the Dorman replacements are not as good of quality as the OEM version of the intake manifold, but they go for about $150 instead of the OEM's $250.

Performance parts are a different matter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Thanks, I pulled the trigger! Face hurts from smiling and body hurts from cold as I refused to put the top up all day!

Just got to get used to all the attention this loud rear end penis car brings!!!

I'm pretty sure I know both where that car was parked in the sale picture, and where you have it parked in the after photo. For my own part, my mustang parks about 150 feet away from the river levee.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Such a small city, we've probably bedded the same women ;)

Say hello sometime why dontcha

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
I fell in love with my 2014 V6 during the test drive and picked it up a couple weeks ago: http://imgur.com/a/80F4m

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rukawa posted:

I fell in love with my 2014 V6 during the test drive and picked it up a couple weeks ago: http://imgur.com/a/80F4m

I see you got a silver star. You would've gotten a gold star if you'd opted for the eight cylinder.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I see you got a silver star. You would've gotten a gold star if you'd opted for the eight cylinder.

People do this poo poo all the time. Maybe he wants better gas mileage or less expensive insurance. V6s are drat fine cars in this generation.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CDW posted:

People do this poo poo all the time. Maybe he wants better gas mileage or less expensive insurance. V6s are drat fine cars in this generation.

Lighten up, Francis.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

That particular dealship does that. I interned in a company in WA for the past two summers and I saw way too many mustangs ruined by that lovely little silver star.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"Ruined" is a serious stretch. It's still a very purdy car and I wish I had one, "only a V6" or not :allears:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I drive a 160hp Focus, I'd love a new V6 mustang. I miss torque.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
Just picked up an 05, I dig it so far.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

shodanjr_gr posted:

That particular dealship does that. I interned in a company in WA for the past two summers and I saw way too many mustangs ruined by that lovely little silver star.

I like my little star, lol.

I did indeed opt for the V6 for the gas mileage, 305/280 is more than enough for a daily driver for me :)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the Borlas arrived Friday. Pulled the old catback off Friday night and finished up the install on Saturday morning. Quite pleased with it, high quality stuff. Loving the sound, no leaks. Not appreciably louder inside, but has a nice deep rumble to it.

Next up: Window tint. Stupid Alabama laws only allow 32%, but not risking anything darker.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2013

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Mustang season is almost here where I live and I will be getting my car out of storage soon. As usual I can afford to spend about a grand to get more suspension parts for my car.
My goal is to have a complete Maximum Motorsports maximum grip suspension kit. This year I am looking to add the torque arm and steering shaft. I was going to do it last year, but I opted to upgrade my
sound system instead.

Now I ran into a couple of problems, MM is telling me that if I run a torque arm I am going to suffer from under steer, and I need to get better springs. however I don't want to buy the springs
because next year I plan on running coil overs to all four corners and doing the sway bar. Now for normal weekend warrior street driving is under steer something I should really be concerned about?
I already have the panhard bar, f/l subframes, bilsteins, H&R springs, lower control arms.

Finally are there any mustang sites that sell both the steering shaft and torque arm? It seems all the major Mustang parts dealers that have free shipping either sell one or the other but not both?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Anyone noticed the rear bumper fit progressively getting worse on their 2012s? This is how mine looks after 10 months of ownership.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tide posted:

So the Borlas arrived Friday. Pulled the old catback off Friday night and finished up the install on Saturday morning. Quite pleased with it, high quality stuff. Loving the sound, no leaks. Not appreciably louder inside, but has a nice deep rumble to it.

Next up: Window tint. Stupid Alabama laws only allow 32%, but not risking anything darker.

They will pull you over if they are bored. According to the tester gizmo the trooper had, my tint is 15%.

It was on the car when I bought it, I just paid the ticket. It was cheaper than getting them re-tinted.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good street/mild performance pad for an '03 V6? I run PBR ULT Ceramics on my e34 and I love them but I can only seem to find them for GTs and up and not the base v6. This is just for dad so it won't get anywhere near a track, but he's always put lovely autozone pads and rotors on it and I'd like to get him something nice for once that isn't going to be loud or twitchy.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
hawk pads?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

shodanjr_gr posted:

Anyone noticed the rear bumper fit progressively getting worse on their 2012s? This is how mine looks after 10 months of ownership.

My '12 is coming up on a year old and haven't had any issues. Maybe somebody bumped into you (or you backed into something)?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

kalvick posted:

hawk pads?
Which ones? I see so many contradictory reviews, saying the same pads are noisy and quiet, good and bad in cold, dusty and not.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tide posted:

My '12 is coming up on a year old and haven't had any issues. Maybe somebody bumped into you (or you backed into something)?

No, that's never happened. The bumper's pristine otherwise. Also, it's been a progressive thing...it didn't just happen today but I've been noticing it growing...I'm just in a particularly bitchy state today and decided to post about it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Lowclock posted:

Which ones? I see so many contradictory reviews, saying the same pads are noisy and quiet, good and bad in cold, dusty and not.

heh, honestly I dont know. I know a lot of my friends run them. I have Cobra 13" brakes and I just use the Ford pads, I learned to live with the brake dust.
I don't find them too noisy but I cant hear them over my exhaust anyways.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lowclock posted:

Can anyone recommend a good street/mild performance pad for an '03 V6? I run PBR ULT Ceramics on my e34 and I love them but I can only seem to find them for GTs and up and not the base v6. This is just for dad so it won't get anywhere near a track, but he's always put lovely autozone pads and rotors on it and I'd like to get him something nice for once that isn't going to be loud or twitchy.

I would stick with AutoZone stuff if not Ford/Motorcraft on a 03 V6.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I put down the best Mustang time at the autocross last weekend; there were 3 other Mustangs, all SN197s; a Roush, a 4.6 GT, and a 5.0 GT.

I gotta say this car has been pretty good to me. The blackout bar is the best part in my opinion; don't see many with it, and I've never seen another gold one with it. Brakes on the car are way too small though; I would characterize them as "sufficient" but just barely. Is there any inexpensive braking upgrades I should consider doing on a '00 GT?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

I put down the best Mustang time at the autocross last weekend; there were 3 other Mustangs, all SN197s; a Roush, a 4.6 GT, and a 5.0 GT.

I gotta say this car has been pretty good to me. The blackout bar is the best part in my opinion; don't see many with it, and I've never seen another gold one with it. Brakes on the car are way too small though; I would characterize them as "sufficient" but just barely. Is there any inexpensive braking upgrades I should consider doing on a '00 GT?

Ford Racing used to have a cheap front kit, it was 13" cobra rotors, 2x two piston calipers, and steel hoses. I think it was about 400 bucks at the time. I think they are pretty hard to find now. SVE makes a clone of that kit for $699. if you want "good" brakes wilwood or baer make $1200 and up kits. I would love to personally get a 14" rotor and 6 piston calipers for the WOW factor ;)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My dad called me this morning asking to borrow my car for work. According to him, when he started his 2011 5.0 it was shaking violently and knocking so loud he thought the engine was going to blow. I went to his place to meet the tow truck and when I started it, it idled perfectly fine and smooth. Exhaust did smell pretty rich but the car was cold.

It's at the dealer right now, but does anyone want to guess in the meantime as to its odd behavior? I'm thinking computer or sensor related messing up the timing. Or perhaps a bad battery screwing with the ECU? The car has been meticulously maintained and only runs premium.

E: Also, unrelated, but our dealer had a Gotta Have it Green V6 in the showroom...goddamn. What a fitting name. That paint job is glorious.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 19, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
One of the dealers here has a 2013 Boss 302 in Gotta Have It Green. It's really something else.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm currently evaluating my options for a new 4.6 V8 flywheel and clutch, and I need a 6 bolt flywheel. I'm mostly going to be using it on road courses and as a weekend car. Any suggestions? Should I get the Ford Racing 21 lb steel, or get an aluminum flywheel?

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Is a transmission cooler effective or snake oil (for track use)?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12495

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is a transmission cooler effective or snake oil (for track use)?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12495

I imagine about as effective as a cold air duct across your oil pan, i.e. not very.

Now, if you ran a line to an external cooler and installed a pump for the gear oil, that might be a different story.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The tranny is finned, so ever so slightly more effective than if it weren't:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/01-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg
Is that all trannies, or just the Boss'?

Also, I just love the sig to post ratio from this Stang forum:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Not sure if this has been posted here or not yet, but it's worth a repost.

http://youtu.be/rK6usuQdgos

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/01-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

I think they all have those fins, but you can see the Boss 302 has the scoop below the transmission. The GT has just some bar going across

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Also, I just love the sig to post ratio from this Stang forum:

If that was my ride, I'd probably have that sig on my face.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Looking for help identifying these unconnected wires or a resource I could use to identify them. These are on a 98 GT, first picture shows some wires located right behind engine, I found the connecting piece but the tabs don't match up quite right. Could be damage or could be the fact the the engine is from a 2002

And these are closer to the back of the car and will obviously need replacing.

Still loving this stupid loud lookatme machine, quite a change of pace to all the 4cylinder cars and trucks I've owned before it. Not so good at garage sales

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I'm now going through the motor for a second time on my 96 GT track car. Both times have been the same issue, cracked pistons. There were definite signs of detonation on all the pistons, and in both instances of tearing into the engine the pistons in cylinders 3 and 4 have been cracked. The mods I have are PI heads/intake, off road x-pipe, A/C delete and cold air intake. The car has no tune, but does have a BBK timing adjuster and fuel pressure regulator.

I'm still trying to decide if it's a heat related issue or if its running lean, or a combination of both. The engine never gets above 210-215* while on track, which I don't think is too hot, but I could be wrong. I have learned that there is an issue of the coolant stagnating in the rear of the cylinder heads, so I'm planning on doing the cooling mod (or crack pipe mod as some call it) this time. I'm also planning to box in more of the radiator and redesign my radiator air dam. I currently have a Mishimoto aluminum radiator.

As far as tuning goes, the class I'm in only allows timing and AFR adjustments with a timing adjuster or fuel pressure regulator (this is a poo poo rule.) When I had it on the dyno I was able to get the AFR to around a 12.7 using the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not convinced adjusting the fuel pressure does anything once the car has been run for a while and the computer adjusts, but I could be wrong. I also pulled 2* of timing using the timing adjuster while on the dyno in hopes of reducing the chance of detonation.

So I guess my question is, short of a tune, is there anything else I can do/check to ensure that I can reduce the chances of detonation? The MAF sensor is clean, O2 sensors are new, and I just replaced the fuel pump. Would a higher rated fuel pump be necessary in this situation? I'm only making 255-260 RWHP, so I would think the stock one would be sufficient. I'm also replacing the injectors as well. I've thought about going up to 24 lbs injectors, but without a tune I don't know if they would do any good. Even with a 19 lbs pulse width the 24's should push more fuel in, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Get a proper tune that doesn't pop motors. If someone asks, that darn PO must have installed it!

Also maybe throw a couple degree cooler thermostat in there? That temp isn't really that hot though, like you said.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 24, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TylerC 2.0 posted:

And these are closer to the back of the car and will obviously need replacing.

Those are the connectors for the two rear oxygen sensors which by the looks of your exhaust you don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lowclock posted:

Get a proper tune that doesn't pop motors. If someone asks, that darn PO must have installed it!

Also maybe throw a couple degree cooler thermostat in there? That temp isn't really that hot though, like you said.

Running a 165* in it right now.