Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

BSS, or at least Rhyno, X-O, and I, like the current run. Slott's first solo run starting with Big Time, broke my continuous Amazing Spider-Man run that started with #252.

Big Time was indeed horrible. The book was great post Secret Wars but the current issue was a dud. Here's hoping next issue rights the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chaos Hippy posted:

So....he wrote a (subjectively) bad story? It's a good thing every writer doesn't do that at least once in their careers, or the medium would be choked with lovely stories.

VV:thejoke:

Most of what he's written since Superior has been bad(well I've heard that post Secret Wars it's gotten a bit better, even if Regent is one of the dumbest Villain concepts Marvel has had in a long time), need I bring up Spider-Verse?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I mean, even if the 'current book' is good that leaves us with like a hundred loving lovely issues of Spider-man that Slott had a part in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Die Laughing posted:

Am I the first person to mention that Dan Slott wrote that?

That's fitting, since he wrote one of my favorite What If issues (and probably my favorite Slott-written comic) about a similar concept, What If War Machine Hadn't Destroyed the Living Laser.

I'm at work so I don't have scans, but the gist of it is that it's based on a story from the early 90's Iron Man run where Tony faked his death and Rhodey took over the company. Living Laser showed up to kill Tony and Rhodey was all, "Nope, he's dead. Hey, you're a scientist type with nothing to do. Want to join my company? Haha, just kidding, I'm blasting you into space." In the What If, Rhodey actually hires him and we get a story about a villain struggling with trying to go legit while everyone else he works with is afraid of his presence.

Once it reaches the point where Rhodey and Laser discover that Tony Stark's alive, it branches into three different endings based on how everyone reacts. The whole issue works as this character study about a man trying to be a better person when the "better" people he's dealing with are morally and emotionally questionable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Slott is pretty terrible on average but like every good writer has some duds he can knock it out of the park occasionally, like Peter and Norman's first encounter after Otto restores him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gaz-L posted:

That's such bad odds.

They need more Decepticons to fight Megatron.

Yeah, especially when things like this were happening a lot in that specific issue.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh look they're bringing Headmasters back :downs:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Are all of these Transformers panels from More Than Meets the Eye?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The last ones, anyway. I don't really recall much RID/Adjectiveless being posted, but it might be in there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That's actually a new character introduced in More Than Meets The Eye named Tailgate. He was a pre-war waste disposal bot that was basically in a hibernating state and missed the whole thing, spent most of the series so far being scared of everything until he was put under the stress of finding out someone he loved was being brutally killed and went the Transformers-equivalent of Super-Saiyan (radically increased strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.).

I don't remember the name of the bot whose head he just took, but he was part of the Decepticon Justice Division (the worst of the worst, who went around punishing Decepticons that deserted; basically, a group that nobody wants to gently caress with).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

That's actually a new character introduced in More Than Meets The Eye named Tailgate. He was a pre-war waste disposal bot that was basically in a hibernating state and missed the whole thing, spent most of the series so far being scared of everything until he was put under the stress of finding out someone he loved was being brutally killed and went the Transformers-equivalent of Super-Saiyan (radically increased strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.).

I don't remember the name of the bot whose head he just took, but he was part of the Decepticon Justice Division (the worst of the worst, who went around punishing Decepticons that deserted; basically, a group that nobody wants to gently caress with).
Whoosh

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nah, Whoosh is an Autobot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

They actually are!

Not that dude though. Tailgate just murdered him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This could go in touching or comedy, but I'm feeling touched.

Flintstones #1

Context: Fred Flintstone's quarry boss, Mr. Slate has just hired three Neanderthal workers. They have no concept of civilization and money, so he's pumped to exploit them. Fred's been showing them everything modern day Bedrock has to offer, and they're all at Slate's company jacuzzi party.
Slate had previously given Fred a speech about fate and how his name is what will be remembered of this time in history.

This is most of the end of the comic, so spoilers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Uhh... :stare:

How exactly is that touching or inspiring? Exploited worker is convinced by boss to do something he's afraid of, dies horribly. Jesus, the Flintstones comic is dark.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that isn't very touching and it sure isn't funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

How exactly is that touching or inspiring? Exploited worker is convinced by boss to do something he's afraid of, dies horribly.

I think post-history karmic revenge counts for something.

e: Shoulda posted the Wilma cave painting pages.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 6, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is it just me or does Mr. Slate look a lot like Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Dinomachines, son!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tell you what though, if rebooting Hanna-Barbera cartoons with realistic art is gonna be the new thing, I am pumped for Yogi Bear

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know if that's touching, but Slate's Armadillo thong definitely belongs in the funny thread.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
SWEET BEEF!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Captain Bravo posted:

How exactly is that touching or inspiring? Exploited worker is convinced by boss to do something he's afraid of, dies horribly. Jesus, the Flintstones comic is dark.

As I recall, the writer of the Flintstones remake is on the record as saying he loving hates the Flintstones.

This should be interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That sequence, combined with the framing device (the page in the modern museum occurs like half the comic later than the death) is blackly comic, and is touching in the sense that it's depressing, but the better sequence would've been Wilma's art exhibit, yes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Captain Bravo posted:

Mr Slate was taking advantage of the neanderthal, and he thought his name would go down in history. Because of his actions, the neanderthal is now remembered is the big man on top.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phy posted:

I tell you what though, if rebooting Hanna-Barbera cartoons with realistic art is gonna be the new thing, I am pumped for Yogi Bear

Hell no, Quick Draw McGraw done Punisher style. "El Kabong" is going to have a whole new meaning! :black101:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Quickdraw (as El Kabong): You might not have broken any laws but today I'm not the law!

SFX1: Kaaa-bong!
SFX2: nek-shnap!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fred is loving jacked

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
...I keep wanting to say "that's stupid" but I have posted Transformers MTMTE once so I'm probably a hypocrite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

As I recall, the writer of the Flintstones remake is on the record as saying he loving hates the Flintstones.

This should be interesting.

That's actually news that makes me the opposite of interested.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lurdiak posted:

That's actually news that makes me the opposite of interested.
It's the actual pages people are posting that is doing that for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A creator having contempt for the source material has rarely worked out well, in my experience. It's not how you get fun satires, it's how you get Batman Forever or the 89 Punisher.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't that how we got the Adam West Batman though?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FilthyImp posted:

A lot of the early episodes had their plots taken directly from comics that were coming out at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

A creator having contempt for the source material has rarely worked out well, in my experience. It's not how you get fun satires, it's how you get Batman Forever or the 89 Punisher.

You're probably right on average, but it also got us Starship Troopers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Starship Troopers wasn't originally meant to be a Starship Troopers movie, they just gave it the name(and changed a couple minor details around) when they were able to get the licence for cheap

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

FilthyImp posted:

That show was super faithful to the comics, modern fanboys just don't want to admit that Batman was ever anything but a grim, broody rear end in a top hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chris Sims reviews of the show on Comics Alliance are pretty solid reads for the ones that are based on actual Silver Age stories, because he does some good comparisons of the episode to the comic and points out what was changed and why it might be.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Also, Freddy vs. Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drrockso20 posted:

Starship Troopers wasn't originally meant to be a Starship Troopers movie, they just gave it the name(and changed a couple minor details around) when they were able to get the licence for cheap

That might be true, but Verhoven used it to satirize glorification of fascist ideals in both the book and contemporary action films.
I love Starship Troopers.