Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Ah, we have a large game store here in SE MI called Pandemonium.

I know, there was at least once when a shipment we really wanted at my former workplace, the large store in Boston, ended up at the one in MI instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Space Marine by Ian Watson

quote:

Biff Tundrish,

quote:

He shut his eyes – the better to concentrate upon the cramped flexing of his muscles; upon that monotonous, peristaltic thrust upwards as of some gross mutant baby ascending a vertical birth canal in defiance both of gravity and of sane obstetrics.

quote:

Compression of the guts caused inevitable farting. D’Arquebus vented through his tunic and his silks virtually into Yeremi’s face. Nor did Yeremi have much option but to gas Tundrish in turn. Yeremi at least gasped out an apology to the body below him. “Pardon me, brother.” “S’all right,” panted Tundrish. “Reminds me of home in the underhive…”

quote:

In his mind’s eyes Lexandro could no longer quite capture nor comprehend the essentially alien anatomy of his quondam sisters. The anatomy of… woman…

quote:

“WE’RE GOING IN through its anus,” Biff whooped boisterously. Indeed. Indeed.

quote:

The nose of the torpedo impacted rupturingly in that meatus, wrenching its tissue open, burrowing deeper convulsively with thrusts of its jets as the Fists clung to stanchions. The torpedo rocked as a shaped charge on the nose cone erupted, blasting a passageway ahead. Swiftly the spring-loaded cone itself petalled open, becoming a fourfold hatch pressing fiercely against the inner anal walls in the manner of a surgical dilator. “Out, out, out!” This rectum of the alien ship curved rightward, aslosh with steaming cloacal fluids, banded with slowly pulsing purple peristaltic sinew. The high shriek of escaping atmosphere had already diminished to a whistle as the injured anus cramped tighter, reflexively, around the girth of the plasteel troop-carrier which had penetrated it.

quote:

Lo Chang had sat behind a filigree screen, upon a painstool – not so much that he should experience due anguish at a brother’s admission of shortcomings… Nay, the constipative pangs induced in the nerves of his buttocks may have been subtly pleasurable… but so that thus he might sympathetically take into himself some of the confessee’s misery, then defecate this discomfiture out of his own body, metamorphosed into crass waste matter, fit to be jettisoned.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
That, 100%, is some fetish poo poo he's writing there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SPACE MARINE owns.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

SPACE MARINE owns.

hell yeah, Imperial Fists deliberately disobeying rules so they can be put in a full body torture device as punishment, incidentally they all have a geneseed fault that gives them a BDSM fetish for pain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can someone explain what the hell is going on in the third quote?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

he peep a titty

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
bhabi what u do

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Priest takes a poo poo during confession

Edit: wait that's the last one

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey guys I was like 30 pages behind on the thread and read like three and now I'm here

Did I miss anything important while the 40K player for some bizarre reason decided to have a meltdown and try to convince people that because GW is improving, it means they're super duper awesome and the best, when in reality it just means they're slightly less garbage

It's like "Hey, the restaurant used to give you smelly diarrhea in a bowl, but now they give you dry, scentless turds, which is a vast improvement, they're good now"

E: ALL THOUGH I will grant that Shadespire looks pretty cool. I also acknowledge that they are actually trying with stuff like Shadow War and General's Handbook II: Sigmarite Boogaloo, but they've got quite a way to go.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

FrostyPox posted:

Hey guys I was like 30 pages behind on the thread and read like three and now I'm here

They looked into the abyss and the abyss looked back. Of course, now that the thread stopped taking their bait, things have gone quiet because we recognize that GW hasn't done anything particularly egregious in the last week.

quote:

E: ALL THOUGH I will grant that Shadespire looks pretty cool. I also acknowledge that they are actually trying with stuff like Shadow War and General's Handbook II: Sigmarite Boogaloo, but they've got quite a way to go.

I'm still not really sure Shadow War is them "trying stuff" or doing something objectively good. It's a reskinning of a 20+ year old ruleset without any attempt at modernization or fixing problems people have had with it for a very long time. There are still fundamental issues like close combat being a slog, every possible condition having its own modifier, and Initiative being a garbage way to resolve every instance of "reacting". We still have no idea what ongoing support will look like and the terrain, which I don't personally like the aesthetic of, is fairly expensive, especially when you take into account just how much competition there is in the scifi terrain market at the moment.

I'm not going to get dragged into an argument about sales because GW stuff is going to sell a minimum threshold every time and people for some reason are still perfectly happy to take bad gaming over no gaming and that often means buying into whatever GW is currently offering, but it seems to me at best that GW played into confusion about whether or not SWA was or was not the Necromunda reboot and banked on nostalgia moving units more than what was actually offered in the box (which I think even GW diehards were like "scouts and orks... whoopie").

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

They looked into the abyss and the abyss looked back. Of course, now that the thread stopped taking their bait, things have gone quiet because we recognize that GW hasn't done anything particularly egregious in the last week.
How smug can you get about a TG thread? The abyss? :laffo:. Y'all bit on B&C copy and pastes for two days without realizing it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah no, I'm not saying that they're doing well and that all is forgiven, but it does seem like that through the haze of their own soporific farts, which have kept them complacent for a decade plus, they seem to be vaguely aware that something is wrong, but they don't quite know what, so they're trying things that are different for them.

This could be the beginning of a slow turn around if they can continue wising up, but historically, they've always bungled every chance they've had.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GW is good thou

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

How smug can you get about a TG thread? The abyss? :laffo:. Y'all bit on B&C copy and pastes for two days without realizing it.

All the posts explaining why this doesn't prove the point you think it proves are still there so I won't belabor the issue. But it's pretty telling that the main guy replying in earnest to every copy-pasted post vanished as soon as people stopped copy-pasting idiot opinions.

As for the "abyss" comment, I wasn't referring to this thread, so I guess that's your bias showing. GW has been getting more open about the fact that something major is coming to 40k and a bunch of fans of space dollies had an existential crisis.That's not on us.

And as I said above, this thread was quiet before 40k posters started copy-pasting poo poo and was quiet after. People here aren't going out of their way just to poo poo on GW and GW hasn't been doing anything especially terrible lately. We're mostly just waiting to see how Age of the Emperor plays out and there's little to talk about otherwise.

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah no, I'm not saying that they're doing well and that all is forgiven, but it does seem like that through the haze of their own soporific farts, which have kept them complacent for a decade plus, they seem to be vaguely aware that something is wrong, but they don't quite know what, so they're trying things that are different for them.

This could be the beginning of a slow turn around if they can continue wising up, but historically, they've always bungled every chance they've had.

Wait and see, I guess. I thought it was neat that they put the old Blood Bowl teams up for sale until I saw the prices on them. I have no reason to think anything they do in the future will be reasonable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shadow war is in theory a good move from GW in a business sense, in that it provides a less costly (in GW terms) entry point to 40k for new players, and encourages old players to branch out into different armies. It's smart, imo.

Prices are still too high, but that's like saying water is still wet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Shadow war is in theory a good move from GW in a business sense, in that it provides a less costly (in GW terms) entry point to 40k for new players, and encourages old players to branch out into different armies. It's smart, imo.

Prices are still too high, but that's like saying water is still wet.

And all they had to do was steal the idea from Mantic.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dude, the Shadow Wars box is $220 Australian. Even if you split it between two people, that's still shelling out $110 each! That is not a less costly entry point, even for GW.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm still not really sure Shadow War is them "trying stuff" or doing something objectively good. It's a reskinning of a 20+ year old ruleset without any attempt at modernization or fixing problems people have had with it for a very long time.

Atlas Hugged posted:

And all they had to do was steal the idea from Mantic.

You're saying GW simultaneously stole the rules and ideas from themselves in the past as well as a different company. Get your indiscriminate making GBS threads straight, man!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

Dude, the Shadow Wars box is $220 Australian. Even if you split it between two people, that's still shelling out $110 each! That is not a less costly entry point, even for GW.

The cheapest cost of entry is rulebook + miniatures. Or just miniatures if you know someone with the book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hamshot posted:

You're saying GW simultaneously stole the rules and ideas from themselves in the past as well as a different company. Get your indiscriminate making GBS threads straight, man!

:rolleyes:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

:allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh for gently caress's sake get a room

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
At its core, SW:A isn't the worst idea, since GW has sorely needed a good entry point to 40k where you only need a handful of models to have an interesting game. However, there are two problems: 1) billing it as a revival of Necromunda is guaranteed to disappoint anyone who liked any of the old gangs (there were lots of people in this very thread who said "well if they release new Clan Escher models, I'll buy them"); 2) re-releasing a 20 year old ruleset with minimal changes speaks to GW's ignorance (or simply disinterest) in how tabletop games have developed since then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

We have previously established in this thread that GW pricing in australia and new zealand is bizarrely warped. Even compared to GW's pricing elsewhere. I'm very sorry for how badly you guys get screwed, but: you just cannot judge how well GW is pricing anything by looking at the didgeridollar price tag.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

We have previously established in this thread that GW pricing in australia and new zealand is bizarrely warped. Even compared to GW's pricing elsewhere. I'm very sorry for how badly you guys get screwed, but: you just cannot judge how well GW is pricing anything by looking at the didgeridollar price tag.

I think the preferred nomenclature is "dollarydoo".

$130USD is still insane for what you get in the box and what competitors offer. Shadow Wars really only makes sense if you have old GW minis you want to use and you don't want to gently caress around with the current edition of 40k.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
GW makes fun games that I enjoy playing

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm still not really sure Shadow War is them "trying stuff" or doing something objectively good. It's a reskinning of a 20+ year old ruleset without any attempt at modernization or fixing problems people have had with it for a very long time. There are still fundamental issues like close combat being a slog, every possible condition having its own modifier, and Initiative being a garbage way to resolve every instance of "reacting". We still have no idea what ongoing support will look like and the terrain, which I don't personally like the aesthetic of, is fairly expensive, especially when you take into account just how much competition there is in the scifi terrain market at the moment.

I'm not going to get dragged into an argument about sales because GW stuff is going to sell a minimum threshold every time and people for some reason are still perfectly happy to take bad gaming over no gaming and that often means buying into whatever GW is currently offering, but it seems to me at best that GW played into confusion about whether or not SWA was or was not the Necromunda reboot and banked on nostalgia moving units more than what was actually offered in the box (which I think even GW diehards were like "scouts and orks... whoopie").

All the posts explaining why this doesn't prove the point you think it proves are still there so I won't belabor the issue. But it's pretty telling that the main guy replying in earnest to every copy-pasted post vanished as soon as people stopped copy-pasting idiot opinions.

As for the "abyss" comment, I wasn't referring to this thread, so I guess that's your bias showing. GW has been getting more open about the fact that something major is coming to 40k and a bunch of fans of space dollies had an existential crisis.That's not on us.

And as I said above, this thread was quiet before 40k posters started copy-pasting poo poo and was quiet after. People here aren't going out of their way just to poo poo on GW and GW hasn't been doing anything especially terrible lately. We're mostly just waiting to see how Age of the Emperor plays out and there's little to talk about otherwise.

Wait and see, I guess. I thought it was neat that they put the old Blood Bowl teams up for sale until I saw the prices on them. I have no reason to think anything they do in the future will be reasonable.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whats wrong? couldnt scrape another 5 bucks together for another furry av? hard out in dem streets eh son?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

whats wrong? couldnt scrape another 5 bucks together for another furry av? hard out in dem streets eh son?

Feel free to buy one if you miss it so much. :)

Goodness knows no-one here spends money on any good games so I'm sure you're all loaded. :)

You're all so busy working and not having time for fun. :)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I have been pretty busy lately

gee dub bad

skulls good

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I played Infinity last night.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!!", I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a jewel like object of wonder.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Remember how hard the death thread posters annihilated everyone by posting thousands of words of sincere arguments in response to literal nonsense?

Welcome to the abyss bitch prepare to get wrecked. Also, sperg is a slur to the neuroatypical, please respect my powerful brain that can't loving stop posting about not liking games I don't play and that do not impact me in any way.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I posted like half the responses because I was bored on a train to Scotland and I come to the death thread to discuss GW being poo poo, I even said so at the time.
I don't know any of the GW fan posters so who loving knows if anything they're posting is real or not and who cares?

The posters who owned me so hard are still here defending GWs honour while the 40k thread gets like 3 posts a day so it was good for the death thread.
When one of their armies gets squatted during age of the emperor (unless like all sensible 40k players you all just play a Marines) the death thread will be here for them like it was for the Fantasy faithful. It's a good thing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Remember how hard the death thread posters annihilated everyone by posting thousands of words of sincere arguments in response to literal nonsense?

Welcome to the abyss bitch prepare to get wrecked. Also, sperg is a slur to the neuroatypical, please respect my powerful brain that can't loving stop posting about not liking games I don't play and that do not impact me in any way.

i'm gay

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

i'm gay

:same:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Moola posted:

i'm gay

Hi gay

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hahaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My kids school does a 'family learning night' and they get a bunch of different individuals and businesses in to do little 45m lectures or demos and GeeDubs actually showed up for a learn to paint event.

My 11 year old daughter picked it and painted part of her first mini last night:

Probably the first in a long chain of bad decisions. I expect next it will be a crack-based pregnancy.

• Locked thread