Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
When the next Bolt Thrower appears we're gonna goonswarm their bandcamp and buy poo poo whether or not they're on spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need a decent record player setup so I can get back to buying records. I’ve never blasted some good old school metal on vinyl through my nice headphones and that’s an absolute shame.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Fenrir posted:

When the next Bolt Thrower appears we're gonna goonswarm their bandcamp and buy poo poo whether or not they're on spotify.

WE

ARE

JOLT

TOSSER!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tias posted:

ftfy

I'm sorry but if you let a lovely exploitative hipster prep project like Spotify take over providing your music, you deserve everything you get, up to and including having your genres renamed by a post-everything lumbersexual who only listens to indie.

Cool.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CornHolio posted:

WE

ARE

JOLT

TOSSER!

MOAT BOATER

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price
I'm a page late but I definitely appreciate the making GBS threads on Nevermore posts.

Solstice released 2 rerecordings of some of their music with the new vocalist:

https://solstice-englander.bandcamp.com/album/white-thane

Not sure it's as good as the previous vocalist, but it does fit the music. Looking forward to seeing some new material with her.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

MrBling posted:

It's just muscle memory these days. Mostly because I don't think there are any Nevermore fans left. At least not ones that post about it here.

It's me :sadwave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe0gLinbfus

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Guys I'm really sorry I destroyed the music industry by streaming all those Ghost songs :(

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it's been awhile since i've given SOD a spin and every time i forget about how good their live at budokan recording was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8HLrh1U-z8

anyways here's the full show (it owns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJoE6SxQ9mE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow, I forgot this existed!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's been awhile since i've given SOD a spin and every time i forget about how good their live at budokan recording was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8HLrh1U-z8

anyways here's the full show (it owns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJoE6SxQ9mE

I was at that show! It loving ruled, morbid angel was amazing too. Billy’s jump off the speaker stack was amazing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

COOL CORN posted:

Guys I'm really sorry I destroyed the music industry by streaming all those Ghost songs :(

what even is a transaction I mutter retardedly, while sending my money to an record industry specifically lobbying for large shows with cookie cutter bands that ensure return on investment and dicking over emerging artists

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tias posted:

what even is a transaction I mutter retardedly, while sending my money to an record industry specifically lobbying for large shows with cookie cutter bands that ensure return on investment and dicking over emerging artists

Ok boomer

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just lol if you think bands were ever going to see revenue from record sales again with or without streaming. Especially metal bands.

Also acting like streaming killed the next Bolt Thrower when there has been a fuckton of good death metal in the past few years is really showing your rear end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The music industry is an absolute mess that needs a massive restructuring but shaming people for using it is very dumb and counterintuitive.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

The music industry is an absolute mess that needs a massive restructuring but shaming people for using it is very dumb and counterintuitive.

Not shaming anyone, I'm just not sure why y'all can't buy your Black Sabbath or Ghost albums and live with the unbearable indignity of not having a list showing you how much voidgaze you listened to this year :confused:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tias posted:

Not shaming anyone, I'm just not sure why y'all can't buy your Black Sabbath or Ghost albums and live with the unbearable indignity of not having a list showing you how much voidgaze you listened to this year :confused:

Because it’s very convenient and cds are pointless to me. Through streaming I’ve found a ton of bands I never would have before and ended up buying merch etc. it really does bring in extra income and discoverability to bands if you’re not hyper focused on the universally busted aspect of “getting paid for album spins”. I hear you though, I do. I think a mass shift away from streaming by users would be great but I don’t see it happening. We have what we have so we may as well use it, preferably while supporting bands and labels we like directly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tias posted:

I buy the albums then also stream them :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tias posted:

With streaming available, I prefer to give that same money to the bands directly via merch when I see them live, or at least in their online merch store, because they see a way bigger portion of that money than record sales.

But I guess you know my priorities better than I do, so who am I to say :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 6, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also I'm 100% sure that big column of "voidgaze" was Mare Cognitum and Alcest repeatedly all year

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can respect that - I'm just annoyed at the complacency in it. We take for granted that the music can't make them money, and also it's more convenient for us to gently caress them over? Well, that sticks in my craw.

It's not going to be an understood standpoint in here, so I guess I'll drop it for now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Physical media is pointless.

Bands being fully online is how it is and if they are smart they can utilize the tools to tour and make more money. I watched some vid on a hip hop group who used the amount of listens of their stuff to plan a tour and sorted by people who listened to stuff every day. They manage themselves and make a ton of cash.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tias posted:

I can respect that - I'm just annoyed at the complacency in it. We take for granted that the music can't make them money, and also it's more convenient for us to gently caress them over? Well, that sticks in my craw.

It's not going to be an understood standpoint in here, so I guess I'll drop it for now.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Having been in a label-supported band, and having friends on big labels, I can tell you for sure that record sales are a tiny fraction of the money they get as income as musicians. And nowadays, labels look at streams just as much as they look at sales when they're trying to decide who to promote and put money into.

My point is

ok boomer

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the music is just an avenue to sell you merch aka The Lifestyle

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vintersorg posted:

Bands being fully online is how it is and if they are smart they can utilize the tools to tour and make more money. I watched some vid on a hip hop group who used the amount of listens of their stuff to plan a tour and sorted by people who listened to stuff every day. They manage themselves and make a ton of cash.

I vaguely recall reading about this too, they had a map planned out based on the metrics from their Spotify plays. When you looked at the tour dates it'd make you think "why the gently caress are they playing Oxford Mississippi?" Or whatever but hey it worked

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

Nah though @ this in general

Records!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nah though @ this in general

Records!

"Physical media is pointless to the success or failure of a band" is probably a more accurate statement.

Records rule

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also there are literally thousands of metal bands out there and streaming is a good way to get a feel for a band/genre without having to buy a bunch of albums (and heaven forbid you get the wrong album from a band)

And anyway it's not like it's a hot secret that bands make 99% of their money from ticket and merch sales

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i buy all my work clothes from metal shows

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I do like records! :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

COOL CORN posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Having been in a label-supported band, and having friends on big labels, I can tell you for sure that record sales are a tiny fraction of the money they get as income as musicians. And nowadays, labels look at streams just as much as they look at sales when they're trying to decide who to promote and put money into.

My point is

ok boomer

Bands can and do sell their music directly through sites like Bandcamp, where it goes completely to them, once Bandcamp's reasonable cut is deducted. Even bands on relatively big labels (in metal terms) do this, presumably because they were smart enough to not sign the rights over 100% to the labels.

For bands on major labels, there isn't much you can do to support them outside of going to their concerts and buying some merch, which you should obviously also do to support smaller and independent bands.

That said, there is a limit to how many band shirts one person can reasonably ever use, CDs suck, I only buy older music on LP, and I don't need more hip flasks, or most other things bands sell in their merch stands. So most of the time I'll end up buying a patch, maybe a metal pin and some stickers, if they have any. That isn't really a lot of money.

So I help out on a metal website, because I figure I can influence which bands get mention and get their albums reviewed, and it helps to be recommended by sites with reasonable readership numbers, which puts more people at their shows and sells albums. Still, I wish more bands would use Bandcamp, so I could support them directly.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also there are literally thousands of metal bands out there and streaming is a good way to get a feel for a band/genre without having to buy a bunch of albums (and heaven forbid you get the wrong album from a band)

And anyway it's not like it's a hot secret that bands make 99% of their money from ticket and merch sales

I use Youtube for that. Get a recommendation from a site or a friend or FB, go to Youtube and check them out, probably buy the album on Bandcamp.

I haven't missed Spotify for my own listening needs even once since I cancelled my subscription. I can still add tracks to the collaborative playlists some of my friends use at parties, so I'm good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I use Youtube for that. Get a recommendation from a site or a friend or FB, go to Youtube and check them out, probably buy the album on Bandcamp.

I haven't missed Spotify for my own listening needs even once since I cancelled my subscription. I can still add tracks to the collaborative playlists some of my friends use at parties, so I'm good.

I dunno if it really matters if you're using Youtube or Spotify for the same purpose tbh

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

COOL CORN posted:

Records rule

So, I sent all my monies to Slovakia (by way of Ireland) today...

Love me some Malokarpatan.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, I sent all my monies to Slovakia (by way of Ireland) today...

Love me some Malokarpatan.

Oh poo poo that rules!!

I saw them in DC about a year ago, and I think the only English the singer knew was "gently caress yeah" because that's all he said between songs. It was a killer show

Don't worry, I purchased a shirt so they have my money and I'm legally allowed to listen to them now.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

As said above just go to a show and buy a shirt and that money will go a whole lot farther than buying the album (but you should get it on wax especially if the art rules).

Anywho, Friday release day

Marijannah, dude weed doom. The boys from Wormrot, their last album with this project is one of my favorite doom albums so I'm sure this will own.
Human Fortress have a new one up on non-BC, good pm band.
Revel in Flesh, dm
Nightwish have a new live album out maybe it's good but probably not
Fen, voidgaze. I had no idea this was coming and am extremely happy, their album Winter was my AOTY 2017.
Running Wild have a new EP out.
Sun of the Sleepless/Cavernous Gate full length split, voidgaze. Sun of the Sleepless is one of my favorite voidgaze bands with a relatively small body of work, I don't know Cavernous Gate at all.
Helleborus, meloblack.
Imprecation/Black Blood Invocation split, black death

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nazzadan posted:

As said above just go to a show and buy a shirt and that money will go a whole lot farther than buying the album (but you should get it on wax especially if the art rules).

Anywho, Friday release day

Marijannah, dude weed doom. The boys from Wormrot, their last album with this project is one of my favorite doom albums so I'm sure this will own.
Human Fortress have a new one up on non-BC, good pm band.
Revel in Flesh, dm
Nightwish have a new live album out maybe it's good but probably not
Fen, voidgaze. I had no idea this was coming and am extremely happy, their album Winter was my AOTY 2017.
Running Wild have a new EP out.
Sun of the Sleepless/Cavernous Gate full length split, voidgaze. Sun of the Sleepless is one of my favorite voidgaze bands with a relatively small body of work, I don't know Cavernous Gate at all.
Helleborus, meloblack.
Imprecation/Black Blood Invocation split, black death

I feel attacked

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

This. I just check this thread or wait for mrbling to fire a message to me in an IRC channel and then I blow my cash on a bunch of poo poo on bandcamp.

I used to use spotify but they don't always have what I'm looking for, so I just use iTunes match which lets me download poo poo from bandcamp, drag and drop it and I can stream it anywhere I have my phone, which is integrated with my car viar carplay. If I'm worried about being in a place without cell coverage, I can download as much as I want on my phone and it solves that issue.

Spotify is ok I guess but I don't see any purpose to it and it seems like it rips off artists.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i read an interview with marijanna where the dude was saying where hes from (Singapore) the cops can literally yank you from the streets and draw your blood with no warrant or reason and if they find drugs like THC IN YOUR SYSTEM you go to jail. So its actually pretty badass theyre playing DUDE WEED LMAO metal (and its genuinely fantastic music)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Metal Thread #19862016 - VOID GAZER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

i read an interview with marijanna where the dude was saying where hes from (Singapore) the cops can literally yank you from the streets and draw your blood with no warrant or reason and if they find drugs like THC IN YOUR SYSTEM you go to jail. So its actually pretty badass theyre playing DUDE WEED LMAO metal (and its genuinely fantastic music)

Sober stoner metal makes me so sad for those bands :( weed owns