Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Re glove chat, my Held air-and-dry goretex gloves are great spring/mild-summer/mild-autumn gloves.

They keep the rain out fine, have excellent feel and are super comfortable and breathe well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

epswing posted:

I read this as "Mailbox" and thought that would look great on a beater.

The Maxibox really does look like garbage pail on its side (aka "rear end").

I also read it as mailbox and pictured like the ammo can pannier thing but with mailboxes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

I read this as "Mailbox" and thought that would look great on a beater.

The Maxibox really does look like garbage pail on its side (aka "rear end").

Surely at this point the needle swings in favour of a milk crate or whatever.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Doggy food bin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXabq6LMSg&t=919s

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine mounting a pelicase, problem is all the mounting solutions appear to be the expensive part.

If you mean like the bent steel racks that you actually connect the boxes and stuff to then yeah, there's not much way around that unless you know a guy with a pipe bender and a welding rig who'll let you pay him in beer.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Are fake exhausts a thing? I was behind a Harley bagger of some description in traffic today, and when the rider revved the engine I heard a distinct v-twin sound. However, smoke and exhaust pulses only came out of the left hand exhaust pipe, nothing appeared to come out of the other one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People have definitely put fake exhausts on their motorcycles before but I think that's unlikely in this case. Probably the two cylinders were tuned differently and one was running a little more rich or something.

Maybe Slavvy knows of a specific Harley that does some dumb poo poo like routes both headers into one cat/muffler and then doesn't actually split back out, idk

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 28, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Are fake exhausts a thing? I was behind a Harley bagger of some description in traffic today, and when the rider revved the engine I heard a distinct v-twin sound. However, smoke and exhaust pulses only came out of the left hand exhaust pipe, nothing appeared to come out of the other one.

The exhaust valves are on the same side (right hand), very often both pipes are on that side as well. You do get baggers where one pipe crosses under and exits on the other side. Perhaps some fluid dynamic fuckery causes most of the pressure to end up in one pipe, although intuitively think it would be the right one since that would be the shortest. Or perhaps a cheapo version has a fake pipe on one side, but you'd think that would be the right one too so you didn't need the crossover. But yeah could be one was running worse than the other and making more smoke.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

pun pundit posted:

Are fake exhausts a thing?

Yes.

Basically you replace a 2:2 system with a 2:1 system for performance but because the rear bags have a cutout for the exhaust pipes you buy a "ghost pipe" for the other side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Yes.

Basically you replace a 2:2 system with a 2:1 system for performance but because the rear bags have a cutout for the exhaust pipes you buy a "ghost pipe" for the other side.

Beat me to it.

Nothing, however, matches the fakery of the xj250 virago, which has and entirely fake chrome header coming out of the rear cylinder to make it look like it has Harley style exhausts, while the real header is painted black and shamefully exits on the left, joining the muffler under the swingarm.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The BMW GS 650 has a German-rear end system where it's 1 into 2 with a link pipe between the silencers and catalyst duties split between them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone started doing the car thing where there is a servo turning a butterfly valve to block the second exhaust that only opens up under full throttle?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone started doing the car thing where there is a servo turning a butterfly valve to block the second exhaust that only opens up under full throttle?

I don't know about blocking a second exhaust, but everyone and their brother has been doing EXUP valves/servo-controlled flaps on bike exhausts forever

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fireblade got this system with the bullnose shape, it's come and gone on the big literbikes, catalytic converters have made it redundant so it's pretty much vanished again. Triumph d675 and some others run an exup valve but it's entirely for noise emissions purposes.

The panigale v2 famously has a different fuel map if you have the bike in neutral on the side stand with the clutch pulled in, purely for getting the factory pipes past track day scrutineers. In some markets (japan I think) they bodged on a totally conventional cylindrical muffler and it looked hilariously out of place.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
So, about two years ago my husband picked up a beat to hell 2007 klr 650. It's been one thing after another with it. The tank had to be resealed, carburetor cleaned then replaced after cleaning the original one a few times didn't work. Doohickey and (I'm gonna gently caress this up) deep hole? Are done on it. Replaced the ignition cylinder since the original owner lost the key, now the bike won't idle or run without choke and he's ready to just sell it instead of troubleshoot it any more. .

I was debating just paying for someone else to unfuck it and lower it so I can ride it around, but I'm not sure it's worth the money and neither is he. Is it better to keep it or just get rid of it?

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 1, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Bikes are currently getting stupid money because of covid. You could try selling as is and see what you get. I would try to get out running at least do that people know it's not complete junk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So, about two years ago my husband picked up a beat to hell 2007 klr 650. It's been one thing after another with it. The tank had to be resealed, carburetor cleaned then replaced after cleaning the original one a few times didn't work. Doohickey and (I'm gonna gently caress this up) deep hole? Are done on it. Replaced the ignition cylinder since the original owner lost the key, now the bike won't idle or run without choke and he's ready to just sell it instead of troubleshoot it any more. .

I was debating just paying for someone else to unfuck it and lower it so I can ride it around, but I'm not sure it's worth the money and neither is he. Is it better to keep it or just get rid of it?

Everything you've described is trivial stuff for a competent mechanic, you will get far more if it runs and rides at least semi decently so maybe investing in an hour or two of labour aren't a bad idea.

Don't let him diy it if a klr causes this much difficulty, they are an extremely crude motorcycle, not difficult or complicated to work on at all.

As a bike to ride you can do so, so much better.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Taking the above posts into consideration, it may be best to just sell it after getting it running a bit more solidly. My concern is finding a bike of my own. Right now the used market around us is awful, junk ninja 250/300's going for 1500 and running ones going for 2k. Hence why I was debating just having the KLR fixed up and going with that. I'd debated looking into the versys 300 or the 390 adventure, or a z400, though I've only test rode the z400. A very stupid part of my brain wants to pick up a himalayan though.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Himalayan is one bike that is a strictly worse choice than the KLR. Designed to compete with it, yet possessing none of the dead simple reliability.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Someone had one (a himalayan) in these threads and the whole story was the epitome of a cautionary tale. Bought it brand new from a dealer and it got trailered back to them several times. It was ultimately not a good machine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Taking the above posts into consideration, it may be best to just sell it after getting it running a bit more solidly. My concern is finding a bike of my own. Right now the used market around us is awful, junk ninja 250/300's going for 1500 and running ones going for 2k. Hence why I was debating just having the KLR fixed up and going with that. I'd debated looking into the versys 300 or the 390 adventure, or a z400, though I've only test rode the z400. A very stupid part of my brain wants to pick up a himalayan though.

390, himalayan are both terrible, idk which is more terrible as I haven't got access to the stats but it's a close run thing anecdotally! Versys 300 is good, z400 is good. Consider a dr650, which is like the klr only a whole cathedral lighter and also three times as good in every other way.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

390, himalayan are both terrible, idk which is more terrible as I haven't got access to the stats but it's a close run thing anecdotally! Versys 300 is good, z400 is good. Consider a dr650, which is like the klr only a whole cathedral lighter and also three times as good in every other way.

Unfortunately I'm too short in the leg to really consider the dr650 without lowering it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
DR650 can be factory lowered an inch.

gently caress a klr. Don't do the 390 or the royal paintshaker.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Unfortunately I'm too short in the leg to really consider the dr650 without lowering it.

this is silly. can you get a single leg down? if so, you're golden

I'm 6' with a short (30") inseam. the 1290 is hilariously tall and I manage to wrangle it on trails just fine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is no reason to get a klr in any part of the world where you can also get a DR650

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is no reason to get a klr in any part of the world where you can also get a DR650

Back in the dark ages before internet discussion forums, the conventional wisdom was the KLR had better on-road manners, whereas the DR was better off road. With that in mind, you were advised to get the one better suited to where you'd mostly be riding. Maybe such notions are laughably anachronistic these days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Back in the dark ages before internet discussion forums, the conventional wisdom was the KLR had better on-road manners, whereas the DR was better off road. With that in mind, you were advised to get the one better suited to where you'd mostly be riding. Maybe such notions are laughably anachronistic these days.

This is a massive lie and totally untrue, I guess in those days the ADV rider dudes were young. The DR is drastically better on any surface because it isn't built from repurposed radiation shields and castle portculli. I imagine some water vs air cooled third-hand wives tales helped with the notion, but I refuse to believe anyone who's ridden both bikes in any circumstance would have much if anything positive to say about the KLR.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is a massive lie and totally untrue, I guess in those days the ADV rider dudes were young. The DR is drastically better on any surface because it isn't built from repurposed radiation shields and castle portculli. I imagine some water vs air cooled third-hand wives tales helped with the notion, but I refuse to believe anyone who's ridden both bikes in any circumstance would have much if anything positive to say about the KLR.

I'll be honest, they put me off getting a DR when I was younger. I thought the DR was a pretty rad bike, but the it's going to suck for anything but fire roads attitude was so pervasive it put me off. And even as a no-nothing 20-something, I knew the KLR was a garbage bike so I got something completely stupid and unsuitable instead and promptly crashed it in a ditch. Could have rode out of the ditch if I had a DR.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've owned a klr and my husband had a dr.

DR > KLR. Everytime.
I killed a klr and did the world a service. The only thing a klr can do is work without a single flying gently caress ever given about the thing. Changing its oil ever is being too kind to the thing. Its the bike to get if you don't care about riding, don't care about fixing it, don't care about what oil, gas, or tires it needs. The only reason a klr is acceptable is that it'll get you to wherever the hell it is you want to go, albit miserably.

They are utter poo poo bikes on road and off. its frame will flex and noodle if pushed in the twisties. It'll flat loving break in half if you jump it. If the frame doesn't crack in two from jumping it, the footpegs will just tear out of the frame, slamming the seat into your taint at a significant fraction of C. The suspension is filled with the cheapest flatistan corn based cooking oil that there is, with little that can be done to make it not suck. The powerplant's highest tech feature is watercooling. the gen1s didn't even have a revlimiter. The gen2s might as well not come with piston rings, they'd burn less oil. At least they got a revlimiter.

I bought one because I was at a low point in my life with 2 broken cars and 3 broken bikes. I hosed all that poo poo off for the pinnacle of boring. And I fuckin' murdered it. There are much better boring bikes out there.

A dr will do it with less weight, more character, a better frame, suspension, engine, ergos, for similar maintenance requirements. Its the bike to buy if you want to go somewhere and maybe enjoy the ride as well without any of the hassles of owning a high strung bike.
The footpegs can't be torn out of the frame, there's none of this vague-rear end noodle feeling pushing one through corners. The suspension is still soviet era but less soviet than the corn oil that's in the klr, at least the shock has a reservoir. The 5 speed is a little wheezy. whatever, take a spare set of 3rd gears, flip em, swap with 5th. You can also do a valvecheck on one in a gas station parking lot in about 15 minutes.

Oh and there's a 790 kit which is kinda cool. Its on par with a warmed over drz.

I do not like suzuki. Buy a dr650. I would buy another if I had to go long distances without proper tools to maintain the thing. I will never own another klr.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’m going to buck the trend of all the negativity here and say that I really like my KLR, it’s a motorcycle and thus fun by definition, and this:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is still a profoundly true statement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awww yeah that's the stuff. That noodle bending feeling in the turns is contributed to by the forks and axle being criminally skinny and flexible for a road bike that heavy, let alone fucken dirt. They aren't just regular crap, they are totally not fit for purpose. I've had one incredibly misguided soul pay me to attemp a fix - springs, valves and oil later and it barely changed anything, to the point of me having to pop a fork cap to prove I did the job. And it isn't like it has one or two weak areas that you address and get an awesom bike, like the DR/drz. Every single part is not up to the job or just good enough, engine reliability is like the only good thing about them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Awww yeah that's the stuff. That noodle bending feeling in the turns is contributed to by the forks and axle being criminally skinny and flexible for a road bike that heavy, let alone fucken dirt. They aren't just regular crap, they are totally not fit for purpose. I've had one incredibly misguided soul pay me to attemp a fix - springs, valves and oil later and it barely changed anything, to the point of me having to pop a fork cap to prove I did the job. And it isn't like it has one or two weak areas that you address and get an awesom bike, like the DR/drz. Every single part is not up to the job or just good enough, engine reliability is like the only good thing about them.

A friend of mine bought a brand new 17' model after I tried to steer him to other bikes. He countersteered right back to those turds He's done all the progressive spring/revalve/emulator poo poo in the forks, some big metal brace on the lower stanchions to shore it up, some aftermarket shock. its...not much better? I rode it before the shock upgrade in the before times. Its still a klr and still a huge noodle and harlem shakes and rattles like a 90s chevrolet work truck on washboard roads. There's all this crash armor and metal boxes on it, its even more ungainly heavy and under powered than they normally are. He's ridden my shitbox 950 and completely gets why I tried to push him elsewhere now. Not that a ktm is right for this person, or any normal person for that matter.

His wife let him have any new bike he wanted and he picked a klr. She won't let him have another.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

cursedshitbox posted:

His wife let him have any new bike he wanted and he picked a klr. She won't let him have another.

loving brutal

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

The good wife.

Your post describes basically every long term klr owner. Everyone either gets sick of it and gets a good bike, or spends thousands of dollars and years of their life in a tragic stockholm loop of turd polishing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The good wife.

Your post describes basically every long term klr owner. Everyone either gets sick of it and gets a good bike, or spends thousands of dollars and years of their life in a tragic stockholm loop of turd polishing.

....then park it for a couple of years. Dude finally picked the bike back up this year after parking it for the last two.

I'm glad mine got taken out. I was over the thing pretty fast.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gonna reveal some massive mechanical ignorance here, but I've got a couple of problems with the CT110 and a real dumb question.

Start with the real dumb question: Is it normal to have a continuous low pressure flow of exhaust-smelling air from the crankcase breather hose?

Problem 1: It's been dripping oil. I washed and scrubbed it today and found the leak - it's the cam chain tensioner adjustment bolt (the one on the side, a locknut around a flat slotted screw). Proposed solution: New o-ring. Questions: Is there anything else I can do to it that might stop it leaking? Is it worth doing the adjustment procedure to see what happens?

Problem 2: Bike sometimes idles very low and then stalls. Seems to happen randomly. Winding the idle adjustment clockwise even like an eighth of a turn makes it rev very high. Winding it back in what feels like a smaller amount kills the bike immediately. Both times I've hosed with it, it takes a couple of minutes of making minute tiny adjustments until it's sitting just right. I'm lost on this one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pressure out of the breather is normal.

1. The o-ring is probably what's leaking, it's probably old and brittle and adjusting disturbed it. If you're hunting for leaks, degrease and dry the engine then run it till it gets hot, don't ride the bike just look for the snail trail.

2. Your pilot screw is blocked and/or your pilot mixture is out. Check pilot screw setting, report back.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I'm definitely being sold on the DR 650. How are they on long rides?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

KLR is significantly cheaper.

CSB's use case is pretty serious compared to what most folks are going to do. If you just want to ride around on back roads for super cheap, the KLR is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

If you just want to ride around on back roads for super cheap, the KLR is just fine.

This statement is OK for someone who has owned/ridden other bikes and knows what to expect, but letting someone buy a KLR for a first bike (like the dude in CSB's story) is just sadistic. It's on par with letting someone with no mechanical experience buy a beater UJM that's been rotting in a shed for 40 years as their first bike. They'll get so frustrated with the bike they're liable to think motorcycling in general is pain.