Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reco might be better just given how amazing some of the new footage is looking, and how little will actually be getting cut given the similar run times.

Amazing if it does, it might supplant MSG for second spot on the tier list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/kill_Warriors2/status/1642009668804567042?t=atCZiPmvS6lXBlavHtjUbw&s=19

I know this isnt technically an April Fools, just fanart, but this is one I wouldn't mind seeing. Ride going all Hathaway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/kill_Warriors2/status/1642009668804567042?t=atCZiPmvS6lXBlavHtjUbw&s=19

I know this isnt technically an April Fools, just fanart, but this is one I wouldn't mind seeing. Ride going all Hathaway.

I like the art too, but the bit about Ride getting the band back together doesn't fit well with the ending. It's important to the character of his little band that they're the ones who couldn't move on in a world that mostly did. It's a balance between the most bitter, pointless revenge, and the last knight virtue of your Marlowes and your Mellowlinks, where the common point is that nobody cares any more.

"Yeah. Nobody cares but me."

If Ride can get Tekkadan together, then it both undermines the happy ending for most of the cast and undermines Ride's role as protagonist this time. If he's having to build from scratch (with Almira's resources), it lets it be much more his own story

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ride and Tekkadan coming back together to get revenge would be horrible and totally ruin IBO's good ending. The purpose of Ride in the ending is that while things did work out well for most of the Tekkadan survivors, obviously it didn't for all of them. I think there's a decently interesting story to be told in the vein of Hathaway of Ride running around being a terrorist in a world that moved on without him, but it absolutely doesn't work with anyone else taking his side.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i could see ride pulling a few tekkadan members with him and some others giving him quick favors/assistance that doesn't involve being directly involved in his terrorist plots, but yeah "let's get the gang back together" is kind of the opposite of what's going on at the end of ibo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The gang should only get back together to say "its fine you do you, but we are good farmin and poo poo"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The gang should only get back together to say "its fine you do you, but we are good farmin and poo poo"

"It's really sad that Orga, Mika, and Akihiro died and all, but it turns out that I really enjoy having a life that isn't an infinite series of increasingly risky suicide missions."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Historically Veterans could be a massive political problem that needed to either be dealt with, or monitored. If you've got a professional and skilled set of people whom have already shown a willingness to die for a charismatic leader then you're only one leader coming into his own away from another massive cluster gently caress.

It would totally destroy the ending of the story though, which is why Sunrise is probably already greenlighted it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I just remembered the one dude from X who was in a perpetual state of looking off-model and lolled a bit

EDIT: this guy
https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Shingo_Mori

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Historically Veterans could be a massive political problem that needed to either be dealt with, or monitored. If you've got a professional and skilled set of people whom have already shown a willingness to die for a charismatic leader then you're only one leader coming into his own away from another massive cluster gently caress.

It would totally destroy the ending of the story though, which is why Sunrise is probably already greenlighted it.

Good thing Ride isn't a charismatic leader. Unless... oh no.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And he will be known as Lafty Naze Ein

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

And he will be known as Lafty Naze Ein

Sounds like this Lafty has too much time on his hands.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone ever done one of those "characters done in a different art style" collages for the IBO cast? I might be alone on this but of all the Gundam shows I've watched IBO is the only one where I've looked at the character designs and felt they're kind of ugly. It's something about the big eyes that feel like they should be on different style of face design.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arc Hammer posted:

Has anyone ever done one of those "characters done in a different art style" collages for the IBO cast? I might be alone on this but of all the Gundam shows I've watched IBO is the only one where I've looked at the character designs and felt they're kind of ugly. It's something about the big eyes that feel like they should be on different style of face design.

How did you feel about the Seed designs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

grassy gnoll posted:

How did you feel about the Seed designs?

The originals aren't bad, but very dated early 2000s designs. The HD remaster designs are glassy eyed ghouls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not on topic, exactly, but with MSB getting around to 0083, I figured I finally should as well, and yeah. It's talked about how pretty this show is, and how absurd the close is, but man.

It's not talked about enough how 0083 opens strong. I liked the first episode well enough, but the second leads on from it with strong characterization, good action, and a setup that promises some of the best Gundam there is.

Kou's actually interesting so far. Sure, his beats are borrowed from Amuro to an extent (mech nerd, in over his head, stole a Gundam) but the context changes things enough to not feel like a repeat. Kou is a regular soldier in a proper military, and that makes for different arc already. Kou isn't the last hope one man army. He's a cog in the machine, and one that isn't able to save the day on his own. He

And there are so many strong moments! Everyone talks about "I'm the enemy, you idiot!", but there's also Nina's guts fighting her lack of experience in combat, there's Keith's "We were finally in a real fight, huh?" nervous laughter leading into his his terror as he first experiences real combat, Allen's questionably good natured ribbing establishing him enough for us to care when he dies, Burning being dismissed by the other squad right before their deaths, the way Keith bringing up the textbook further sharpens the divide between the "real" soldiers of Zeon and Burning on the one end, and the academy kids Kou and Keith on the other, the ways Gato's kind of a pretentious rear end while also showing some nobility (his gritted teeth when leaving one of his own behind is a great little beat)

I'm not sure how it'll hold up for me, but dang. I can see why so many people hold 0083 as a favorite now other than looks and rad fights. If it can stay up here, then... well, I doubt it will, with how people talk. No point in putting too much hope on something liable to disappoint me.

Actually feeling glad I put this one off for so long. It's nice to have something relatively quick and entertaining left in the Gundam roster in addition to the long shows.

(Ignoring the SDs, I've got ZZ, Victory, Wing, X, Build Fighters, Try, and the back half of Divers to go for the "haven't watched at all" category after this.

If we're counting movies separately, then there's also the G-Reco, 00, Zeta, Turn A, and IBO special editions to worry about for abridged, and SEED, Destiny, and AGE to watch in full, but going through SEED Destiny once was bad enough. Doing it again, but slower and with more stock footage doesn't strike me as doing much productive.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Stardust's animation quality never really drops off. From a visual standpoint, it's pretty consistently amazing from beginning to end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Stardust's animation quality never really drops off. From a visual standpoint, it's pretty consistently amazing from beginning to end.

That, at least, I wasn't worried about. Still, good to know.

Speaking of things falling apart, Gundam Breaker Mobile is ending in June. Nearly lasted four years, which is a decent enough lifespan for a mobile game. It got a short anime, ten model kits, and a mass produced action figure for the lead Gundam. Even managed to finish the plot a few months back, with the protagonist winning the big national tournament, followed by a date with the main girl.

Still, even if it was a money grubbing gacha with as good an end as you can expect to get for these things, I'll be a bit sorry to see it go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm unreasonably bitter about Gundam Breaker Mobile existing because it's the last remaining vestige of one of my favorite game franchises ever that was torpedoed entirely through idiot corporate decisions. It's like the guy who got hit by toxic waste in Robocop - technically still alive, but probably better off not being so.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

I'm unreasonably bitter about Gundam Breaker Mobile existing because it's the last remaining vestige of one of my favorite game franchises ever that was torpedoed entirely through idiot corporate decisions. It's like the guy who got hit by toxic waste in Robocop - technically still alive, but probably better off not being so.

Every so often I go to steam, look at New Gundam Breaker and then just sigh and don't get it because it's just not worth it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Every so often I go to steam, look at New Gundam Breaker and then just sigh and don't get it because it's just not worth it.

Seriously. Gundam Breaker was a franchise that was getting bigger in scope, more polished, and more successful with every entry, so after their biggest and most successful entry in the franchise yet...they decided the best direction for the franchise from there was to make a cash-in mobile game using reused assets from the previous games and a new "main line" game from completely different devs with completely different(and much worse!) gameplay revolving around questionable PvP in a franchise that had been entirely PvE.

Gee willikers, I wonder why this didn't succeed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That, at least, I wasn't worried about. Still, good to know.

Speaking of things falling apart, Gundam Breaker Mobile is ending in June. Nearly lasted four years, which is a decent enough lifespan for a mobile game. It got a short anime, ten model kits, and a mass produced action figure for the lead Gundam. Even managed to finish the plot a few months back, with the protagonist winning the big national tournament, followed by a date with the main girl.

Still, even if it was a money grubbing gacha with as good an end as you can expect to get for these things, I'll be a bit sorry to see it go.

I enjoyed GBM enough to spend unreasonable amounts of money on it during the pandemic. I have fond memories of it, and it probably contributed to me jumping back into the gunpla hobby this year. I haven't played it in a while since I lost my iPad and couldn't get used to playing it on my phone again, but I might get on during the wind-down period for old time sake.

Gundam games in general just feel kinda cursed for me at this point. I get that GBO2 is in "network test" on Steam, but we've had three of these. This is the first one I've been a part of, and I just don't see this surviving Bandai's greed for fast cash. I'm honestly surprised they made it to 3 tests without shoving it out the door for a quick buck.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This is only the second real network test, despite being technically the third announced one. The very first one they did was completely nonfunctional and had to be cancelled immediately because literally nobody could log in and they couldn't fix it, and they had to put the game on the backburner for almost a year.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

This is only the second real network test. The first one was completely nonfunctional and had to be cancelled immediately because literally nobody could log in and they couldn't fix it.

I'm giving it a number because a failed test is still a test.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Also GBO2 is a very long running semi-successful game(in its niche). The PC release is functionally just a port. If you want a successful Gundam game, the console release is there!

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 5, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GundamBattleGW/status/1643530522700967936?t=aur5TjWJCiZ-LQEgZfKOkw&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Seriously. Gundam Breaker was a franchise that was getting bigger in scope, more polished, and more successful with every entry, so after their biggest and most successful entry in the franchise yet...they decided the best direction for the franchise from there was to make a cash-in mobile game using reused assets from the previous games and a new "main line" game from completely different devs with completely different(and much worse!) gameplay revolving around questionable PvP in a franchise that had been entirely PvE.

Gee willikers, I wonder why this didn't succeed.

Gundam VS is about the only consistently successful series and that one has made some bad missteps too. They gave up on Battle and Musou years ago.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

they keep loving up gundam games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam Evolution if managed properly could've easily been as big as Paladins, especially since it had the great timing of coming out before Overwatch 2 and basically all the biggest streamers played it for maximum visibility.

But they just had godawful updates and slow at it too that it floundered to like 3 digit player base.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Four paid unlockable characters right off the bat wasn't a good look either

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Gundam Evolution if managed properly could've easily been as big as Paladins, especially since it had the great timing of coming out before Overwatch 2 and basically all the biggest streamers played it for maximum visibility.

But they just had godawful updates and slow at it too that it floundered to like 3 digit player base.

I don’t actually think this was ever going to be possible for Gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd really like to see just a big scale Gundam game that's essentially its own AU. Make it a bit more approachable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd really like to see just a big scale Gundam game that's essentially its own AU. Make it a bit more approachable.

That was the original plan for AGE and kinda describes MS Saga New Dawn. Neither was great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean obviously we wouldn't put it in the hands of late 2000s Level 5

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New Dawn shouldn't be stuck with AGE in a sentence. While it's also objectively Not Great, it's in the non derogatory sense where AGE not great is in the "Not Great, Bob!" sense of ungreatness.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

New Dawn shouldn't be stuck with AGE in a sentence. While it's also objectively Not Great, it's in the non derogatory sense where AGE not great is in the "Not Great, Bob!" sense of ungreatness.

New Dawn was an aggressively average JRPG with Gundam-flavored customization elements.

AGE is AGE.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Have ArcSys make a Gundam fighter instead of the One Piece one everyone wants them to make

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Midjack posted:

Gundam VS is about the only consistently successful series and that one has made some bad missteps too. They gave up on Battle and Musou years ago.

EXVS is very successful, but it's very successful within a tiny niche box that they adamantly refuse to allow it to leave. They're content to allow it to remain in Japanese arcades until said arcades crumble into dust.

The various games under the SD Gundam umbrella still do okay; both Battle Alliance and Cross Rays did quite decently, and both had functional western ports and PC releases.

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, MS Saga is pretty great. The story is cheesy and the character designs are terrible, but it's an enjoyable experience whereas AGE just loving sucks rear end.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Call me crazy, but a new 2D Battle Assault game would probably do well in the west. I'd wager there's enough nostalgia for it and Big Zam memes to do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warmachine posted:

Call me crazy, but a new 2D Battle Assault game would probably do well in the west. I'd wager there's enough nostalgia for it and Big Zam memes to do well.

Could see them do so if the new Budokai Tenkaichi game does well, after all if one nostalgia bait fighting game does well it might for another