Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

Well, I quite clearly stated that there were legitimate concerns outside of “it isn’t like it was before”. But I would say that the amount of enthusiasm the Orville has received versus Discovery, when that show is unarguably an attempt to recreate TNG (+poo poo jokes) proves that a large contingent do think that way.

I think you're probably right. I think it's at a confluence of a lot of things happening, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I got the impression that what they wanted to do with Michael was set up a redemption arc. You know, the idea is, Michael does something horrible for the sake of expediency at the beginning, and ends up finding herself in a situation under Lorca where she comes to realize just where that sort of thing leads... you know, it starts with killing a prisoner, and ends with S/M water bears. And then she has to find her way back to realizing why Starfleet and Federation values are so important.

I just dont think they pulled it off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

This is why simply sticking STD in the 24th century as some suggest does nothing to solve the show's problems

Not the most important problems, but some of the dumb continuity and SPOCK related ones.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Okay more DS9 watching:

Defiant Now I finally know where that gif comes from!! I like it when Frakes shows up in things.
Fascination I saw the description and was bracing for a horrible love potion episode. But then I got an amazing love potion episode. That was some fine direction from ac-tor Avery Brooks.
Past Tense, Part I and II I know the thread has gone over how accurate this was. How do you think this episode would have been done in Discovery?
Life Support RIP blandest man. I did want to see how far they'd push it, it reminded me of that conversation in Mass Effect where they're debating about the brain dead guy who's being driven by a VI.
Heart of Stone The A-plot was so bad in this. I guess it confirms that Odo's people just make their faces look weird like his to try and make him like them or something, because apparently they can do a perfect Kira. Nog's plot was alright though.
Destiny I really liked this one.
Prophet Motive This one was okay.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Not the most important problems, but some of the dumb continuity and SPOCK related ones.

I can almost guarantee you they would find some way to shoehorn Spock in there regardless of whenever the show is set

Someone paid a lot of money for those focus groups and by god they're going to get their money's worth

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Spock Trek III: the Spock for Spock

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spock Trek: Into Spock

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I was putting together a playlist of moral conundrum/courtroom drama/social issue episodes from each series. Like, the best ones that are self-contained, mostly allegorical little televised plays with food for thought along the lines of "Measure of a Man." Maybe the best ones to hook somebody who is into social issues or ethical debates. Here's what I have so far, feedback welcome:

TOS:
-Balance of Terror
-Arena
-A Taste of Armageddon
-Devil in the Dark
-Let that be Your Last Battlefield

TNG:
-Measure of a Man
-The Drumhead
-Arsenal of Freedom
-Who Watches the Watchers
-The Defector
-The Hunted
-The Offspring
-Devil's Due
-First Contact
-Half a Life
-Darmok
-Ethics
-The Outcast
-I, Borg
-The First Duty
-Quality of Life
-Face of the Enemy
-Rightful Heir

DS9:

-Captive Pursuit
-Dax
-Battle Lines
-Progress
-Duet
-In the Hands of the Prophets
-Cardassians
-Paradise
-Tribunal
-Second Skin
-Life Support
-Hippocratic Oath
-Homefront
-Hard Time
-To the Death
-For the Uniform
-Children of Time
-Rocks and Shoals
-Statistical Probabilities
-Waltz
-Far Beyond the Stars
-In the Pale Moonlight
-It's Only a Paper Moon
-Inter Arma Silen Leges

Voyager:
-Phage
-Ex Post Facto
-Jetrel
-Emanations
-Prototype
-Meld
-Death Wish
-Lifesigns
-Tuvix
-Innocence
-Alter Ego
-Distant Origin
-Nemesis
-Random Thoughts
-Mortal Coil
-Living Witness
-Counterpoint
-Latent Image
-Memorial
-Warhead
-Riddles
-Critical Care
-Flesh and Blood
-Lineage
-Repentance

Enterprise:
-The Andorian Incident
-Dear Doctor
-Shadows of P'Jem
-Detained
-Carbon Creek
-Stigma
-Judgement
-Cogenitor
-The Shipment
-Twilight
-North Star
-Demons/Terra Prime

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think The Enemy (TNG) would fit, but it is pretty heavy in lore even though the specific plot is pretty self-contained.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

womb with a view posted:

Past Tense, Part I and II I know the thread has gone over how accurate this was. How do you think this episode would have been done in Discovery?

Can't believe I missed this but

I genuinely don't believe anybody at the writer/producer level on that show has had the kind of life experience to make them even think of doing a story like Past Tense. The fact that we're hearing more about another mystery box involving Spock and more Section 31 stories shows where their mindset is at, and it's not one conducive to telling stories relevant to the kind of viewers that aren't dumping two grand on replica model starships that were onscreen for all of 12 seconds

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 1, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
For TOS you might want to have Court Martial in there, as the original Trek courtroom drama episode. It’s not very good example of the type, but you have Last Battlefield in there which is a gigantic bore, so whatever.

You should definitely add Conscience of the King, which is not an actual courtroom drama but is chronically underrated and definitely has an ethical dilemma at heart. Honestly more than half of TOS could probably be described as self-contained morality plays though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Spock Trek III: the Spock for Spock

I heard you like Spock so I put Spock in your Trek so you can Spock while you watch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brawnfire posted:

I heard you like Spock so I put Spock in your Trek so you can Spock while you watch

To do otherwise would be illspockical

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

skasion posted:

For TOS you might want to have Court Martial in there, as the original Trek courtroom drama episode. It’s not very good example of the type, but you have Last Battlefield in there which is a gigantic bore, so whatever.

You should definitely add Conscience of the King, which is not an actual courtroom drama but is chronically underrated and definitely has an ethical dilemma at heart. Honestly more than half of TOS could probably be described as self-contained morality plays though.

Oh, yeah, thanks. I don't remember those episodes too well (including Battlefield) so that's why I asked. I'm taking suggestions for ones to strike from the list if they suck and I've just forgotten.

Also forgot about Past Tense, glad the previous poster brought that up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
TNG Chain of Command Part 2 would be good for that list if you can ignore part 1 not really having much in the way of social issues.

Also, TNG The Pegasus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I was putting together a playlist of moral conundrum/courtroom drama/social issue episodes from each series. Like, the best ones that are self-contained, mostly allegorical little televised plays with food for thought along the lines of "Measure of a Man." Maybe the best ones to hook somebody who is into social issues or ethical debates. Here's what I have so far, feedback welcome:

TOS "The Menagerie" meets the criteria.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For TOS you're missing Spock's Brain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

TNG Chain of Command Part 2 would be good for that list if you can ignore part 1 not really having much in the way of social issues.

Also, TNG The Pegasus.

And of course you can't watch The Pegasus without watching These are the Voyages, or you'll never understand Riker's motivation.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Al Borland Korn posted:

And of course you can't watch The Pegasus without watching These are the Voyages, or you'll never understand Riker's motivation.

Nice Halloween avatar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Nice Halloween avatar.

I made the mistake of closing a Nintendo thread for getting too horny

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al Borland Korn posted:

I made the mistake of closing a Nintendo thread for getting too horny

Hell of a sentence to read there, Al.

:stare:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

TOS:
-Balance of Terror
-Arena
-A Taste of Armageddon
-Devil in the Dark
-Let that be Your Last Battlefield

TNG:
-Measure of a Man
-The Drumhead
-Arsenal of Freedom
-The Defector
-The Hunted
-The Offspring
-Devil's Due
-First Contact
-Half a Life
-Darmok
-Ethics
-The Outcast
-I, Borg
-The First Duty
-Quality of Life
-Face of the Enemy
-Rightful Heir

DS9:

-Captive Pursuit
-Dax
-Battle Lines
-Progress
-Duet
-In the Hands of the Prophets
-Cardassians
-Paradise
-Tribunal
-Second Skin
-Life Support
-Hippocratic Oath
-Homefront
-Hard Time
-To the Death
-For the Uniform
-Children of Time
-Rocks and Shoals
-Statistical Probabilities
-Waltz
-Far Beyond the Stars
-In the Pale Moonlight
-It's Only a Paper Moon
-Inter Arma Silen Leges

Voyager:
-Phage
-Ex Post Facto
-Jetrel
-Emanations
-Prototype
-Meld
-Death Wish
-Lifesigns
-Tuvix
-Innocence
-Alter Ego
-Distant Origin
-Nemesis
-Random Thoughts
-Mortal Coil
-Living Witness
-Counterpoint
-Latent Image
-Memorial
-Warhead
-Riddles
-Critical Care
-Flesh and Blood
-Lineage
-Repentance

Enterprise:
-The Andorian Incident
-Dear Doctor
-Shadows of P'Jem
-Detained
-Carbon Creek
-Stigma
-Judgement
-Cogenitor
-The Shipment
-Twilight
-North Star
-Demons/Terra Prime

DISCO:
-S1

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"A Private Little War" (from TOS) is also a good 'moral conundrum' episode that I don't think gets the appreciation it should. I much prefer Kirk's technique of looking at the Prime Directive on a case-by-case basis to the TNG era's fundamentalist adherence to it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know if The City on the Edge of Forever counts as a morality episode, because time travel doesn't actually exist. But I like how it explores the idea that it may be better to just leave the past alone, even if it means saving a good person from an early death (as in this episode) or perhaps getting rid of a bad person early (like fiction that explores going back in time to kill Hitler before the war) because things may well just turn out worse in the end even if you've done a theoretically good deed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know if The City on the Edge of Forever counts as a morality episode, because time travel doesn't actually exist. But I like how it explores the idea that it may be better to just leave the past alone, even if it means saving a good person from an early death (as in this episode) or perhaps getting rid of a bad person early (like fiction that explores going back in time to kill Hitler before the war) because things may well just turn out worse in the end even if you've done a theoretically good deed.
I think the kill-Hitler thing is actually just a stalking horse for "Great Man" vs. "Impersonal economic forces" in terms of historical interpretation. What's interesting is that nobody takes the alternative route of kidnapping the wee baby Hitler. Just take him with you to the future!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lil Hitler will just cause a Third Reich in space before returning to his own time to start the Fifth Reich. Better to just kill him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drink-Mix Man posted:

moral conundrum/courtroom drama/social issue episodes
TNG:
-Measure of a Man
-The Drumhead
-Arsenal of Freedom
-The Defector
-The Hunted
-The Offspring
-Devil's Due
-First Contact
-Half a Life
-Darmok
-Ethics
-The Outcast
-I, Borg
-The First Duty
-Quality of Life
-Face of the Enemy
-Rightful Heir

This was totally TNG's thing, at least during its middle years, so I'd also recommend:

• A Matter of Honor (Not Code of Honor) - Riker trying to do the right thing as both a Starfleet officer and as crewmember of a Klingon ship
  • The Ensigns of Command - A moral conundrum for Data when they were still willing to explore the concept of what he was, good followup from Measure of a Man
  • A Matter of Perspective - Courtroom drama using the holodeck to recreate testimony
  • The High Ground - Addressing terrorism (without quite understanding what constitutes it) while acknowledging the cause of the unrest
  • The Most Toys - See "Ensigns" above, if only for the last few minutes
  • Suddenly Human - Cultural identity and the nature of family
  • The Wounded - Coming to terms with our enemies as people, even after being wronged (a Star Trek theme going all the way back to Balance of Terror)
  • Ensign Ro - Does more with the Bajora(ns) and their identity as an oppressed minority (and the way they are treated) than the entirety of DS9
  • The Masterpiece Society - Enforced utopia and individual vs. group identity (or at least it tries to be)

Probably some more I'll think of later.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

For ENT, I'd consider adding Similitude and Observer Effect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I think the kill-Hitler thing is actually just a stalking horse for "Great Man" vs. "Impersonal economic forces" in terms of historical interpretation. What's interesting is that nobody takes the alternative route of kidnapping the wee baby Hitler. Just take him with you to the future!

That's the evil baby orphanage plan.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Homefront and Paradise Lost two-parter is a moral story about how society deals with terrorism that was made almost 6 years before 9/11. It's better than anything made after.

Discovery's writers and producers would never make an episode like this.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 2, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The timestamp of the explosion at the Antwerp Conference is 5911 -- coincidence???

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tsaedje posted:

The timestamp of the explosion at the Antwerp Conference is 5911 -- coincidence???

Power grid failure was an inside job

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Founders can't melt duranium beams

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I found it a bit odd how the Changeling infiltrator plot just kind of went away around Season 5.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I found it a bit odd how the Changeling infiltrator plot just kind of went away around Season 5.

Isn't that when they figured out how to detect them?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

Two ideas:

1) "leave Hitler in power" is potentially the best case scenario
2) time travel depends on a timeline with Hitler

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Isn't that when they figured out how to detect them?
They know how to find them but it was mainly with blood screenings.

We did see in one episode where one changeling managed to fool the rest of the crew by swapping out the blood during the screening.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sash! posted:

Two ideas:

1) "leave Hitler in power" is potentially the best case scenario
2) time travel depends on a timeline with Hitler

3) by the time time travel is created, no one cares about the hitler question, much like no one ever proposes using a time machine to kill baby Genghis kahn or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"going back in time is a really huge thing, are you sure this warrants it?"

"Well the guy killed millions of Jews in the name of German supremacy"

"What's Jews? And German?"

"They tried to take over Europe!"

"My what?"

"We have to smother fascism in its cradle!"

"Right, we don't want it to get as bad as it's gotten. One more question, what's fascism?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

They know how to find them but it was mainly with blood screenings.

We did see in one episode where one changeling managed to fool the rest of the crew by swapping out the blood during the screening.

There were those things that they took with them to the Klingon party that forces them into a liquid state or something. I don't remember the circumstances of those things but just pretend they put them everywhere.