Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 3D effect is so much better on the New systems that I always play with it on. If more comfortable 3D with head tracking doesn’t seem that interesting to you then I’d just track down a N2DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah I forgot to add that the n2ds feels a little flimsy, I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you but I keep mine in my purse so I wanted a system with less heft.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

PlushCow posted:

I will take another look at ToT but what do you think makes it better than Stardew? I enjoy building up a farm in Harvest Moon type games, so pass on RF4, not big on dungeon crawling.

the writing and the character portraits, really

a lot of the ToT characters are kinda "basic" but they're still decently fleshed out and likable; and there's like 10x more dialogue for everyone; esp. if you're hoping for proposals that are more involved than "oh poo poo i accept!!"

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

dmboogie posted:

the writing and the character portraits, really

a lot of the ToT characters are kinda "basic" but they're still decently fleshed out and likable; and there's like 10x more dialogue for everyone; esp. if you're hoping for proposals that are more involved than "oh poo poo i accept!!"

Thank you for the reply, that does sound pretty good. I watched the trailer for some DLC, do you have it? Like it? I don't care about more romance options but I always liked events and festivals in HM games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PlushCow posted:

I will take another look at ToT but what do you think makes it better than Stardew? I enjoy building up a farm in Harvest Moon type games, so pass on RF4, not big on dungeon crawling.

Honestly most of the systems are more fun, the villagers have way more to say, there are more events.

The game is also a lot easier to read visually.

The DLC is good for the extra festivals and events. Also the single most insane bachelor ever put in a Harvest Moon game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zore posted:

Honestly most of the systems are more fun, the villagers have way more to say, there are more events.

The game is also a lot easier to read visually.

The DLC is good for the extra festivals and events. Also the single most insane bachelor ever put in a Harvest Moon game.

He certainly looks like a unique choice from the trailer :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

Yeah I forgot to add that the n2ds feels a little flimsy, I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you but I keep mine in my purse so I wanted a system with less heft.
I think that, for a hundred bucks and the fact that it includes the charger, the N2DS is the superior choice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not. It's cheaper because it is worse.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Eh I made my Pokeball 2ds my main system. I got one of every one except the launch edition 3ds. Debating which game to finish between Pokemon X and US/UM

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not. It's cheaper because it is worse.

It’s fine if they aren’t going to use 3D. It’s not like it’s a fragile system that’s prone to breaking.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

I have the New 2DS XL and these hinges... well I'm sure they'll survive my use but my use is very light, but I'd be wary about them if I was, say, allowing my nephew to touch it.

EDIT: I mean I guess the damning thing is the hinge's build quality is suspect enough that I'd trust my DSL hinges over the 2DS XL hinges.

It's weird you say that because the hinges on my N3DSXL are noticeably looser (and the top screen more wobbly) than my spouse's N2DSXL, which I can only assume is because it's the same hinge underneath but the 3DS's top screen is significantly heavier

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

After owning, successively, an old 2DS, an old 3DS XL, a smol New 3DS and now a New 2DS XL, the only issue I have with the New 2DS XL is that the battery isn't officially user-replaceable. Otherwise I don't see any meaningful difference in build quality or other things. The speakers are worse, but I prefer using headphones or external speakers anyway, or else keep it so quiet it doesn't matter. And I like the lighter weight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I bought four refurb New 3DS XLs recently and they are awesome. One was DOA and getting that returned has been a bit of a PITA with Nintendo but I'm confident it'll sort itself out over time.

This is my first DS, despite being 38. My last portable Nintendo system was the OG Gameboy with fifty layers of accessories strapped to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TraderStav posted:

I bought four refurb New 3DS XLs recently and they are awesome. One was DOA and getting that returned has been a bit of a PITA with Nintendo but I'm confident it'll sort itself out over time.

This is my first DS, despite being 38. My last portable Nintendo system was the OG Gameboy with fifty layers of accessories strapped to it.

Why'd you buy four of them?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Family?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why'd you buy four of them?

I have three kids and one for me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

baram. posted:

does nintendo ever have n3ds xl batteries in stock anymore? i've been checking the site periodically but haven't seen any in stock in the past month.

alternatively is there a worthwhile replacement?

Curious about this too, my launch New 3DS XL's battery is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ordered a third party New 3DS battery off Amazon and it works just fine.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Detective No. 27 posted:

I ordered a third party New 3DS battery off Amazon and it works just fine.
I finally just bit the bullet and ordered one. I'll let you all know next week whether it blew up or not. :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SeANMcBAY posted:

The 3D effect is so much better on the New systems that I always play with it on. If more comfortable 3D with head tracking doesn’t seem that interesting to you then I’d just track down a N2DS.

Yeah, one of my fave things to do is the bonus stage in Steel Diver where you literally have to sit on a spin around chair to launch torps at incoming battleships with random weather effects. I turn the 3D switch all the way up for that.

I won't play Zelda in 3D unless it's on a Switch though, for me somehow the lower screen refresh rate gives me headaches..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Link Between Worlds is really good in 3D. Stays a solid 60fps with it on too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I played A Link Between Worlds on the N2DS and didn't notice any problems/difficulties from the lack of 3D.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OhFunny posted:

I played A Link Between Worlds on the N2DS and didn't notice any problems/difficulties from the lack of 3D.

I noticed a few moments where 3D would've made it easier to get a grasp on where my character was in relation to platforms and switches

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got my replacement New 3DS XL battery off Amazon marketplace on Monday, so far it seems perfectly fine. I can play 3DS again!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
My 3ds seems to have suddenly stopped working. After charging it all night, the power indicator near the bottom is blue, but the light near the middle hinge blinks orange/red, and then it shuts off, without booting to the main screen or anything.

It's an original model 3DS, anyone happen to know what the issue might be?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does it boot up when plugged in?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Have you tried massaging the power button?

It could just be stuck or have dust inside a connector.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cuntellectual posted:

My 3ds seems to have suddenly stopped working. After charging it all night, the power indicator near the bottom is blue, but the light near the middle hinge blinks orange/red, and then it shuts off, without booting to the main screen or anything.

It's an original model 3DS, anyone happen to know what the issue might be?

If you have anything in the DS cart slot, take it out and try starting it again
If that doesn't work, take out the SD card and try again
Also have you tried starting it while plugged in

If it's turning on for a second then off, as opposed to "not starting at all", that's either "something got corrupted in the boot process and it's shutting off" or "the battery is so dead that it reports as full but can't actually hold a charge"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried all of them and it starts when plugged, but dies immediately if I unplug it so I guess the battery is so dead that it reports as full but can't actually hold a charge.

It's an original model 3ds so I guess I can't get it fixed or anything. Too bad it's only.... how many years old?! :stare:

Still sucks. :(

e: I guess mobile ball being cancelled means all 3ds need to die with it, like being buried in an egyptian tomb.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can just try buying a new battery? They’re not that expensive.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can just try buying a new battery? They’re not that expensive.

Oh, I assumed they didn't sell the original model one anymore. I'll check that out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cuntellectual posted:

Oh, I assumed they didn't sell the original model one anymore. I'll check that out.

They actually reused one of the models of 3DS’s batteries for the Switch Pro controller, but even if they didn’t you can to this day still get good quality 3rd party GBA SP batteries. Nintendo handheld consoles have a loooooooong tail of support from 3rd parties thanks to how popular they are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gonna play Trauma Center

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That bomb disposal operation is bullshit. There's no way to "un-suction" something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm on the worm level, thinking about telling this game to go gently caress itself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I abandoned Trauma Center, and have started Jake Hunter.

Jake Hunter is good. It's not quite Phoenix Wright, because so far at least there doesn't seem to be anyway at all to fail.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lol when Game Grumps make it further into a game than you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I abandoned Trauma Center, and have started Jake Hunter.

Jake Hunter is good. It's not quite Phoenix Wright, because so far at least there doesn't seem to be anyway at all to fail.

Which version of Jake Hunter did you get?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

Lol when Game Grumps make it further into a game than you

Stopping playing a game when it is no longer fun instead of trying a single level you are no longer enjoying over and over again until you make it is the correct way to play games, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which version of Jake Hunter did you get?

Jake Hunter Detective Story Ghost of the Dusk