Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

He became a true newtype and can go beyond the time at will.

He doesn't tell anyone because lmao at giving anyone in the UC that kind of power. I mean, just look at them. They've got a lot of learning to do. (Which is literally Amuro's thesis in CCA, so it would absolutely be in character for him to have a full Newtype apotheosis ala Banagher or Kamille, then just stay mum about it because people aren't ready for that yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Maybe it was a spiritual projection or some newtype bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to think Amuro was ready and willing to help guide any young new types whom needed guidance. And then he saw banana and thought "gently caress that poo poo" and slipped off to the next plane.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Obviously Amuro became the golf coach at an elite academy in Japan

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, I need some help identifying if a thing really is a Gundam Reference or not. In a storyline that's otherwise built pretty much completely out of Gundam references I can identify, Final Fantasy XIV throws in an element that I can't ID, but feels close enough that I believe it could be; this feels like something a Gundam story would've done.

Specifically, that thing is a system in a giant robot that basically hands the controls to a psuedo-AI recording of another soldier. In XIV it hijacks and breaks the physical pilot's brain, but I don't know if that's part of the thing they're maybe-referencing. Does that ring a bell anywhere?

I do want to note, though: it's not the Alana-Vijnaya system from IBO, it's not the other soldier's actual brain, it is actually a recording. So we can rule that one out. ('Turns out another pilot's brain is wired into this mech' is the reveal for an entirely different thing in the same story.)

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I need some help identifying if a thing really is a Gundam Reference or not. In a storyline that's otherwise built pretty much completely out of Gundam references I can identify, Final Fantasy XIV throws in an element that I can't ID, but feels close enough that I believe it could be; this feels like something a Gundam story would've done.

Specifically, that thing is a system in a giant robot that basically hands the controls to a psuedo-AI recording of another soldier. In XIV it hijacks and breaks the physical pilot's brain, but I don't know if that's part of the thing they're maybe-referencing. Does that ring a bell anywhere?

I do want to note, though: it's not the Alana-Vijnaya system from IBO, it's not the other soldier's actual brain, it is actually a recording. So we can rule that one out. ('Turns out another pilot's brain is wired into this mech' is the reveal for an entirely different thing in the same story.)

That was a thing in Front Mission 1, they were making mech onboard computers out of dead soldiers minds. And it also happens to be a Squaresoft game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

While the Weapon storyline did have some significant Gundam elements, I believe the gnarly body-horror elements were more directly influenced by Neon Genesis Evangelion (where the protagonists are piloting/riding gigantic pseudo-angelic flesh-mecha animated by the ghosts of their dead mothers).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

While the Weapon storyline did have some significant Gundam elements, I believe the gnarly body-horror elements were more directly influenced by Neon Genesis Evangelion (where the protagonists are piloting/riding gigantic pseudo-angelic flesh-mecha animated by the ghosts of their dead mothers).

Well, two of them are.

The third protagonist might be piloting a flesh mecha piloted by the ghost of herself. Rei Ayanami is... complicated.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

she is* also one* of the aforementioned moms*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't mention the body-horror elements at all actually, but in connection to that I don't think it's a big player at all. After a point Eva's always in the room when talking about mecha stories, just because it was so influential, but I don't see it in anything beyond the visuals of exactly one enemy: the second form of Ruby Weapon.

And even that I don't think is an Eva Reference, so much as a G Gundam reference that's wearing Eva cosplay. The actual structure of the boss, as well as the nature of what happens to cause that phase, is bang-on Devil Gundam. It just happens to ALSO be a big, white, psychosexual gooey lady.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I didn't mention the body-horror elements at all actually, but in connection to that I don't think it's a big player at all. After a point Eva's always in the room when talking about mecha stories, just because it was so influential, but I don't see it in anything beyond the visuals of exactly one enemy: the second form of Ruby Weapon.

And even that I don't think is an Eva Reference, so much as a G Gundam reference that's wearing Eva cosplay. The actual structure of the boss, as well as the nature of what happens to cause that phase, is bang-on Devil Gundam. It just happens to ALSO be a big, white, psychosexual gooey lady.

The actual mechanics of the Oversoul system, though (an implanted soul in a crystalline core that can take control, physically mutate the 'mecha', and absorb the pilot) seem to be dead-on for Eva. Most of the Weapons are basically Evangelions dressed up as knock-off Quin-Manthas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Darth Walrus posted:

The actual mechanics of the Oversoul system, though (an implanted soul in a crystalline core that can take control, physically mutate the 'mecha', and absorb the pilot) seem to be dead-on for Eva. Most of the Weapons are basically Evangelions dressed up as knock-off Quin-Manthas.

Actually the Weapons look like that because of FF7 itself. They were supposed to look like that kinda chitinous biohorror in VII since they're essentially the planet itself freaking out and making defenses, it's just that the original VII had a budget of approximately twelve polygons and half a texture for each enemy model, so in the original game it only really comes through in the FMVs. It's extremely clear in the times when they get to revisit those designs in figures and the like.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

sounds like the EXAM system to me

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The oversoul system in XIV is basically a combo of the EXAM system from gundam blue destiny and evangelion’s body horror elements, and the WEAPONs have always been gundam references, although the particular MS referenced by each WEAPON are different between VII and XIV. (Iirc - in VII it’s ruby-hygogg, sapphire - alpha azieru, emerald-neue ziel, diamond-qubeley, whereas in XIV it’s ruby-sazabi, emerald-qubeley, diamond-Virtue, with Sapphire still being the azieru but adding the dimension that you’re fighting it while piloting a mashup of the Nu and Exia that looks like the king gainer)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

might be worth checking out the wiki for the pale rider, HADES (built off of EXAM) miiiiight be a closer fit?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cleretic posted:

Something very similar to this happens in 86, which is not a Gundam show but is excellent and you should watch it.

If you're interested in strictly Gundam, that's pretty much EXAM from Blue Destiny. EXAM is "we downloaded a newtype's brain into a computer and can now make multiple copies of it to give other mobile suits newtype-like super modes, but the activation is incredibly taxing/dangerous and fucks up the pilot's head badly in various ways".

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of references in Gundam to the tech Oversoul is based on, but none are a perfect fit because of setting differences and authorial choices. The closest is EXAM, but none of the Gundam systems do the kind of permanent brain-body override stuff Oversoul does. They are universally taxing on the pilot, with some systems doing permanent damage, but that isn't a hard and fast rule and generally comes down to overuse. And, most importantly, they don't generally kill the pilot. Oversoul is one and done. If you turn it on, that's it, you're one with the machine until the machine expires. The distinction sets it apart from pretty much anything else I'm aware of and puts it closer to various cyberpunk tropes of being turned into a machine and losing your soul in the process.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What was the weird tech from F91 and could the unicorn system also count?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Raffselia tech? That was just using some sort of Psycommu system to control the tendril of the MA. Maybe the Bugs too?

Or the Biocomputer on the F91? Cause I remember that doing nothing at all, and never being mentioned again when the F91 shows up again in Crossbone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Bio-Computer is basically just a piloting assistance system using Newtype tech that lets even a complete rookie like Seabook fly a machine as absurdly high-performance as the F91 like an ace. Just think of it as what lets him face off against a nightmare like the Rafflesia and not get instantly shredded.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The oversoul system in XIV is basically a combo of the EXAM system from gundam blue destiny and evangelion’s body horror elements, and the WEAPONs have always been gundam references, although the particular MS referenced by each WEAPON are different between VII and XIV. (Iirc - in VII it’s ruby-hygogg, sapphire - alpha azieru, emerald-neue ziel, diamond-qubeley, whereas in XIV it’s ruby-sazabi, emerald-qubeley, diamond-Virtue, with Sapphire still being the azieru but adding the dimension that you’re fighting it while piloting a mashup of the Nu and Exia that looks like the king gainer)

XIV Emerald is more Kshatriya mixed with some Queen Mansa and a bit of Neo Zeong for the floating hands IMO. XIV Diamond reminds me of the Psycho Gundam personally, and then it acts like Barbatos wolfing out in its armour shed form.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibblebibble posted:

XIV Emerald is more Kshatriya mixed with some Queen Mansa and a bit of Neo Zeong for the floating hands IMO. XIV Diamond reminds me of the Psycho Gundam personally, and then it acts like Barbatos wolfing out in its armour shed form.

My picks for each Weapon have been, outside of the original VII inspirations (Hygogg, Neue Ziel, Qubeley)...

Ruby: Sazabi and Devil Gundam
Emerald: Kshatriya and Just General Gundam Vibes (the second phase doesn't seem like any specific suit but really drives what they're doing with Gaius), with some lifting back from Neue Ziel for the hands
Diamond: Psycho Gundam for the 'splitter laser', Barbatos Lupus Rex for the unarmored form, the Vidar's version of Alana-Vijnaya for the Overmind system, and after it's been mentioned yeah, the Virtue/Seravee is definitely in there.

Incidentally I kinda like the tracking that while the others have villain suits as their inspirations, Diamond has hero suits. ...well, Barbatos is a bit subjective on that, but you get the idea.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cleretic posted:

My picks for each Weapon have been, outside of the original VII inspirations (Hygogg, Neue Ziel, Qubeley)...

Ruby: Sazabi and Devil Gundam
Emerald: Kshatriya and Just General Gundam Vibes (the second phase doesn't seem like any specific suit but really drives what they're doing with Gaius), with some lifting back from Neue Ziel for the hands
Diamond: Psycho Gundam for the 'splitter laser', Barbatos Lupus Rex for the unarmored form, the Vidar's version of Alana-Vijnaya for the Overmind system, and after it's been mentioned yeah, the Virtue/Seravee is definitely in there.

Incidentally I kinda like the tracking that while the others have villain suits as their inspirations, Diamond has hero suits. ...well, Barbatos is a bit subjective on that, but you get the idea.

Uhh I don't think I would call the Psyco Gundam a hero suit either. Not only was it built by the Titans and used to terrorize the populace of Hong Kong, but it literally makes the pilot crazy and evil.

Four has a face turn, but her suit definitely doesn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Begemot posted:

Uhh I don't think I would call the Psyco Gundam a hero suit either. Not only was it built by the Titans and used to terrorize the populace of Hong Kong, but it literally makes the pilot crazy and evil.

Four has a face turn, but her suit definitely doesn't.

To clarify I didn't mean they were all hero suits (the Vidar definitely ain't squeaky-clean either), just that it's the only one for which hero suits are even in the mix in the first place.

But honestly, even then it's notable that the Psycho and the Vidar aren't straight-up 'villain suits', there's a very clear and deliberate sympathy there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Psycho is absolutely a straight up villain suit. In purpose and design, it's aesthetics are an inversion of the Gundam;RX78 was a heroic suit that represented a future for new types and Psycho is a giant dark suit that uses fake new types and literally drives them insane in its use.

In universe it's used as a terror weapon whereas the 78 Is put on a pedastel as a symbol of Federation resistance and hope after the feddies spent the first half of the war getting their poo poo kicked in; in that capacity it also ends up emblemizing the hope of Newtypes and resistance from oppression, see Zeta and Victory for the most obvious cases of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1646533115027009536?t=_2yPUPrRlfVMca9mHVxjIQ&s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was going to wonder about how specific that record was, then I remembered the hobby sales charts for 2022 putting the Xi above the Aerial (because it was five times as expensive) and then it kind of fell into place. It's the best way to phrase things to get across the achievement without being bogged down in technicalities.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chiasaur11 posted:

(because it was five times as expensive)

... why

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Because big.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Begemot posted:

Because big.

I own a MG that is smaller.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Who'd win in a fight xi Gundam or nightingale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let us not forget the HG Neo Zeong which is literally as large as a toddler

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1/6th scale HG Big Zam when

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The price of an HG kit pretty reliably scales by how much plastic it has in my experience. Kshatriya and Messer are both large, and have consummately higher MSRP. I think there's probably some consideration for complexity in there, but I don't think I've noticed it personally.

And comparing gross sales misses this distinction right? Since if you're just reporting Cost * Number Sold, that doesn't actually reflect how profitable Xi was vs Aerial. And I have a sneaking suspicion success is based on profit for Bandai. At least in part. Does plammo have a loss-leader category? The anime doesn't count--that's your marketing cost.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

1/6th scale HG Big Zam when

Casually storing plammo in my garage.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the interview is referring to number of kits sold rather than money made

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mecha_tho/status/1646566474192912396?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is Masaru Kawaguchi any relation to Meijin Kawaguchi, out of curiosity?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The price of an HG kit pretty reliably scales by how much plastic it has in my experience. Kshatriya and Messer are both large, and have consummately higher MSRP. I think there's probably some consideration for complexity in there, but I don't think I've noticed it personally.

And comparing gross sales misses this distinction right? Since if you're just reporting Cost * Number Sold, that doesn't actually reflect how profitable Xi was vs Aerial. And I have a sneaking suspicion success is based on profit for Bandai. At least in part. Does plammo have a loss-leader category? The anime doesn't count--that's your marketing cost.

Casually storing plammo in my garage.

i think if aerial sold a massive quantity of kits that indicates that there's many different people who are fans and will buy the merch, so while the kit itself may nto ahve been as profitable as a predictor for future profitability of gwitch related merch it's probably a much stronger datapoint than an expensive product that sold 1/4th the quantity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Is Masaru Kawaguchi any relation to Meijin Kawaguchi, out of curiosity?

I didn't comment on this, but the first thing that popped into my head was, "Oh so that's where they got the name." Couldn't say one way or another on the truth of it, but that's my kneejerk reaction.

ninjewtsu posted:

i think if aerial sold a massive quantity of kits that indicates that there's many different people who are fans and will buy the merch, so while the kit itself may nto ahve been as profitable as a predictor for future profitability of gwitch related merch it's probably a much stronger datapoint than an expensive product that sold 1/4th the quantity

Sure, but I'm also making the potentially remedial point that profitability is what matters to a firm under capitalism. Lots of things go into where profitability comes from. As you say, it could be a predictor of selling more gwitch stuff. It could be a low margin item meant to encourage people to buy other gwitch stuff (seems backwards; I figure shirts, mugs, pencil cases, etc would have more appeal for this but that's not my problem).

I don't think there's any question the product is a success, or any question that gwitch is a success by proxy--lots of units selling is basically all upside if the product is profitable in any way. But as a predictor of popularity, it runs into problems since units sold is also a function of price. Using the Xi example, does lack of Xi sales make Hathaway's Flash unpopular? I don't think so at all, because price acts as an exclusionary factor. The more the price deviates from the average for the line, the worse units sold works as a predictor. Aerial fits nicely around that 'average price for an HG' so it actually works. Xi, on the other hand, does not work because it's loving $70 in a line that usually costs $20-$30 and at that point price makes it impossible to compare units sold between, say, Aerial, Xi, Unicorn, Exia, Barbatos, and Strike.

Using Newtype.us' HG catalog, honestly I think the only peer comparison for the Xi is the Phenex gold coating version. Which isn't a great comparison because a non-shiny version of the Phenex exists at half the cost. I think what I wasn't clear about in my original post was that I was objecting to taking Aerial's number of units sold and comparing it to the Xi. Because they're not comparable due to price differences.