Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah I'm a bit of a Denon fanboy but I'm sure Yamaha and Onkyo have good offerings in that price range too...

but I say get a Denon :D

As someone that has a Denon and previously had an Onkyo, I agree.

Although to be fair, all the systems are like 10+ years behind on GUI design. Denon just happens to be the least terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Talking of Denon's...

Crossposting from AVS forums

I brought a 2113 7.1 for my polk's and SVS sub awhile ago and it's been awesome.

However, I can't decide between setting the Denon's subwoofer settings to 80hz crossover @ -9 db, gain on sub's amp set to 10 o'clock, or 40hz crossover @ -3db, same gain level on sub's amp.

Both sound great, but I would love to do BOTH. (The polk's have trouble below 80hz so when the sub is set to 40hz, there's a deadspot in the frequency curve)

If I upgraded to a 2313 7.2 (even though it's discontinued?) and get a second SB1000 can the 2313 set the crossover and db level of the two subs independently of each other?

Unrelated question:
Does using front wide / front heights make it so the rears have to play louder in order to maintain balance so I still feel I'm in the center when playing stereo music over all channels?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Talking of Denon's...

Crossposting from AVS forums

I brought a 2113 7.1 for my polk's and SVS sub awhile ago and it's been awesome.

However, I can't decide between setting the Denon's subwoofer settings to 80hz crossover @ -9 db, gain on sub's amp set to 10 o'clock, or 40hz crossover @ -3db, same gain level on sub's amp.

Both sound great, but I would love to do BOTH. (The polk's have trouble below 80hz so when the sub is set to 40hz, there's a deadspot in the frequency curve)

If I upgraded to a 2313 7.2 (even though it's discontinued?) and get a second SB1000 can the 2313 set the crossover and db level of the two subs independently of each other?

Unrelated question:
Does using front wide / front heights make it so the rears have to play louder in order to maintain balance so I still feel I'm in the center when playing stereo music over all channels?

I'm not sure what you're asking. You should always have your crossover at the midway point between your speaker's -3db and your sub's -3db. There's no reason to change the gain on the sub when you change the crossover (the sub and the speakers should be calibrated to the same volume, as much as possible).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

quote:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I want to run 2 subs at 2 different crossovers. Basically a crossover at 80hz, same volume as bookshelves, then a second crossover at 40hz at slightly higher volume to make up for the fact it can't play 40hz as loud as 80hz so it's still the same volume as the bookshelves.

quote:

You should always have your crossover at the midway point between your speaker's -3db and your sub's -3db.

I know the specs of the polks says -3db @ 61hz but a bookshelf's 61hz vs an SVS SB-1000's 61hz is completely different.

quote:

There's no reason to change the gain on the sub when you change the crossover (the sub and the speakers should be calibrated to the same volume, as much as possible).

I mentioned I have no intention of changing the gain control on the subs amp.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm running a pair of Mackie CR4 monitors in my living room, but the TV's 3.5 jack doesn't have a way to adjust the sound and getting up every time is pretty annoying. I have an optical audio out on my TV too. The Mackies have standard RCA and TRS. I was thinking I could get a pre-amp or perhaps some sort of convertor cable for the digital audio but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get a $25 receiver off craigslist/ebay. You just need something with a remote, right? If you get something from the 90's or 2000's pre-HDMI it should/will be super cheap.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think I'm going to upgrade my Pioneer Andrew Jones F/L/C to the ELAC Andrew Jones speakers.

Because I was reading through AVS.

And now I want them.

Thinking a pair of B6s and the C5 center.

I figure I can get ~150 for my BS22s and center on Craigslist.

One day I'll live in a house and get a subwoofer. One day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade my Pioneer Andrew Jones F/L/C to the ELAC Andrew Jones speakers.

Because I was reading through AVS.

And now I want them.

Thinking a pair of B6s and the C5 center.

I figure I can get ~150 for my BS22s and center on Craigslist.

One day I'll live in a house and get a subwoofer. One day.

Don't buy speakers without listening to them first just because you read about them on a website.

Edit: I guess Magnolia doesn't carry them, and I can't find a physical store that has them. That really sucks. I don't know how anybody is supposed to audition them.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 18, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'll just take it easy on the boxes and if they're not good, do the return on Amazon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'll just take it easy on the boxes and if they're not good, do the return on Amazon.

There's this, too.

http://elac-america.myshopify.com/pages/return-policy

Let us know how they are.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

There's this, too.

http://elac-america.myshopify.com/pages/return-policy

Let us know how they are.

Perfect and will do.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Waiting for the UB5/UF5 -- all the talk around CES sold me.

I've heard the B6 though, and they're pretty awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

KS posted:

Waiting for the UB5/UF5 -- all the talk around CES sold me.

I've heard the B6 though, and they're pretty awesome.

Aren't the UB's supposed to be a bit more expensive?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The UB5s are 4 ohm speakers which can be pretty iffy on most lower-end receivers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Polk Audio sells a "Monitor70 Series II" and a "Monitor Series New Monitor 75T" at basically the same price point.

Anyone have any clue what the significant difference is?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208&cm_re=polk_monitor_70-_-82-290-208-_-Product
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-290-272

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Polk Audio sells a "Monitor70 Series II" and a "Monitor Series New Monitor 75T" at basically the same price point.

Anyone have any clue what the significant difference is?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208&cm_re=polk_monitor_70-_-82-290-208-_-Product
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-290-272

From what I've seen, there is very little difference between the two. I have a pair of the Monitor70 Series IIs and I absolutely love them! Can't really go wrong either way.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kinfolk Jones posted:

From what I've seen, there is very little difference between the two. I have a pair of the Monitor70 Series IIs and I absolutely love them! Can't really go wrong either way.

Appreciate the info! I'll probably go for the cheaper one even though the other is an imaginary $250 off.

I live in a long, skinny townhouse which is about the worst floor plan possible for home theater. I can probably squeeze a pair of floorstanding speakers next to the fireplace, though...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Add a matching center channel on top!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

LmaoTheKid posted:

Add a matching center channel on top!

I really do want to! The problem is that I'll have an AV Receiver, center channel, and Xbox One all up on the mantle. Is there some kind of "storage" solution that works well for mantles? I can't stack anything up there since there's only about 8" clearance below the TV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You could put a shelf above the TV for the center channel and tilt the speaker down with door jams.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Got my B6s and C5 all set up and tuned via Audyssey on my 910W

I only have a 3.0 setup. Remember how I said I want a subwoofer? Yeah, while I'm in this apartment I'm all set. The B6s reach loving DEEP for bookshelves. It's pretty insane how boomy they can get (L/R set to large)

They're way better than the Pioneers at low volume. Much clearer in the mids and highs.

I've never really tried anything super high end but if I ever upgrade these will be reused as rears or heights for sure.

Now I just need to find some small speakers for my rears and I'll be very happy with a 5.0 setup.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 20, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Wow I went on such a journey trying to find a solution to my subwoofer setup idea of using 1 sub as a mid bass and a second as a sub bass. From AVR hdmi out > second AVR hdmi in to weird RCA inline crossovers that I couldn't find a SINGLE good review of, to verious crossover amplifiers for the automotive market...

Turns out all I need is a MiniDSP 2x4 + 2-way Advanced Crossover plugin. :v:

https://www.minidsp.com/support/community-powered-tutorials/201-dual-sub-integration

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Wow I went on such a journey trying to find a solution to my subwoofer setup idea of using 1 sub as a mid bass and a second as a sub bass. From AVR hdmi out > second AVR hdmi in to weird RCA inline crossovers that I couldn't find a SINGLE good review of, to verious crossover amplifiers for the automotive market...

Turns out all I need is a MiniDSP 2x4 + 2-way Advanced Crossover plugin. :v:

https://www.minidsp.com/support/community-powered-tutorials/201-dual-sub-integration

There is a reason nobody does this.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

KillHour posted:

There is a reason nobody does this.

I know mid basses aren't as popular as they used to be, but in order to make the 30hz the same volume as the satalites, the sub has to be turned up, but in doing so the 80hz bass is now too loud.

I guess I could use the minidsp's parametric equalizer and a single sub?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I know mid basses aren't as popular as they used to be, but in order to make the 30hz the same volume as the satalites, the sub has to be turned up, but in doing so the 80hz bass is now too loud.

I guess I could use the minidsp's parametric equalizer and a single sub?

Parametric EQ is the way to do it, yes. That's what Audyssey, et al. does.

Having two of the same subs at different crossovers would sound weird because bass loudness is very dependant on room geometry and sub placement.

You can absolutely (and should) still use two subs. Just have them both at the same crossover.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Am I going to notice any kind of difference in audio quality between the Denon AVR-S710W vs the AVR-S910W?

I bought the former from Best Buy on Sunday and I have 30 days to return it, and I'm seriously debating upgrading to the 910 instead for the additional HDMI inputs and upscaling. Better sound quality would be a bonus.

I'm currently rocking the Pioneer Andrew Jones (something like this), but I'll probably upgrade to something nicer later this year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Variable 5 posted:

Am I going to notice any kind of difference in audio quality between the Denon AVR-S710W vs the AVR-S910W?

I bought the former from Best Buy on Sunday and I have 30 days to return it, and I'm seriously debating upgrading to the 910 instead for the additional HDMI inputs and upscaling. Better sound quality would be a bonus.

I'm currently rocking the Pioneer Andrew Jones (something like this), but I'll probably upgrade to something nicer later this year.

Sound quality will be identical, ignoring that the 910 will be able to go ever so slightly louder (5wpc isn't a big difference).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

(5wpc isn't a big difference).

Odds are that it only exists on the spec sheet, to prop up the more expensive model in relation to the cheaper ones.

Amplifier power ratings in the consumer area are... Weird and unfathomable.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

It's basically the more HDMI ports and upscaling. If one of those is important to you and you don't mind spending the dough, go for it.

If your TV does upscaling, you might just want to use that.

Though you're going to be happier putting that money towards some ELACs...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Odds are that it only exists on the spec sheet, to prop up the more expensive model in relation to the cheaper ones.

Amplifier power ratings in the consumer area are... Weird and unfathomable.

They're this way in the pro audio world, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not nearly as bad, though.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

LmaoTheKid posted:

It's basically the more HDMI ports and upscaling. If one of those is important to you and you don't mind spending the dough, go for it.

If your TV does upscaling, you might just want to use that.

Though you're going to be happier putting that money towards some ELACs...

Good point on the TV. Are the ELACs that much better for the price? I was actually looking at the NHT Absolute 5.1 Surround System but if I can get something comparable for less, I'm game.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I can't speak on that set but I thought the AJ Pioneers to The AJ ELAC would only be incremental and it's not.

They're miles better than the Pioneers and the price is pretty drat incredible.

Highs and mids are much clearer and the bass on the B6s is pretty drat impressive.

I have them hanging off my 910W in a 3.0 setup with the C5 and I'm loving every second of using them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The NHTs are good speakers, they'll be a lot more forgiving as far as placement without a rear-firing port.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I can't speak on that set but I thought the AJ Pioneers to The AJ ELAC would only be incremental and it's not.

They're miles better than the Pioneers and the price is pretty drat incredible.

Highs and mids are much clearer and the bass on the B6s is pretty drat impressive.

I have them hanging off my 910W in a 3.0 setup with the C5 and I'm loving every second of using them.

You're starting to make me think twice about buying your pioneers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

You're starting to make me think twice about buying your pioneers.

Fine with me man. I'm pissed at myself for not going with them in the first place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I want to find someone who has heard both those and the Klipsch R-15m. They're both in the same price range.

I'd be mostly using them to listen to music with a small t-amp, since I'm not dragging my 2.1 system down with me.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yo dudes just need a second opinion. Some of you may remember that I bought this last year Polk Audio PSW505 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000092TT0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_O-p0wbCG1ZHR9 In the past few days that it's has a sort of crackling noise when there's heavy bass. I normally put it at 50% gain so I'm not maxing it out. I've tried multiple inputs to see if that was the issue but no luck.

I'm going to assume there's something wrong with the sub woofer and need to send it in for repairs unless someone has any other ideas.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio Aero 6 floorstanders and a BK XLS200 sub. I'll soon be moving to a new block of flats/apartments with square sitting rooms that are a relatively small14' x 11'; my feeling is that this combination is overpowered for a room that size and that using a sub in a flat is a bit of a dick move anyway.

Would it be sensible to sell the sub and use the funds to buy a matching centre? I mostly watch films, with a bit of gaming and music (but nothing that is bass heavy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I live in a relatively small apartment, and I would never give up my two 12" subs. Depending on the building, the bass may not travel nearly as much as you think.