Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TKIY posted:

My kids school does a 'family learning night' and they get a bunch of different individuals and businesses in to do little 45m lectures or demos and GeeDubs actually showed up for a learn to paint event.

My 11 year old daughter picked it and painted part of her first mini last night:

Probably the first in a long chain of bad decisions. I expect next it will be a crack-based pregnancy.

Could be worse. She could go teach English I Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that's a drat good first paint job

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want it on record that I don't have time to game because I spend my time chasing my kids around, not because I'm working so hard. My posting history should make it clear I don't do nearly enough work.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

My kids school does a 'family learning night' and they get a bunch of different individuals and businesses in to do little 45m lectures or demos and GeeDubs actually showed up for a learn to paint event.

My 11 year old daughter picked it and painted part of her first mini last night:

Probably the first in a long chain of bad decisions. I expect next it will be a crack-based pregnancy.

You've been lied to. Crack will not cause a pregnancy.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

that's a drat good first paint job

We did it together. I did one shoulder and she did the other, etc. She did the 'mud' on the one boot and the eyes though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have plenty of time to game, I just play good games that aren't poo poo :smuggo:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Ilor posted:

I played Infinity last night.

I played it a few nights ago as well! Got in two games in less than four hours so I was pretty satisfied.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm going to play Dropfleet and Bureaunauts tomorrow.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm playing Test of Honor on Sunday.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Flames of War is getting real dumb so I'm looking at Infinity and Dropfleet again.

I didn't actually like Frostgrave when I tried it all that much. It seemed pretty wonky.

My FLGS isn't stocking warpath because mantic are apparently hell to order from and work with.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

Flames of War is getting real dumb
What's going on with it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

berzerkmonkey posted:

What's going on with it?

Stuff I have a personal distaste for? Stuff like the unit cards, nerfing assaults (and really all non-artillery ways of killing dug-in infantry), the wonky morale rules I wasn't insanely keen on from TY... There's a lot of stuff that, alone, I probably would've gone for but together is just too much irritation to really be living with.

Objectively, the rules are like they were typed up the night before submission working from napkin notes where you had loads of great ideas that were definitely top-grade material but you can't quite remember them because you were working at 4am. Blitz move prompts so many questions because it's not very clear how it operates. Building LOS doesn't mention that building walls block LOS (they're listed as Tall terrain earlier and it specifically mentions that you can't see troops on the other side of buildings, though). Snipers hides still give them concealment, bullet proof cover, and gone-to-ground status even when shooting, as always, but the rule that's probably meant to be there that says they can't take normal movement is missing, so presumably they can carry them with them. Relatedly, their gun isn't slow-firing, despite having a new stat line, so it should probably be Slow Firing (which they maybe assumed they didn't need because they assumed the intention was obvious snipers can't move). Assaults, despite being "simplified", now have confusing wiggle about who gets to assault (especially with the new QoQ rules). The way last stand is written it's arguable it never applies.

There's probably loads more stuff I've forgotten. If I needed a recent example of the kind of problems you get when you design internally where everyone knows what you mean already and either don't have or don't listen to playtesters (I wouldn't speculate which), I would absolutely point to V4.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

spectralent posted:

Flames of War is getting real dumb so I'm looking at Infinity and Dropfleet again.

I didn't actually like Frostgrave when I tried it all that much. It seemed pretty wonky.

My FLGS isn't stocking warpath because mantic are apparently hell to order from and work with.

My FLGS basically had to sit Mantic down and explain this to them. Apparently they're better now, but the owner still prefers to go through a distributor instead of ordering direct.

And yeah Frostgrave wasn't my cup of tea.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Bureaunauts

That looks pretty cool! I might spend some of the money I save by not buying GW stuff and the time not spent on raising kids, working and playing Infinity and buy that game.

Frostgrave was a real let down when I realized my Muscle Wizard was really poo poo at the game :(

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Not a viking posted:

and the time not spent on raising kids

You don't know what you're missing, something something.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

You don't know what you're missing, something something.

I meant those two hours every week I don't spend on them 😬

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TKIY posted:

You had one job. ONE JOB. All you had to do was keep her off the pole. And then you let her go ahead and do something like this.

Then again, when my 5-year old expressed an interest in "painting army men," I gave him a Necron and taught him how to dry-brush, so apparently I too am a failed parent.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Tonight my boy picked up one of those drawing boards where you pull the magnetic stylus across the surface and iron filings are dragged up to it. He couldn't stop laughing. Where did I go wrong?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
everywhere

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looking for advice on my WIP chaos lord. His schtick is going to be that his name is"Heretestical", a devotee of slaanesh.

His catchphrase is going to be "SUCKLE MY HERETESTICALS!". I plan on shouting this warcry at my opponents to throw them off.

What should I go for, colorscheme wise? Should I paint his armor to look like a hairy ballsack?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Smoothly shaven obviously, Slaanesh devotees are all about sensation after all

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Smoothly shaven obviously, Slaanesh devotees are all about sensation after all

Maybe when he causes a wound I should also just plainly shout "SUCKLE ME". Pyschological warfare is a real thing, and nothing fucks with somebody like a 36 year old unemployed man demanding that they suckle him.

This is how i'm going to loving win games kiddo. I have the right attitude, now I need a paintscheme to match it.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Skin-tone paint scheme, then varnish. While the varnish is still wet, get some electric clippers and give yourself a good trim, ensuring the trimmings fall over the mini.

Hairy flock armor

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Age of the Emperor is coming

quote:

What happens to my codexes?
The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
FINALLY ITS HAPPENING. MAN THE BATTLE STATIONS.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new "just a conversion" superultramarines, that don't really invalidate your current marines but really they do and you need to replace all yours with them if you want anyone to actually play you at the store

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

NTRabbit posted:

The new "just a conversion" superultramarines, that don't really invalidate your current marines but really they do and you need to replace all yours with them if you want anyone to actually play you at the store

Haha, no way.

Had a friend the other day tell me that it was just an incredibly intricate and well made conversion piece. But I definitely don't ever recall seeing marines like the ones in these pictures.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ijyt posted:

Wait and see, I guess.

Yeah it's only a few weeks out now and the changes might actually be promising.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milky Moor posted:

Haha, no way.

Had a friend the other day tell me that it was just an incredibly intricate and well made conversion piece. But I definitely don't ever recall seeing marines like the ones in these pictures.

The photo that made the rounds was a conversion piece. It doesn't look anything like these.

These look like new marine models to me (and size-wise similar to the Deathwatch marines released last year, but it's hard to tell without seeing them next to a current model). They're even being painted as part of an existing faction (and not a "whole new faction of sigmarmarines).

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah it's only a few weeks out now and the changes might actually be promising.

This is my take on it. Moving to the AoS rule system with regular updates is a big step up for GW

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

https://warhammer40000.com/home/news/

quote:

this edition represents a fresh start.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

To be totally fair Third Edition was a similar break where all existing books and several models and entire armies were invalidated. Hell it's where we get the term squatting from. It was also one of the better editions of the game.

Now it's easy to say that GW had a lot more talent working for them at the time and you can point to names like Andy Chambers where that's impossible today. But at the same time I think I heard that GW stopped putting names on things because weirdos on the internet got creepy and violent. So just maybe everything won't be terrible.

But it will be incredibly overpriced and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
nah it will be terrible

reminder that the "good" editions of 40k were still terrible games they just didn't have much competition

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah it will be terrible

reminder that the "good" editions of 40k were still terrible games they just didn't have much competition

I don't think you play games.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol this is actually official and not shopped

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moola posted:

lol this is actually official and not shopped

Yes.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah it will be terrible

I tend to agree. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

d...does GW read this thread???

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah it will be terrible

Yeah. I played 4e and I think WM had just come out around then. I liked the aesthetics but not so much the giant pieces of metal you could put in a sock and use as a bludgeon. I still have the Harbinger of Menoth from a clearance sale years ago and while I want to paint it someday, I'm afraid of it shattering while taking it to a painting competition.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheChirurgeon posted:

The photo that made the rounds was a conversion piece. It doesn't look anything like these.

please be quiet TheChirugeon

look at the ankles, knees, bolters, neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

ankles, knees, bolters, neck

bolters, neck

• Locked thread