Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

icantfindaname posted:

you could make a pretty strong case IMO that upper-middle class professional and creative types are more of a problem in our politics than the billionaires

I guess they do represent more votes total, and help to disseminate the messages created by the billionaires. As a resident of a state that was hosed thoroughly by the Kochs and their puppet Scott Walker, though, I can't really point at the doctor down two streets over and go "He's the problem!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I am so worried about an out of context quote on twitter that I must ignore the wealth of evidence that Perez intends to make significant changes to DNC strategy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I guess they do represent more votes total, and help to disseminate the messages created by the billionaires. As a resident of a state that was hosed thoroughly by the Kochs and their puppet Scott Walker, though, I can't really point at the doctor down two streets over and go "He's the problem!"

as a Wisconsinite myself, no it's literally nearly 100% the fault of upper-middle class white assholes in the Milwaukee suburbs that the state has gone to hell

they're not the liberal upper-middle class, but still

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I am so worried about an out of context quote on twitter that I must ignore the wealth of evidence that Perez intends to make significant changes to DNC strategy.

*dusts off the ol' quotinator*

quote:

The new chair of the Democratic National Committee acknowledged the party made mistakes in its past election strategy and has work ahead to win more seats at all levels of government.

"We didn't invest enough in our state party infrastructure," newly-elected DNC Chair Tom Perez told ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos on "This Week" Sunday. "We didn't invest enough in grassroots organizing. We ignored rural swaths of America."

"We need an every zip code strategy. We need to redefine the role of the DNC so that we're helping to elect people from the school board to the Senate," Perez added.

theeere we go.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

I want to pick at this in particular. These household incomes still aren't even part of the 1% in many areas of America. (Obviously in the Rust Belt or something it's way up there.) People have a tendency to think of others who make 2x to 5x what they do as Very Wealthy, because it's really really loving difficult for the majority of people to wrap their heads around just how loving much money the people who are loving us are actually earning. They're out of sight and they're out of mind, and no one can really conceive of just how completely alien and different their lives and realities are from our 9-5-and-come-home existences.

Very well pointed out. It's the old "lebron james is rich, the guy signing his checks is wealthy."

I'm still stuck on how it's bad that a prestigious university has a high median income for its alumni. :confused:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nevvy Z posted:

Very well pointed out. It's the old "lebron james is rich, the guy signing his checks is wealthy."

I'm still stuck on how it's bad that a prestigious university has a high median income for its alumni. :confused:

The real headline here is that the median family income for loving stanford grads is only 150K. Jesus christ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

only 150K. Jesus christ.

Great stuff for the workers party to say.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

as a Wisconsinite myself, no it's literally nearly 100% the fault of upper-middle class white assholes in the Milwaukee suburbs that the state has gone to hell

they're not the liberal upper-middle class, but still

From personal experience, not even the liberal upper middle class actually wants to change things that much beyond social issues. Granted why would they? They already live comfortable lives, and the status quo has given them a favorable degrees of power and self-confidence.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

joepinetree posted:

Anyone who claims that "safe space" has anything to do with academic discussions and opposing points of view is a clueless idiot. The idea of safe spaces on campus was never applied to inside a classroom or to political debates.

Racism and sexual assault are not apolitical issues. Reactionaries derive their views on black people and women from their ideological need for hierarchy- not the other way around. Toxic masculinity was definitely bred out of this as well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, dudes, how are dems taking Perez now that some time has passed? Did we lose the young people and have to win them back again?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

:negative:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Racism and sexual assault are not apolitical issues. Reactionaries derive their views on black people and women from their ideological need for hierarchy- not the other way around. Toxic masculinity was definitely bred out of this as well.

Patriarchy only started existing in the 16th century, being a creation of capitalism.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Patriarchy only started existing in the 16th century, being a creation of capitalism.

Augustus' anti-aldultery laws don’t count?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Augustus' anti-aldultery laws don’t count?

I'm making fun of "racism and sexism are because of ideological belief in hierarchy", since it's either tautological or bullshit.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I didn't say they were apolitical. I said that safe spaces do not apply to political debates. As in, when a sexual assault victims support group decides that their meetings are safe space, it is because they don't want it to be a debate with people who think date rape isn't "legitimate rape." Which doesn't prevent that "debate" from happening elsewhere, as evidenced by the dozens of people like Milo who make a living off of student government fees to come to campus and give the republican talking points of the day. But I guess at this point you are being intentionally obtuse.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 27, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WampaLord posted:

Great stuff for the workers party to say.

You're god drat right it is.

150K as a median, family income is a shockingly low figure for an ivy league school. First of all, we're talking median, not mean, so you can safely assume that that number is pulled drastically upward by a minority of extremely high earners. Second of all, in New York, Chicago, San Francisco or LA, that is absolutely a middle class wage for a family of 4, and I guarantee you the people earning that are not out in the sticks where you can buy a house for 40 grand.

A college educated family of 4 earning 150K in a major city center is not the enemy of the working class. If that's who you're angry at, you are deeply misinformed.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

First of all, we're talking median, not mean, so you can safely assume that that number is pulled drastically upward by a minority of extremely high earners

congrats on failing middle school stats

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't you read icantfindaname's post? The real bourgeoisie aren't the people who control capital, but artists and professional workers. We must, as leftists, destroy all art and media and kill all the lawyers and social workers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
When you guys say the DNC should turn to Bernie to ask what's next, you guys mean the DNC should turn to the people who ran his digital organizing, right?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

these words don't mean what you think they mean

Outliers also affect the median. That's what being part of the professional/creative class gets you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A college educated family of 4 earning 150K in a major city center is not the enemy of the working class. If that's who you're angry at, you are deeply misinformed.

I'm not angry at them, I'm angry at you for calling $150,000 "only" in any sense.

Even if you live in a high CoL area, that is a lot of money. You will have every need fulfilled. You will not struggle to survive. To say "only $150k" is out of touch as gently caress.

I make $40k, there are millions more making less than that and you want their votes too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Didn't you read icantfindaname's post? The real bourgeoisie aren't the people who control capital, but artists and professional workers. We must, as leftists, destroy all art and media and kill all the lawyers and social workers.

They control human capital, so yes, bourgeois

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

i am the bird posted:

When you guys say the DNC should turn to Bernie to ask what's next, you guys mean the DNC should turn to the people who ran his digital organizing, right?

Nah, we mean "fire liberals and liberalism into the sun, and start over"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I'm not angry at them, I'm angry at you for calling $150,000 "only" in any sense.

Even if you live in a high CoL area, that is a lot of money. You will have every need fulfilled. You will not struggle to survive. To say "only $150k" is out of touch as gently caress.

I make $40k, there are millions more making less than that and you want their votes too.

Agreed, let's not think and just live via the gut.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No one expected bush Obama or trump four years before the election. No one will predict the next winner 4 years out this time.

Barack Obama's 2004 DNC was literally followed up with "this guy's going to run for president, probably in 2008" by media outlets. Nobody who saw his speech and paid even the slightest attention to politics was surprised when he ran.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TheRat posted:

"fire liberals and liberalism into the sun, and start over"

*cool 90s kid turning away from his computer and giving the thumbs up*

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

By the way the real answer to this is to make college/professional/creative class education as freely available to the public and encouraged as possible. Centrist dems don't want to do that though

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

They control human capital, so yes, bourgeois

What in the goddamn? What the gently caress is this? Just go spree shoot at an art gallery or something instead of writing posts like these.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

What in the goddamn? What the gently caress is this? Just go spree shoot at an art gallery or something instead of writing posts like these.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_capital

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

icantfindaname posted:

congrats on failing middle school stats

lol whoops

my point still stands, though. If you're earning 150K as an individual without any dependents, you still have to triple your income before you're part of the 1% club. You are squarely in the top end of the consumer class. You are not part of the rent seeking class yet, and you have a long way to go to get there. If you're earning 150K with 3 dependents in a city, you're treading water.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No, you idiot child, you need to explain how human capital is controlled by sculptors instead of scampering away into your rathole.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol whoops

my point still stands, though. If you're earning 150K as an individual without any dependents, you still have to triple your income before you're part of the 1% club. You are squarely in the top end of the consumer class. You are not part of the rent seeking class yet, and you have a long way to go to get there. If you're earning 150K with 3 dependents in a city, you're treading water.

Imagine someone with 3 dependents making $50k in a city! *gasp* Perish the though, that must never happen.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Imagine someone with 3 dependents making $50k in a city! *gasp* Perish the though, that must never happen.

At least there's no one with 3 dependents making $25k in a city. Liberals would never allow that to happen.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

WampaLord posted:

A family making 150k in NYC/SF/DC is fulfilling their needs about as much as a similar family in the middle of nowhere making half that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Let's kill everyone that attended an elite university, the swine.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There are millions of people in Bangladesh poorer than just about every American, so nobody can talk about poverty and the cost of living in America now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

A family making 150k in NYC/SF/DC is fulfilling their needs about as much as a similar family in the middle of nowhere making half that.

Trust me, I weep for them on a regular basis. The horror.

They might have to get a smaller house or a used car. My heart breaks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

effectronica reduced to making fox news arguments about the poor having refrigerators and being better off than bangladeshis. a very sad state of affairs

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ideally, people who went to college would be marched out into the countryside and worked to death. Serves them right for living in cities, the root of all evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What's the issue with the median income of stanford grads, beyond "This isn't full communism now"?

• Locked thread