Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Some others from 2019 that I really liked but haven't seen mentioned much or at all:

Bethledeign - Iconography of Suffering (Death)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJIJy8HrXm4
Coffins - Beyond the Circular Demise (Death/Doom)
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Veleno (Symphonic Death Metal)
Full of Hell - Weeping Choir (Grind)
Fuming Mouth - The Grand Descent (Death/Thrash)
Jig-Ai - Entrails Tsunami (Goregrind)
Lord Gore - Scalpels for Blind Surgeons (Goregrind)
Necropanther - The Doomed City (Melodic Death)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHzsyxyqdwY
Pig's Blood - A Flock Slaughtered (Death)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcGywkxxJTI
White Ward - Love Exchange Failure (Avant-Garde Black Metal with Sax)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Stuff in no particular order that I really enjoyed or loved this year and mostly it's really obvious stuff for this thread.

Gloryhammer - Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex
Devin Townsend - Empath
Mork - Det Svarte Juv
Dawn Ray'd - Behold Sedition Plainsong
Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas
Exhumed - Horror
Darkthrone - Old Star
Wormwitch - Heaven That Dwells Within
Full Of Hell - Weeping Choir
Asagraum - Dawn of Infinite Fire

Also big shout out to my own band because for a period of about 4-5 months in the middle of the year I pretty much listened to nothing but test masters of my own material to get inspiration for writing the lyrics and getting the mastering how I liked it, forsaking all other music in this time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lifeglug posted:

I listened to this this morning after liking Angus' guest spot in that Nanowar video. Holy poo poo Gloryhammer rules

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I find 90% of power metal boring and cheesy but if you lean into the cheese as hard as Gloryhammer (and of course have some music to back it up) it crosses over into being awesome, I guess.

I kind of feel the same way about slam, which is why I love the new Devourment.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

I find 90% of power metal boring and cheesy but if you lean into the cheese as hard as Gloryhammer (and of course have some music to back it up) it crosses over into being awesome, I guess.

Yeah I kept finding myself laughing my rear end off and having a blast listening to it. I was expecting generic fantasy, and got....

quote:

Angus quests away to acquire the jetpack ("Legendary Enchanted Jetpack") and uses it to fly into outer space where he recharges his legendary Hammer of Glory ("Gloryhammer"). Returning to Fife, the resistance gathers aboard the flying Submarine, the DSS Hootsforce ("Hootsforce"). They head to Dunkeld and engage the forces of Zargothrax ("Battle for Eternity").

God it's so loving cheesy and the music is great.

Anyway, sidebar, but did you used to be het or is that someone else

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I kept finding myself laughing my rear end off and having a blast listening to it. I was expecting generic fantasy, and got....

God it's so loving cheesy and the music is great.

Anyway, sidebar, but did you used to be het or is that someone else

I’m pretty sure het is still around, just not modding anymore. NMD was without a mod for a while and they asked me to take over last summer.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Absolutely. Like I've tried listening to allsorts of different power metal over the year since Gloryhammer grasped me so hard, but none of it, save a few Sabaton tracks, a bit of Wind Rose and some old Luca Turilli and Rhapsody tracks sound any good to me. I need that absolute ridiculousness otherwise it just comes over pretty cringey.

I would say the same for Infant Annihilator. While I've been listening to a lot of various *core or slam releases, a lot of it leaves me really wanting more, Infant Annihilator, despite that I loathe everything about the lyrics and imagery, really hit that sweet spot for me. Dickie Allen's vocals are some next level poo poo, and the absurd breakdowns take it from just being another deathcore band to being a huge parody of the genre which makes it so enjoyable.

Also as you mention Devourment, I was kinda disappointed with the release. I'm not sure if it's just my listening setup everything I've tried the new album, but it just sounds like a muddy mess, and not in a good way, in a kinda wasted opportunity sorta way which is a shame, I still rate Molesting the Decapitated as one of my favourite alltime albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyway here’s some metal albums I loved this year in rough order:

Full of Hell - Weeping Choir
Inter Arma - Sulphur English
Immortal Bird - Thrive on Neglect
Cloud Rat - Pollinator
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Nucleus - Entity
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
No One Knows What the Dead Think - s/t
Judiciary - Surface Noise
Fange - Punir
Superstition - Anatomy of Unholy Transformation
Vastum - Orificial Purge
Devourment - Obscene Majesty
Takafumi Matsubara - Strange, Beautiful and Fast

Label of the year: 20 Buck Spin

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Quick show report...

Saw the current Morbid Angel US Tour. Incantation was freak'in awesome and celebrating John's 50th birthday party. Talked to him after their set and he was super nice and really appreciative. Watain's set was solid, but they are even better with a headliner set. Morbid Angel... well, I guess that I'm one of those that will always see David as the voice and face of Morbid Angel. Sorry Steve.

Oh yeah, here's my 2019 year end metal short list (in no particular order)...

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Gatecreeper - Deserted
Mayhem - Daemon
Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas
Darkthrone - Old Star
Crypt Sermon - The Ruins of Fading Light
Borknagar - True North
Idle Hands - Mana
Alcest - Spiritual Instinct
Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen
Russian Circles - Blood Year
Spirit Adrift - Divided By Darkness
Obsequiae - The Palms Of Sorrowed KIngs

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I’m pretty sure het is still around, just not modding anymore. NMD was without a mod for a while and they asked me to take over last summer.

het walked away from the forums after he wasn't a mod since he found he got more work done when he wasnt on here all the time.

hets a cool dude tho, he's the guy that convinced me to fly out to mdf the first time in 2013 and we've been splitting a hotel each year ever since.

in other news that high command album is really good.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
here's my top list for the year in no particular order:

Toxic Holocaust - Primal Fear 2019
Wraith - Absolute Power
Malignant Altar - Retribution of Jealous Gods
High Command - Beyond the Wall of Desolation
Sadistic Ritual - Visionaire of Death
Bolt Action - Born to Riff

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I posted my decade list, but here is my 2019 list and I'm being sure to backlog whatever you folks post that I haven't heard:
Bloodbound - Rise of the Dragon Empire
Autumn Heart - The Deaths of Summer
Blood Stain Child - Amateras (yes really)
Chat Pile's 2 EPs
Diva Karr - Healing
Drab Majesty - Modern Mirror
Endorphins Lost - Seclusions
Fen - The Dead Light
Fetid - Steeping Corporeal Mess
Lichmagick - Lichmagick
Metal De Facto - Imperium Romanum
Minenfeld - The Great Adventure
Mortality Rate - You Were the Gasoline
Mothersuperior - Infernal Honor
Orodruin - Ruins of Eternity
Pensees Nocturnes - Grand Guignol Orchestra
Sadisme - Festering in Telepathic Communion

1 is 1, the rest in alphabetical

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Nazzadan posted:

Autumn Heart - The Deaths of Summer

This album rules. It definitely deserves a lot more attention in the raw black metal scene but I guess everyone's too busy taking high contrast wampyr band pictures and squabbling over Deathkvlt Productions releases.

Edit: I just realized I mislabeled the Fuil na Seanchoille release from this year as "the passing" instead of the Crossing. Dumb. It's good though so check it out if you haven't.

deadking fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 19, 2019

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nazzadan posted:

I posted my decade list, but here is my 2019 list and I'm being sure to backlog whatever you folks post that I haven't heard:

When this came out (or when the Gloryhammer album came out, whichever), you pushed this, and I put it on, and from literally the first riff, I had a stupid grin on my face. I thank you for this. Happy holidays to you and literally no one else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nazzadan posted:

How could I have missed such a prodigious amount of cheese? It rules.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here's some cool canadian death metal that I guess is officially released tomorrow

https://prcmusic.bandcamp.com/album/cruel-fate-a-quaternary-of-decrepit-night-mares-cd

nice and old school sounding.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to see Týr tonight, gently caress yes :black101:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

deadking posted:

This album rules. It definitely deserves a lot more attention in the raw black metal scene but I guess everyone's too busy taking high contrast wampyr band pictures and squabbling over Deathkvlt Productions releases.

hey you aren't kidding, it's really good, just listened and it's already one of my faves of the year. it's like lo fi Sonic Youthy shoegazey black metal, extremely cool

reminds me a lot of some French bands like Nuit Noire and Call Me Loretta

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just found out Unleash the Archers are coming to Finland next August, but I'd have to buy an 80 € festival ticket to see them and that's very unlikely to be feasible as I'm a filthy poor. :saddowns:

EDIT: Also, it 's funny how diametrically opposed Nazzadan's taste in power metal cheese is to mine. I loving love Gloryhammer but none of the albums he's named as favourites do a drat thing for me. I was interested in Metal De Facto (despite the bad name) because their lineup had some good bands in their history, but nope. Can't get anything out of the songs I heard, aside from a decent riff or two.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 19, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I do really enjoy Gloryhammer, I remember when I bought 1992 at a small shop in San Diego along with a fat stack of slip case demos from a local bm artists down there. When the cashier got to Gloryhammer he laughed at the juxtaposition. There's just something about Bloodbound that hits exactly what I want in PM, only a few records have done that for me. Main examples would be Twilight Force's debut, Timeless Miracle, and Sonata Arctica's first 4.
Autumn Heart is so drat good, it's apparently an archival recording from 2011 and I'd like to see what other projects the people behind it have been in. Stillness will probably end up rounding out a top 20 after another couple spins.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Goddamn this Vastum album is even filthier than I remembered. I may have made my decade top 100 too soon.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

I do really enjoy Gloryhammer, I remember when I bought 1992 at a small shop in San Diego along with a fat stack of slip case demos from a local bm artists down there. When the cashier got to Gloryhammer he laughed at the juxtaposition. There's just something about Bloodbound that hits exactly what I want in PM, only a few records have done that for me. Main examples would be Twilight Force's debut, Timeless Miracle, and Sonata Arctica's first 4.
Autumn Heart is so drat good, it's apparently an archival recording from 2011 and I'd like to see what other projects the people behind it have been in. Stillness will probably end up rounding out a top 20 after another couple spins.

do you remember what shop in San Diego? I'm still looking for a good metal place here and haven't found one :(

one of the Autumn Heart guys is Dominick Fernow aka Prurient, he's also in Ash Pool and Roman Cross and (probably) Departure Chandelier and loads of other metal/noise stuff. anything on Hospital Productions that he runs is worth checking out if you like noise.

vv yeah I don't think it's supposed to be a secret so much as they just didn't "officially" say who was in the band or w/e

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 19, 2019

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Ash Pool is great too. Cremation is Irreversible is an all time top tier EP for me.

I didn't know there was supposed to be any mystery that Dominick was in Departure Chandelier, though. If you look at the band photos in the LP one of them definitely looks exactly like him.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ohhh sweet, I really like Ash Pool as well as Departure Chandelier. The band photos in the LP and the poster it came with are so funny, it's supposed to be the cool kvlt aesthetic but it's just in the daytime with super well lit natural lighting.

It was Lou's Records in Encinitas, about a half hour north of San Diego proper. Decent selection of obscure CDs, the metal vinyl was kinda lacking but they did have all the major new releases at the time.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 19, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

How does one even make such a list? I mean, yeah I could come up with 100 albums, but putting them in any coherent order after about 20 seems virtually impossible aside from "what mood I'm in that day"

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpkwkxUNAc

Holy gently caress there's nothing out there quite like Wilderun

Ambious fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 19, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Wilderun and Aether Realm tour together all the time and it's a dream ticket for me but they never come out west together

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

How does one even make such a list? I mean, yeah I could come up with 100 albums, but putting them in any coherent order after about 20 seems virtually impossible aside from "what mood I'm in that day"

I have yearly rankings so I just went off of those to put together some contenders and went from there. I ranked my top 50 and then the back half is just alphabetical. I found that part a lot harder actually! Tons of great albums that I feel bad about not being in the top 100, but I listen to a lot of stuff!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

you guys are not tired are you? thought we would wake you up by playing something really old and really fast. this used to be called antichrist. we got some fuckin problems with the police, so we changed the lyrics. now its called anticop gently caress THE POLICE

lol listened to that so many god drat times

Hell yeah, that was recorded at the Metro in Chicago. gently caress THE CPD!!

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
I mean holy gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtA7EDkl94

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was gonna mull this over for another week or so, but ahh gently caress it, here goes my AOTY 2019 list.

TOP 11: (because I just didn't have the heart to bump any of these down to a mere honourable mention.) No particular order, some "not-really-metal-but-adjacent-enough" stuff also included.

Insomnium - Heart Like a Grave
Sadboy melodeath like only these guys can do it. Title track makes me nostalgic for Sentenced, in a good way.

Avantasia - Moonglow
What if Jim Steinman wrote a power metal album? Best Avantasia release, easily. Immensely vibrant and full of joy.

Vorna - Sateet palata saavat
Not wholly unlike Insomnium, but also more; slightly blackened, for one. loving beautiful, probably in the top 3 of this whole lot.

Riot City - Burn the Night
Not only one of the very top albums of the year, I maintain that this is one of the best 80s style traditional metal albums made since the 80s.

WHEN THE DARK LORD COMES WE WILL SHOOT THE LASER GUNS. Love it when a parody band is also one of the legit best bands of its genre. An epic war is fight.

Asagraum - Dawn of Infinite Fire
Other bands play, Asagraum RIPS. Dunno what to say, it's straightforward satanic black metal and it's loving great.

Aephanemer - Prokopton
Melodeath of the somewhat more grandiose and bombastic variety, but not overbearingly cheesy. I like the vocalist's mountain lion snarl. Strong contender for the top spot of the list.

Frozen Crown - Crowned in Frost
I'll be brutally honest; I find Italian power metal almost categorically garbage, or mediocre at best. These guys are the exception, what with their refreshing lack of stupid keyboard bullshit and all.

Jess By The Lake - Under the Red Light Shine
More down-to-earth than the occult psychedelia of Jess and the Ancient Ones, but no less engrossing nor lacking in atmosphere.

Pristine - Road Back to Ruin
One of the best bands of the whole oldschool blues rock scene keep on being consistently awesome (aside from the inexplicable terrible country ballad on this album).

I *guess* parts of this album could still be classed as doom metal. But it's also a lot more. Like if doome metal was played at a smoky jazz club. That was floating in outer space.

Honourable Mentions:

Gatecreeper - Deserted
Toxic Holocaust - Primal Future 2019
Eternal Storm - Come the Tide
Iron Savior - Kill or Get Killed
Saor - Forgotten Paths
Merging Flare - Revolt Regime
Necropanther - The Doomed City
Screamer - Highway of Heroes
Idle Hands - Mana
Ferus Melek - We Don't Belong Here
Kryptos - Afterburner
Skelator - Cyber Metal
The Neptune Power Federation - Memoirs of a Rat Queen
Nightwish - Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 19, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao I’ve missed so many albums, wow, I love you all for these lists. I hate making lists but I almost want to see what my top 10 would look like. I’m never catching up with all these albums though but in the name of Corpsegrinder’s yearly red card savings I will try my best.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I forgot about some hipster atmoblack that came out this year!

Ashbringer - Absolution
Falls of Rauros - Patterns in Mythology
Numenorean - Adore (a personal favourite)

And some blackened speed metal!

Hellripper - Black Arts And Alchemy
Bewitcher - Under The Witching Cross

And some death/doom!

Krypts - Cadaver Circulation

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Ambious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpkwkxUNAc

Holy gently caress there's nothing out there quite like Wilderun

Yeah I've been loving this album, it really stands out. The orchestral and choral stuff is probably too cheesy for some people but I think it owns.

Also, on the proggier side of things, Caligula's Horse and Moon Tooth announced a North American tour together recently. Soooo hyped to see them both.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here's a cool thing that got released today

https://nailcrown.bandcamp.com/album/coronation-2

sort of a black/death metal mix. Normally I'm not too keen on this particular drum sound, but it works for them.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

lmao I’ve missed so many albums, wow, I love you all for these lists. I hate making lists but I almost want to see what my top 10 would look like. I’m never catching up with all these albums though but in the name of Corpsegrinder’s yearly red card savings I will try my best.

Same.

Anime of the year is Norwegian reggaeton for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0YXfeNxJJ0

Love that viking.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Found this on some other end of year list, it's really good stripped down riffy black metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEsY6iVIXGM

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw Immortal Bird play the entirety of Thrive on Neglect in a basement. It owned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of finding new stuff on others' year end lists: I can't believe I haven't listened to the Blut Aus Nord album before. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Just saw Immortal Bird play the entirety of Thrive on Neglect in a basement. It owned.

Fuckin jealous. I've been listening to that record a whole lot in the past month or so. It just goddamn slaps.