Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phil Moscowitz posted:

But that's a picture of a dead US paratrooper in Vietnam being airlifted out of the jungle?

It's also the #2 GIS result for "thrown out of helicopter", and why would Google be wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's pointless to doxx one individual meme-making fascist since there are many thousands of them out there. So why make the threat?

It almost certainly wasn't a threat.

There is a 99% chance it was drafted by a lawyer and the lawyer put that in as a standard clause to avoid even the potential possibility of being sued for libel or having to ask HanAssholeSolo for comment if there was a breaking news story.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tormented posted:

Free speech is a human right but you have no right to be anonymous if you exercise this right.

If you truly believe in what your saying you should be embarrassed for it to made public.

Waaayyy too many people seem to think freedom of speech also means freedom from being called out on their poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's pointless to doxx one individual meme-making fascist since there are many thousands of them out there. So why make the threat?

it's not a threat for pete's sake

CNN was completely within their rights to publish the guy's name but chose not to because there was no real reason and also the dude apologized and seemed to mean it

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
To be honest if Breitbart made the same exact comment about a dude who made a gif attacking Trump let's not pretend that people wouldn't be having a shitfit over it here.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doxxing is good if it's the people getting doxxed are people I don't like. Good to know.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grapplejack posted:

Doxxing is good if it's the people getting doxxed are people I don't like. Good to know.

who got doxxed?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

boner confessor posted:

who got doxxed?

America.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

To be honest if Breitbart made the same exact comment about a dude who made a gif attacking Trump let's not pretend that people wouldn't be having a shitfit over it here.

Yea, I don't think CNN acted right at all here.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It almost certainly wasn't a threat.

There is a 99% chance it was drafted by a lawyer and the lawyer put that in as a standard clause to avoid even the potential possibility of being sued for libel or having to ask HanAssholeSolo for comment if there was a breaking news story.

If it's a standard clause, why isn't it present in literally any other article? There is absolutely nothign standard about it.

They don't need a public-facing clause that they have the right to change their mind on outing someone. They are just as legally free to do it before or after; that clause offers literally zero legal protection in any way. It's not like the article is a binding contract between them and the loving memester, it's a public-facing document whose primary audience is readers.

I'm all in favor of outing online racists, but it's ridiculous to claim that wasn't an obvious "if you don't behave I'm calling your parents" threat.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

who got doxxed?

SOME FIF TEEN YEAR OLD KID! :mad:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

In a normal world when someone got their art featured on something the president shared you'd get a neat local news story of finding the scrappy kid that made it, It wasn't the expectation that you'd get "makes and shares lists of jews" where even finding the person is seen as a super big deal because they need to be allowed to target jews in privacy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im still lolling heartily that the "threat" relates to saying "oh yeah, the guy who talked about how jews should be butchered in the streets? actually bob smith of 123 racist lane said that" and how many people are pissing themselves that it's worse to point out bob smith is a bigot than than it is to say jews should be butchered in the streets

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Look I'm all for racists getting mocked online and facing repercussions such as career problems and shame if their racism is brought to light but to sit here and pretend like anyone here wouldn't be foaming at the mouth and screaming for Breibart to be investigated if they did the same exact thing is absurd.

CNN did a loving embarrassing thing that makes them look like whiny dorks who threatened a dude with career ending doxxing if he made any more mean gifs about them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

im still lolling heartily that the "threat" relates to saying "oh yeah, the guy who talked about how jews should be butchered in the streets? actually bob smith of 123 racist lane said that" and how many people are pissing themselves that it's worse to point out bob smith is a bigot than than it is to say jews should be butchered in the streets

Uh you've had that exact same "calling me racist is worse than my racism" meltdown yourself, hoss.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
In future, CNN should out all meme-making fascists ASAP so that nothing they say can be construed as a threat. In fact, maybe they might consider a human interest series on "Faces behind the hate" so we can find out that Hitler1448_usuk is actually a mild-mannered Wisconsin schoolteacher with a "unique" method of teaching history, including such things as the reactions of his students and employers to this new information. I think this could be heartwarming.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

jesus loving christ

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/882674564316246016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Z. Autobahn posted:

If it's a standard clause, why isn't it present in literally any other article? There is absolutely nothign standard about it.

They don't need a public-facing clause that they have the right to change their mind on outing someone. They are just as legally free to do it before or after; that clause offers literally zero legal protection in any way. It's not like the article is a binding contract between them and the loving memester, it's a public-facing document whose primary audience is readers.

I'm all in favor of outing online racists, but it's ridiculous to claim that wasn't an obvious "if you don't behave I'm calling your parents" threat.

It's a pre-emptive statement with a public postmark to prevent any accusations of libel or retaliatory action in a civil case.

It's done very frequently by lawyers issuing public statements. It's also why even when someone is on video gunning down 30 people, lawyers and press will always say "allegedly gunned down 30 people in broad daylight on camera."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Uh you've had that exact same "calling me racist is worse than my racism" meltdown yourself, hoss.

i somehow doubt that is true, perpetually melting down slashie rereg. your perception of other posters is not what i would call accurate but i dont want to get dragged into your wednesday afternoon outrage theater production so i'll just leave it at that

remember when you were so mad at me over something i posted that you embarrassingly tried to claim my daughter will never love me? did you tell your therapist about that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
where do I get a big blue "MEDICARE FOR ALL" sticker?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If we scare off all the antisemites how will The Marketplace Of Ideas get all the murder threats against people due to their very existence it presumably needs to function? :ohdear:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Look I'm all for racists getting mocked online and facing repercussions such as career problems and shame if their racism is brought to light but to sit here and pretend like anyone here wouldn't be foaming at the mouth and screaming for Breibart to be investigated if they did the same exact thing is absurd.

CNN did a loving embarrassing thing that makes them look like whiny dorks who threatened a dude with career ending doxxing if he made any more mean gifs about them.

This thread making excuses for CNN using it's power to threaten some dude is loving gross.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
#3 is literally, exactly, couldn't be more accurately written what failed in 2016, so good job there.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tell us which one you like in three emojis or less

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hahaha

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think context matters. It's not about "People I disagree with," it's about the crime in question. We'd be pissed if CNN didn't tell us which vatican dude was loving kids, but would be ok with them not telling us which Vatican dude just got out of jail for his crimes and is reformed so he can live a quiet life. WHen it comes to this racist as gently caress dude, they should have just doxxed him because of his hate speech and his possible ability to spread his hate, that's different from Breitbart doxxing Chelsea Manning, because she's just trying to live her life. There's a huge difference between resisting fascism, and being polite, and sometimes you have to resist.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

This thread making excuses for CNN using it's power to threaten some dude is loving gross.

The media doorsteps people all the time to ask insightful questions like "How did you feel when your son went on a horrible killing rampage?" so they might as well stalk someone who is actually a bad person for a change.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a pre-emptive statement with a public postmark to prevent any accusations of libel or retaliatory action in a civil case.

It's done very frequently by lawyers issuing public statements. It's also why even when someone is on video gunning down 30 people, lawyers and press will always say "allegedly gunned down 30 people in broad daylight on camera."

If this is a standard practice, please link to other CNN articles which contain this kind of language.

Honestly, if CNN had run an article saying "We found the guy who made the meme, it's Bob Smith of 123 Lane, meet the racist next door", that would've honestly been less bad, because at least it's defensible as conventional journalism (here is a new piece of information for the public). But this whole "Oh, we know who did it, but we won't out him so long as he issues an apology and promises to never ever go against us again" isn't defensible on that front. Regardless of intent, it looks overtly like intimidating a dude who criticized them and threatening anyone else who tries the same.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
That creepy Reddit dude getting doxxed by Gawker at least was justified by the dude being a part of some pretty heinous poo poo like creepshots, jailbait and other awful stuff, plus as I recall the dude had admitted to pretty illegal stuff as well.

This guy is a racist shithead, no argument here, but is this REALLY what CNN wants to focus it's airtime on?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Boy you're really reaching to justify why doxxing is bad for people you like but not for people you don't like.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yes, if Breitbart privately contacted a racist poo poo poster, who then apologized publicly, and also never published their name, we would be outraged.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grapplejack posted:

Boy you're really reaching to justify why doxxing is bad for people you like but not for people you don't like.

who got doxxed? if you think it's a double standard that someone got doxxed, please tell us who it was? someone must have been doxxed for you to express this opinion

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

Do you believe Murderers should get life in prison? (it's important for the argument.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

uh yes?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The media doorsteps people all the time to ask insightful questions like "How did you feel when your son went on a horrible killing rampage?" so they might as well stalk someone who is actually a bad person for a change.

Do you really want to loving normalize this? What if it was you on Breitbart?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

This guy is a racist shithead, no argument here, but is this REALLY what CNN wants to focus it's airtime on?

they haven't? the only reason this is a controversy is because of all the weirdos freaking out about the implicit threat to doxx a guy who, it should be mentioned, was not actually doxxed

Grapplejack posted:

Do you really want to loving normalize this? What if it was you on Breitbart?

while you are arguing it's bad to dox people you don't seem to be able to tell us who it was who was doxxed here, which is kind of a crucial part of your argument

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

I think it's OK for the media to hassle people who do bad things, but not people who don't. For instance, if they were to out a KKK member, I'd be fine with it. If they were to out everyone at the local hospital getting treatment for HIV, I would not be fine with it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, if Breitbart privately contacted a racist poo poo poster, who then apologized publicly, and also never published their name, we would be outraged.

If Breitbart found a dude who made lovely anti-Trump gifs, made comments about how Conservatives deserved to be killed, and then made a post on their website threatening to doxx the dude to their angry as gently caress followers if they ever made another gif this forum would be outraged and they should be.

Sorry dude, this was lovely and humiliating by CNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Yeah honestly, doxxing racists and/or pretty much any Trump supporter is not a bad thing and should be encouraged. gently caress the lot of em.

• Locked thread