Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

NmareBfly posted:

This is going to give troll ammo for months if not years.

Remember when the GOP investigated Benghazi for 4 years then stopped right after their candidate got elected?

No one, and I mean no one, should give a gently caress what fascists might use to troll people. They will make up poo poo if they have to, so why tip toe around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

business hammocks posted:

Halo and anime. It's almost as bad as the liberal Harry Potter/Handmaid's Tale poo poo.

Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel and inspired show riffing on attitudes towards women that exist right now today in the US are worse as discoursive references than Halo and anime, yes, this is a statement that makes any loving sense whatsoever.

(it makes a little sense, but the sense it makes is that business hammocks gets more annoyed by people he agrees with being dumb and reductionist than people he disagrees with being dumber and more reductionist)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

haveblue posted:

I for real have the same name as a somewhat major right-wing figure so I'm highly resistant to googling. Maybe there's some way I can get a misdirected hate campaign against him.

Oh my god, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna!?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

haveblue posted:

I for real have the same name as a somewhat major right-wing figure so I'm highly resistant to googling. Maybe there's some way I can get a misdirected hate campaign against him.

I would guess Miller. He might as well be named John Smith.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Lord posted:

:golfclap:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't doxx me you fake news

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The key to anonymity in an online profile is to use historical figures or be able to predict the next pop sensation.

That's why all of my online usernames are failed 20th century revolutionaries and Noah Cyrus.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Madkal posted:

Have the people on TD and such given up all pretenses of caring about a democracy and just finally embraced their fetish for Authoritarianism? What CNN did was fine in the context of a free press yet the alt-right is calling for their heads and I am wondering why don't they just finally admit that they desperately want to live under some dictator who will get rid of all the minorities and let them jerk off to anime in public.

It's bad optics.

This is what fascists do. They pretend they care so much about free speech and how they just want a debate because that's the only defence they have for their despicable views and the only way they can get heard. Then when those views become more acceptable after being treated as an alternate viewpoint and normalised, they cast off the free speech charade as you'd take off a coat. You see this in the communities where they have the power, they're some of the most moderated, hostile, and censored places you can find.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Can someone with a better knowledge of privacy laws explain why the outing of the gif guy is/is not legal? Do posts on reddit have a reasonable expectation of privacy/anonymity according to the law?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Skippy Granola posted:

That's definitely a fair counterargument. I guess my issue is I find it hard to stomach that at least half the country is made of racist nihilists bent on sowing chaos.

They're also sometimes called Trump voters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can someone with a better knowledge of privacy laws explain why the outing of the gif guy is/is not legal? Do posts on reddit have a reasonable expectation of privacy/anonymity according to the law?

There is no law against it.

Some people on the alt-right are saying that CNN's disclaimer at the end of their article could be considered a blackmail threat and claiming that is illegal.

Privacy laws don't apply to public statements or places in 99.9% of scenarios. Massachusetts had to rewrite their laws banning upskirt photos because it treated upskirt photos taken in public the same as private and the court ruled that you had no expectation of privacy in a public place.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 5, 2017

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That disclaimer at the end was really, really dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

fishing with the fam posted:

That disclaimer at the end was really, really dumb.

It was a CYA move that the alt-right is just harping on as a figleaf to claim victimization.

The disclaimer is just there to cover them from charges of libel or (ironically) retaliation if they wanted to report on a breaking news related to this story without getting a comment from HanSoloAsshole or whatever his name was.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm surprised someone else hasn't doxxed the dude by now

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rinkles posted:

But anybody could have made it. A shithead no doubt, but not necessarily the person it came out as. There's no way Trump would've known. The actual offense was posting the tweet and its content.

That's not how the internet, social media or memes work.

Again not a defense of Trump or that stupid, bad tweet and gif.

It doesn't matter "how memes work", it matters how the presidency works. if the president publishes something, whoever made it will get attention.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

He will probably be on The View by next week.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

After he was contacted by CNN, he deleted his accounts because he was embarrassed. CNN anticpated the puppetmaster defense, and told him if he posted additional hateful poo poo they would associate his name with his "art" lol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

he posted enough information about himself that whoever at CNN was looking him up could find and confirm his facebook. you don't have an expectation of privacy when it comes to posting details about your real identity online sufficient for anyone to figure it out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was a CYA move that the alt-right is just harping on as a figleaf to claim victimization.

The disclaimer is just there to cover them from charges of libel or (ironically) retaliation if they wanted to report on a breaking news related to this story without getting a comment from HanSoloAsshole or whatever his name was.

It does read almost menacing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel and inspired show riffing on attitudes towards women that exist right now today in the US are worse as discoursive references than Halo and anime, yes, this is a statement that makes any loving sense whatsoever.

(it makes a little sense, but the sense it makes is that business hammocks gets more annoyed by people he agrees with being dumb and reductionist than people he disagrees with being dumber and more reductionist)

No you don't understand, people are discussing current topics using terminology borrowed from stories they collectively understand. This has never happened before and is very bad. It's a real Brave New World or 1984 Newspeak situation here.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If what cnn did was illegal, Derek Smart should be serving multiple life sentences.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Withholding his identity was actually quite generous.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Live stream of UN council on North Korea
http://www.politico.com/live

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Most people wouldn't even perceive a sentence starting with "____ reserves the right to ____" because it's common enough disclaimer stuff on everything but to Nazi Twitter trolls of course something so template and commonplace is a menacing threat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

We have an agreement. If you follow it, we follow it. If you don't follow it, we don't follow it.

Contracts are now Blackmail according to Internet Lawayers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moxie posted:

Withholding his identity was actually quite generous.

a-yup.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The Donald, dankmemes, and other pepe subreddits are on fire with this cnn poo poo which is 100% proof positive that it's a bullshit nothing burger distractiom just like everything else they think matters.

Seth Rich and that nazi cnn meme guy; martyrs for the pepe / kekistan cause because they Care So Much.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Xae posted:

We have an agreement. If you follow it, we follow it. If you don't follow it, we don't follow it.

Contracts are now Blackmail according to Internet Lawayers.

They didn't even enter a contract, that was their point. They are under no binding terms with HanASolo.

EDIT: CNN should say HanASolo's real name is Seth Rich just to mess with em.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Most people wouldn't even perceive a sentence starting with "____ reserves the right to ____" because it's common enough disclaimer stuff on everything but to Nazi Twitter trolls of course something so template and commonplace is a menacing threat.

They're saying they'll keep his info secret so long as he doesn't act up again. That is not an intentionally twisted reading of that last sentence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rinkles posted:

They're saying they'll keep his info secret so long as he doesn't act up again. That is not an intentionally twisted reading of that last sentence.

sure, but the alt right being deranged freaks with poor social skills read a statement as innocent as "we'll keep quiet about your identity since you apologized but we do know who you are" as some kind of chilling threat on free speech

and lol that attributing authorship to a person for their online hate speech is such a terrible life ending threat. maybe it would be better in the first place to not post so frequently and angrily about murdering jews that it becomes a thing which would end your career if the wrong people found out about it? i know for sure someone's going to accuse me of victim blaming but it's a bit absurd that being a closeted racist should be protected in the manner of a homosexual from decades past

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

terrorist ambulance posted:

The Donald, dankmemes, and other pepe subreddits are on fire with this cnn poo poo which is 100% proof positive that it's a bullshit nothing burger distractiom just like everything else they think matters. Seth rogers and that nazi cnn meme guy, martyrs for the pepe / kekistam cause

Were they at all concerned with Trump asking states to send in tons of highly personal information about voters last week, or do privacy rights only mean their "right" to hide their vileness behind a screen name?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

haveblue posted:

Helicopters are en vogue because Duterte has boasted about personally throwing people out of them :shepface:

But that's a picture of a dead US paratrooper in Vietnam being airlifted out of the jungle?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Crow Jane posted:

Were they at all concerned with Trump asking states to send in tons of highly personal information about voters last week, or do privacy rights only mean their "right" to hide their vileness behind a screen name?

They'd give up their anonymity if it meant brown people lost theirs too

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

because they're not very smart and their ostensible preference for privacy and free speech only extends to themselves, immediately discarded when they feel wronged and want to attack someone they disagree with

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure how they should have proceeded after finding out the guy was a complete shithead, but I certainly wouldn't have gone with the wording on that disclaimer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Reik posted:

EDIT: CNN should say HanASolo's real name is Seth Rich just to mess with em.

:eyepop:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Is this some sort of Pinochet reference? :staredog:

An uncle of mine, a Vietnam veteran, mentioned piloting his helicopter into the sky with two POW's for interrogation, only one came back to Earth safely.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Free speech is a human right but you have no right to be anonymous if you exercise this right.

If you truly believe in what your saying you should be embarrassed for it to made public.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Rinkles posted:

He could just make a brand new account and post the exact same drivel and they'd have no way to know it's him so it's a meaningless thing to add anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's pointless to doxx one individual meme-making fascist since there are many thousands of them out there. So why make the threat?

• Locked thread