Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

glyph posted:

Does Cumberford still do the design critiques in Automobile magazine? Hell, is he still alive? Those two pages alone kept me subscribing for years longer than I would have otherwise.

E: Yep, he sure does. These spreads translate better to the web than I would have guessed. Cool.

Thank you for this link, I've never heard of the guy but he's clearly a lot more considered about design than most people who write about cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That thing is parked right across from me, and the owner - I can only assume - died, because it never moves. It just sits there, and every day, of every week, I drive my car onto the street, and my eyes are glued to this car. My simple mind struggles to find design patterns, lines, anything to hold onto, and while I suffer, the capitalistic part of my brain tries to find a solution why someone buys this. I have to endure this every day, every morning, and I never manage to NOT look at that thing for couple of seconds, while traffic honks at me.

It simply sits there, silent, since weeks or months, taunting me, questioning all of my (bad) automotive tastes I aquired over the years.

It never makes a sound. It never lights a light. It sits there, and looks at me.

I think it follows me, even when I drive past it.

Hundreds of meters away, I know it's still there, and I know once I return to my place, it still sits there, because it waited for me.

I'm sure it'll kill me one day, as it did kill it's owner.

I need to make the first move....

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've just seen some studio photos of this car and it's made me notice another thing about this car that I hate. The thing is if it was implemented better I'd think it was kinda cool but it's just pointlessly done because it adds nothing.

The shoulder line on the doors. It starts from the back door, runs all the way through the front door, into the front quarter, down back into the front door, all the way back to the rear door where it swoops up into the rear quarter and then pivots BACK INTO the rear door where it just kinda stops and doesn't accent any other line on the car. It's so weird.

This loving car is some nightmarish Lovecraftian mess of lines and nonsensical decisions. It's like if you tried to get AI to understand car design by feeding it a Juke.

nice steelseries

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

For me I can't help but think the C-HR was somehow designed by or related to these guys:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Goober Peas posted:

Those boots always creeped me out. It's like a rubbery corrugated scrotum.

My Cherokee had exactly the same boot.

glyph posted:

My first car was a [hand me down] Plymouth voyager. The shifter on mine was very similar, boot and all.

Here is a pic of the shifter placement on he minivans- SUPER low. Mine was silver, with shiny, hot as the surface of the sun in summer, vinyl seats, and just as stripped- it had no AC, power anything, TACH, cupholder, the front seats didn’t recline, there wasn’t a seek function on the radio only head unit... it only had the three seater bench in the second row, there wasn’t a third row in ours.

I absolutely hated it at the time (mid- late 90s), but I’d love to have it now.

The fact that it's a *manual* minivan is pretty much all that's needed to lust after it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

glyph posted:

Does Cumberford still do the design critiques in Automobile magazine? Hell, is he still alive? Those two pages alone kept me subscribing for years longer than I would have otherwise.

E: Yep, he sure does. These spreads translate better to the web than I would have guessed. Cool.

Not Cumberford, but one of the other writers thinks the 2020 Hyundai Sonata is "stunning":

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-hyundai-sonata-design-in-depth-feature/

Interestingly, there appears to be a much less aggressive variant that looks better. For one thing, the grille doesn't look all twisted up.

edit: oh, God, I just noticed the chrome strip following the hood line from the headlights. Ugh.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So Hyundai is ripping off Lexus now instead of Mercedes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dig the red one.

Edit: hot drat if that were rwd I'd be all over it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 8, 2019

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

All will succumb to THE MAW

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Wrapping all chrome on that red sonata black would make it look worlds better.

Hot take

The edge st ain't bad at all in a straight line, but it also doesn't deserve the st name

Where's the loving 6 speed, ford

Where is it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Wrapping all chrome on that red sonata black would make it look worlds better.

Hot take

The edge st ain't bad at all in a straight line, but it also doesn't deserve the st name

Where's the loving 6 speed, ford

Where is it

Exploding galaxy brain: the ST name isn't that special

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lexus was cool when basically all they did was put a twist in the sideskirts but toyota can't let go of the electric razor design

Colostomy Bag posted:

So Hyundai is ripping off Lexus now instead of Mercedes?

ironically that one hyundai elantra's success was the reason all FWD ecobox lights across the board have the anime 'tude slant now regardless if its german, american or japanese

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Darchangel posted:

Not Cumberford, but one of the other writers thinks the 2020 Hyundai Sonata is "stunning":

This is clearly ripping off the Audi A7. Both are bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The A7 is incredible and I will fight you

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That looks absolutely nothing like an A7, the proportions are all off. It's much closer to a current shape Civic.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

While you're murdering Toyota what do y'all think of the new corolla hatch?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dissss posted:

That looks absolutely nothing like an A7, the proportions are all off. It's much closer to a current shape Civic.

The hood and trunk portions of the Hyundai look very similar to me. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think the overall shape is decent but I'd like a 2 door version better. The weird arcs on the beltline are kind of a wtf I guess.

The front grill in an abomination, but you can't really hate too much because literally everyone has gone full dumb when it comes to front end styling.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Powershift posted:

Exploding galaxy brain: the ST name isn't that special

The ST cars are supposed to be engaging and fun to drive.

it's a 4000lb suv

It ain't an ST. Maybe an st.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I dig the red one.

Edit: hot drat if that were rwd I'd be all over it.

That would be the Genesis sedans, then. G60, G70, and G80. I liked those at the auto show a couple weekends ago. Available V8!
Kia Stinger is the same platform, but with Kia's less razor-edge styling, of course.

xzzy posted:

I think the overall shape is decent but I'd like a 2 door version better. The weird arcs on the beltline are kind of a wtf I guess.

The front grill in an abomination, but you can't really hate too much because literally everyone has gone full dumb when it comes to front end styling.

I appreciate that they brought the hatch back (heh.) Some of the surfacing is definitely finky, but not outright awful. The front end is a tad too boy-racer for me, but it's downright conservative in the face of some of the other Toyotas and Lexii.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Darchangel posted:

That would be the Genesis sedans, then. G60, G70, and G80. I liked those at the auto show a couple weekends ago. Available V8!
Kia Stinger is the same platform, but with Kia's less razor-edge styling, of course.

G70, G80, G90 you mean? Also, there is no V8, the top-tier engine in any of those is a turbo V6.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The ST cars are supposed to be engaging and fun to drive.

it's a 4000lb suv

It ain't an ST. Maybe an st.

Ford's back to their old games.

They did this after killing off the SVT group in 2006. The facelifted 2005-7 Focus featured an "ST" that was basically the same as the non-ST with the exceptions of a 2.3 I4 (instead of a 2.0), rear disc brakes and dampers from the SVT Focus. Otherwise the only differences were cosmetic in nature.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Darchangel posted:

edit: oh, God, I just noticed the chrome strip following the hood line from the headlights. Ugh.

Don't know how you'll take this news, but the front half of that strip lights up for the DRLs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Oh hey buddy you're sad? Me too

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

G70, G80, G90 you mean? Also, there is no V8, the top-tier engine in any of those is a turbo V6.
Both the G80 and G90 still have a V8 in the top trim. There were rumors that they were dropping the V8 in favor of the V6TT they use in the G80 Sport but that didn’t happen for this model year.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it reminds me of the Lexus CT which just makes me wonder if Toyota's hand-me-down styling strats every few years are as intentional as they feel

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you for pluralizing this correctly

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

it reminds me of the Lexus CT which just makes me wonder if Toyota's hand-me-down styling strats every few years are as intentional as they feel

I'm so glad I got a '13 CT off-lease because it just beat out the Lexus maw.

I really like the "Toyota but kinda nicer" feel of Lexus, but goddamn, gently caress that styling.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ComfyPants posted:

Don't know how you'll take this news, but the front half of that strip lights up for the DRLs.

the mazda RX8 concept did this better

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Looks like it should be filter feeding at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

david_a posted:

Both the G80 and G90 still have a V8 in the top trim. There were rumors that they were dropping the V8 in favor of the V6TT they use in the G80 Sport but that didn’t happen for this model year.

My bad, there is a V8 but none of the press cars came with one.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
why this toyota 86 got two radios

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Solus posted:

why this toyota 86 got two radios

so you can play sandstorm in a round.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

one of them is the JVC turbo timer to keep that ebay bolton kit from nuking the engine before 100k

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Thief posted:

one of them is the JVC turbo timer to keep that ebay bolton kit from nuking the engine before 100k

it's done 120k already :smith:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tuo posted:

That thing is parked right across from me, and the owner - I can only assume - died, because it never moves. It just sits there, and every day, of every week, I drive my car onto the street, and my eyes are glued to this car. My simple mind struggles to find design patterns, lines, anything to hold onto, and while I suffer, the capitalistic part of my brain tries to find a solution why someone buys this. I have to endure this every day, every morning, and I never manage to NOT look at that thing for couple of seconds, while traffic honks at me.

It simply sits there, silent, since weeks or months, taunting me, questioning all of my (bad) automotive tastes I aquired over the years.

It never makes a sound. It never lights a light. It sits there, and looks at me.

I think it follows me, even when I drive past it.

Hundreds of meters away, I know it's still there, and I know once I return to my place, it still sits there, because it waited for me.

I'm sure it'll kill me one day, as it did kill it's owner.

I need to make the first move....

:lol: My brother. Good luck.

I don't actually hate it simply because there are worse cars out on the road. I notice a few nods to Lexus' current design language with the lip and the body accents by the reflectors on the rear. It does kinda look like a Vauxhall though overall (clamshell bonnet, different coloured roof scream Vauxhall Adam to me personally) which isn't a bad thing, Vauxhall designers are putting out some really nice cars which is hilarious because they're loving VAUXHALL

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:lol: My brother. Good luck.

I don't actually hate it simply because there are worse cars out on the road. I notice a few nods to Lexus' current design language with the lip and the body accents by the reflectors on the rear. It does kinda look like a Vauxhall though overall (clamshell bonnet, different coloured roof scream Vauxhall Adam to me personally) which isn't a bad thing, Vauxhall designers are putting out some really nice cars which is hilarious because they're loving VAUXHALL

Made me think of a Citroen DS3 at first glance personally

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Made me think of a Citroen DS3 at first glance personally

That too, I was deciding which to put but it was the clamshell bonnet action which swung it Adam's way. I totally see where you're coming from with that comment though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of car stuff I have to see daily: what's everyone's opinion on the Citroen C3? The cactus was a bit weird, but I still think it had some charm to it, but I honestly like the way they integrated those anti-rear end in a top hat-parker-pillows into the C3, especially with the color options. It seems like there are different variations now (saw one couple of days ago that had a lot of those pillows on the rear), but for something that is basically an absolute no-go on paper, it actually looks pretty fitting and good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

tuo posted:

Speaking of car stuff I have to see daily: what's everyone's opinion on the Citroen C3? The cactus was a bit weird, but I still think it had some charm to it, but I honestly like the way they integrated those anti-rear end in a top hat-parker-pillows into the C3, especially with the color options. It seems like there are different variations now (saw one couple of days ago that had a lot of those pillows on the rear), but for something that is basically an absolute no-go on paper, it actually looks pretty fitting and good?

We have a DS3 convertible as a leasing car and the quality is god awful.

Car was in service for over 10 percent of the leasing time so far including a broken passenger seat that should have quite obviously not made it through QA and that wasn't available as a spare part for over a week.

The engine is also horrible and so is the gearbox.