Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

Nevermind, just got Poke Pelago and Rainbow beans aren't as rare as I thought they'd be.

Prior to Pelago, I stopped by the pokémon center for my daily beans, since feeding your pokémon can get you several rare candies by the time you leave the first island (unless you blaze through the first island in ~3/4 hours in a single play session)

It's great, even if it trivializes the game even more than it already is

"Oh look, a level 20 Totem pokémon. Sure would suck if my pokémon weren't level 35."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

lol if you open packs for cards

does pokemon have draft or sealed?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

mandatory lesbian posted:

does pokemon have draft or sealed?

Prereleases are sealed stuff, 6 packs and boy was it never fun pulling a Charizard without any copies of Charmander to use it with. Now the prerelease kits come with some preselected evolution lines to start basing a deck around, packs are still a crap shoot for lines.

Drafts, some prerelease events used to hold them but I haven't seen one run in years.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was really into Magic: the Gathering back in middle school, and I remember looking down on the kids who played the Pokémon CCG, lol. I was too cool and mature for Pokémon until I graduated high school.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the card game is the one aspect of the series i never got into, yugioh kinda filled that niche for me and most kids i knew

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rollersnake posted:

I was really into Magic: the Gathering back in middle school, and I remember looking down on the kids who played the Pokémon CCG, lol. I was too cool and mature for Pokémon until I graduated high school.

this is me except we didn't play magic we only played video games

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was so into the pokemon tcg that a friend and i would call each other on the phone in middle school and play against each other on the honor system and narrate what we did on our turns + kept notes of the other person's board state

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i was so into the pokemon tcg that a friend and i would call each other on the phone in middle school and play against each other on the honor system and narrate what we did on our turns + kept notes of the other person's board state

This is awesome

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Raserys posted:

the card game is the one aspect of the series i never got into, yugioh kinda filled that niche for me and most kids i knew

If the card game wasn't even a thing then Yugioh would have never caught on in the states

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My husband and I haven't bought many new cards in a while, but we'll sometimes go out to the pub with our decks and spend an evening playing together. Pretty much every time we do so, at least one person comes up to us and says it's awesome.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I read something about legendaries you haven't caught respawning everytime you beat the Elite 4? Should I just KO any story legendaries/ultra beasts and save catching them for later when I have a stronger team then?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

theres not really any point waiting, any legendaries you face that are forced encounters usually don't have particularly low catch rates

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Crossposting from PYF Macros & Memes

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/992478338634706944

Did not feature Loudred tho, I rate it 7/10.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god I love Golisopod but Emergency Exit is the worst. I guess I can pretty much never use him against wild Pokémon then.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dizz posted:

why would I want cards that some other nasty person touched? keep ur cooties to urself

realtalk: When I was 13 and blowing all of my paper route money on Pokémon cards, I would lament over not pulling whatever rares that I wanted when I bought packs. The store owner told me that it would be better if I spent the same amount of money I do on packs pulling nothing that I wanted on singles instead because I would have to spend way more money in packs to get what I wanted. So I did and I learned how to settle without having foil editions of cards and I eventually had most of the cards that I wanted.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody post their most successful Battle Tree teams!

I would like to steal these ready-made goombas and rickroll whatever poor sap that gets in my way :black101:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember the third but I had a very good time with Alolan Ninetales and Toxapex in the AI partner mode. I'd open with Aurora Veil, Nasty Plot and blast away with Moonblast/Blizzard while my usually dumb partner manages to get a Shell Smash off with Barbaracle. Toxapex was a nuclear option because it would take 40 turns but you will always win against the stupid setup-heavy AI if you have Haze.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

realtalk: When I was 13 and blowing all of my paper route money on Pokémon cards, I would lament over not pulling whatever rares that I wanted when I bought packs. The store owner told me that it would be better if I spent the same amount of money I do on packs pulling nothing that I wanted on singles instead because I would have to spend way more money in packs to get what I wanted. So I did and I learned how to settle without having foil editions of cards and I eventually had most of the cards that I wanted.

I have to appreciate that a store owner would actually give this advice to a kid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DizzyBum posted:

I have to appreciate that a store owner would actually give this advice to a kid.

Hobby shops make their money off of singles and stuff like tournament entrance fees and snacks

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Star Man posted:

Yeah, but I also want to complete this set, so getting a booster box helped with getting a good majority of commons, uncommons, and rares/foils.

Later i will check what I'm missing and see how much it would cost. I'm gonna guess that everything after the initial set will cost me a lot since it's all extremely rare.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unless a card has a lot of tournament play, most of them are going to be pretty cheap. In Magic, you can buy a playset of commons and uncommons for each expansion for $40-$45 as they release.

Buy singles. Opening packs is fun, but buy singles.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I looked up a card in the new set and made the most obvious joke ever.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Star Man posted:

Hah, yeah, maxmoefoe beat you to it. What a timeless scene.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

that ivy guy posted:

Hah, yeah, maxmoefoe beat you to it. What a timeless scene.

I don't even know who that is, but that's just how easy that reference is to make.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its an easy reference to make since, ya know, the original card is a reference to it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Well it took them twenty years to make that reference :colbert:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Star Man posted:

0/10 not the Metal Drying Pan

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Have you guys heard of this "Gorochu"?

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/03/pikachu-originally-second-evolution-called-gorochu-large-fangs-two-horns/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Tough looking monsters like Lapras and Snorlax?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Raserys posted:

Tough looking monsters like Lapras and Snorlax?

Lapras looked pretty tough in its gen I art.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

Lapras looked pretty tough in its gen I art.

A lot of the original 150 looked like mean fuckers in their original art

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lotta narrow black eyes, which eventually turned into big doofy eyes around Gen IV

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TheKingofSprings posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don't appreciate all the Diglett bullying in those pictures

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

When deciding on what moves to give my pokemon I've been sticking with ones that do damage and discarding any that boost/reduce stats or give status effects (though I do have one pokemon that I'm keeping sleep on.) Is this a good idea or am I missing out not giving my pokemon a move that reduces defence or something?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they're called Carddass i guess and some of them are buck wild

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Dang I found my new avatar.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A lot of the early Pokemon were just created as their sprites first, so it meant they couldn't have a huge amount of detail like they do now, especially with their eyes, since circles were a nightmare when you only had, like, eight pixels to work with for that section. And of course these were the Red and Green sprites, not the Blue ones, so they were definitely "intimidating".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Mewtwo one took the cake, he never looked better than how they portrayed that tumor cat sin-against-god

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 6, 2018