Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

They said that Unicorn 2 was supposed to have an overseas drama format, by which they meant hour long episodes released weekly. If that's what they're sticking with, it's not going to be 50 episodes long.

Well I have no idea, then. I don't even know what overseas dama is supposed to mean, is that some specific genre for Japanese shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

unicorn 2 is never going to happen it's the era of hathaway babyyyyyyyyyyy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Well I have no idea, then. I don't even know what overseas dama is supposed to mean, is that some specific genre for Japanese shows?

An overseas drama is a dramatic television series produced outside of Japan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

An overseas drama is a dramatic television series produced outside of Japan

How does that work for Gundam, though? Last time an "overseas drama" happened in the way you described was probably G Saviour.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're taking the format. Eight to Thirteen hour long episodes in a season. E.g. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As long as they don't take the format to the degree where you end every episode on a goddamn cliffhanger like Netflix.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In Japan, "drama" is used to refer to a serialized live action TV show regardless of genre or tone.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Star trek TNG is an overseas Drama

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so it'll be exactly like unicorn 1 but with only a week between episode releases

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd hope they've give themselves enough run up time to animate hour long episodes to release weekly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's going to have to be set post UC100 (beyond that being their stated plan). I just don't see a lot of space in the continuity for another full blown 26-50 ep series set in the classic window short of creating UCA and running with Thunderbolt esque side stories that are twists or subversions on UC settings.

My concern for that is it seems like UC 100+ gets really loving weird.

Comedy option: Full length series about the godawful Mars Zeon stuff.

Bergh Scred will have his day!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Post Victory feudal colony states. This is the path Gundam must choose

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's going to have to be set post UC100 (beyond that being their stated plan). I just don't see a lot of space in the continuity for another full blown 26-50 ep series set in the classic window short of creating UCA and running with Thunderbolt esque side stories that are twists or subversions on UC settings.

My concern for that is it seems like UC 100+ gets really loving weird.

I've been thinking this for years, but if they want to keep doing stuff post-UC100, they'll pretty much need to scrap all the side material between Hathaway and F91. You could easily make a convincing animation bridging any gaps between Hathaway-F91-Victory if you're willing to sacrifice whatever was crammed in there before. I don't know Bandai or their fan's appetite for it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I'm sure they have no appetite to gently caress with F91 or Victory though, unless ANT somehow was better received than I was lead to believe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd hope they've give themselves enough run up time to animate hour long episodes to release weekly.

hopefully the idea is the whole show will be finished before the first episode release and the weekly releases are just a way of maintaining fan discussion space inertia.

Warmachine posted:

I've been thinking this for years, but if they want to keep doing stuff post-UC100, they'll pretty much need to scrap all the side material between Hathaway and F91. You could easily make a convincing animation bridging any gaps between Hathaway-F91-Victory if you're willing to sacrifice whatever was crammed in there before. I don't know Bandai or their fan's appetite for it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I'm sure they have no appetite to gently caress with F91 or Victory though, unless ANT somehow was better received than I was lead to believe.

Clearly what we need is f91: the origin

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Oh they need to try and they will, but if they follow what is established already and stick to it... :sweatdrop:

e: basically warmachine has it right imo, as long as they're willing to scrap a lot of the produced material for that era already they can probably do some cool stuff

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Post Victory feudal colony states. This is the path Gundam must choose

It did choose that, but unfortunately, it put the Crossbone guy on the job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't the Warring States Gundam thing get rolled into its own AU rather than making it a Universal Century thing?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Didn't the Warring States Gundam thing get rolled into its own AU rather than making it a Universal Century thing?
There is a samurai-themed AU manga, Gundam Burai, which might have warring states Japan stuff going on, I've not read it, but the post-Victory Crossbones that do the "warring states space colonies" thing (Dust and X-11) are as UC as ever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

unicorn 2 is never going to happen it's the era of hathaway babyyyyyyyyyyy

I doubt it, if only because as popular as the first Hathaway film was, Gundam Unicorn is one of the best selling anime ever made. It generated more in sales for home media than Gundam SEED or Gundam SEED: Destiny despite having less volumes, and there's been a metric gently caress ton of gunpla for it; so it's likely no slouch in that department either. There's probably a reason it got a full statue after all, even before anything from CE. They're going to want to capitalize on that at some point, though the heat on it has certainly died down at least a bit in the decade since. Still, if CE can get a film 20+ years later, UC will probably get something eventually too. Gundam NT was basically just setup for a Unicorn sequel too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

first Wearwolf art dropped

paul, you is a wear wolf

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Post-Victory Warring States and fall of the Federation would be fantastic to explore. The concept itself could prop it up with early-UC levels of content density. But I don't think the powers that be have the stomach to put that together in a cohesive way. The franchise is a bit too committed to a two-sides narrative, when a Warring States story needs 3+ groups to sell the chaos of the setting, in my opinion.

(No, SEED doesn't count. Orb is just an extension of the protagonist characters.)

fake edit: Give me Gundam of Thrones (at least the early seasons) with a bucket of distinct nation-states all jockeying to sit on the corpse of the collapsed and balkanized Federation set in UC184 or something I dunno.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 27, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

paul, you is a wear wolf

But is he a swear wolf?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I'm 2 episodes away from finishing IBO and holy poo poo it is bleak. How did people react to this in real time because the second half of the season just seems to be cruel for cruelty's sake, especially Lafter's death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering what a psychological mess I've been watching G Witch live I'd have probably blown a blood vessel trying to watch IBO as it was airing.

I think the first Gundam I watched as it was airing was probably Origin? And then the Thunderbolt ONAs, but by then I was pretty well versed in the way UC shows tend to go so I was able to vibe with them pretty well. But the beauty thing about the individual timelines is that they can go their in own directions and throw you for a loop.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Adun posted:

I'm 2 episodes away from finishing IBO and holy poo poo it is bleak. How did people react to this in real time because the second half of the season just seems to be cruel for cruelty's sake, especially Lafter's death.

There was a lot of crow eating because one of the biggest complaints about IBO S1 was the pulled punches at the end(presumably to set up for a now-greenlit S2).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I loved IBO but I really felt Lafter's death was tough. Felt very predictable and on the nose.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Separately I’ve now watched 00 and IBO and want to try to get into the UC shows. What’s the best way to start? Is it with the Gundam movies or the actual show itself? Crunchyroll has the original series and Netflix has the movies so it all feels pretty separate

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Watch the show, and you can check out the movies sometime after for the updated animation.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

IBO’s second season stumbles in places but the ending is fantastic.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adun posted:

Separately I’ve now watched 00 and IBO and want to try to get into the UC shows. What’s the best way to start? Is it with the Gundam movies or the actual show itself? Crunchyroll has the original series and Netflix has the movies so it all feels pretty separate

if you just want to get into UC: the movies are perfectly good and much much faster

if you want to engage with it as a work of art instead of a historical/franchise curiosity: watch the tv show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I watched the movies first just to get my foot in the UC door, then watched the full series a bit later after that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I watched the movies first just to get my foot in the UC door, then watched the full series a bit later after that.

I read the Origin manga, then saw the movies, then saw the original show. Every time gave me more appreciation for the callbacks in other shows and games.

As for Iron Blooded Orphans, we had a thread for season 2 if you want to see realtime reactions.

One of the things I remember being most surprised by at the time (along with a lot of other people) was how many death flags Takaki summoned and survived. If he's playable in the next SRW, I all-but-demand he gets "abnormal survivor" as a personal skill.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doan's is available for streaming today

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh nice, I'll have to check it out, see if the dub is as good as the rest of NYAV's Origin work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

haypliss posted:

Watch the show, and you can check out the movies sometime after for the updated animation.

Waffleman_ posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

I read the Origin manga, then saw the movies, then saw the original show. Every time gave me more appreciation for the callbacks in other shows and games.

Maybe people say Gundam is hard to get into because there are so many different good ways to get into it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maximum efficiency option: watch this video and then watch whatever you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYngLhzP6Ng

There's no right or wrong way to start watching Gundam shows. The majority of them range from average to good and most can be picked up without prior knowledge.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 27, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Maximum efficiency option: watch this video and then watch whatever you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYngLhzP6Ng

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did anyone in here see doan's island when it released previously? does it at all work for someone who has no UC gundam experience?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ninjewtsu posted:

did anyone in here see doan's island when it released previously? does it at all work for someone who has no UC gundam experience?

You need basic familiarity with mecha (why are children fighting a war with robots?) but not with UC specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/rgmimic79/status/1651597700805332993