Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

My fiancee surprised me with a gift of plane tickets to Hong Kong for next month, so she and I will be traveling there for 4 days/3 nights. Can anyone give any advice on where to stay (budget of about US$150/night) and what to do while there? How much money should we bring for the 4 days? Any recommended restaurants to eat at? We'll eat almost anything, but we definitely have to get some Dim Sum while there.

Pretty much the only thing that my fiancee requested that we do for one of the days is to go to one of the theme parks; I read a few pages back that Ocean Park is much better than HK Disney, so that's where we're probably going to go. Is there an easy way to get there via public transport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Ocean Park has cheap, direct buses from Admiralty station, which is the heart of the city's financial district and easily accessible from anywhere.

You should try staying in Tsim Sha Tsui or Admiralty/Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay are good second-tier choices. Restaurant recommendations depend on your budget and tastes.

I'll be back in HK by then (arriving the evening of April 17th), so I'll most likely be available to play guide if caberham is burned out on goonhosting.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Arakan posted:

Have you considered the problem may be that you're a grown rear end man obsessed with animes, figurines, and skateboarding?

Being an rear end man is bad? Do only leg and/or boob men succeed in romance?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

ihatepants posted:

My fiancee surprised me with a gift of plane tickets to Hong Kong for next month, so she and I will be traveling there for 4 days/3 nights. Can anyone give any advice on where to stay (budget of about US$150/night) and what to do while there? How much money should we bring for the 4 days? Any recommended restaurants to eat at? We'll eat almost anything, but we definitely have to get some Dim Sum while there.

Pretty much the only thing that my fiancee requested that we do for one of the days is to go to one of the theme parks; I read a few pages back that Ocean Park is much better than HK Disney, so that's where we're probably going to go. Is there an easy way to get there via public transport?

Hotel: http://mobile.wotif.com/#!/hotels/W2115

Hey people who do you get your cheap flights with? Want to surprise someone with a flight out for a long weekend from Beijing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In China, only the leg men succeed.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Jeoh posted:

In China, only the leg men succeed.

It's a numbers game, really.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Four of the girls I was with in China had huge nice boobs. I think I was just really lucky.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cuatal posted:

Four of the girls I was with in China had huge nice boobs. I think I was just really lucky.

My girlfriend says hers are too big, but I think that's just a symptom of her being ashamed of being fat even though she's literally about average for her BMI.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

computer parts posted:

My girlfriend says hers are too big, but I think that's just a symptom of her being ashamed of being fat even though she's literally about average for her BMI.

How big is too big?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh a visitor, that's rare. For your budget stay here - Bishop Lei International House. It's not too expensive and is an actual hotel. Guest houses are more for the budget slumming back packing crowd.

ihatepants posted:

My fiancee surprised me with a gift of plane tickets to Hong Kong for next month, so she and I will be traveling there for 4 days/3 nights. Can anyone give any advice on where to stay (budget of about US$150/night) and what to do while there?

You can check out the OP :ohdear: But HK is nice, we have a good mix of culture (history museum, villages, cage homes), food (everywhere), nature (island hopping and hikes), and city stuff. It really depends on what you are looking for.

quote:

How much money should we bring for the 4 days? Any recommended restaurants to eat at? We'll eat almost anything, but we definitely have to get some Dim Sum while there.

How much money do you have? Hong Kong can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you want top of the world, balls to the walls good dimsum go to Fook Lam Moon - for 2 people, prepare to spend 120 USD on lunch. Dinner is even more expensive. Not cheap, but the food is good.

As for other kinds of restaurants? We have good Cantonese food, great wonton noodles, but bad Non Cantonese Chinese food. Amazing sushi, decent beer bars and burgers and lots of big name steak houses. If you are not based in East Asia, go nuts with Japanese Ramen, sushi, legit Thai food at the Thai quarter and a few solid Indian/Pakistani/Nepal places. Vietnamese food here is weird though.

Then there's Macau. Great French Restaurant at Robuchon, Italian at Don Alfonso, and Goons with spoons Chef DontAskKant approved Portugese. They make bitching sangrias.

Oh and there's the racetrack :allears: Everyone has to visit the racetrack.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Oh a visitor, that's rare. For your budget stay here - Bishop Lei International House. It's not too expensive and is an actual hotel. Guest houses are more for the budget slumming back packing crowd.

You can check out the OP :ohdear: But HK is nice, we have a good mix of culture (history museum, villages, cage homes), food (everywhere), nature (island hopping and hikes), and city stuff. It really depends on what you are looking for.

How much money do you have? Hong Kong can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you want top of the world, balls to the walls good dimsum go to Fook Lam Moon - for 2 people, prepare to spend 120 USD on lunch. Dinner is even more expensive. Not cheap, but the food is good.

As for other kinds of restaurants? We have good Cantonese food, great wonton noodles, but bad Non Cantonese Chinese food. Amazing sushi, decent beer bars and burgers and lots of big name steak houses. If you are not based in East Asia, go nuts with Japanese Ramen, sushi, legit Thai food at the Thai quarter and a few solid Indian/Pakistani/Nepal places. Vietnamese food here is weird though.

Then there's Macau. Great French Restaurant at Robuchon, Italian at Don Alfonso, and Goons with spoons Chef DontAskKant approved Portugese. They make bitching sangrias.

Oh and there's the racetrack :allears: Everyone has to visit the racetrack.

I can second the Bishop Lei International House. We stayed there on caberham's recommendation and really liked it. I don't remember the exact price since the office paid for it, but I recall it not being expensive at all.

What's the dim sum place you took us to, caberham? I really liked the food there.

Also second the racetrack in Macau. It's worth it just to see. Like wow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cuatal posted:

How big is too big?

36B (US system) I think? But she's also like 157cm tall which is kind of short.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

computer parts posted:

36B (US system) I think? But she's also like 157cm tall which is kind of short.

Wuuut, 36B is too big?!!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

B cups! Oh, the shame!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

B cups! Oh, the shame!

I wasn't complaining :shobon:, she just has weird worries sometimes, though not really that far out of line.

I know she's rather Americanized but I wonder if women in general in China have similar worries/desires/etc as their American counterparts. I know the light skin/dark skin thing is a divide of sorts, though.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
"MY EYES ARE TOO SMALL!" is the most absurd thing I have ever had to reassure someone about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One student of mine has a little fork she uses to push on her eyelids. It's freaky.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
that's the double eyelid fork

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Arglebargle III posted:

One student of mine has a little fork she uses to push on her eyelids. It's freaky.

Uh this is normal

e: I bet you don't even use an eardrum knife

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
My wife puts little slivers of 3m bandage tape on her eyelids to give them the double eye lid effect. I don't get it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beauty is all about judging people over imperceptible minutiae. Also there is only one possible form of beauty and if you do not match it precisely you are a failure.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

My wife puts little slivers of 3m bandage tape on her eyelids to give them the double eye lid effect. I don't get it.

I've always been confused about which is double and which is single.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had no idea what they were talking about for the longest time. When I heard double eyelids the only thing I could connect it to was like the inner protective eyelid sharks have to keep blood from spraying into them.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

TheBuilder posted:

My wife does that too. I try to tell her that I can see the tape and that doesn't make her look prettier, but then :effort:

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Greetings from Taiwan!

I am headed to Hong Kong and Macau for around a week vacation next month. I have no clue how expensive it's going to be, so I'm trying to gather some intel before deciding on length of stay. I've seen some good information on the last page or two about areas to stay, but I had a few additional questions.

1) Macau hotel recommendations: I like to play baccarat, but some of the hotels I've seen have astronomical prices. I'm willing to throw down some HKD on the tables, but is there anywhere reasonable to stay that's worth checking out? Maybe around US$200-300/night? Probably looking at one or two nights here. Also besides the racetrack I saw posted, anything I should go out of my way to look for?

2) How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a Tourist Visa to the mainland while I'm in Hong Kong, and what are the turnaround times? I'm looking into visiting my buddy in Shenzhen for a day or two, which I hear isn't that far of a trip, but wanted to know if this was possible to do on the spot. I don't want to be without my passport for too long, as I'll need it to check in to my hotels both in HK and Macau I'm assuming. I can't mail my passport off ahead of time to get this done, as it's currently somewhere in Taipei being used to renew my Resident Card.

3) I'm going solo, and although I have a friend there, he's super busy working all the time and I'm not sure how much I'm gonna get to see him. I'd like to meet up with a goon or two to shoot the poo poo and get some recommendations on stuff to do and things to eat. I live in a really small city in southern Taiwan, so eating a variety of good food is one of my top priorities.

Thanks guys.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

lokk posted:

2) How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a Tourist Visa to the mainland while I'm in Hong Kong, and what are the turnaround times? I'm looking into visiting my buddy in Shenzhen for a day or two, which I hear isn't that far of a trip, but wanted to know if this was possible to do on the spot. I don't want to be without my passport for too long, as I'll need it to check in to my hotels both in HK and Macau I'm assuming. I can't mail my passport off ahead of time to get this done, as it's currently somewhere in Taipei being used to renew my Resident Card.
This depends a lot on your nationality and how nice the people at the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region are feeling at that particular point in time.

lokk posted:

3) I'm going solo, and although I have a friend there, he's super busy working all the time and I'm not sure how much I'm gonna get to see him. I'd like to meet up with a goon or two to shoot the poo poo and get some recommendations on stuff to do and things to eat. I live in a really small city in southern Taiwan, so eating a variety of good food is one of my top priorities.
There are plenty of Hong Kong goons who like meeting up and eating things, so that won't be a problem. I myself am fat.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Bought my tickets to Shanghai. Had planned on going through Tokyo and staying there a night or two but time wouldn't allow. Current plan is to hang in Shanghai for a week and then visit Szechuan/Chengdu, Beijing, and hopefully Tibet.

Pretty excited.

simplefish posted:

Kentucky Fried China: Finger Lickin' Good

Get you some of that New Orleans BBQ

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 9, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you want to go to Tibet start researching now. Going to Tibet is a giant clusterfuck of bureaucracy for anyone who isn't a Chinese.

Basically once you're in Chengdu or Chongqing, you gotta apply for a special "go to tibet" paper. There are generally two ways to obtain this:

1. The 100% wholly legal way by signing up for a massively overpriced group tour (all foreign tourists are technically supposed to be part of a group tour to enter Tibet)
2. Finding an agency and signing up for a "group tour" which might not include a tour guide or any other people, this is still pretty overpriced.

That will only get you to Lhasa, though.

Once you get to Lhasa, if you want to go anywhere but a couple of State Approved AAAAAA Tourist Destinations in Lhasa's direct vicinity, you have to apply for another special paper which will allow you to go to other parts of Tibet. This includes stuff like Mt. Everest.

This second paper is again obtained by either signing up with a tour group or paying someone off.

As far as I know, no one's ever been found and deported on not exactly legal papers in TIbet as long as they weren't doing anything like inciting rebellion, so it's relatively safe.

Also one last thing is like any minor thing that happens in Tibet might end up with all foreigners being barred from entering or doing anything but going to Lhasa.

Tibet's cool though. You can also usually go to Western Sichuan and Qinghai which is theoretically more Tibetan in a lot of ways and certainly has more temples and stuff that are active and not tourists traps with none of the above issues, so that's something else to consider.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Wife and Father in Law are Chinese.

My Father in Law has connections of some sort and is a member of the bureaucracy. We told him about wanting to go to Tibet and asked him what, if anything, we needed to do and he said we didn't have anything to worry about. He and her mom went when mom in law returned home from visiting us and took lots of great pictures.

So I got that going for me.

I'm mainly really interested in Sichuan and plan on putting on some serious weight while there.

But thanks for the heads up!

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 10, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Are you sure it's not just something like he has no idea because he's not a foreigner?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah one thing I have learned from this thread is not to ask citizens about their countries' visa laws because they have no idea.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

Are you sure it's not just something like he has no idea because he's not a foreigner?

Yeah this is what it is.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised, though I also won't be heartbroken.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I still need to head over to Taiwan some time this year. Flights are more expensive than I thought (somehow they cost around the same or more as the considerably further flights to Hong Kong or Hainan) and with leave being such a premium I might just have to arrive Friday night and return Sunday night.

That said, how late do the fast trains on the east coast operate if I want to get straight out of Taipei and down to the southeast tip of the island?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wife and Father in Law are Chinese.

My Father in Law has connections of some sort and is a member of the bureaucracy. We told him about wanting to go to Tibet and asked him what, if anything, we needed to do and he said we didn't have anything to worry about. He and her mom went when mom in law returned home from visiting us and took lots of great pictures.

So I got that going for me.

I'm mainly really interested in Sichuan and plan on putting on some serious weight while there.

But thanks for the heads up!

But Tibet is part of China and I'm Chinese, of course I can go there! He'll be upset when he finds that he's wrong and then needs to grease some palms or call in a couple favors to get his paperwork done quickly.

Zuhzuhzombie, if you're a foreigner you most definitely need to jump through the hoops to go to Tibet.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, I'll talk to the wife about it definitely.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Papers?!?! Why do I need any papers? Tibet has always been a part of china and I have a Chinese visa so why do I need papers to move around inside China?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

systran posted:

Papers?!?! Why do I need any papers? Tibet has always been a part of china and I have a Chinese visa so why do I need papers to move around inside China?

:shrug:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

systran posted:

Same reason you can't just move around Taiwan, HK, Macau or any other place that has always belonged to China. although you probably can easily go to the first 3 since they give visas on arrival to whiteys like us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorebane
Mar 14, 2014

Oats, hay, fear! The power of the Tri-Horse!
I am located in Tianjin. If you could be a peach and put that in the OP, that'd be super.