Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Teddy Roosevelt: An unsuccessful Virus Safari that tragically ends in the death of his favorite offspring
Al Smith: Piles of dead immigrants clog the storm drains of New York
FDR: Full Communism (but don't call it that)
Rockefeller: An actual abattoir to appease the blood god, but built monumentally on top of a former black neighborhood
Mario Cuomo: see: Andrew Cuomo
George Pataki: see: Mario Cuomo
Andrew Cuomo: see: Al Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Al Smith: Piles of dead immigrants clog the storm drains of New York

What's with the Al Smith hate?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessemckinley/status/1240017393331638274?ref_url=http%3a%2f%2fforums.somethingawful.com%2f

laughing cuomo head pops up on all bdb's computers. "ah ah ah, you didnt say the magic word"

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
DiBlasio shouldn't talk without daddy's permission

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
de blasio getting publicly emasculated is possibly the only silver lining here

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's with the Al Smith hate?

Al Smith was one of the worst flavors of people imaginable - an anti-new deal Democrat.

Truly worthless

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

de blasio getting publicly emasculated is possibly the only silver lining here

cuomos been breaking his balls for years its just now hes doing it to save the city from an idiot not to stall on poo poo like mta funding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

Al Smith was one of the worst flavors of people imaginable - an anti-new deal Democrat.

Truly worthless

Didn't he promote New Deal-like policies in New York, though? I thought he was anti-New Deal solely because of sour grapes over never becoming a Governor-President himself.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Real hurthling! posted:

cuomos been breaking his balls for years its just now hes doing it to save the city from an idiot not to stall on poo poo like mta funding

true but it's rarely this direct

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

getting cuomowned

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1240798215663955968

So he wants members of a high risk population for this disease to get extra exposed to it for a short-term potential influx of workers?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1240798215663955968

So he wants members of a high risk population for this disease to get extra exposed to it for a short-term potential influx of workers?

its voluntary win win look busy poo poo
retirees stay home and he looks busy

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Real hurthling! posted:

its voluntary win win look busy poo poo
retirees stay home and he looks busy

Supposedly they got 1000 signups right away so :toot:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
this Fuckface is not going to save us

https://twitter.com/fritolaysia/status/1242151014221873152

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I feel like there are a few necromancers who could come up with a compromise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel like there are a few necromancers who could come up with a compromise.

move all old people to isolation domes on the bottom of lake champlain and restart the nyse

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:barf:

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1242240239793516544

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

first worthless corrupt lib guy to realize he cant run his state like a death cult in the face of a actual disaster gets the courageous leader profiles

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

first worthless corrupt lib guy to realize he cant run his state like a death cult in the face of a actual disaster gets the courageous leader profiles

Lots of girls/women get :swoon:y with serial killers (see Ayn Rand and William Edward Hickman, for example).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh those links are actual romantic crushes? i thought it was policy wonkery

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There are a lot of people out there who find authoritarianism comforting, it's why it works.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Authoritarianism is good when the authority is good

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Feds probably cyberattacked the Cuomo presser today because he got too up in federal face asking for aid.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this isn’t politics per se, but anyone file for unemployment using the NYS website? I think I did everything I’m supposed to, but there are more instructions that don’t match up with the options I have on the website

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this isn’t politics per se, but anyone file for unemployment using the NYS website? I think I did everything I’m supposed to, but there are more instructions that don’t match up with the options I have on the website

yeah but I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I can say to be as accurate as you can. my gf accidentally said she had one job instead of two and now she has to call in to talk to someone. it’s been a week of unsuccessful attempts to get through.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Without the level of detail that could come back to me: City government is in complete shambles right now, for over a week I was getting mutually exclusive orders from the governor, the mayor, and several people above me in the chain of command. Every office is either trying to pretend there's no problem, or is completely paralyzed.

It has been an amazing demonstration that the theory that the bureaucracy acts with any unified will is completely wrong.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The site is absolute dogshit. It probably hasn't been updated in 20 years. Site completely fails while halfway filled out. Phone is no better. lol gently caress NY. :waycool:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Radirot posted:

The site is absolute dogshit. It probably hasn't been updated in 20 years. Site completely fails while halfway filled out. Phone is no better. lol gently caress NY. :waycool:

that’s just from the overload. I’ve done a whole claim and everything from my iPad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah, i had no problem with safari.

I just had to wait until this morning to actually claim the benefit. seems to have worked? now money appears in my bank account??? guess I’ll wait and see

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah, i had no problem with safari.

I just had to wait until this morning to actually claim the benefit. seems to have worked? now money appears in my bank account??? guess I’ll wait and see

so you filed the claim, great!

now you go to “claim your benefits” and fill out the boxes that said that you didn’t earn more than $420 last week. if you did, the next time you can claim (for this week) is Sunday (and def do it on Sunday because people new to this assume you have to wait until Monday)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah, that’s what I did, I’m not being very clear. having never gone through this process, it’s hard to describe. thanks for the help

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah, that’s what I did, I’m not being very clear. having never gone through this process, it’s hard to describe. thanks for the help

cool, I’ve been walking a lot of (lucky) first-timers through the process. direct deposit hits a couple days after you claim weekly

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my manager was telling everyone in late February to start filing for unemployment because he wasn’t completely oblivious to the writing on the wall in 1000pt neon text, unlike 99% of hospitality managers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my manager was telling everyone in late February to start filing for unemployment because he wasn’t completely oblivious to the writing on the wall in 1000pt neon text, unlike 99% of hospitality managers

while they were still employed? I don’t think that’s possible.

meanwhile my gf still hasn’t gotten through on the phone and is missing a week of benefits now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Snowy posted:

while they were still employed? I don’t think that’s possible.

meanwhile my gf still hasn’t gotten through on the phone and is missing a week of benefits now.

it was the first week of serious restaurant slowdowns and he said we could file due to lost wages and shift cuts, but 9 days later we were shut down completely so maybe he was just trying to tell us what the company knew but wasn’t saying

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/S8125/amendment/A?utm_source=ny_state_senate&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bill_alerts

dunno how much of a chance this has, but looks like a good bill: rent holiday for 90 days, no repayment, and a provision for landlords to get the same from a mortgage

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/03/29/queens-da-melinda-katz-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-1269538

Katz got the roni.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's some serious butter you got there, Jay S. Jacobs! I'm quoting the email version I got just now from the NYSDC mailing list.

quote:

Chairman Jay Jacobs shares his thoughts on the leadership of Governor Cuomo during this time of crisis in the Newsday Op-Ed Section.

The Cuomo leadership impact

By Jay Jacobs

The Siena Research Institute poll released Monday confirmed what many have been saying for the past two weeks: Andrew M. Cuomo, right now, is a hot commodity. Virtually, wherever you go, people want Cuomo for president — not in 2024, but today.

As a “Draft Cuomo 2020” account popped on Twitter, the governor has made it clear, most recently on his brother Chris’ news show, that he is not running for president. So, why is Cuomo’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak creating such a political paradigm shift? What is the shelf-life of his dramatic rise in popularity? And, how long can it last, and where could it take him?

Americans are starving for leadership. The example set by President Donald Trump makes that hunger even more acute. All of a sudden, experience is no longer a bad word. The “establishment” is what is mobilizing to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. And, many voters have a newfound respect and appreciation for government. Say what you want about Cuomo, but he has spent his career as a part of that establishment, acquiring years of experience IN government.

This crisis hasn’t changed Cuomo. It has changed the public’s appetite for what Cuomo has always been: a strong, effective and competent leader. It seems that now, as happens in history from time to time, the man may have found his moment.

Eighty-seven percent of New Yorkers approve of Cuomo’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis. Seventy-one percent have an overall favorable impression of him. His popularity extends across all regions, religions, ethnicities, and age groups. Even an impressive 42% of Republicans favor him now. Popularity built on extraordinary leadership in times of crisis is not that unique. After the 9/11 attack, then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s approval rating reached 79%. Then-President George W. Bush’s popularity peaked at 92% after the attack, and was a steady 80% to 90% for four months before it began to plummet.

The question is how sustainable is Cuomo’s popularity and is it deep enough to last to his next reelection in 2022 or the next presidential race in 2024? I would argue that Cuomo’s newfound popularity is much deeper than that of either Mayor Giuliani or President Bush.

For one, this crisis is much more personal to each and every citizen. As horrendous and consequential the 9/11 attack was on America, that is just what it was — an attack on our nation and our city. While it was extremely personal to those who lost loved ones, for society as a whole, for the most part, the physical threat did not hit every member of that society. Bush’s and Giuliani’s popularity after 9/11 was built on admiration and national pride.

In the 9/11 attack, our emotions were built around “us.” In this crisis, it’s much closer to home — it’s about “me and mine.” Whether it is the fear of getting ill or dying, the fear for the well-being of loved ones, or the fear of financial hardship, this threat is way more personal. Many people trust that Cuomo will get them through and out of this ordeal, safe and secure. His popularity is built on that trust — a much deeper, enduring emotion than admiration.

Cuomo, like FDR during the Depression, trusted the public with the truth. In turn, they have grown to trust and rely on him in a deeply personal way. Through the use of empathy and compassion, Cuomo has personalized the crisis, articulating clearly his view that the value of life trumps economic or other considerations. For a populace both personally scared and uncertain, his words not only reassure, but they uplift and call us to a higher purpose. Cuomo’s leadership is not just strategic or tactical — it is moral. And, moral leadership, in times like these, builds a strong bond of trust between the leader and those he leads.

Bush depleted his 9/11 popularity by breaking faith with the bipartisan spirit born in the attack and wasted it over the hunt for weapons of mass destruction. Giuliani’s popularity faded in the transparency of his ambition tied to the successes that built his popularity in the first place.

No one can predict the future. Surely, Giuliani saw his very differently. For Cuomo, if he continues to lead New York with common sense, honesty and purpose, retaining the public trust he has earned, the future will take care of itself.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's some serious butter you got there, Jay S. Jacobs! I'm quoting the email version I got just now from the NYSDC mailing list.

I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
just a quick refresher on the present disaster that is our governor

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/covid-ny-hospital-medicaid/

quote:

Medicaid enrollment has been growing about 13 percent a year and is now a $70 billion program in the state. More than 6 million New Yorkers are on Medicaid, which has meant just 4.7 percent of the state is uninsured, a historic low.

The Affordable Care Act has boosted Medicaid enrollment in New York. Though Medicaid is a federal program that provides low-cost, comprehensive health care to the poor, the state still picks up almost half the costs, with county governments also bearing a small share.

Some of the budgetary abyss has been the Cuomo administration’s own making: postponing Medicaid payments and failing in the past to iron out inefficiencies like the state’s paying Medicaid costs for relatively wealthy, private hospitals that don’t need the aid in the first place. Despite his reputation as a big-government progressive, Cuomo has held to a self-imposed caps on state spending and property tax increases, putting additional strains on local governments trying to fund municipal services.

[...]

With the state budget for the next fiscal year due on April 1, Cuomo is proposing to gut Medicaid by $400 million, part of $2.5 billion in cuts he’s seeking over several years. So determined is Cuomo to slash Medicaid spending that he’s prepared to reject more than $6 billion in matching federal aid approved earlier this month because it would force him to alter his austerity strategy.

If Cuomo gets his way with the state budget, many of the city’s most besieged hospitals will lose money at a time when Covid-19 is threatening to crash New York’s health care system. Central Brooklyn hospitals, serving many of the borough’s working class and poor, could lose $38 million a year. Manhattan hospitals could lose up to $58 million a year.

“The virus is just one illustration of why it’s important to have a strong public health care system,” said Naomi Zewde, an assistant professor in the Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy at CUNY. “The proposal to cut funding to public hospitals during a pandemic reflects really poor decision-making.”

Cutting Medicaid has been a priority of Cuomo’s since he took office in 2011. In his first term, another Medicaid Redesign Team shrunk Medicaid reimbursements, damaging the financially fragile health care facilities that serve low-income patients. Hospitals, meanwhile, have been shutting their doors across the state. Part of this reflects a national trend toward consolidation and a movement to ambulatory and outpatient care, as well as the inflation of medical costs and a change in federal reimbursement formulas for Medicare and Medicaid.

What’s more, the state has lost more than 20,000 hospital beds over the last 20 years. Cuomo, who has governed for almost half that period, never advocated for any kind of expansion of hospital beds until last month; he now says New York needs 110,000 beds, more than double the current capacity. He has never been a forceful advocate for keeping hospitals open; in fact, he’s empowered bureaucrats who’ve argued aggressively to shutter them.