Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Marshawn Lynch ended his holdout today. No new contract, but they did guarantee his bonuses and escalators for an extra $1.5 million this year, plus waived his fines.

So that's the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Any update on if he's back to being just about that action, boss?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Void: North Florida Culture and Lifestyle

Wow, I'm not debating the accuracy but isn't that a bit harsh?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eifert Posting posted:

Actually if you read it top to bottom it's "North Florida Culture And Lifestyle Void"

Which is maybe worse?

For an alt-weekly it's pretty good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

If the name is actually referring to culture and lifestyle as a void then that magazine loving owns.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Lynch gonna walk into practice like he won but we really know it's like

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

drat that's a funny gif man

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Spoeank posted:

He's all about the assets boss

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

drat that's a funny gif man

drat that's a funny post man

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I guess Steve Gregory signed with Kansas City.
He's terrible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Please don't pretend that preseason is real football

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

Please explain why it isn't real football.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

It is for Brandon Weeden

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Generically relevant news from the Packers' training camp practice with Ed Hochuli. Flags being thrown on nearly every play due to the new interference rules:

quote:

@TomSilverstein
Officials (real ones are here) calling lots of PIs today. That's an emphasis for this year. They're going to call it much tighter this year

@SeifertESPN
No longer necessary to judge if WR has been materially affected by contact. Penalty regardless. Flag city, at least in preseason.

As .@ClaytonESPN has pointed out, biggest impact of rule emphasis could be on LBs covering TEs/RBs. Most grab b/c few can run w/ them.

So if you have a LB in coverage, he better be really fast. Otherwise, have to use a safety.

Not really sure we needed things to be easier on the passing game.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Don't be a dick, MV, this is the last football a lot of these guys will ever get to play.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Those rules are ostensibly to make the game ~More Exciting~ for spectators but I honestly have to wonder if it's going to backfire when it's so goddamn easy to make a pass that it loses all of its thrill.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

It is real football. It's hugely meaningful for 80% of NFL players. Just looking at the Bengals the preseason in 2012 was the difference between Roddrick Muckelroy or Vontaze Burfict (2013 leading tackler) making a pro roster.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Azhais posted:

Generically relevant news from the Packers' training camp practice with Ed Hochuli. Flags being thrown on nearly every play due to the new interference rules:

Not really sure we needed things to be easier on the passing game.

Fast linebackers you say?

Welcome to the Republican party Oakland :smug:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If there's anything fans like it's moar flags.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

any time McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson sees the field it's real fuckin football

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Da'Rell Scott once took a handoff like 80+ yards in the pre season. It Matters.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Eifert Posting posted:

If there's anything fans like it's moar flags.

I for one will relish the 80billion yards the Seahawks will be penalized for.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Even if it's not real, it's very likely the only time in 2014 you get to see all (and possibly any!) of Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles play.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

He's terrible.

He's serviceable

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

Please explain why it isn't real football.

it's really bad and boring and meaningless

Watching it is the equivalent of sitting down at a restaurant for dinner and then eating all the sugar packets because you're hungry and don't want to wait for the actual meal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MourningView posted:

Much like the Big 10 :downsowned:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah don't watch that either.

Chris James 2 posted:

Even if it's not real, it's very likely the only time in 2014 you get to see all (and possibly any!) of Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles play.

All of those dudes are going to start and play a bunch early.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Watching it is the equivalent of sitting down at a restaurant for dinner and then eating all the sugar packets because you're hungry and don't want to wait for the actual meal.

This is flat out a bad opinion. Maybe if your team is really, truly bad and there are no meaningful roster decisions to make I could see this but with most teams you have at least 8-10 positions in major flux and there's always the excitement of seeing the high pick rookies for the first time.

I can't imagine having zero interest in pre-season games.

As a Vikings fan, you seriously have no interest in seeing Barr, Bridgewater, and Zimmer for the first time?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I like watching the backup Patriots' QB's really blow.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Eifert Posting posted:

It's pretty great actually.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eifert Posting posted:

It is super boring to watch disorganized football that for 3/4 of the game or so is played by people who will mostly not matter.

It is weird that this offends you. I don't actually care, watch whatever. I just think it sucks.

Eifert Posting posted:

As a Vikings fan, you seriously have no interest in seeing Barr, Bridgewater, and Zimmer for the first time?

I am not a vikings fan but if I were I would interested in seeing them play games that actually mean something

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
If you guys aren't obsessed enough with football that you don't want to watch Terrelle Pryor and JFF skullfuck career backups then I don't know what to tell you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pyror is a buttface who could have gone to literally any college and decided to play for Jim Tressel. And JFF is going to own actual NFL players soon enough.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i cannot just sit back and let Tyrod Time be defiled

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
preseason is the only time I can watch SDSU players play in NFL games

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

That's actually the exact response I was setting him up for. :argh:

MourningView posted:

Every single player in the preseason games is better than almost every player on every college team in the country, so if skill and football playing ability is what you want then being a fan of college football is a bit illogical if you find the preseason to be a talent drought. As far as meaning goes, Eifert covered it. Just because these games don't count towards the regular season does not mean they can't be full of meaning, you're just looking in the wrong places. The preseason is riddled with the same story lines that make Hard Knocks so engrossing.

If you don't care about fringe players and rookies fighting for their careers then that's fine, I understand. However writing the preseason off as bad is just plain false by every metric of measurement you profess to caring about throughout this forum.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College games are more fun because the lower overall talent level lets good players look amazing and encourages teams to run a wider variety of wacky offenses and stuff that are really fun to watch. It works in its favor. Also they are actually playing for something, even if it's making a dumb bowl named after a chain restaurant, which is inherently more interesting than a game where the score means literally nothing. Pre-season is just boring. I don't care about watching teams practice.

I like that you think there is some argument lurking out there that's going to trap me and force me to like a thing I don't like. It's subjective. You can still watch the Hall of Fame game if you want.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 1, 2014

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
its boring because the end result does not matter, why is that so confusing or outrageous. Its like watching practice

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wanna watch the first Bengals preseason game now.

Pron on VHS posted:

its boring because the end result does not matter, why is that so confusing or outrageous. Its like watching practice

The end result does matter.

For example: The Bengals have no real kick returner right now. The preseason will reveal whether they have to trot out the corpse of Tate again.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
we are not all nerd losers taking notes on how a 3rd string safety backpedals

• Locked thread