Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The dick pill bird seems to be independently created, so there doesn’t seem to be a copyright case. As for trademark, Bird With Big Dick doesn’t seem to be using the image in connection with commerce of any kind, let alone the specific goods and services classes around dick pills, so no issue there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Muir posted:

The dick pill bird seems to be independently created, so there doesn’t seem to be a copyright case. As for trademark, Bird With Big Dick doesn’t seem to be using the image in connection with commerce of any kind, let alone the specific goods and services classes around dick pills, so no issue there either.

Even if the dick pill guys had seen his username and decided “ooh that’s a great image for our boner pills!” it would still not be a copyright issue. At most, BWBD could conceivably try to claim the phrase BWBD (though short phrases are not typically copyrightable so that’s an unlikely claim to start with); he doesn’t get to own the idea of birds with giant schlongs, only his particular expression of that idea.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You have experience in this sort of thing but you are giving irresponsible advice and shouldn’t do this. Just as an example, it’s not true that “Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years.”

It’s 2+ years in the vast majority of states. If I’d said it was always 2+ years I’d be wrong but i didn’t, and if this guy waited more than a full year before checking his state for himself or contacting a lawyer, I wouldn’t feel real bad about it because it would make that dude a complete moron which isn’t really my fault. But in case a complete moron happens to read it I will edit it to say usually 2+ years.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 22, 2024

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Kalman posted:

The linked page explains it: “Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse have until age 55 or seven years from the time that they became aware that their trauma is linked with financial harm (a process called “discovery”)”

why is this sexual assault showing up on my credit report

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EwokEntourage posted:

why is this sexual assault showing up on my credit report

Sucks, but it goes away after 7 years iirc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

or after you file for a moral bankruptcy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

or after you file for a moral bankruptcy

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I did a reverse image search on my local public school's mascot logo and found that pretty much every other school in the country with that mascot uses the exact same logo. I'm assuming it is some piece of clipart from decades ago. Lets say I live in Goonville and the logo is a hornet. If I were to start selling vinyl decals and T-shirts that said Goonville Hornets with the clipart logo on it, is there anything they can do about it?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Skunkduster posted:

I did a reverse image search on my local public school's mascot logo and found that pretty much every other school in the country with that mascot uses the exact same logo. I'm assuming it is some piece of clipart from decades ago. Lets say I live in Goonville and the logo is a hornet. If I were to start selling vinyl decals and T-shirts that said Goonville Hornets with the clipart logo on it, is there anything they can do about it?

Yes. As a matter of trademark, the mark itself doesn't have to be unique in the world to be used as a trademark associated with a particular category of goods and services. See Delta Faucet, Delta Air Lines, Delta Pens, Delta Electronics. You could start Delta T-Shirts and be fine, but you can't start an airline called Delta just because Delta is also used for all those other things. In your particular example, especially in conjunction with the word Goonville, the hornet logo could be a trademark in the categories of decals and t-shirts and the like. Trademarks can also be geographically bound.

Also, you don't have to register a trademark to have trademark rights (though it helps), you can have common law trademark rights.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Muir posted:

Yes. As a matter of trademark, the mark itself doesn't have to be unique in the world to be used as a trademark associated with a particular category of goods and services. See Delta Faucet, Delta Air Lines, Delta Pens, Delta Electronics. You could start Delta T-Shirts and be fine, but you can't start an airline called Delta just because Delta is also used for all those other things. In your particular example, especially in conjunction with the word Goonville, the hornet logo could be a trademark in the categories of decals and t-shirts and the like. Trademarks can also be geographically bound.

Also, you don't have to register a trademark to have trademark rights (though it helps), you can have common law trademark rights.

Okay, so if that is that case, I guess if I wanted to move forward with this, I should probably contact the school and get written permission to use the generic logo in conjunction with the name of the town and the word "hornets". Can a public school system grant exclusive rights for one company to market their materials, or is it like most government entities where they have to allow bids from multiple companies?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What's the next step if a company violates a settlement agreement that was reached via the state attorney general mediating the dispute?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Skunkduster posted:

You might consider the possibility that a uniform company owns the actual trademark. It could be that multiple schools licensed the trademark from the same uniform company as opposed to custom uniform logos. I'm pretty sure that's how the uniforms worked for my pop warner team and the license let us use it on programs and banners and stuff.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

You might consider the possibility that a uniform company owns the actual trademark. It could be that multiple schools licensed the trademark from the same uniform company as opposed to custom uniform logos. I'm pretty sure that's how the uniforms worked for my pop warner team and the license let us use it on programs and banners and stuff.

That's a possibility that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Skunkduster posted:

That's a possibility that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Hire a trademark lawyer to search out if there is a mark and who owns it, if you’re serious about this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Azuth0667 posted:

What's the next step if a company violates a settlement agreement that was reached via the state attorney general mediating the dispute?

Contact the state attorney general's office? NAL but feels like a reasonable first step if the AG had an interest in the situation.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Azuth0667 posted:

If you were a party to the mediation, and were represented, contact that lawyer. Also if you were a party and did not have a lawyer, go find a lawyer.

If you were not a party and want to enforce the mediated settlement somehow, contact a lawyer in whatever area of law you're talking about.

I know that's not super helpful but that's about all you're going to get in this thread. We can't give you granular advice. There are so many different things that you could be talking about with way, way too many factors for us to give you anything like a specific answer. Bring your documents to a lawyer and pay them to answer your questions.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Settlement is agreement as a contract like any other.

It's also not entirely certain that they agree with you on what you consider to be a breach.

For any breach of contract case where the amount in current controversy is sufficient to warrant it, my recommendation is always to meet with a lawyer. If you have a viable cause of action, there is typically a pre-suit demand requirement, there may be an attorney's fees. Recovery provision is result of the breach, and it may not be obvious on its face when, where and how to file suit about it and so a lawyer's guidance is strongly recommended.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
After my last comment i was able to secure a home! It's great.

Having said that, there's a provision in our lease we haven't quite gotten around to fulfilling yet, and i don't *suspect* it's enforceable or likely to be a big deal, I wanted to check.

"To insure there are no furniture indentations left in the floor coverings after vacating, Resident is required to place felt pads under furniture that is placed on hardwood and/or vinyl floors. Place plastic or similar casters under furniture placed on carpeted floors."

For one, having everything in the house roll around seems like a pain in the rear end. for two, for things like couches, i'm not even sure it's plausible to do this. for three, if something wasn't moved, it would still certainly leave an indentation in the carpet.

I'm guessing at worst this might make us lose our security deposit? But I wanted to check .

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Nea posted:

After my last comment i was able to secure a home! It's great.

Having said that, there's a provision in our lease we haven't quite gotten around to fulfilling yet, and i don't *suspect* it's enforceable or likely to be a big deal, I wanted to check.

"To insure there are no furniture indentations left in the floor coverings after vacating, Resident is required to place felt pads under furniture that is placed on hardwood and/or vinyl floors. Place plastic or similar casters under furniture placed on carpeted floors."

For one, having everything in the house roll around seems like a pain in the rear end. for two, for things like couches, i'm not even sure it's plausible to do this. for three, if something wasn't moved, it would still certainly leave an indentation in the carpet.

I'm guessing at worst this might make us lose our security deposit? But I wanted to check .

https://a.co/d/96UwQkF
I'm sure they mean something like that. Seems over the top to me, but could just be a huge pet peeve of the landlord. Also it is possible if damage (from another source I doubt indents in the floor would be enough) is great enough they can seek more than the security deposit.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
That makes a little more sense, but getting enough of those for all our furniture would be like, 200+ bucks and i don't have 200+ bucks right now to throw at it. Do people think it's like, an actual meaningful risk legally? I do have renter's insurance, which i believe would cover some of the damages if they did get ornery about it?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

q_k posted:

https://a.co/d/96UwQkF
I'm sure they mean something like that.
Those are rubber, poster said "felt" - the felt pads are like $10 for 150 of them, I use them on all the furniture in my house.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think this is probably just a use your best judgment situation.

Like I've got an antique bed that is on little tiny rear end wheels that would absolutely leave permanent dents in carpet, supporting hundreds of pounds with like 4 square inches of wheel surface, so putting some rubber pads under it is probably a good idea.

But I'm not gonna put felt pads under the TV stand that's on hard wood, because it just sits there, it ain't going to scratch anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you have like $40? that'll get you a hundred
https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Sliders-Hardwood-Quickly-Protect/dp/B099KP6798/

that's for stuff on the carpets.
To protect the hard floors, the felt things are super cheap
https://www.amazon.com/X-PROTECTOR-Premium-Furniture-QUANTITY-SIZES/dp/B076PMT91Z/
that's more than you'll ever need, for $18.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Nea posted:

That makes a little more sense, but getting enough of those for all our furniture would be like, 200+ bucks and i don't have 200+ bucks right now to throw at it. Do people think it's like, an actual meaningful risk legally? I do have renter's insurance, which i believe would cover some of the damages if they did get ornery about it?

Just go to Joann Fabrics and get a sheet of felt, cut as needed. https://www.joann.com/craft-felt-fabric-72-solids/868448.html

Take a photo and then in future you can truthfully say: "I complied with the requirement to use felt pads under my furniture."

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Legal questions thread: now with bonus interior design tips!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

BigHead posted:

If you were a party to the mediation, and were represented, contact that lawyer. Also if you were a party and did not have a lawyer, go find a lawyer.

If you were not a party and want to enforce the mediated settlement somehow, contact a lawyer in whatever area of law you're talking about.

I know that's not super helpful but that's about all you're going to get in this thread. We can't give you granular advice. There are so many different things that you could be talking about with way, way too many factors for us to give you anything like a specific answer. Bring your documents to a lawyer and pay them to answer your questions.

I appreciate the answer anyway :). In-house counsel is on it but I won't get to ask them for at least a month so I figured I'd try here.

blarzgh posted:

Settlement is agreement as a contract like any other.

It's also not entirely certain that they agree with you on what you consider to be a breach.

For any breach of contract case where the amount in current controversy is sufficient to warrant it, my recommendation is always to meet with a lawyer. If you have a viable cause of action, there is typically a pre-suit demand requirement, there may be an attorney's fees. Recovery provision is result of the breach, and it may not be obvious on its face when, where and how to file suit about it and so a lawyer's guidance is strongly recommended.

Basically the contract was to deliver good Y by date X in condition Z and they failed to do that. Instead they delayed far beyond the agreed date then gave us the items but they were clearly used. Our purchasing/finance people couldn't resolve it themselves and handed it off to in-house counsel. The AG got involved allegedly because we're apparently partially a state entity. I have no idea how most of this works, usually I get to play fly on the wall at these meetings but that didn't happen this time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah that’s for your in-house lawyers to deal with, not the internet.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My life is so stupid.

Over a dozen of my in-laws are signatories/members to an LLC formed in Wisconsin that owns some land and a few structures there. I want a lawyer who can advise us of the liabilities with this thing before we inherit an interest in it, but we're also considering buying in and need review first.

My husband and I are residents of two different states and we physically live in another state due to military orders in case that affects where the lawyer practices. Is this a pretty normal thing for a real estate lawyer to handle or should we look at someone with different expertise?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you’re in the military hit up your base jag office. There should be legal aid resources there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

My life is so stupid.

Over a dozen of my in-laws are signatories/members to an LLC formed in Wisconsin that owns some land and a few structures there. I want a lawyer who can advise us of the liabilities with this thing before we inherit an interest in it, but we're also considering buying in and need review first.

My husband and I are residents of two different states and we physically live in another state due to military orders in case that affects where the lawyer practices. Is this a pretty normal thing for a real estate lawyer to handle or should we look at someone with different expertise?

Call a real estate agent or title company near where the property is located and ask for the name of a local real estate attorney.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Call a real estate agent or title company near where the property is located and ask for the name of a local real estate attorney.

That'll work, thanks!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looks like the bankruptcy court in my case is likely to deny discharge due to excessive debtor fuckery.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird with big dick posted:

Looks like the bankruptcy court in my case is likely to deny discharge due to excessive debtor fuckery.

gently caress yeah!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bird, I know we give you a lot of grief, but I'm really glad that the court rulings are turning in your favor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks.

Waiting on the appeal is killing me. Just because of the way the trial went there's a real chance of it being granted. My lawyer who is very much a pessimist "would rather be us than them" which means it isn't 51/49 it's more like 75/25 or 90/10 but there's still a very real chance everything could go south.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ugh the thought of the appeal getting granted in any way just makes me sick to my stomach. This guy (and his wife) are such lying pieces of poo poo. Just imagine the worst Trump loving fygm tax cheating small business welfare exploiting piece of poo poo you can think of and they’re probably worse.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Waiting on an appeal is miserable, and you're probably looking at another 6 to 18 months before you get a ruling from the appellate court. Hopefully your attorney can force them to put up a significant bond pending appeal, to at least guarantee you're going to be paid at the end of it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Ugh the thought of the appeal getting granted in any way just makes me sick to my stomach. This guy (and his wife) are such lying pieces of poo poo. Just imagine the worst Trump loving fygm tax cheating small business welfare exploiting piece of poo poo you can think of and they’re probably worse.

Ask Evilweasel but to my reckoning the notion of the BK court being overturned on appeal for the denial of a discharge seems INCREDIBLY unlikely.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I think he's worried about an appeal of the civil award, not the bankruptcy discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah it's the civil trial, not the BK, that I'm worried about. I don't even think the discharge will make that much of a difference in the end but it'll piss the guy off and he deserves it.

From googling I was hoping I was looking at ~6 months but if it might be 12-18 jfc that's terrible. 18 months would put it fully 5 years after the crash. At about 3 months (after the trial) right now.