Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

3DS has not officially stopped production, no, and there's plenty of stock everywhere I look. 2DS XLs should be the most plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's definitely on its way out, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an official announcement that production was being discontinued within the next 6 months. They're no longer pushing it, I don't believe any retail stores are really carrying significant stock of games and the like anymore, and the last release anyone's going to notice is happening in less than a week.

System had a hell of a run given its rough start, though, I think there are legitimately over 200 different Japanese variants of the system when you account for all the colors and how every remotely significant release had a fancy limited edition designed handheld SKU put out as well.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I still see piles of them at Walmart. Literal piles because when has Walmart cared about appearances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LODGE NORTH posted:

I still see piles of them at Walmart. Literal piles because when has Walmart cared about appearances.

I assume back stock of the drat things has just accumulated worldwide to the point it'll be months before they can toss them all out the door one way or the other.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
3DS is well and truly out of stock in most of Europe.

The New 2DS, not so much.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Any of the SMT or Devil Survivor games worth playing if I liked P5/P4/P3?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Depends on whether the part you like about Persona is the combat or the social link and school stuff. Combat's pretty much the same but SMT games are all about building up teams of demons instead of working with a small party of humans, and they don't have as much stuff going on outside of combat.

SMT4/4A are very good and pretty standard SMT games definitely worth checking out. Devil Survivor takes that combat and shoves it into a SRPG, where you're moving parties around a map and when you get into fights you pretty much just play a turn of regular JRPG combat.

Also if you like Persona, the Persona Q games are fun fanservice even if they're kinda bad Etrian Odyssey reskins

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

devil survivor is a lot more closer to persona's tone, in the sense that you have human party members alongside your demons. 2 even has a pseudo social link system

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Hrm, I think I'll check out DS2 and play my copy of Q2 that I havn't even opened yet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's maybe worth mentioning I found the Devil Survivor games super difficult (especially 2) but maybe I'm just not that great at SRPGs

They're great games though

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There were a couple of fights in the first game that were fairly difficult, imo the second was easier. Or maybe I was more cognizant of what the game was expecting of me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They're all great, the main SMT games (Strange Journey, IV, 4A) are great dungeon crawlers with excellent combat systems. Devil Survivor is also good but it depends on how much you like SRPGs really.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Paper Jam a good game ? I don’t know if it’s worth buying or waiting for a sale or something

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Paper Jam a good game ? I don’t know if it’s worth buying or waiting for a sale or something

It's one of the lower M&L games imo but still worth playing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It has the most nothing story out of all of them but the gameplay systems are great.

And while the story is a big fat nothing there's a still a lot of funny writing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Amppelix posted:

It has the most nothing story out of all of them but the gameplay systems are great.

And while the story is a big fat nothing there's a still a lot of funny writing.

It has a lot of Koopaling dialog so its worth it just for that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I booted up my 3DS to check what I have in Pokemon Bank, and it's not connecting to my home wifi. Tried deleting the connection and redoing it, nada.

Is there a way to tell if the network is the problem, or if the 3DS' wifi is borked? If it's borked... Would I even be able to do a System Transfer to a new one? I am hesitant to contact Nintendo about it because the thing has CFW on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I booted up my 3DS to check what I have in Pokemon Bank, and it's not connecting to my home wifi. Tried deleting the connection and redoing it, nada.

Is there a way to tell if the network is the problem, or if the 3DS' wifi is borked? If it's borked... Would I even be able to do a System Transfer to a new one? I am hesitant to contact Nintendo about it because the thing has CFW on it.

Try creating a hotspot on your phone and seeing if it connects to that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

univbee posted:

Try creating a hotspot on your phone and seeing if it connects to that.

Got some friends to troubleshoot. Turns out we had replaced our router recently and it was running on a band(?) that the 3DS can't connect to. Somehow made another SSID on the router at the ghz that the 3DS can use and it's working now!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remind me, is the Radiant Historia remake basically pointless if you've got the original?

And how bullshit is Culdcept?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Culdcepts good as gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Remind me, is the Radiant Historia remake basically pointless if you've got the original?

It's got new content that some people don't like. I liked it though and it was fun playing through again. But if you've played the original and don't feel like replaying it with some new stuff then I guess don't get it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you can get the Radiant Historia remake cheap and aren't far in the original, it's worth picking up. It's not a radical remake. It uses most of the original's assets.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Maybe I should go to the Pokémon thread with this but I've been thinking of picking either Ultra Sun or Moon (I like the legendary in Sun better, but I've always been a Blue/Silver etc guy). I may consider Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, mainly for nostalgia than anything. Sword/Shield don't look great, and the little I've read about them makes Ultra S&M seem like they are chock full of features.

I haven't played since Generation IV, Diamond+Pearl, so I'm not really sure what's new or not.

I know you can't catch them all with access to only one game, but is there an easily accessible online trading thing? I don't expect to get legendaries, but it'd be nice to have the main collection gettable.

One of the draws for the 3DS games is the fact that there's a post-game. There is a post-game right? What's it like?

Is it possible to soft restart with a new team, or do you have to make a new file every time. I'd like to replay areas, I know trainers won't activate anymore or do they now? I really have no idea what the new games are like. I hear they have a lot of tutorials, which is sort of appealing since I've been so out of the loop.

I guess any general Q&A would be helpful. If I should go to the Pokémon thread instead let me know.

Thanks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'd honestly pick up X or Y.

The world of Sun & Moon just... doesn't feel half as fun?

Sun & Moon has the better 'mons and way more (and better) side content but... that's about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe I should go to the Pokémon thread with this but I've been thinking of picking either Ultra Sun or Moon (I like the legendary in Sun better, but I've always been a Blue/Silver etc guy). I may consider Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, mainly for nostalgia than anything. Sword/Shield don't look great, and the little I've read about them makes Ultra S&M seem like they are chock full of features.

I haven't played since Generation IV, Diamond+Pearl, so I'm not really sure what's new or not.

I know you can't catch them all with access to only one game, but is there an easily accessible online trading thing? I don't expect to get legendaries, but it'd be nice to have the main collection gettable.

One of the draws for the 3DS games is the fact that there's a post-game. There is a post-game right? What's it like?

Is it possible to soft restart with a new team, or do you have to make a new file every time. I'd like to replay areas, I know trainers won't activate anymore or do they now? I really have no idea what the new games are like. I hear they have a lot of tutorials, which is sort of appealing since I've been so out of the loop.

I guess any general Q&A would be helpful. If I should go to the Pokémon thread instead let me know.

Thanks.

Sun and Moon have much bigger and better post-game than X/Y. Original Sun and Moon have better stories but Ultra have more content/Pokemon/etc.

You can't soft restart the game, you would need to make a new file if you wanted to play through the story again.

Sun and Moon are definitely some of the best entries in the franchise while most people find X/Y very lacking. If you just want to play through once and have some fun I'd recommend the original Sun or Moon, if you want to maybe do some competitive stuff or get deep into a post-game get Ultra-Sun or Ultra-Moon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ORAS has the most features. X&Y has the best new world to explore. ultra sun and moon have a good setting and poo poo but are a step backwards for ORAS in terms of features and started the trend toward not supporting all the pokemon. if you've followed the series enough to nostalgic than ORAS is the best one to get imo

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks.

Ultra Moon/Sun are definitely the most content filled for your money. Let's Go is good, but it's not going to take up that much time and is mostly nostalgia. Sword/Shield is good, but lacking in post game.

Ultra Sun/Moon has super easy/good online trading. Let's Go and Sw/Sh extremely bad trading.

Ultra Sun/Moon have a pretty extensive post game dealing with, among other things, Team Rocket.

Ultra Sun/Moon have only one save file, and it's incredibly guided for a fairly long time so replaying is a major pain. Let's Go and Sw/Sh are much easier to just start playing and you can use different profiles for saves.

Usually you can't rematch regular trainers, but gym leaders are common and there are usually ways to fight infinite trainers post game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The dislike for SW/SH is very overblown and I'd absolutely pick it up over the Let's Go games if you want to play on your Switch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks.

I agree that the criticisms against Sw/Sh are way overblown, especially if you're still reading pre-release stuff. Sure, the games still have problems, but in the end hey, it turns out they're still really fun games! If you haven't played since Gen 4, odds are you'll still be blown away by how much new stuff there is, even if the games aren't as feature rich as past games. If you want to get the new hotness that everyone is playing, get Sw/Sh. I will fully admit that SwSh is severely lacking in post-game content, so if that's your main draw, then yeah, get one of the older games. ORAS and USUM both have a lot to offer and are solid, good, and fun games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks all. My goal is to be able to get them all and battle nobodies to greatness when I want and so the post game in Ultra S+M sounds ideal.

I could get it on the switch but price is a small factor and the lack of post game really doesn't sound appealing. I like my Ds to have "forever" games.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I kind of want the galaxy n3DS before it goes away. I really missed out on the Vita. US/UM are still pretty fun.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Aerofallosov posted:

I kind of want the galaxy n3DS before it goes away. I really missed out on the Vita. US/UM are still pretty fun.

Even though it's years old now, it still looks and feels like such a modern system. And with stereoscopic 3D a seemingly dying entertainment medium, it's probably the last such device we'll see for a while.

Not to mention the library is unparalleled. I have a good twenty 3DS I've yet to touch, and yet another twenty I want to pic up when the price is right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fly Ricky posted:

Even though it's years old now, it still looks and feels like such a modern system. And with stereoscopic 3D a seemingly dying entertainment medium, it's probably the last such device we'll see for a while.

It's not so much dead as VR just puts the same principle to use waaaay better for a bunch of reasons. And still plays 3D movies on top of that.

Aerofallosov posted:

Get it now or regret it later then :shepspends:.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not so much dead as VR just puts the same principle to use waaaay better for a bunch of reasons. And still plays 3D movies on top of that.

But there are things both charming about older versions of basically the same technology (ala Virtual Boy/etc.) and practical (no need for total immersion). And you can't play 3DS games in VR! Yet...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get it now or regret it later then :shepspends:.

Very true. :getin:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 3DS alone had about double the shelf life than two generations of VR combined (counting the 90's craze).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I think I'm going to beat DQ VIII but not bother with the post-game dungeons that are bound to be there. I want to trade that in alongside Xenoblade Chronicles to pick up Pokémon Ultra Moon. I'm hoping that trading is still easy enough in it. I'd like to fill out the Pokedex...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Healbot posted:

The 3DS alone had about double the shelf life than two generations of VR combined (counting the 90's craze).

That doesn't really mean much. VR is very much A Thing now, especially with the Oculus Quest and PSVR selling like mad.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't really mean much. VR is very much A Thing now, especially with the Oculus Quest and PSVR selling like mad.

PSVR is dead, Quest is selling worse than expected with no numbers given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Healbot posted:

PSVR is dead, Quest is selling worse than expected with no numbers given.

Lol no. The Quest is currently sold out on several online retailers in the US due to demand, and I can't even begin to fathom where you pulled "PSVR is dead" from.