Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bigass Moth posted:

I definitely remember a gimmicked rubber sledgehammer at some point in the early 2000s that bent when HHH swung it.
One of my earliest wrestling memories is watching WCW when Flair's son (David?) came out to interfere in a match with a powder blue crowbar in the waistband of his tights. When he pulls it out it visibly bends and wobbles.

Regarding Ryder, didn't he have a "proving" promo with Bryan and Punk that he completely whiffed? It seems like Ryder's story isn't the tragedy so many burials are made out to be, he kind of half-dug the grave himself. He doesn't get much TV time at this point but afaik he's still an active low-card face on the house show circuit, getting most of his old spots in before jobbing to Ambrose or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

One of my earliest wrestling memories is watching WCW when Flair's son (David?) came out to interfere in a match with a powder blue crowbar in the waistband of his tights. When he pulls it out it visibly bends and wobbles.
There's a beautiful metaphor at work here.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Basic Chunnel posted:

Regarding Ryder, didn't he have a "proving" promo with Bryan and Punk that he completely whiffed? It seems like Ryder's story isn't the tragedy so many burials are made out to be, he kind of half-dug the grave himself. He doesn't get much TV time at this point but afaik he's still an active low-card face on the house show circuit, getting most of his old spots in before jobbing to Ambrose or whoever.

God, I forget about that a lot. The image of Ryder standing tall with Punk and Bryan (and the one backstage photo that also includes Beth Phoenix, Cody Rhodes, and Air Boom) is so laughable in retrospect. Truly the apex of Ryder's career.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was also this really funny WCW moment where Jim Duggan came out to chase some people off, but his 2x4 was wobbling all over the place and it was the most obvious foam 2x4 in the history of man.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

There was also this really funny WCW moment where Jim Duggan came out to chase some people off, but his 2x4 was wobbling all over the place and it was the most obvious foam 2x4 in the history of man.

When he was feuding with The Revolution he would often smack one of them with his 2x4 and it would bend comically

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gavok posted:

Mike Quackenbush just did a Reddit AMA and he and the Redditors kept namedropping Chris Masters like he completely poo poo the bed in some way when he did an AMA. What are they talking about?

He gave a lot of lovely one-to-three word answers to almost everything. I was bored stupid by question five.

It was sort of this, but with Reddit instead of Ruby Rod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJKdxPwZdk

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

When he was feuding with The Revolution he would often smack one of them with his 2x4 and it would bend comically

He'd usually end up with a board shaped like a lightning bolt. That inspired Mike Quackenbush to take his nickname from his hero Jim.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tato posted:

God, I forget about that a lot. The image of Ryder standing tall with Punk and Bryan (and the one backstage photo that also includes Beth Phoenix, Cody Rhodes, and Air Boom) is so laughable in retrospect. Truly the apex of Ryder's career.

From what I remember, Bryan and Punk gave these amazing "We did it!" speeches about coming from the indies to the top. All I remember Ryder doing is his stupid catchphrase, no speech.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Speaking of Ryder, could someone quick recap his career for me? All I know is he started in fake ECW, ended up being pushed off a stage in a wheelchair by Kane, and somewhere in the middle he had an Internet show. Apparently he was really popular at some point? That just blows my mind, because I've seen him on TV maybe twice since I started watching in July.

At first he was in the Major Brothers in the WWE ECW along with Curt Hawkins. They did nothing of note. Then they became the Edgeheads. He and Hawkins had long hair that made them look enough like Edge that they made for good decoys during Edge's title defenses. Around this time, Miz and John Morrison had a really fun internet show called the Dirt Sheet and brought the Edgeheads on because Ryder created this terrible catchphrase where he'd go "WOO WOO WEE WOO WOO!" which was a huge step up from he and Hawkins having no personality whatsoever other than really liking Edge. It was later shortened to "WOO WOO WOO!" and he got repackaged on ECW with a guido gimmick and really catchy theme song.

On ECW, he had a lot of strong matches. He also had a match against a jobber where the opponent's pants tore and his junk fell out. That was pretty funny. He feuded with Tommy Dreamer and beat him in a Loser Leaves Match, making him kind of a big deal in this small pond. With Dreamer gone, ECW was shortly changed into NXT and Ryder was thrown onto Raw where he became what Heath Slater is now, only without the stable to back him up. He was huge into Twitter back before McMahon even knew what Twitter was, which led to a Raw segment involving Ashton Kutcher via satellite that was jaw-droppingly embarrassing to watch. He also got a spot on Season 2 of NXT where he briefly mentored Titus O'Neil until Titus was kicked off the show for being entirely too unsafe in the ring.

He started his Z! True Long Island Story internet show, which was really fun and funny. He poked fun at the company for not using him well and had a ton of great running gags. He started to gain a following, but WWE still didn't do anything with him. This got a little backlash when they did a Long Island Raw and refused to bring Ryder out for anything other than Superstars tapings. Even Dolph Ziggler got pissy on Twitter about that before that was his go-to thing. It was helped that the Ryder Revolution was going on during the smark-loved Summer of Punk storyline as there felt like a bit of a concurrent wave in all of it. Either way, shows in the New York area were incredibly pro-Ryder.

Ryder started to really pick up steam and WWE started to acknowledge his show (which was NOT part of their YouTube channel at the time) as being a good thing. He had a really strong feud with Dolph Ziggler over the US title and there was a Raw guest-hosted by Hugh Jackman that really put him over. Hell, even the Rock verbally put him over huge at Survivor Series. He won the US title around the time that Bryan got the World Heavyweight Championship and Punk was in the early days of his lengthy WWE Championship reign, so for one night they played it up that these guys were the future.

Then Ryder gave a lovely promo and the main event where they won a six-man tag did a poo poo rating. It became apparent that the fans liked the idea of Ryder, but he didn't have much to support the chants once he was in the ring. His character was overly basic and his matches weren't all that great. Plus a lot of people feel that WWE resented him getting over without their consent. Ryder, who was given the spot as John Cena's sidekick, became the bitch in one of the worst feuds of the last several years. Kane started wearing his mask again and tried messing with Cena to make him HATE. His way of doing this was to terrorize Zack Ryder over and over again while Ryder looked completely inept and never got any licks in. He also lost his belt to Jack Swagger in the last instance of Ryder ever looking credible as despite being injured, it took three Doctor Bombs to take him out.

It got even worse when John Cena started making out with Eve (Ryder's would-be love interest) in front of Ryder sitting heartbroken in a wheelchair with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. WWE refused to show Cena in a negative light because of his status and they needed to get his Wrestlemania feud with the Rock in gear, so they finished off the Kane angle, ignored Ryder's gripes, had Eve turn suddenly heel and immediately had Cena slut-shame her in the middle of the ring. Cena termed her a "hoski," which Ryder co-opted and it was gross. Eve befriended Ryder again, only to predictably turn on him during a big 8-man tag at Wrestlemania. Ryder never got revenge and instead fell into obscurity.

The whole experience took the wind out of his sails and he never recovered. He started getting really bitter on Twitter and on his show (which was switched over to the WWE channel at some point), which was initially understandable. Then he kept whining more and more. Soon that was all he ever seemed to do and there was a backlash, as the usual fans stopped caring about him. He lost interest in the Z! True Long Island Story, got fat and people forget he even exists anymore.

Oh, wait. You said a "quick recap." Sorry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LvK posted:

iirc, prop departments and film armories get legal exemption in CA

California has, ironically, some of the most stringent firearms laws in the USA, and at the same time, the highest ownership of fully-automatic weapons in the country, thanks to prop departments.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I always thought the sledgehammer could work just fine as long as HHH did the jab to the gut he normally does, but put both his hands on the handle and just "pull" the shot so he just taps the guy lightly in the belly with the head of the hammer. I would imagine a guy who's been wrestling 20 years could make it look tight and anyway the WWE uses 6 cameras so they could definitely find an angle where it would look vicious. Covering up the head just shatters any disbelief anyone could possibly have.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Then there was that story about how Ryder (at the biggest point where people actually cared about him and he wasn't being used) was told he had a segment, to get to Raw and get ready. So he did, waited, waited, waited, and then it turned out there was no segment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm pretty sure that was when Raw was in Long Island. It was right around the time Vince pulled his hi-larious prank where he brought out Mark Henry for a post-show dark match and kept playing different music until Henry just left.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ryder also had those couple weeks in ECW where the audience literally got to watch his dream sequence fantasies about Rosa Mendes. I've never seen anything like it in WWE. In kayfabe it's even more inexplicable than why Undertaker had a multiple camera setup in his weed limo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sticklefifer posted:

Ryder also had those couple weeks in ECW where the audience literally got to watch his dream sequence fantasies about Rosa Mendes. I've never seen anything like it in WWE. In kayfabe it's even more inexplicable than why Undertaker had a multiple camera setup in his weed limo.

Oh God I forgot about that. That was utterly loving surreal, even more bizarre than the time Vince saw a vision of his younger self in a mirror.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I forgot about that. That was utterly loving surreal, even more bizarre than the time Vince saw a vision of his younger self in a mirror.

There was also the time Kane was being taken away by an ambulance and had flashbacks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, that was the Ryder saga. I think the issue comes back to WWE's big problem of now: the quality, tone, everything of the writing in-ring on Raw and (to a lesser extent) SmackDown is very different from every other form of WWE media, whether that's the individual twitter accounts or the backstage YouTube shows or interviews. I'm not sure why there's that discrepancy but I feel like a guy like Ryder getting over on the Internet but flopping when given his script...and not the only one who's brought down by scripting...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Writer Cath posted:

There was also the time Kane was being taken away by an ambulance and had flashbacks.

I thought he was looking at himself in the mirror for almost two hours while having flashbacks.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
That episode where Kane stalked Ryder like a b-movie horror villain was great. Ryder brushing his teeth, and then Kane shows up in the mirror as he spits it out (with his red light of course!). Kane hides in a closet, Kane stalks Zack Ryder while he fails to fix a tire.

We're far enough removed from that feud that I can say it's legitimately one of my favorite feuds of the last five years.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Jerusalem posted:

Is there video of this? Or I guess the Ryder stuff too.

But why did Vince see his younger self?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Senator Giroux posted:

Is there video of this? Or I guess the Ryder stuff too.

But why did Vince see his younger self?

If I recall correctly it was during the brief attempt to bring back Saturday Night Main Event as a thing, and Vince was taunting somebody about how rich and powerful he was when he saw the vision of himself as he was back in the day. I think it was a hamfisted (kayfabe!) attempt to show Vince realizing what a monstrous character he had become in comparison to his earlier, more "innocent" days, and it could have been accomplished far better if he'd found an old poster or photograph of himself backstage from the 80s/early 90s.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

sticklefifer posted:

Ryder also had those couple weeks in ECW where the audience literally got to watch his dream sequence fantasies about Rosa Mendes.

Bard Maddox posted:

That episode where Kane stalked Ryder like a b-movie horror villain was great. Ryder brushing his teeth, and then Kane shows up in the mirror as he spits it out (with his red light of course!). Kane hides in a closet

Jerusalem posted:

the time Vince saw a vision of his younger self in a mirror.

Writer Cath posted:

Gonna need to see vids of all these

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Has the introduction of the PG era actually led to increased ratings and attendance?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the weird dream sequence poo poo was during that span where Stephanie *really* wanted WWE to be a soap opera.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has the introduction of the PG era actually led to increased ratings and attendance?

No, but it's led to better PR and happier sponsors.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Increased ratings/attendance? Nah. More monies from sponsors (Mattel being the big one)? Absolutely.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DeathChicken posted:

I'm pretty sure the weird dream sequence poo poo was during that span where Stephanie *really* wanted WWE to be a soap opera.

Funnily enough, literally every one of my friends that watched wrestling stopped when it became "Too much like a soap opera". Having never had any interest in it before, I didn't know exactly what they meant by that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To add to the list of "Surreal moments that wouldn't really work in wrestling and utterly break disbelief" the Stephanie McMahon dream sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvKKa14woLc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On those line, didn't Katie Lea (possibly Victoria?) spend the first few months of her TNA career as a hallucination/imaginary friend? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

On those line, didn't Katie Lea (possibly Victoria?) spend the first few months of her TNA career as a hallucination/imaginary friend? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Nah, she was just a creepy goth chick who hypnotised/drugged... Angelina Love, I think, into being in love with her. This meant Love could no-sell... for some reason?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At first it was hinted that she was some weird hallucination but I don't think that lasted long.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

No she absolutely was. Angelina would have full conversations with her and then the rest of the beautiful people would walk in and thought she was crazy because there was nobody there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY

Don't forget when Ultimate Warrior appeared in Hogan's mirror and Hogan and the commentators could see him but Bischoff couldn't.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What you should do with an imaginary friend/split personality gimmick is have the imaginary character come out to the ring after the real character has an episode, and have the announcers and everyone sell it as if it is the original character. But you at home can tell that the split personality has taken over!

I'm waiting for my call from TNA.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That had to be a weird initial meeting to be in for Katie Lea.

"Well I'm an accomplished wrestler who had a good run in developmental and then got squandered on tv as a weird quasi-incestuous valet. What you got for me?"

"You'll be a cheerleader's psychosis. Get out there. Also we're not paying you."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

She should have come out wearing a black and white lucha mask.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sleepingbuddha posted:

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but amusingly enough Meltzer has said that the PG-era has actually made the WWE audience skew older. There were way more young people watching during the Attitude era.

Granted, there were way more people of every age watching during the boom period probably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

That had to be a weird initial meeting to be in for Katie Lea.

"Well I'm an accomplished wrestler who had a good run in developmental and then got squandered on tv as a weird quasi-incestuous valet. What you got for me?"

"You'll be a cheerleader's psychosis. Get out there. Also we're not paying you."

I'm sure she got food stamp. No, not a typo.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Thauros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY

Don't forget when Ultimate Warrior appeared in Hogan's mirror and Hogan and the commentators could see him but Bischoff couldn't.

I love this one. The implication is that Hogan's crazy for seeing the Warrior in the mirror. But the commentators could see him and we could see him. So that would mean that Bischoff was crazy, but he was set up to be the straight man in the bit.

:psyduck:

How do you gently caress that up to have the complete opposite of the intended effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Back at Wrestlemania 24, how did people take Undertaker beating Edge's streak at Mania? Were there people who thought it was stupid because they should have kept Edge's streak going, or was it a foregone conclusion he was going to lose?