Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

JerkyBunion posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Galaxy Nexus Car Mount? It looks like poo poo to me but I really need a car mount (do a ton of driving). I assume it doesn't work with cases either. It wouldn't be a total pain having to pop off a silicone case but I occasionally put on my OtterBox.

Suggestions?
I got this. It fits the phone in my Diztronic case and I'd be surprised if there were any cases that didn't work with it. It also comes with 3 different mounting options, so you should be able to find something that works with your car.

The Verizon car mount is kinda pointless at this moment, because it doesn't have built charging via the 3 pins on the side of the phone, and you can't use a case with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Latest Verizon MAP shows the Droid 4 at $199 rather than the $249 as previous reported. That should make slider people happy.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/25/new-verizon-map-shows-droid-4-price-drop/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 26, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

Latest Verizon MAP shows the Droid for at $199 rather than the $249 as previous reported. That should make slider people happy.

:aaaaa:

Why is it not out yet Moto I want to give you :20bux:*10.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

Probaby the LG Accolade.

DaNzA posted:

Samsung Gusto is like 10 bucks from bestbuy. Decent call quality and battery will last forever too.

Mighty Horse posted:

Its discontinued. Still out there, but no longer in production.

As long as you don't mind the alarm clock not working at random times. It's an OK phone

I would go with the LG Revere to be honest, or The Convoy 2.

Thanks for the recs. Do any of the dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards available from Verizon not suck? I wind up having to answer texts a lot for work.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The LG Octane probably has the best raw tech specs out of our QWERTY phones without a data plan, but I feel far more confident in the Samsung Intensity 2. I think highly enough of the Samsung Intensity 2 to let my Dad buy and nothing has gone spectacularly wrong. Only issue Dad faced were some weird calls going straight to voicemail while at work and I fixed that with a manual tower push. Not everyone likes that model though (a coworker thought poorly of the phone just because it looked worse in comparison to the Samsung Reality).

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
AmazonWireless just added the RAZR MAXX to their site. Page isn't live yet, nor is the pricing. Figure it'll go live sometime tomorrow. Given Official VZW Pricing is $299, I'd be surprised to see it launch over $199.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

fatherdog posted:

Thanks for the recs. Do any of the dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards available from Verizon not suck? I wind up having to answer texts a lot for work.

Didn't VZW have a phone that had the same form factor as the Samsung Reclaim/LG RemarQ at one point? I could have sworn they did. It's pretty much perfect for what you're looking to do.

If nothing else, the LG Octane Isn't Bad.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 26, 2012

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Wow already backorderd on Amazon. I ordered mine straight from VZW around 1 am. Excited to finally move on past this 2009 Samsung Omnia. Windows Mobile 6.1, you were an rear end in a top hat and i hope no one else is still using you...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

fatherdog posted:

Octane is the only one thats worth a poo poo, IMHO.

And it's disco'ed so get one while you still can, because apparently, LG isn't replacing it with a new model.

Can confirm the D4 @ $199 as well. I got a new date of the 8th, which is a wednesday, and makes more sense than the 4th.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not that I am complaining about saving a hundred bucks compared to the average, but why is it going to be $199 and not $299 like every other LTE device has been?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
16GB most likely, no extra SD card.

They are following the apple standard..

16GB = $199
32GB = $299

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the same thing is happening with the Razr (non-MAXX) pricedrop as well. They are nixing the 16gb SD card and just shipping it with the onboard storage.

Verizon's been doing this for awhile now with their handsets. When they drop in price they either delete or lower the capacity of the SD card. The Droid X went through a similar evolution.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Ernie Luckman posted:

Wow already backorderd on Amazon. I ordered mine straight from VZW around 1 am. Excited to finally move on past this 2009 Samsung Omnia. Windows Mobile 6.1, you were an rear end in a top hat and i hope no one else is still using you...

I don't know what confuses me more, that you were using an Omnia or that you never upgraded it to 6.5. That was my first smartphone and once betas of 6.5 started getting linked it became at least usable.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Quidnose posted:

I got a Galaxy Nexus a little under a month ago, and while I love the phone, my data on it is so spotty it's not even funny. It's not even a matter of it switching out of 4g a lot, it's constantly cycling off whenever it loses the 4g signal. I can understand losing 4g occasionally, but a lot of times I have to wait for the data to reboot so I can do anything. I'm not sure if it's related, but Airplane mode will frequently lockup if I try to turn it on and off to reboot the data connection, and tonight I turned on Wifi from my widget and the same lockup happen. Both of these problems get fixed on a reboot.

I live in the Bay Area in Silicon Valley and I have a friend who has a Resound on Verizon and his 4g is almost always on. Is my phone's data connection borked, or is there a setting I can tweak, or is this a known problem with the current OS or something? I'm just trying to decide if I need to go exchange it before my 30 days are up for either a new phone or an iPhone if this is the way my data is constantly gonna go.

So I just got the Nexus 2 days ago and have this exact problem. It's constantly stalling out/cycling connections. Sitting at my desk where I never had a problem making calls in the past, I am dropping calls or I have to attempt to begin a call a couple times. I was standing next to 2 other people on verizon phones trying to get directions last night and theirs worked fine. Mine couldn't do anything. Cycling to airplane mode seems to work sometimes?

I googled around and it seems half the people say "omg this is happening to me too!" and the other half say the signal is fine it just doesn't display it correctly.

So am I doing something wrong here?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To add further uncertainty to the issue, it's been discovered that there's two hardware revisions floating around out there, .09 and .10. People have reported that swapping from a .09 to .10 has resolved their issues but it may be confirmation bias.

Verizon and Samsung both deny that there's a newer hardware revision out there.

You can tell which one you have by going to the About screen and taking a look at the baseband info. The first string is actually revealing the hardware revision. It is either i515.09 or i515.10. I have the former. You can also get this info from fastboot.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

bull3964 posted:

Latest Verizon MAP shows the Droid 4 at $199 rather than the $249 as previous reported. That should make slider people happy.

Sweet! That does seem weird though, lowering the price before it's even launched...

Is there a good place to compare specs on the D4 and a RAZR MAXX?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I got sick of waiting around for a fix and flashed a different OS on, and it seems to have solved the problem. So yeah, I am thinking its software related and hopefully a fix will be out sooner rather than later.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghostnuke posted:

Sweet! That does seem weird though, lowering the price before it's even launched...

Is there a good place to compare specs on the D4 and a RAZR MAXX?

If you need a keyboard, get the D4. If you don't, get the Maxx or something else. I mean, those aren't really phones that need a detailed comparison. No reason to get the D4 unless you need a keyboard!

Edit: But to be a little more helpful, here ya go.

Ignore their conclusion though. "These phone are a dead tie in terms of hardware and software. What you are really deciding between with the two ultimately comes down to if you want a keyboard or extremely large battery with your phone." Dead tie on hardware when the hardware is totally different? :confused:

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 26, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
They probably mean the internals of the phone, which seem identical. Where as the form factors are about as different as you can get.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

They probably mean the internals of the phone, which seem identical. Where as the form factors are about as different as you can get.

Yeah, I assume so, but "hardware" to me encompasses things like the screen, battery, weight, and form factor, which are all completely different. Even if you separate out "form factor," which is fair enough when one has a keyboard, the screen is totally different and the battery is certainly not a tie. Being too nitpicky I guess.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ciabatta posted:

If you need a keyboard, get the D4. If you don't, get the Maxx or something else. I mean, those aren't really phones that need a detailed comparison. No reason to get the D4 unless you need a keyboard!

Edit: But to be a little more helpful, here ya go.

Ignore their conclusion though. "These phone are a dead tie in terms of hardware and software. What you are really deciding between with the two ultimately comes down to if you want a keyboard or extremely large battery with your phone." Dead tie on hardware when the hardware is totally different? :confused:

I like keyboards, but I would give that up for a better battery and screen. Basically I just want the best phone I can cram a 64gb microsd card into so I can put my music on it. Both my phone and my zune died at once, so I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Edit: Would this card work in either phone? http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005V7WIA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327607331&sr=8-1

Edit 2: Found some blogs confirming it works with RAZR

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 26, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, keep in mind that the D4 screen is not OLED like the Razr and is using the same LCD panel of the D3.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, keep in mind that the D4 screen is not OLED like the Razr and is using the same LCD panel of the D3.

Yup, looks like I'm ditching the D4 already and getting a RAZR Maxx

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For new lines only, Galaxy Nexus is $99 on Amazon Wireless.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is the Droid 3 screen really that bad? I'm coming from an IPhone 4, will I notice a dip in quality? I want to wait for the D4 to launch before I decide on that or a MAXX.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

shyguy posted:

Is the Droid 3 screen really that bad? I'm coming from an IPhone 4, will I notice a dip in quality? I want to wait for the D4 to launch before I decide on that or a MAXX.
Go to a verizon store and compare the droid 3 and the current razr. Also if the camera in the d4 is as awful as the d3 then pass on that piece of poo poo.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.

WeaselWeaz posted:

I don't know what confuses me more, that you were using an Omnia or that you never upgraded it to 6.5. That was my first smartphone and once betas of 6.5 started getting linked it became at least usable.

Lol, i was waiting forever for verizon to release a legit update. They finally did and i couldn't use it because i didn't have access to a 32 bit OS to download/install it with. At that point i just kinda said gently caress it, installed a pirated SPB mobile shell and used my omnia as a phone that could do really basic web browsing.

Can't wait to get my hands on the maxx.....

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

shyguy posted:

Is the Droid 3 screen really that bad?
It's one of those things that either looks fine to you or you can pick out the flaws and it drives you crazy. You need to try out a Droid 3 / 4 in-person and decide for yourself. When you're evaluating be sure to cause motion on the screen: slide between app screens, watch a video, etc.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rastor posted:

It's one of those things that either looks fine to you or you can pick out the flaws and it drives you crazy. You need to try out a Droid 3 / 4 in-person and decide for yourself. When you're evaluating be sure to cause motion on the screen: slide between app screens, watch a video, etc.

Indeed its the dreaded PENTILE. Personally, it doesn't bother me, although I can see the limitations that some people complain about. Really, just go to the store and look at them if you're worried.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Don Lapre posted:

Go to a verizon store and compare the droid 3 and the current razr. Also if the camera in the d4 is as awful as the d3 then pass on that piece of poo poo.

The camera on the D3 is bad? I haven't noticed anything lovely about it and I use it fairly often...

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

VZW screwed up and I ended up with an extra upgrade on my account. Am I crazy for being somewhat tempted to switch from the G'Nex to the MAXX? Or should I just sit on the upgrade till a Quad core comes out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The camera on the D3 is bad? I haven't noticed anything lovely about it and I use it fairly often...

Takes like 5 seconds to take a photo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^
Holy poo poo my X2 was the worst at this. Eventually it just stopped taking pictures all together. My X2 literally gave no shits.

JayKay posted:

VZW screwed up and I ended up with an extra upgrade on my account. Am I crazy for being somewhat tempted to switch from the G'Nex to the MAXX? Or should I just sit on the upgrade till a Quad core comes out.

I think this happened to me too, nothing at CES piqued my interest in the least but it's still cool having an upgrade waiting. I'm finding out though that I care more about software when it comes to Android phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would be willing to bet that there will be a version of the Razr MAXX with an HD screen out before summer. I would sit on the upgrade for a bit.

There's also a quad core HTC phone on the horizon and HTC has recent said that they sucked for 2011 and are going to do better for 2012.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Don Lapre posted:

Takes like 5 seconds to take a photo.

Yeah I think something is wrong with your D3...mine takes ~2 seconds.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

I'm finding out though that I care more about software when it comes to Android phones.

bull3964 posted:

I would be willing to bet that there will be a version of the Razr MAXX with an HD screen out before summer. I would sit on the upgrade for a bit.
The software really matters, especially with the Gingerbread -> ICS leap. I would hold off until the next great thing that ships with ICS from the start.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Anyone know how the hell i can reset my billing account password without dealing with phone maze sitting on hold hell? Just got my Maxx in the mail and can't activate it because i don't know this password.

I dialed *611, followed the prompts, and it just told me that i can set the password by logging in to my verizon. When i log in to my verizon, i need the current password to change it. This doesn't help me any...

Any hints?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ernie Luckman posted:

Anyone know how the hell i can reset my billing account password without dealing with phone maze sitting on hold hell? Just got my Maxx in the mail and can't activate it because i don't know this password.

I dialed *611, followed the prompts, and it just told me that i can set the password by logging in to my verizon. When i log in to my verizon, i need the current password to change it. This doesn't help me any...

Any hints?

Log out of My Verizon and click forget password?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JayKay posted:

VZW screwed up and I ended up with an extra upgrade on my account.
Sitting on an upgrade is basically wasting cash. Particularly if you just got a GNex and are likely to hold onto it for a few years. Grab an iPhone 4S and flip that sucker. :20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Ernie Luckman posted:

Any hints?

Billing account password =/= online account password.

Billing account password is a verbal password you get asked when you call into 611/customer service, it can be no longer than 5 characters long.

Online account password is minimum of 8 characters and must contain atleast 1 number. Reset your online account password, then go in and change your billing account password.

• Locked thread