Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Poor Pants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

McPantserton posted:

McPants current cosplay status: at least 5% cyborg

Weird looking cosplay

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Holy hell, feel better McPanterson. I chipped a bone in my ankle mid build and that sucked enough, can't imagine how going full Mechanicum on your leg has to be.

Finished everything but the rifle for Dragoncon. I'll post a pic or two when I get home. I think norris also got a few of me at the overwatch shoot. Going to do a full build writeup once I decide where to actually post it so non goons can see.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:haw:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm actually gonna dump all the srs cosplay photos I took into the cosplay thread so watch for Maz to show up over there!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

My first official non-Halloween cosplay:

Construction gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/noaXD

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looks great! Nice use of the hammer!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

my cat is norris posted:

Looks great! Nice use of the hammer!

Thanks! I mixed up my dates so I ended up having to build the Bracers and chest piece in less than a week. So it has issues but over all I'm pretty happy.

Thankfully the hammer and cape were built for Halloween a few years back.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey costume thread. I bought an off the rack costume from Rubies and want to improve the fit a little. The pieces seems to be molded latex and have flimsy velcro to close them. I want to add beefier velcro, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching it to the latex pieces. Hot glue?

I'll probably have other questions a long the way as well. Thanks!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

E6000 is a really great all-purpose epoxy. Orrr you can reference this amazing site that someone recently linked and I absolutely love!

http://www.thistothat.com/

Apparently 3M 77 is the poo poo.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone ever done wings before? like angel wings? Any tips or tricks for them to not look lovely?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Terec posted:

Anyone ever done wings before? like angel wings? Any tips or tricks for them to not look lovely?

Someone posted in the thread awhile back on a set of 'working' angel wings.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Does anyone have a source for a Mandarin-collar shirt? I'm trying to make a vest like this one.

At first I thought it was a modified vest, but it's actually just a dress shirt with the sleeves removed, epaulets and a front piece added, which should be a lot easier to make.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Does anyone have any experience of dyeing white clothes to make them skin tone with tea? It's our annual carnival next Saturday and my 2 year old is gollum but my god finding skin tone clothes for her to wear has been impossible.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yeah, I did a Furiosa costume a couple of years ago and had an absolutely terrible time dyeing the white fabric I made the shirt out of. I tried tea, coffee, and an actual Rit dye. The thing that worked best in the end was rubbing cocoa powder into the shirt- it looked much more like dirty old fabric than any of my dye attempts (neither tea nor coffee changed the color significantly). Rubbing powder into the fabric also has the nice side effect of creating more realistic wear, and you can vary it across the fabric more easily.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I need a skin tone as a base so I am thinking of trying the tea technique then using your idea of cocoa for definition. Need to make a minging loincloth too! yaay.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I really do like RIT dye. If you're starting from a white base, you'll probably be able to get something pretty good. But if it's a light skin tone, you'd probably only need VERY LITTLE dye.

https://www.ritdye.com/color-library/color-formulas/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recommended tutorial for painting plastic to look like metal? I have a gold colored plastic piece that I was thinking I'd spray paint with gold acrylic and then do a black dry brush kind of thing on it, but I didn't know if there was a better way.

edit: Nevermind, did my thing and I like how it turned out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 16, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've made wastelander clothes before.
If you want to dye a white fabric with coffee/tea, my best luck was letting it soak for a day (overkill) and then hand drying it without wringing it out.
Instant coffee/cocoa for dirt and voila!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I've had good luck with Rit's tan for making whites into somewhere between grungy and undeyed cotton. Drybrushed with a bit of oxblood leather dye (because I had it around) for some old blood stains, and it worked out pretty well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Out of curiousity, for the people that soak cloth in tea/coffee, does it end up smelling like tea? I'm just imagining someone half-way through their con day getting hot and sweaty, but surrounded by the soothing aroma of a nice cup of tea.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It smells horrible! But worked really well as we could take it out when it reached the same sort of colour as our toddler :)

I will post pics when she is in all her gollum get up. Currently working on attacking my wood sword blade to my 3D printed anduril hilt. Fun times

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I actually did a super duper strong concentrate of coffee to discolor my Jason Voorhees clothing.

And it smells great!

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 19, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I recently weathered a costume and my approach was to throw it on the front lawn and let my boyfriend jump all over it. He had fun.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If I can dig it out of storage, i'll show off the shirt that I weathered for Leatherface last year.

I used 2 spray bottles with super watered-down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown). I mainly focused the yellow on areas where sweat stains would accumulate, and the brown on the waist and cuffs, with random spritzes, streams and mistings of both all over the fabric. I let it air dry, and it came out perfect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Silhouette posted:

If I can dig it out of storage, i'll show off the shirt that I weathered for Leatherface last year.

I used 2 spray bottles with super watered-down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown). I mainly focused the yellow on areas where sweat stains would accumulate, and the brown on the waist and cuffs, with random spritzes, streams and mistings of both all over the fabric. I let it air dry, and it came out perfect.

That's a really great idea.
Even though I have spray bottles, I almost always use an old toothbrush.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I'm looking for advice on how to make Danerys' fur striped jacket from the latest season of GoT. Keep in mind I have zero sewing skills. Would my best bet be finding a jacket similar in shape and just glueing strips of fur on it?

There probably won't be any place in my town to get fake fur but I was thinking about hacking up a giant stuffed animal...

By the way I'm trying to do this as cheap as I can.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Cheap and faux fur generally don't mix, but I know Joann had 1" and 2" wide faux fur trim strips by the yard when I was in there this week. It'd be shady, but for one-time use you might be able to get away with gluing them down?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Gettin' ready for halowweeeeeeen '17.

Red Spycrab
Jun 23, 2017

McKilligan posted:

Can't wait to see the finished product, honestly a huge fan of your work

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Hell yeah! I saw your Reddit post, I can't wait for this.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Getting ready for AWA this weekend. I'm working on two costumes: Scout from TF2 and Trevor Belmont from Netflix's Castlevania.

The Scout costume is done, mostly slightly modified off the shelf stuff. I'm really happy with the outcome:

Trevor is a bit more complicated. I'm making a custom leather belt, doing a ton of sewing, and doing a lot of fine detail work.

I am also helping my wife with a Korra outfit plus doing some alterations for a friend's TF2 Soldier overcoat. Wish me luck! I'll post more pictures when I'm done.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

McKilligan posted:

Man why would you even bother with Mother and Child when you can go straight to GIANT DAD?

That being said; that is some phenomenal work.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Silhouette posted:

Man why would you even bother with Mother and Child when you can go straight to GIANT DAD?

That being said; that is some phenomenal work.

'Cause then I'd have to make a whole set of armor instead of just a black cloak :/

that said....

the legend never dies

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I'm going as Taako for Halloween

And I don't know how to make such a ridiculous hat.

The decorations will be just whatever I can get ahold of but how do I make the base hat?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I guess a cone shape for the top sewn to a wide brim made of 2 doughnut shapes? I would also embed some stiff wire or something into the rim to allow you to shape it and not have it all floppy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The best thing to put into the hat to make it hold shape is probably going to be interfacing; you would want a fairly thick/stiff variety with how big that hat is. You can also use buckram, which is much stiffer and can be shaped wet and them dry stiff, but is a bit harder to work with in general.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You could probably bend a coat-hanger to be the core of the bent part and have it support most of the weight, then sew/tape it to the back/front of the inside of the cone.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
You want to make it out of wool felt. There are lots of tutorials on the process. Lots of cool designs you can make with wool felt. For example:

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SwitchbladeKult posted:

You want to make it out of wool felt. There are lots of tutorials on the process. Lots of cool designs you can make with wool felt. For example:

This was my first thought but I've never done felting before. Could I do it in a single day?
I'm hoping to bust it out this weekend.

A lot of the shops online that sell crazy hats like in your post go for $300+.