Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Are there any touring companies in China that offer bare bones tours? I don't actually want to be shuffled around to a bunch of pre-determined sites in an area and would rather be given the option to go it alone for 2-3 days in each of the general areas that are being visited. The only reason I want a tour at all is because I'm not sure of how well I could handle the public transportation and accommodation minutea as I only speak English. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Kinkajou posted:

Are there any touring companies in China that offer bare bones tours? I don't actually want to be shuffled around to a bunch of pre-determined sites in an area and would rather be given the option to go it alone for 2-3 days in each of the general areas that are being visited. The only reason I want a tour at all is because I'm not sure of how well I could handle the public transportation and accommodation minutea as I only speak English. Any thoughts?

www.ctrip.com

You don't want to do a tour of any flavour, because all flavours will suck. If you are going to major cities then you'll be fine buying tickets for the train and finding hotels (unless you are an idiot, are you an idiot?) and if you want to go off the beaten track poo poo on the street like a pro then your only option is to do it yourself because no tour company is going to give you the real China experience.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kinkajou posted:

As long as you aren't going out to rural Xinjiang you'll be fine getting around by public transportation. If you stay at hostels you can almost always have someone help you book your next bus or train, and there's usually other foreigners that are traveling that can help you as well. Don't worry about it.

Lorebane
Mar 14, 2014

Oats, hay, fear! The power of the Tri-Horse!

Kinkajou posted:

You aren't likely to find much on this front. All of the touring companies I've seen tend to go all-in in setting up the perfect tour for you, and in a collectivist society, that means insisting that the tour you want is the tour everyone else wants. They'll give you an itinerary, tell you what hotel to stay at, and what sights to see. There's also a very good chance that your bus or driver is going to stop at a factory or store on the way and refuse to go anywhere until you've sat through what is basically an hour-long live infomercial on a product that you desperately don't need.

Honestly, the longer I stay out here, the easier it becomes to play it by ear. Hostelworld is usually a good place to find lodging wherever you go, and despite what some naysayers may insist, Lonely Planet is usually going to give you a quick overview of an areas highlights. Unless you're going out to a teeny tiny village, you should be able to find a solid hostel who's staff can set you up with one-shot local tours and transportation, just be ready to pay a premium for the convenience.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Kinkajou posted:

I'm not sure of how well I could handle the public transportation and accommodation minutea as I only speak English. Any thoughts?

On my first visit I managed to get from the Beijing's airport to it's west train station using only a few terribly broken Chinese phrases and some gestures. Then I managed to book a ticket at the train station (which had an English-speaking window that happened to be closed at the time) at midnight to take a 14 hour train ride to my destination.

It can be done. I actually enjoyed the challenge despite being a risk-adverse type of person. Maybe you'd enjoy it too!

Note: I only spoke with young adults and high school types. For the most part, they can all understand some basic English like "bus" and "train."

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
How is flying United in economy trans-pacific? It is suspiciously cheap right now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Woodsy Owl posted:

How is flying United in economy trans-pacific? It is suspiciously cheap right now.

About as good as any other? If it's cheap, you need a flight, and the time works for you then just do it. Flying economy isn't great on just about every carrier.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Woodsy Owl posted:

If you don't mind surly flight attendants, survivable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Agreeing with everyone on don't do a tour. I had no trouble with just English.

If you absolutely will not go without one I have friends who went on a tour that was basically dropping you off somewhere and leaving you alone for a few days then moving on. I can ask the name of the company. It was way more expensive than doing it yourself; not an issue for them but if you are normal I wouldn't do it.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

I remember we had AIRLINE CHAT a while back in the thread and it seemed like a lot of people have had problems with United, but fearcotton and I have flown economy with them five or six times on intercontinental flights and it's always been great. It probably is a crap shoot, though; economy isn't a lot of fun even under the best conditions (though last time we went home to the States we got two seats in the last row of the plane that were all by themselves with tons of leg room -- it was awesome).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
United is who I went with. How cheap is cheap? Two tickets for me and the wife at around $1250 a piece. Dunno about the wife but I'm going to try and upgrade on flight day.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

I took advantage of that cheapness and regret it immensely. I'm flying back to Hong Kong on United the day after tomorrow. It is going to suck.

14 hours without a personal TV in 2014? No thank you. Not at any price.

Super King
Jul 18, 2005
You can't eat all those hamburgers, you stupid fella
I just had a United flight in economy to Chicago last Friday. If I recall correctly, they only allowed one checked bag without paying an extra $100. Still no personal TVs as mentioned and no USB ports/power outlets for charging devices.

They did have in-flight WiFi for about 17 dollars.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

What the hell planes are you guys on with United that don't have seatback TVs? Every United flight we've been on has had them.

Then again, we haven't flown United since last summer, so maybe they're frigging with their intercontinental fleets. If that's the case, no loving way will I get on a United plane. Bloodnose is right: no TV can go to hell.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
From what I've read some of the older planes don't have TV in the economy class. The flight I have only has USB or AC outlets in business class.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My favorite new bullshit airline thing:

1) They charge you $50-$100 to check a bag, so everyone brings bags that they would rather check as carry-on.
2) Flight attendants notice that everyone is trying to bring on giant-rear end bags and that there will not be sufficient overhead bin space.
3) They offer to check your bags, "Free of charge," but you already had to haul the loving thing through security and to the gate.
4) Often you don't get the "We'll check this for free" offer until your second or third connecting flight, meaning you had to do all the extra hassle and stress of carry-on, but then at the very last leg it is taken away from you and you have to wait at the loving baggage claim thing after all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

blinkyzero posted:

What the hell planes are you guys on with United that don't have seatback TVs? Every United flight we've been on has had them.

Then again, we haven't flown United since last summer, so maybe they're frigging with their intercontinental fleets. If that's the case, no loving way will I get on a United plane. Bloodnose is right: no TV can go to hell.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_B.php

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Yup, that's what I'm on as well.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Oh yeah 747s are gross, we always got 777 Dreamliners.

Maybe it's because you guys are flying out of west coast or midwest airports. Whenever we left from Boston or Newark and took the polar route, it was always the larger 777. I guess that would make sense.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I go San Francisco to Hong Kong. It still takes between twelve and fourteen hours and is not fun.

At least I'm prepared for it on the return flight.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, Chicago to Shanghai. Wonder if I had gone the Tokyo route I would have gotten a better ride.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Agreeing with everyone on don't do a tour. I had no trouble with just English.

If you absolutely will not go without one I have friends who went on a tour that was basically dropping you off somewhere and leaving you alone for a few days then moving on. I can ask the name of the company. It was way more expensive than doing it yourself; not an issue for them but if you are normal I wouldn't do it.

Could you find out the name of that company?

Anyways, thanks for all the replies. I don't like tours, but the vast majority of my traveling involves using a car, which gives so much freedom and flexibility. I know this isn't really possible in China, hence the inquiry for a tour without a real guide or daily itinerary. I mean, I've traveled around cities before using only public transportation, but using it for a country the size of China is new territory. My main reasons for visiting are more for the natural sights and less city stuff so that may make things a little trickier as well. I'll keep researching and see how it goes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have any experience dealing with Apple resellers in China? I have an iPhone that is having major battery issues and need to get it looked at. Any place in Beijing that is recommended to deal with western-purchased Apple products?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with Apple resellers in China? I have an iPhone that is having major battery issues and need to get it looked at. Any place in Beijing that is recommended to deal with western-purchased Apple products?

Most repair guys will be fine. I have enough friends who have used them with little to no issue. If you have any sort of warranty an Apple store is the place to go.

Apples products are basically the same worldwide so your iPhone will be fine.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just know a lot of the Tianjin ones are total poo poo, the Apple reseller I go to here in Tianjin is good but I'm not sure if they'll be able to fix it. I messaged the guy this morning, haven't heard back, they open at 10 though so I might just head over and hit him up. He's a cool dude. Thanks MK.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

At least you aren't flying US Airways!

Really though all American airlines suck for some reason. I got for Japan, Korea or even Air Canada every chance I get.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

systran posted:

My favorite new bullshit airline thing:

1) They charge you $50-$100 to check a bag, so everyone brings bags that they would rather check as carry-on.
2) Flight attendants notice that everyone is trying to bring on giant-rear end bags and that there will not be sufficient overhead bin space.
3) They offer to check your bags, "Free of charge," but you already had to haul the loving thing through security and to the gate.
4) Often you don't get the "We'll check this for free" offer until your second or third connecting flight, meaning you had to do all the extra hassle and stress of carry-on, but then at the very last leg it is taken away from you and you have to wait at the loving baggage claim thing after all.

I like to purposely board late so I can check my carry on. United does have that new satellite wifi on their airplanes. I'll take that over an in flight entertainment system any day.

Also loving stay away from most all Chinese tourist agencies. They are huge scams. Friend took one to Thailand (flights were dirt cheap through the agency) and enjoyed every meal in shady Chinese restaurants and shopping in Chinese owned establishments. They even fine you if you don't follow the agenda. I was looking at them because they had 4 night trips to Korea at 3000 all inclusive, but gently caress that, it was 3 hours a day visiting a tourist sight and 6 hours being dragged around to lovely shops for "Korean Shopping".

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yeah, Chicago to Shanghai. Wonder if I had gone the Tokyo route I would have gotten a better ride.

AA had some really good priced flights from ORD to PEK recently. Should've got on one of those. GF will be flying round trip on a 777 for ~$950

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Economy in Korean Air's A380 was awesome. The seat width and height is easily survivable even for a 6'2" big fella. Forget United, I'm gonna go with what I know. United sounds like a mess, it isn't worth saving $200.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You should be flying Korean Air pretty much every chance you get, IMO.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

Economy in Korean Air's A380 was awesome. The seat width and height is easily survivable even for a 6'2" big fella. Forget United, I'm gonna go with what I know. United sounds like a mess, it isn't worth saving $200.

I've flown in the A380 a few times and it really is a nice plane.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I fly United but as an ANA codeshare. ANA members get better benefits. My overweight baggage fees were half what they were charging United members. :getin:
Also ANA/JAL only charge $100/leg for domestic connections to ANA international flights.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

You should be flying Korean Air pretty much every chance you get, IMO.

Keep your racism in the LAN thread.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Cathay is also nice, but I am forever biased because I once flew their HKG-ORD route and was upgraded to business at the gate.

Flying ever since has been disappointing

But if you can get on a 787 or A380 back to the US at some point, do it. The cabins are meant to actually be comfortable to real people, which is a marked contrast from every other flight in economy. Ever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I wish there was a service where some guys came to my house, anesthetized me, and then I woke up at my destination.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm sure you can find someone to accommodate your tastes. :pervert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MeramJert posted:

I wish there was a service where some guys came to my house, anesthetized me, and then I woke up at my destination.

I would pay for this service on any cross-Pacific flight.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I'm just gonna go to the Doc and get a temporary xanax prescription.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I can arrange that for you but your destination will be a bathtub full of ice with a phone next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Personal flight screens, usb charging ports, 3.5mm head phone jacks, and better planes make flying enjoyable. I used to fly from Vancouver to Tokyo and then Hong Kong solo as an 8 year old kid. Flying then really sucked. Everyone had to watch the same movie at bad viewing angles, planes were bumpy and slower, dining tables shaky, ugh.

Oh and people were smoking too so sometimes you get stuck in a smoke pit.

But back then I had a game boy and 12 pack of nickel cadmium batteries for my game boy. Monochrome tetris was the bomb for air travel.