Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had their characters or trinkets disappear? I see some reports about that and I am concerned. Unrelated to that, jesus game stop giving me witch doctors and occultists.

Sometimes your heroes at the bar will get drunk and 'misplace' them, and presumably some peasant nicks them and pawns them. Sometimes they will wager them in the gambling hall and lose them. I don't believe this ever happens at the brothel or the chapel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

odiv posted:

(Can we have dog armour DLC?)

Or could we just get it for free?

Crasical posted:

I don't believe this ever happens at the brothel or the chapel, though.

Heroes can go on vision quests at the chapel.

Baiku fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 28, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kooriken posted:

I'm not sold on the Jester. What, exactly, is his role? All the other classes I like or at least can understand what they are supposed to be accomplishing, but the Jester just seems....all over the place.

Personally, I boost his dodge and crit, and use him for stacked buffing, stacking bleeds along with Hellions/BHs/Highwaymen, and finishing back row wounded enemies. His camping skills are also rather good.

He works a lot better if your team has at least some heroes who can also shuffle position. He usually boosts my team's crit rate so high that it's not uncommon for them to leave with less stress than they entered, on account of all the crits.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Crasical posted:

Sometimes your heroes at the bar will get drunk and 'misplace' them, and presumably some peasant nicks them and pawns them. Sometimes they will wager them in the gambling hall and lose them. I don't believe this ever happens at the brothel or the chapel, though.

Yes, I know about these. I mean that it literally disappear forever from your roster - a guy on Steam had Dismas disappear like that. He wasn't in the roster or taking space, he wasn't in the graveyard yet he never reappeared.

GunnarHelmudsson
May 21, 2013

The last time I saw this face was July 4th, 1969. I am very sure that's the man who shot me.
I just lost Reynauld to the Swine God because it turns out the upper-level bosses have much higher resistances, and you can't just stunlock them into submission. Also, the Arbalest is my current favourite class and I don't know if it's just the specific setup I have or what, but I rarely have any reason to not open by spamming Suppressing Fire- the way crits work in this game means there's basically a 100% chance of critting at least one of the three creatures I'm hitting, as well as debuffing everyone. If the first creature in line is size 2, it hits all four!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't know if they've changed it, but at least before the penalties and bonuses to damage were additive, so if a skill was -50% dmg and you gave them a +50% dmg boost it does normal damage. I recall early in the thread someone damage boosted jester up a bunch so his rank1 attack was hitting decent hard against all spots along with a debuff. It is also why a 2 occultist 2 highwayman party works well in medium/long dungeons, you camp right away and dump clean guns (10 acc, 20% dmg, 5% crit) and dark strength (+20% dmg) and now your grapeshot is -10% dmg to first 3 ranks, so you can just unload all over them. Occultists have a pretty strong skill set (positioning, multi-rank back attacks, a stun, solid debuff options) and high crit so usually your group should end a run with little to no stress.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Who do you normally have chilling out in the rear of your formation? I find myself often without someone to fill that role. Vestals and Arbalasts seem fine hanging out there, but Occultists and Plague Doctors (Not that I want to use plague doctors at all) seem to be happier one step forward so they can get their knives in.

I guess a grave robber who's got all the thrown skills and Toxin Trickery or Lunge works, but again, I'd rather have her one forward so I can Pick to the Face if necessary. You could also put together a buffing Man at Arms who's using Command, Bolster, and Defender, but I don't know how effective that would be compared to having them on the front-lines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Crasical posted:

Who do you normally have chilling out in the rear of your formation? I find myself often without someone to fill that role. Vestals and Arbalasts seem fine hanging out there, but Occultists and Plague Doctors (Not that I want to use plague doctors at all) seem to be happier one step forward so they can get their knives in.

I guess a grave robber who's got all the thrown skills and Toxin Trickery or Lunge works, but again, I'd rather have her one forward so I can Pick to the Face if necessary. You could also put together a buffing Man at Arms who's using Command, Bolster, and Defender, but I don't know how effective that would be compared to having them on the front-lines.

Arbalest really kind of has the back slot on lockdown. The Plague Doctor can get around needing to use Incision most of the time which makes her one of the better back-rank characters... which says a lot more about the lack of back rank capable classes than it does about the Plague Doctor.

There aren't a lot of circumstances where Pick to the Face is preferable to Lunge. If you get shuffled by an ambush and don't want to push a frontliner further back you might hold off on lunging, but in that instance it doesn't really matter where your GR was hanging out to begin with. The bigger issue is that if you're lunging from the back rank then someone else is going to wind up in the back rank and then you're back at square 1.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Crasical posted:

Pretty much always vestal or arbalest, yeah. Maybe occasionally an occultist, but his backline offense skills aren't great unless you're just setting up marks for bounty hunters.

Hypothetically you could do a jester but clowns are the worst.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Graarrgh. Never enough crests!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I last played, pre-Arbalest, I put my Plague Doctor in the last row. She could bomb, blight and stun everyone I needed her to from there, as well as use her heal (which is more proactive most of the time; stopping a 2+ damage bleed/blight ASAP prevents as much or more damage than the other healers could actually heal) when needed. That was useful.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Someone mentioned this a few pages ago re: Bounty Hunter usefulness, and keyed in on what has become my go-to team lately: Arb-Occ-BH-MaA.
I've been sweeping dungeons with very little difficulty with these guys, and often leave long dungeons with less stress than I started with.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Gabriel Pope posted:

Arbalest really kind of has the back slot on lockdown. The Plague Doctor can get around needing to use Incision most of the time which makes her one of the better back-rank characters... which says a lot more about the lack of back rank capable classes than it does about the Plague Doctor.

There aren't a lot of circumstances where Pick to the Face is preferable to Lunge. If you get shuffled by an ambush and don't want to push a frontliner further back you might hold off on lunging, but in that instance it doesn't really matter where your GR was hanging out to begin with. The bigger issue is that if you're lunging from the back rank then someone else is going to wind up in the back rank and then you're back at square 1.

I just illogically dislike the rank-shuffling moves outside of very specific circumstances (One of my regular teams has a Crusader and Jester who frolick about the first two ranks with Dirk Stab and Holy Lance). I don't like Lunge even though it's mechanically superior because once you do it you're out of position and can't do it again, so you really need to be sure the fight is going to end the round you use it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Crasical posted:

I don't like Lunge even though it's mechanically superior because once you do it you're out of position and can't do it again, so you really need to be sure the fight is going to end the round you use it.

If you're not going to use Lunge in the first place, then losing access to Lunge is not a drawback. 1 Lunge > 0 Lunges. You're not really gaining anything by saving your damage burst to end the fight instead of busting it out ASAP.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
With the new +virtue trinkets, has anyone tried deliberately triggering virtue on a run? I tried it with double holy orders on a crusader in the ruins, but I didn't run into enough books to burn to make it work (the stress resist put me just under 100, coming from 0 stress). Is there a reliable way to generate large amounts of stress that I'm not thinking of?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You can always pass turns in combat, but that causes more problems for you than just stress.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Have a guy who's bad at traps click on all the traps? You get 10-15 stress for triggering a trap. Maybe bring some extra food and bandages or whatever if you aren't sure you can spare the hp.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Crasical posted:

I just illogically dislike the rank-shuffling moves outside of very specific circumstances (One of my regular teams has a Crusader and Jester who frolick about the first two ranks with Dirk Stab and Holy Lance). I don't like Lunge even though it's mechanically superior because once you do it you're out of position and can't do it again, so you really need to be sure the fight is going to end the round you use it.

I never had any problems with it, my go to team atm is lance crusader, highwayman and GR that hop around like ADD toddlers.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The Jester's actually pretty loving good once you get the buff aura up a few ranks - the buff actually stacks with itself and will make your entire party critmonsters

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Welp, finally lost my Reynaud and Dismas. Swine God was a way bigger difficulty spike than I had imagined--loving Wilbur had my Vestal stunlocked for 3 turns out of every 4.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I had a leper leveled up finally, buffed he's doing like 100+ damage crits. "Unstoppable!" Then he went up against Swine God and died. That guy is a dick.

Got my revenge with double highwayman point-blank cheese.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm through 10 boss fights without losing a single character. I feel like the game could maybe be a bit harder.

Do buff skills get more important in Tier 3? I feel like at this point losing the turn worth of damage is never worth it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
A few skills have buffs as a side effect and those are ok. The only time pure buff skills are useful are against the Flesh if you're waiting for a vulnerable spot to open, and even then they're not especially great.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Camp buff skills, on the other hand, are loving ridiculously important at higher levels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mushrooman posted:

With the new +virtue trinkets, has anyone tried deliberately triggering virtue on a run? I tried it with double holy orders on a crusader in the ruins, but I didn't run into enough books to burn to make it work (the stress resist put me just under 100, coming from 0 stress). Is there a reliable way to generate large amounts of stress that I'm not thinking of?
A couple characters can increase stress during camping, and also you could try walking around backward for a bit.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Jesus, the whole "lvl 3+ dudes won't do quests with lower level dudes" is totally fuckin stupid

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

I AM BRAWW posted:

Jesus, the whole "lvl 3+ dudes won't do quests with lower level dudes" is totally fuckin stupid

Well they can, but they can't do lower level quests. You can bring lower level dudes to higher quests.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well they can, but they can't do lower level quests. You can bring lower level dudes to higher quests.

It might just be my imagination but lowbies in higher-level dungeons seem to stress out WAY faster. Even if you're just bringing a vestal or occultist along for healing/support in the back-row you should consider drugging the poo poo out of them with Snake Oil or loading them with Calming Crystals.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I AM BRAWW posted:

you can change that in the files if you want. it'll make the game a lot easier if you do it all the time, but you're a grownup so who cares

step 1: go to \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign\quest and open quest.json in a text editor
step 2: search for "resolve_level_threshold_table" without the quotes.
step 3: change this:
code:
"resolve_level_threshold_table":
            [
            ]
to this:

code:
            [
            ]

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 5, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Crasical posted:

It might just be my imagination but lowbies in higher-level dungeons seem to stress out WAY faster. Even if you're just bringing a vestal or occultist along for healing/support in the back-row you should consider drugging the poo poo out of them with Snake Oil or loading them with Calming Crystals.

Yeah, they do. The game specifically tells you this in fact. It's usually an awful idea, their stress will spiral out of control pretty quick.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

S.J. posted:

Yeah, they do. The game specifically tells you this in fact. It's usually an awful idea, their stress will spiral out of control pretty quick.

As victories mount, so too will resistance.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Doctor Schnabel posted:

you can change that in the files if you want. it'll make the game a lot easier if you do it all the time, but you're a grownup so who cares

step 1: go to \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign\quest and open quest.json in a text editor
step 2: search for "resolve_level_threshold_table" without the quotes.
step 3: change this:
code:
            [
            ]
to this:

code:
            [
            ]

Thank you. I want to have fun, and well the whole "your two best dudes are now level 3 .. let 'em sit for a bit while you get these other dudes up to level 3 ahhhhhhhhh gently caress those level 2 dudes just got wiped because your dumb rear end placed a torch inside an altar and a shambling horror came out!!" was bleh.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Most will end up here, buried beneath the poisoned earth.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Losing both Reynauld and Dismas should be gameover.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I edited the file that lets you have a larger roster of dudes, and the game feels way better to me now. Also there's a bug where when equipping trinkets on the choose a mission screen while you have more people than vanilla allows, it crashes. It doesn't happen when equipping trinkets in town though, so it's easy to avoid.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Houndmaster and expanded Sanitarium coming the 15th, along with "corpses in combat", whatever that means.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hmmm. Resurrection potential? Or maybe just having the bodies remain in the party line-up so you can keep someone in the fourth rank if you feel it's needed?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah, sounds like corpses means your fourth-row guy with no moves usable from the front rank won't get shoved to the front and be helpless if everyone else dies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Here's hoping the Houndmaster turns out to be good. Wanna fight eldritch horrors with that dogge :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnarHelmudsson
May 21, 2013

The last time I saw this face was July 4th, 1969. I am very sure that's the man who shot me.

Phrasing posted:

Losing both Reynauld and Dismas should be gameover.

Why? They're just two more mercenaries to be fed into the dark insatiable maw of horror that is

Darkest Dungeon

musical sting

...the poor caretaker...