Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's a really good reason to watch preseason this year and it's bortles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bortles is going to start against actual NFL players at some point; his competition is like Chad Henne and Future Face of the Big Ten Network Ricky Stanzi. That will be way funnier.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

It will be very intriguing to see whether he's an NFL caliber punter.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

and sankey

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

I like that you think there is some argument lurking out there that's going to trap me and force me to like a thing I don't like. It's subjective. You can still watch the Hall of Fame game if you want.

Chichevache posted:

If you don't care about fringe players and rookies fighting for their careers then that's fine, I understand.

Woah, it is almost like my post had a nod to subjectivity in it the whole time! :aaa:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Pron on VHS posted:

we are not all nerd losers taking notes on how a 3rd string safety backpedals

hosed up if true

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Pron on VHS posted:

we are not all nerd losers taking notes on how a 3rd string safety backpedals

Who said anything about that? Its Football on tv when we haven't had football on tv since February. Lots of people think it's entertaining enough to at least throw on while getting poo poo faced...if you don't...don't watch!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
e: why am I encouraging Chiche to post more, nevermind

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

You can still watch the Hall of Fame game if you want.

Woah, now. No need to straw man me. The HOF game is lovely even when your team plays.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Shath Hole posted:

Who said anything about that? Its Football on tv when we haven't had football on tv since February. Lots of people think it's entertaining enough to at least throw on while getting poo poo faced...if you don't...don't watch!

I will loving watch it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Pron on VHS posted:

I will loving watch it.

And you'll like it! :getin:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

Bortles is going to start against actual NFL players at some point; his competition is like Chad Henne and Future Face of the Big Ten Network Ricky Stanzi. That will be way funnier.
He will start at some point, after the Super Bowl Champion Jaguars trade him and draft a late round backup for MVP Chad Henne

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Edit.

You deleted your post so I'll delete mine. But writing me off as "lol he bad poster" seems a tad childish and we can always just take this to PMs instead.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I want to watch Luck throw cool rear end passes to Reggie Wayne. I want to watch him scramble and everyone be surprised and go: "wow he runs pretty well."

I do not want to watch someone named Chandler Harnish get sacked and throw lovely passes to Josh Lenz

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jordan Lynch: Running Back is brought to you by the NFL preseason

e: NFL preseason is also basically the only time I get to see Northwestern guys in the pros. PREPARE TO BE COLTERED, SOME AS YET UN-CUT FREE AGENT IN THE LAST MINUTE OF A MEANINGLESS FOOTBALL GAME

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Northwestern students don't go to the NFL, getting paid would hurt Northwestern in their run at a National Championship

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the preseason as a college football nerd because it's full of "hey, it's that guy!" moments. This is also why I'll watch five minutes of a CFL or Arena game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The teams don't even care about winning the game (except the Jets) and play super vanilla to avoid giving up regular season game plans. Preseason can gently caress off. I watch maybe the first ten minutes just for the 'football is on' factor then find something else to watch

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many of the people who like pre-season have Game Center/Rewind and don't have to put up with ads?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Preseason football is a good reminder for family members that Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays are about to become no fly zones once again. It's an annual right of passage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Third week of preseason is pretty entertaining because the poo poo teams really suck and then they suck in the regular season

Matt Flynn played the first half and was 3/6 for 19 yards and 2 interceptions

Eli Manning played the first half and was 8/20 for 83 yards (4 YPA)

Christian Ponder had a 5.0 YPA

Josh Freeman was 6/16 for 59 yards (3.7 YPA) and he played three quarters

It's like Summer League in the NBA, if you're good in NFL preseason it doesn't mean much, if you suck, UH OH

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Preseason football is the methadone that you get 48 hours after your last fix. Its doesn't do much, just enough to take the edge off and get you til you can get the good poo poo, or quit completely which lets face is never going to happen.

edit: The only thing preseason football can tell you is if your team is going to be bad. It won't tell you if they are going to be good.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

On August 8th, Jimmy Clausen and Mark Sanchez are going to complete against each other on the field of glory. I loving dare you to not call that real football

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Daily Show is covering the Ray Rice story.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It helps to be really drunk at a preseason game.

I keep forgetting the Browns kicked Bernie out of the booth and replaced him with Solomon loving Wilcots. (a man so bad I can vividly recall starting our family tradition of muting CBS and all games for the "CLEVELAND BROWNS RADIO NETWORK"). gently caress that noise.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

He's serviceable
Strongly disagree

swickles posted:

I bet that's going to be an informative segment with lots of good jokes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

swickles posted:

That segment was so loving TFF.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Northwestern students don't go to the NFL, getting paid would hurt Northwestern in their run at a National Championship

I don't mind making fun of Northwestern players thinking they might win something because lol, but that burn didn't really make a lot of sense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They didn't want to unionize and get paid because they said it might hurt their chances of winning a National Championship

e: found the quote, it was actually the Big Ten Championship, but the quote is literally

“What’s important for this team is being able to win a Big Ten championship, and I think a union might hurt us in that goal."

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

swickles posted:

edit: The only thing preseason football can tell you is if your team is going to be bad. It won't tell you if they are going to be good.

Sadly this isn't even true. I've watched teams go 4-0 and look great in preseason, only to find out that was their ceiling and they subsequently win 4-5 games the rest of the year. The preseason is loving awesome though and I'm legit excited it's finally here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay I knew I wasn't crazy when I thought "wait a minute that could certainly be reduced", so there is a chance Gordon's suspension gets reduced:

quote:

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com there's a "slight chance" Josh Gordon could reach a settlement with the NFL where his one-year suspension is reduced.

Per PFT's Mike Florio, "Any deal presumably would entail a suspension for Gordon that lasts less than a year."

This would be much better news for Gordon than the original notion of an "all or nothing" situation in Friday's appeal sitdown with hearing officer Harold Henderson, whereby either the one-year suspension would stand in full, or be erased. (The suspension isn't getting erased, by all accounts.)

Florio reports "a ruling is expected fairly soon."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I love preseason because I spend the off-season obsessed with the bottom of the roster. I took my sister to a preseason game last year & she fell asleep though... I understand the second more than the first.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

They didn't want to unionize and get paid because they said it might hurt their chances of winning a National Championship

e: found the quote, it was actually the Big Ten Championship, but the quote is literally

“What’s important for this team is being able to win a Big Ten championship, and I think a union might hurt us in that goal."

I'm aware of the quote, but I think your joke was a large reach because graduated NFL players cannot win Big Ten championships, sorry.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Strongly disagree

I mean, you can, but you're wrong. I'm well familiar with Gregory. He was the definition of serviceable here.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Preseason will be fun because Manziel will probably be the backup for the first 2 games and destroy a bunch of scrubs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

I love preseason because I spend the off-season obsessed with the bottom of the roster. I took my sister to a preseason game last year & she fell asleep though... I understand the second more than the first.

Take me next time. The Niners always have a rookie or two I rooted for in college.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He was atrocious in New England, couldn't run with anyone, got lost in coverage all the time and couldn't tackle anyone 1-on-1. And I imagine that would be closer to what you'd expect if you're KC.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Pre season is very important to the players who might make the roster. Since I am one of them, it's important to me

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you don't like watching some running back with half an ounce of talent carving up 3rd stringers while the starters crack jokes on the sidelines you're not a true football field.

Also last year had some cool moments. Luke Keuchely going full video game mode against the Ravens was cool as poo poo to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

football fuckerman posted:

Pre season is very important to the players who might make the roster. Since I am one of them, it's important to me

Who you?

• Locked thread