Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pepito sanchez posted:

why oop bad

3 words or less

dynamic dispatch

here i have an even shorter one:

subtyping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

dynamic dispatch

here i have an even shorter one:

subtyping
show me on the doll where the legacy code touched you

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
*points to dilznick*

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

*points to dilznick*

i figured yr dilznick was purely virtual

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why oop bad

JewKiller 3000 posted:

*points to dilznick*

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

triple sulk posted:

if u dont use a language with semicolons u hosed up

in mumps, comments begin with semicolons

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

also lisp

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
#|lisp comment syntax owns|#

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
gently caress you

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

in JCL, every valid line of code begins with a double slash

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
you niggas forget ; is comments on mafaking assembly, the king of no languages and all

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

nice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

i mean IRC as a protocol can probably be adapted to the enterprise but only if you put a graphical client in front of it that will autoconnect to the right server and hide all of its legacy horror

e: and i mean graphical too, not some x11 "console in a window" hsit

ee:

the client side is not the terrible part of irc. it's the server

no one wants to employ a neckbeard in a metallica t-shirt to do nothing but attend to the care and feeding of badly written 1990s irc service bots

in any case, slack and hipchat solve both the client and server problems cheaply and are moving towards compliance products. it's a no-brainer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
things that are better about irc than proprietary services:

1. it runs inside your firewall

actually that's all i can come up with

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well that and being dependent upon a third part company not closing shop or changing to dumb terms of service or whatever.

I mean, yeah I'd still use slack or whatever, but its something to consider.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

moving towards compliance products. it's a no-brainer

like 27001? lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the client side is not the terrible part of irc. it's the server

no one wants to employ a neckbeard in a metallica t-shirt to do nothing but attend to the care and feeding of badly written 1990s irc service bots

in any case, slack and hipchat solve both the client and server problems cheaply and are moving towards compliance products. it's a no-brainer

why would ou need bots inside a corpnet

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
just use xmpp, no dependency on third party internet services and there are clients for every platform and plenty of decent servers that can tie into your corporate ldap or whatever

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

name and shaming services for build breaks, deployment and outage alerts, etc

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
idk what I would do without our ticket bot in irc, love that thing

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Soricidus posted:

just use xmpp, no dependency on third party internet services and there are clients for every platform and plenty of decent servers that can tie into your corporate ldap or whatever

i want to believe

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

way better to dump automated poo poo in a channel or a forum than in your inbox.

for ex: pagerduty integration, so when things are on fire everyone knows, and people can take pages before they escalate to the on call

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hipchat already do on site https://www.hipchat.com/server

afaik it's not on slack's todo list, i imagine they're going to wait for feature dev to slow down before doing corp stuff/take ipo

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pepito sanchez posted:

why oop bad

3 words or less

designed by programmers

oop isn't bad, no more than if statements, or gotos are bad. it's just more obvious now when it is bad, than when the ideas first took hold. it's still not obvious enough, mind.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pepito sanchez posted:

you niggas forget ; is comments on mafaking assembly, the king of no languages and all

I assume you mean x86 assembly? The only assembly I've worked with was MIPS (for my intro to compilers class) and there the comments are '#' instead.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it's not the architecture, it's the assembler

the funniest thing in the asm world is people talking about "x86 assembly" when there are two widely known but massively divergent syntaxes from two different platform assemblers

humor in the asm world is very bleak

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

the funniest thing in the asm world is people talking about "x86 assembly" when there are two widely known but massively divergent syntaxes from two different platform assemblers

masm 4lyfe

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

rjmccall posted:

there's the one that's sensible that's by intel

and then there's the one everyone uses :sigh:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

i still think the entirety of ppc is a joke i haven't gotten

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
xor and xor. are two different instructions because why not

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ppcinstructions

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

rip z0r

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

the dotted version updates the status/condition register (similar to x86) while the undotted version skips the update. it's a freebie optimisation if you aren't going to branch based on the result

ppc has plenty of insanity to go around though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

travelling wave posted:

the dotted version updates the status/condition register (similar to x86) while the undotted version skips the update. it's a freebie optimisation if you aren't going to branch based on the result

So it's basically for things like RAID-5 controllers or various crytpo functions where you want to xor things for the value they spit out rather than to do conditional execution based on those values? Neat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

travelling wave posted:

that's a great link

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahmeni posted:

name and shaming services for build breaks, deployment and outage alerts, etc
then you're talking about nice to have stuff, not something necessary for employee-employee communication. if you're going to have info agents in your chat system then someone would have to program those whatever the system is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you should check out riscv it's really pretty and might actually even ship silicon some day

http://riscv.org/

rjmccall says it's poo poo though :(

regarding your comment about bloated function prolog/epilog they do actually address that in the latest draft of the compressed ISA though, something along the lines of "emit calls to some out-of-line prolog/epilog functions then, we're not adding a load-multiple or store-multiple instruction"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

no push notifications, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

you should check out riscv it's really pretty and might actually even ship silicon some day

http://riscv.org/

rjmccall says it's poo poo though :(

regarding your comment about bloated function prolog/epilog they do actually address that in the latest draft of the compressed ISA though, something along the lines of "emit calls to some out-of-line prolog/epilog functions then, we're not adding a load-multiple or store-multiple instruction"

lol