Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dominic White posted:

It wasn't a very ambitious game, though. More of a linear action-RPG/brawler hybrid. No doubt it was polished though.

Just remember that Baldur's Gate 2 needed about 8 years of fan-patching until everything was properly squared away. Big RPGs are effectively impossible to test fully with any traditional 5-50 person QA team. You need to throw hundreds or thousands of players at it to find everything.

Just remember how many patches Skyrim got before everything stabilized. I do still kinda miss the mammoths falling from the sky, though.

True, it is a good example of how Obsidian can actually make decent games if they're not set up to fail by the publishers, though. Pillars of Eternity is amazing, even with the bugs, and those will get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a thread for Pillars of Eternity discussion/screaming about how Bethesda can't melt steel beams, y'know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like this thread because it isn't full of Pillars spoilers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Kins posted:

There's a thread for Pillars of Eternity discussion/screaming about how Bethesda can't melt steel beams, y'know.

It's true, we should get back to anime already.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GreenNight posted:

same

PoE is a huge game though, the major stat bugs are pretty whack that the game shipped with it but a fix is incoming at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kanfy posted:

Their problem isn't that they have bad QA, it's that they almost exclusively make big and complex games with a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

And the beta testers really just care about STATS balancing and things impacting their STATS, rather than other bugs. :colbert:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Drifter posted:

And the beta testers really just care about STATS balancing and things impacting their STATS, rather than other bugs. :colbert:

That still makes it pretty hilarious how "Doubleclick on inventory items to erase your racial perks" managed to slip though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

That still makes it pretty hilarious how "Doubleclick on inventory items to erase your racial perks" managed to slip though.

My statement is flawed. Like the beta testers. I can admit that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Best April 1st thing ever: War Thunder decided to add inflatable, potato-shooting tanks (whose crewmen move around as if they were the Flintstones if you use the X-RAY function) and Star Wars mechs.

I really want this to be its own separate game and not just an April's Fools thing.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 1, 2015

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I like this thread because it allows me to play games vicariously and confirms my disdain for TB.

Anyway, looks like Dirt 3 is now free of GFWL, and all steam owners were upgraded to the complete edition for free. Also, you can now activate retail and GFWL serials on steam. Now, about FUEL...

e: Save files not compatible, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So War For The Overworld is coming out pretty soon on April 10th, and people keep asking about it occasionally so I'll just say this: If you liked DK2, you'll like WFTO. It is the spiritual successor that gets it right.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 1, 2015

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Two games that need to stop being so proud and get a real sale price going on: Wasteland 2 and Kerbal Space Program. Kerbal came out four years ago, and I've never seen it drop below $15. Kerbal's in "beta" now the same way Gmail was in beta. Team Fortress 2 isn't a perpetual beta just because they keep adding features to it. As far as Wasteland 2, Alien: Isolation came out about the same time and I've already seen it below $10, and it's a AAA title with better reviews.

Orv
May 4, 2011
KSP is worth three times $15, quit being stingy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Kerbal is worth $15 no prob and Wasteland 2 isn't that great even for :10bux:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I like this thread because it allows me to play games vicariously and confirms my disdain for TB.

Anyway, looks like Dirt 3 is now free of GFWL, and all steam owners were upgraded to the complete edition for free. Also, you can now activate retail and GFWL serials on steam. Now, about FUEL...

e: Save files not compatible, though.

Yeah, the way they're doing it is by making it a separate game, in a similar manner to how the Batman games transitioned out of GfWL.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Imagined posted:

Two games that need to stop being so proud and get a real sale price going on:

...whaaaaa? :psyduck:

If you want to play the game so bad, buy it. Don't complain that it doesn't drop in price.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for the price to drop, but you seem awfully entitled in that post.

And don't play Wasteland, play Pillars of Eternity. Or even Divinity: Original Sin. Wasteland is just a giant ball of messy systems all competing to suck their own old-school peezles.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Imagined posted:

Kerbal's in "beta" now the same way Gmail was in beta.
No it's not. It's actually in beta and was in alpha not long ago. It's also cheap and worth getting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Imagined posted:

Kerbal's in "beta" now the same way Gmail was in beta.
KSP is leaving Early Access with a big "1.0" update sometime this year. You should still buy it, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

a7m2 posted:

No it's not. It's actually in beta and was in alpha not long ago. It's also cheap and worth getting.

No, you don't understand, 15 dollars is way too much money for a game that will only entertain you for hundreds of hours and literally teach you more about orbital mechanics than a job at NASA would.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The "no game is worth more than $10" mentality that occasionally springs up in this thread is definitely one of the stupider things that comes from here.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 1, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

The "no game is worth more than $10" mentality that occasionally springs up in this thread is definitely one of the stupider things that come from here.

It's just an evolutionary mutation of the incredibly correct mindset that few games are, in fact, worth more than $10.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Orv posted:

The "no game is worth more than $10" mentality that occasionally springs up in this thread is definitely one of the stupider things that come from here.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I see it more as the poor man's "never pay over 20 for a pc game" which is not bad advise.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drifter posted:

It's just an evolutionary mutation of the incredibly correct mindset that few games are, in fact, worth more than $10.

There's also the inverse of that, where Higher Price = Better Than, which is the only explanation I can come up with for why people pre-order games. Pre-ordering just seems like a phenomenon that's tied mostly to big-budget AAA titles that cost $60 on release.

Games aren't priced based on how good they are, they're priced based on the budget and cost of production, and the time and work they took to make.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
alternatively do pay for wasteland 2 and enjoy an OK isometric apocalyptic game, it wasn't taht bad.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

King Vidiot posted:

There's also the inverse of that, where Higher Price = Better Than, which is the only explanation I can come up with for why people pre-order games. Pre-ordering just seems like a phenomenon that's tied mostly to big-budget AAA titles that cost $60 on release.

Games aren't priced based on how good they are, they're priced based on the budget and cost of production, and the time and work they took to make.

I think people probably preorder because they want to play the game day one rather than wait and sometimes get bonuses for it and they think it'll be worth the money.

Just a theory.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

People preorder games for the bonus material that they throw in with the purchase.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dominic White posted:

It wasn't a very ambitious game, though. More of a linear action-RPG/brawler hybrid. No doubt it was polished though.

Just remember that Baldur's Gate 2 needed about 8 years of fan-patching until everything was properly squared away. Big RPGs are effectively impossible to test fully with any traditional 5-50 person QA team. You need to throw hundreds or thousands of players at it to find everything.

Just remember how many patches Skyrim got before everything stabilized. I do still kinda miss the mammoths falling from the sky, though.

And it's still a broken occasionally unplayable pile of poo poo where quests will break constantly, I feel bad for anyone that plays it on a console and has no access to a developer console.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

In actually funny April Fools content, apparently Dying Light is having a one-day event/patch thingy that gives everyone super-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cUe3Cvk28

An April Fool's "joke" that actually makes the game more fun to play for a few hours? That has to be the actual joke.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kanfy posted:

I think people are a bit too married to the D&D definition of Wizards which is "poo poo tons of damage everywhere". Wizards in PoE are a jack-of-all-trades class and they were never designed to be top damage dealers, but instead have a large variety of abilities for a large variety of situations.

Also the spell is called Slicken and it alone makes Wizards worthwhile because it's hilarious to watch 8 ogres simultaneously slip and fall down, complete with a screen-shake effect when they hit the ground.

Honestly D&D wizards aren't really "poo poo tons of damage everywhere" either. They are the ultimate jack of all trades, except they're also masters of space and time instead of 'none'.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The best indie bundle has surfaced.

https://groupees.com/taxyear

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Gyshall posted:

alternatively do pay for wasteland 2 and enjoy an OK isometric apocalyptic game, it wasn't taht bad.

For two sets of :10bux: you can get Eternity which is better than Wasteland in literally every way, even though the setting is superficially less interesting

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

This bundle is straight up trolling.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

It's... beautiful...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Needs more Eternity Child.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I love that the 1,000 sales bonus is a second copy of Bad Rats.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

I hope there will be a compatible savegame available for the steamworks version of Dirt 3 so I can skip the awful gymkhana poo poo again.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

I love that the 1,000 sales bonus is a second copy of Bad Rats.

:allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

There's also the Humble Indie Ballyhoo for your April Fools bundle fun, which consists of, uh, PDF instruction sheets.

Pay Whatever:
Stickball
Hoop Trundling
Ball and Cup

Pay $0.10:
Stickball: Premium Edition

Beat The Average:
Pie Pan Throwing Disc
Horseshoes
Spinning Top
The Warm Glow That Comes From Donating An Entire Dollar To Charity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

RhoA posted:

People preorder games for the bonus material that they throw in with the purchase.

I remember when I used to preorder physical game copies because I wanted to be sure it didn't sell out.

I think I still have a faded receipt for Starcraft Ghost somewhere too...

Arnold of Soissons posted:

For two sets of :10bux: you can get Eternity which is better than Wasteland in literally every way, even though the setting is superficially less interesting

True, Eternity thus far has been exceptional. I'm just saying, instead of being cheap/poor buy all the games because you might enjoy them ~~

• Locked thread