Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If a remake of Murder on the Orient Express is what's needed to get the Lumet version on blu, then let's do it.

Seriously though, why isn't this movie on blu-ray? It's a goddamn classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Everyone knows the ending if this was like, fuckin, 1935. It's 2017, people don't about that stuff. You think the kids watching Pewdiepie and dubstep know about Agatha Christie?

I think Agatha Christie and Pewdiepie have more in common than you realize.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Everyone knows the ending if this was like, fuckin, 1935. It's 2017, people don't about that stuff. You think the kids watching Pewdiepie and dubstep know about Agatha Christie?

Somehow I don't think the YouTube generation is the target audience for the film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Seriously though, why isn't this movie on blu-ray? It's a goddamn classic.

I just remembered another one of my favorite movies that's still not in HD anywhere.

Well, Torque eventually got to bluray so I just have to be patient. On to more recent things:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 4, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think Agatha Christie and Pewdiepie have more in common than you realize.

Pewdiepie is a nazi, but Agatha Christie was just an old-fashioned traditional British super-racist. Totally different

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Yes please.

edit: swapped out links for much higher resolution

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pewdiepie is a nazi, but Agatha Christie was just an old-fashioned traditional British super-racist. Totally different

What are you talking about? I'm referring to each being the voice of their generation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rawillkill posted:

Yes please.

edit: swapped out links for much higher resolution

Those posters are awesome side by side.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm looking forward to the new Murder on the Orient Express, honestly. Branagh has proven himself as an actor and director, and opulent murder mysteries are always fun.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Most egregious use of the term "visionary director" I've ever seen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Single-star action movie posters must be the easiest posters in the world to make. Have the star aim a gun at something off to the side, put him in front of a blurred city background, and take an early lunch.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Single-star action movie posters must be the easiest posters in the world to make. Have the star aim a gun at something off to the side, put him in front of a blurred city background, and take an early lunch.

Don't forget the sparks! "Where are they coming from?" the viewer asks. A car exploding? A celebratory bonfire? A metaphor for love blooming between two humans?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lelandjs posted:

I just don't get why they're remaking MotOE. Half of the appeal of the original is the whodunit, and everyone knows that by now. I'm sure they'll probably change the ending for this one, but the ending in the story is so surprising and perfect that I can't see how a new ending will be anything but underwhelming in comparison.

The other half of the appeal was the cast... and they're offering up Josh Gad, Johnny Depp, and the worst fake mustache I've ever seen on film. Given that said mustache appears on the film's director/lead, he obviously thinks the soup strainer is a good idea. I have absolutely no hope that the film will be any good at all.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not sure everyone does know the ending. Like if you went and asked people on the street, I'd be surprised if 1 in 5 people would admit to having heard of it at all. And it's not like the first film was an original screenplay or the Christie novel was obscure. Anyway, it's good to see Depp revisiting his much loved Mortdecai character.

I used to watch Poirot mysteries on A&E as a kid and yet have never gone back to read or watch Orient Express, so even I, a 30 something, have no idea whodunnit.

Palpek posted:

I refuse to believe David Suchet isn't Poirot irl.

Truth.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

marshmallow creep posted:

I used to watch Poirot mysteries on A&E as a kid and yet have never gone back to read or watch Orient Express, so even I, a 30 something, have no idea whodunnit.

I guess I'm wrong about how many people knew the ending. A cursory search reveals that the Simpsons never parodied it, so I guess it's not quite on the same "everyone knows the twist" level as Citizen Kane, The Sixth Sense, and Half-Blood Prince. I'll concede that point, then.

Still think the mustache looks horrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That fact that Harrison Ford is wearing that same gray t-shirt in the poster as the one in the trailer makes me think this is gonna just be an extended cameo. Probably for the best.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The resolution to Murder on the Orient Express is very iconic, it's just that most people don't know it comes from Murder on the Orient Express.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Samuel Clemens posted:

Who was the better Poirot? David Suchet or Peter Ustinov?

John Moffatt

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Basebf555 posted:

That fact that Harrison Ford is wearing that same gray t-shirt in the poster as the one in the trailer makes me think this is gonna just be an extended cameo. Probably for the best.

I'm pretty sure the only way Ford agreed to be in this is with a contractual stipulation that he not have to do anything at all past mumbling some lines, including changing clothes from what he wore in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are so many opportunities to post this and I never miss one.

http://www.theonion.com/article/harrison-ford-begs-agents-to-just-let-him-die-now-34408

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

There are so many opportunities to post this and I never miss one.

http://www.theonion.com/article/harrison-ford-begs-agents-to-just-let-him-die-now-34408

And that was 4 years ago! Guy's been trying to die in a fiery plane crash for like a decade now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty sure they're going to reshoot those Old Man Indiana Jones segments from Young Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford when he's actually that age.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty sure they're going to reshoot those Old Man Indiana Jones segments from Young Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford when he's actually that age.

He's going to die during the opening of Indy 5 and it'll be Indy Jr the rest of the movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just Shia and Kate Capshaw running around the globe solving mysteries in between screaming hysterically.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lelandjs posted:

I guess I'm wrong about how many people knew the ending. A cursory search reveals that the Simpsons never parodied it, so I guess it's not quite on the same "everyone knows the twist" level as Citizen Kane, The Sixth Sense, and Half-Blood Prince. I'll concede that point, then.

Still think the mustache looks horrible.

Get out of your own rear end.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

I suppose you're taking umbrage with the use of my word cursory, which is exactly the correct word to use in context? I guess I could have used "quick" instead, but I feel like the movie posters thread is the wrong place to discuss my verbage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

I suppose you're taking umbrage with the use of my word cursory, which is exactly the correct word to use in context? I guess I could have used "quick" instead, but I feel like the movie posters thread is the wrong place to discuss my verbage.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And into my car.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

Just Shia and Kate Capshaw running around the globe solving mysteries in between screaming hysterically.

I was watching Temple of Doom the other week and I keep forgetting how much of a stone cold fox Kate Capshaw is in that movie. I think she's my favorite of all the female Indy leads.

Shout out to Steve for getting to pipe down on that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I enjoy utilizing my vocabulary to its fullest extent to express my faulty opinions, and your protests will not cause me to cease. :colbert:

[Edit: added the quote I initially omitted by accident]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lelandjs posted:

You could've just said "I was wrong like the dumb gently caress I am" instead of trying to obfuscate the fact with your over indulgent verboseness.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lelandjs posted:

I enjoy utilizing my vocabulary to its fullest extent to express my faulty opinions, and your protests will not cause me to cease. :colbert:

[Edit: added the quote I initially omitted by accident]

You're neither clever or particularly smart.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sarcasm really doesn't translate in text, does it.

[Edit: I mean, come on, no one uses the Colbert emote seriously.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 4, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lelandjs posted:

Sarcasm really doesn't translate in text, does it.

Stupidity does, as evidenced through your posts.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
the twist is that Charles Foster Kane fell out of a window in the first act and the rest of the movie was just a dream

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus christ people are serious as gently caress in this thread

Don't you realize you're​ posting on a dead gay comedy forum?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

the twist is that Charles Foster Kane fell out of a window in the first act and the rest of the movie was just a dream

The Twist is what Chubby Checker did in 1960, you loving racist.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The twist is that Welles himself consider the film an overwrought comedy and so everyone looking at it as anything different is a dodo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Rosebud was the window latch, this explains so much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lelandjs posted:

Jesus christ people are serious as gently caress in this thread

Don't you realize you're​ posting on a dead gay comedy forum?

Stop posting if people not finding you funny is too much for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Why do movie studios keep giving exclusive reveals to Entertainment Weekly when they always end up looking like poo poo?

https://twitter.com/Dammit_Mike/status/860174054191493121

The costumes and actors are what they are, but they're always shot as flat and goofy as possible to do them no favors. I still remember this stuff from Genisys.