Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Moose warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good name for a prog rock band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OtspIII posted:

The dialogue is a bit of a fake-out, in my opinion. Gnosia gameplay is a social deduction puzzle game much more than it is a visual novel--it's been a while, but I think there might even just be literally one line of dialogue each character has per action they can take. You can replace the dialogue with "SQ used Doubt on Stella" in your mind

my issue with Gnosia is that you have to go through way too many loops where "nothing happens". they needed to write at least twice as many lines of dialogue as they did, at minimum

i only kept playing because i knew it was supposed to "get good". and i don't think it ever gets good enough to really overcome its shortcomings

which sucks, because it's an amazing concept and premise

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

precision posted:

my issue with Gnosia is that you have to go through way too many loops where "nothing happens". they needed to write at least twice as many lines of dialogue as they did, at minimum

i only kept playing because i knew it was supposed to "get good". and i don't think it ever gets good enough to really overcome its shortcomings

which sucks, because it's an amazing concept and premise

Were you playing Steam version at release? Because that version had an RNG bug which caused certain events happen way seldom than they were supposed to. It's fixed now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It really sucked too. I finished the switch version in 120 loops. The steam one took me 170 despite me knowing the meta strategies.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Double dipped on Revita, bought it for my Switch first and it seemed great, but I couldn't handle the gamepad controls. I can't seem to get a good grasp on sidescrolling platformer-types like Revita & Neon Abyss on a pad, despite preferring them for most other games. Oh well, got it cheap via Greenmangaming; playing on a keyboard & mouse almost feels like cheating by comparison (although the default controls were clunky as hell there too; switched jump to W and dash to space, and now it's much smoother).

And yeah, game seems great, the "I can just amp the risk & reward by dumping all my health into powerups in the first few biomes"-thing is interesting to play around with.

Also bought the Last Spell & liked it a lot tooearlier. Felt a bit bummed by the metaprogression at first; it sure felt like there's absolutely no way to beat Lakeburg without any unlocks, but apparently people have managed that so I'm just bad!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

Were you playing Steam version at release? Because that version had an RNG bug which caused certain events happen way seldom than they were supposed to. It's fixed now.

nope, even the fixed version has way too much repetition imo. i think it could have been designed/paced a lot better, as is it feels both too random and also too fiddly

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anyone have any kind words for Full Mojo Rampage? I have it in my wishlist but don't remember why--a coop roguelike seems interesting.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I've been enjoying Revita more than I thought I would. I have been playing on the switch, which is great in a lotta ways, but every once in a while it takes a full minute to load a stage for no clear reason. Most of them load instantly, so it's already pretty jarring when it takes a second or two. I thought it had crashed the first time and had to desperately grab the controller again when I started taking damage. When the stages load immediately it feels REALLY good, so I hope there is an update one day that sorts that out. Don't think I'd ever want to get it on a different platform, can't imagine unlocking everything again would be fun. Maybe knowing what every upgrade is before unlocking them would add a meta strategy layer that would be interesting, and maybe things would go a lot faster since theoretically I'm better at the game, but it's still a timesink.

All that nonsense aside it's pretty great and I want to play lots more of it. I've taken exactly one hit from every single of the first 5 bosses an infuriating number of times, including a bunch of times where it was the only hit in the whole area. I think it sucks that there are no labels on the stats, or a lot of things actually - being able to only see the name of a synergy on the collectables pages, and only the icon on the relic pickup UI is a choice. Or not having labels on the various doors you unlock. Just a lot of "it's fine if you have already played a lot or work on the game, but getting to that point sucks" stuff that frankly I completely blame binding of Isaac for. Nevertheless, it's extremely fun to actually play, and I can't wait to get back to it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think I've noticed that weird stage-loading lag on PC too, but it's much much less severe -- like instead of being instant sometimes a new floor will randomly take longer (but still less than 10 seconds) to load. I haven't noticed it at all in the last patch or two and I don't think either of those are out on Switch yet, so hopefully that fixes it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
If you ever have an opportunity to start a run with Black Hole in Revita, I implore you to use the orbit gun with it. There aren't many items that can virtually guarantee a win right off the bat, but that's certainly one of them.

I had one in progress through a ticket but I think the save got mulched by a patch :negative:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

RoboCicero posted:

If you ever have an opportunity to start a run with Black Hole in Revita, I implore you to use the orbit gun with it. There aren't many items that can virtually guarantee a win right off the bat, but that's certainly one of them.

I had one in progress through a ticket but I think the save got mulched by a patch :negative:

Every time I've taken Black Hole it's tanked my run. Now, granted, it was never with the orbit gun, and it's only three times, but still. My DPS jumps into the shitter, with the advantage that my bullets can pass through enemies... even though that's already a different item with no downsides. It's weird.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think the special gimmick with black hole projectiles is that they can tick multiple times on the same enemy. If you have piercing bullets normally and fire them at a boss or something else big, you'll notice that they only do damage to any given target one time no matter how long they stay inside the enemy hitbox.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone have any kind words for Full Mojo Rampage? I have it in my wishlist but don't remember why--a coop roguelike seems interesting.

I haven't played it in years but I remember liking it a great deal when I did, I'll fire it up tomorrow if I have time and see how it's held up.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

All the talk about Time Break Chronicles' combat system made me want to revisit Star Renegades, did anyone else itt enjoy that? I made the mistake of getting it on the Switch when it came out and it was pretty broken, but still fun enough that I played a lot of it for a while and then dropped off when I think my save broke. That was a while ago though, anyone know if it's been patched enough to work well on Switch by now? Their patch notes seem really hard to find.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Some more Cogmind questions if anyone feels like indulging me:

I feel like I must be missing something but getting parts from defeated enemies seems to be getting increasingly difficult as I go up in floors, presumably because the stronger enemies soak up more damage before dying. This seems fine except I have almost no way to survive gradual attrition. I am becoming aware that part of this may be due to my weapon selection (I am using a lot of thermal weapons) but it seems like the majority of weapon classes have something which prevents you from getting salvage:

Big guns like explosives and cannons just blow everything the gently caress up

Thermal weapons make dropped components melt before you can salvage them

EM weapons corrupt components (and also make enemies detonate sometimes which makes them not ideal for some fights)

Is there some other factor in play here that I'm missing?

Also I'm finding it really hard to figure out how many weapon and propulsion slots I should be using, skimping on support slots absolutely sucks, but having lots of firepower does seem to solve most problems, and having enough weight capacity for inventory and armour seems very necessary.

I appreciate that I'm taking a very brute force approach to the game at the moment but I figure I'll try to get good at one build before branching out into other options

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Most builds end up with the vast majority of their slots in utility on the final floor; those support utilities keep getting better and a +20% bonus is a lot better when you have 26 slots than when you have 6. So yea, juggling weight/propulsion/slots is the heart of a lot of balance.

Improving salvage: Try a kinetics/guns run. They sit at +0 salvage with no penalties of any sort (other than crit-killing components, compensated for by crit-killing cores). That particular style slightly favors treads for the -knockback (but hardly needs it), and mid game utilities like core analyzers see a big jump in their salvage effectiveness. Oh, and salvage computers, but that's kinda goes without saying. The big issue if you're getting attrition'd is probably bad fights/not enough protection for the guns, and/or possibly not using fabricators enough. Even with the new insta-lockout mechanic getting 2-6 premium guns per level is fantastic.

Other options include running less gun slots: each gun is typically 100 coverage, which is working against what your armour is trying to do. So if you did something like a energy cannon build that stays at 2-3 weapon slots and relies on quantum capacitors for dps, you'll find that your weapon attrition drops to nil and it's more about replacing utilities.

Other thoughts:
-Meltdown ruins salvage based on a remaining-hp mechanic. So you'll never get any processors off of something melted down, but armour drops plenty fine.
-You don't have to run meltdown-based thermal guns. Nothing wrong with poking things to death. (Other than being slower and taking return fire...)
-EM corruption is very real, but if you can handle it (via parts or just taking it on the chin then leaving the level) then obviously salvage is sorted.
-I agree that kinetic cannons are still in a weird spot, despite their new knockoff shtick. Avoid.
-Explosive launchers ruin salvage, sure, but consider how much attrition they save by not taking return fire. Always keep a launcher handy.
-If you do try the kinetics/gun build, keep a tractor beam and matter module in your inventory at all times. Swapping in&out the tractor beam at the end of every fight is only 200 time, compared to trundling over on treads for 1000+ time. Matter filters are obviously a priority.

I'm gonna really emphasize the "taking fights well sorts all problems in Cogmind, as does being quick about everything", but that's a big skill to build up. Consider keeping a hacking + antihack module in your backpack, attaching them at the start of the next level when you see your first good terminal, and hack a good part and go fab it a few times. The art of keeping a low profile while your inventory improves is good practice. Also, if you're dying on -3 or above, you probably know enough about the game to attempt a stealth run for your first victory. Fighting gets harder later in the game, while running gets easier.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's super useful, thanks. How exactly does the thermal meltdown thing work, I seem to have unintentionally ended up focusing on it in this current run due to random spawns / drops but it seems to be making it hard to keep replacing my other poo poo.

I have barely used fabricators, my main approach so far has been to get prototype data and / or transporter manifests from terminals and then go hunt for upgrades. I'd like to use the fabricators but the success rate is really low, I guess because I've been so aggressive in general.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 24, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The exact meltdown formula is in the ingame manual, but basically it rolls to melt all parts in addition to normal salvage mechanics, meaning most small delicate things go poof. It's a tradeoff for the mechanic bypassing literally all hp, given most garden variety bots have lovely cooling. Guns tend to come in waves of their niche, so keep an eye out for unusually high or low heat-transfer weapons to your taste, which might mean not always using the latest and greatest. Same thing applies to all sorts of subtle things for each gun variety.

For exploiting fabs, if you have the inventory space (and if you don't, you must not need new parts?) keep a few hacking modules around from the previous level. When you've cleared out an area with a terminal near a fabricator on the new floor, slam on all the hackware, try to get a schematics(your_part_here) hack to fire off for something you like, hurry over and do the same on the fab, then go hide while it cooks and maybe rip off the hackware if you have to fight over the new part. Prototype parts are much harder to acquire and only fabricate one-per-pop so it might be worth doing something vanilla if you're fishing for propulsion or guns. As of the latest patch, unauthorized fabbing insta-locks the fabricator and sends a squad, which is why you hide and see if the part comes before they do, or if you can ambush them with a transmission jammer, hack up recall(investigation), etc etc. Since they now auto-lock, there's like a ton more fabricators per level and so getting a few succesful fabs isn't out of the question. Authchips have a 100% chance to succeed and not lock the fabber, so if they drop at an opportune time they're worth the space.

Basically, factory is the midgame where you finally get a lot of control over what parts you come across and can make "builds" work, due to effectively wish-commanding up particular missing utilities. Be aware that you're trading time to do this and might need to know when to give it up and stop being greedy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I suspect I've probably been carrying around too many spare guns and propulsion systems and not enough swappable support items. I got a bit traumatised on earlier runs but now that I've been making more use of armour it's been ok. There are so many useful support abilities I've just ignored because my pockets are full of guns which in retrospect probably wasn't the best idea and I definitely have too many weapons mounted.

As for meltdown, I've been having legs and armour melting in front of my eyes so apparently if you get enough heat transfer that can happen :v:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Woebin posted:

All the talk about Time Break Chronicles' combat system made me want to revisit Star Renegades, did anyone else itt enjoy that? I made the mistake of getting it on the Switch when it came out and it was pretty broken, but still fun enough that I played a lot of it for a while and then dropped off when I think my save broke. That was a while ago though, anyone know if it's been patched enough to work well on Switch by now? Their patch notes seem really hard to find.

I played the intro game, enjoyed it pretty well and won. Then I tried playing again with some different classes, and I just really wasn't sure how to play without Saboteur. No one else seemed to have good enough delay skills to break enemy turns within their hit limits regularly enough.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I played the intro game, enjoyed it pretty well and won. Then I tried playing again with some different classes, and I just really wasn't sure how to play without Saboteur. No one else seemed to have good enough delay skills to break enemy turns within their hit limits regularly enough.

Been awhile since I played but I won a bunch of weird party compositions before putting it down. You're right that Saboteur is loving insane, but you can get by without him. You absolutely want someone with a reasonably fast attack that applies good turn delay, and if you have access to a stun move as well, so much the better.

The shield lady (Valkyrie I think?) is actually a secretly great choice for that role - her damage output is meh and she'll probably never be able to safely tank bosses solo, but she can dynamically control the flow of combat with a big bag of rude little tricks. She can help a teammate squeak through an otherwise lethal attack, opportunistically Break enemies, consistently add damage mitigation over multiple turns, and all kinds of other stuff depending on the items you find. Pair her with a really hard-hitting starter duo and you've got quite a solid team.

e: the unlockable quad-wielding gunslinger lady is also extremely good at applying Break. Her single-target damage output is consistently pretty good, too.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 24, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Star renegades seemed mechanically cool but the writing was so atrocious it turned me off from wanting to play it at all

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Dropbear posted:

Also bought the Last Spell & liked it a lot tooearlier. Felt a bit bummed by the metaprogression at first; it sure felt like there's absolutely no way to beat Lakeburg without any unlocks, but apparently people have managed that so I'm just bad!

Lakeburg is the second map now! The +1 AP upgrade is the main pre-requisite before starting Lakeburg, so you need to unlock that in your first map/run. The other necessary unlocks (seer, inn, ballista) can be done during the run itself.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Star renegades seemed mechanically cool but the writing was so atrocious it turned me off from wanting to play it at all

It feels really bizarre until you realize the whole thing is just a goofy, pulpy sci-fi parody and isn't really trying to be anything else. As soon as the vaguely Space Quest-ish warped humour clicks, it starts to gel much better, because it correctly parses as cheerfully absurd slapstick: the pithy dialogue, the intentionally strange found-family vibe of the camping scenes, the characters' "wow! That was impossibly painful!" quips when they come back after dying, the fact that losing a run just results in the cute robot cheerfully abandoning an entire dimension to hellish tyranny to start over in a new one, and so on.

It's not a comedic masterpiece, but the shift in perspective makes a big difference; it's the difference between "cringe" and an intentionally awful dad joke. It knows it's stupid, it's supposed to be :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Star Renegades is perfectly playable as long as you don't read any of the text.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Star Renegades is perfectly playable as long as you don't read any of the text.

Personally I think the weird intense ultra-serious setup with the tutorial characters was a mistake. It establishes the wrong tone altogether, especially compared to the much more tonally-appropriate "dude walks out of a bar and wonders what that death ray-like sound is" slapstick death scene that replaces it for every future loop.

Like I said, it's not a comedic masterpiece, but it's perfectly bearable pop-culture cheese if you go in expecting goofy one-liners and dumb jokes.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hmm maybe I’ll think about it again because it was instantly and intensely cringy

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I Don't Understand, but Biskup's (Other) Madness has manifested out of nowhere:

https://www.roguelike.games/grog/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ExiledTinkerer posted:

ehhhhhhh i'll try it out but this has some serious Old Man Yells At Cloud Gaming vibe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a bit on the nose to call your fantasy heartbreaker game "grog"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I know you're saying that this game is hewing excessively close to the original, but it's a very specific term that I don't think makes much sense outside of the ttrpg space, or for a game that is very intentionally a narrow scope return to form

much of the original "fantasy heartbreakers" concept is that they're just copying loads of stuff from dnd without thinking about it or making critical choices on what will work in their system, while this is knowingly/explicitly a throwback made after being pleasantly surprised by enjoying the original so much again.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Good grief the game's file size is 345kb. That's smaller than most web sites.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
(also the screen you get on startup is this)

e: I don't know how biskup has done the character seeding here but I entered 'powerful' as my gender and emerged with 17 str, 11 dex

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 25, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
V Rising is really fun so far. The map looks pretty large - how much ‘game’ is in the game already?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kaddish posted:

V Rising is really fun so far. The map looks pretty large - how much ‘game’ is in the game already?

Its not a roguelike at all but id say at least 30 hours. Im 15 hours into a solo game and halfway through the tier2 progression and explored 2 out of 4 areas mostly.

That said if you play solo, crank up poo poo like stack size to max, crafting time to max and loot multipliers to at least 2x. You dont want to have 5 forges running in tandem just so you can produce iron at an acceptable rate. 1x is absolutely tweaked for group play.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone played this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373260/Obsidian_Prince/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Its not a roguelike at all but id say at least 30 hours. Im 15 hours into a solo game and halfway through the tier2 progression and explored 2 out of 4 areas mostly.

That said if you play solo, crank up poo poo like stack size to max, crafting time to max and loot multipliers to at least 2x. You dont want to have 5 forges running in tandem just so you can produce iron at an acceptable rate. 1x is absolutely tweaked for group play.

Yeah it's not, getting my roguelikes and survival mixed up. I made my own dedicated server and indeed cranked up the loot to 1.5, teleport enabled etc.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Been digging through my deep backlog and dusted off Renowned Explorers, it's actually really good, way better than Curious Expedition.

That said, I cannot possibly manage to survive combat once I get to the third or fourth expedition - how do I either deal enough damage to win rocket tag or just like, not die instantly? All healing seems to suck except for one lady (Emilia?)'s unique AoE healing, Friendly in general seems lovely, I know I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. Been prioritizing upgrading my armor which might be the problem because "survive one more hit" works a lot better vs 3 trash than 10 trash.

Been a while since I played but IIRC you're generally better off being able to constantly cycle between the types of combat, specializing in just one will screw you over. You gotta be investing plenty of gold in appropriate gear too, it makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Been a while since I played but IIRC you're generally better off being able to constantly cycle between the types of combat, specializing in just one will screw you over. You gotta be investing plenty of gold in appropriate gear too, it makes a big difference.

Yeah, a big part of the game is optimizing the economic side of the game so that you can afford the upgrades you need to survive later expeditions. Typically you want to min/max around a given token and pile all the upgrades you can into it so that you get more per token and also get more of that token type. Research, captain bonuses, helpers, specialists, relics, whatever you can get. Note that a lot of specialists that give you rewards for winning skill challenges with characters in a specific skill do not require that the challenge actually be for that skill, so as you accumulate specialists you can cram a bunch of extra skills onto a single character and now every time they succeed any skill challenge (which will be quite often, since they have so many skills) they rack up a poo poo ton of extra tokens.

Tactically, being flexible with moods gets really important later on once enemies start switching their mood on you--if you have a character or two with reasonable defenses you don't really need super high end armor to keep them alive, but if you get caught in a disadvantageous mood you will get murdered. Up until you reach the endgame I don't think there are any encounters that can switch between more than two moods, so there is always at least one "safe" mood (e.g. you can go aggressive against enemies that switch between friendly/aggressive, that way you're never at a disadvantage.)

Also, don't underestimate the defensive value of speed and mobility--the ranged scouts (Harry and Hatice) have gently caress all defense but that doesn't matter if the enemies can't reach them. A team with a ranged scout, a physical tank, and a speech tank is going to be pretty easy to keep alive. (I remember winding up using Jan-Piet+Yvonne as my defensive core quite often back when I played, since they can simultaneously heal + attack.)