Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

So is your contention that Nate' s just supposed to go, "Model's canceled! Sorry! It's not exactly the same as PEC so gently caress it!"

I just don't understand what you want Nate to say at this point, but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't seem like you even read the site.

Wow, you're a person who really notices things! The sportsball analyst who works for ESPN might not have his finger as squarely on the pulse of the election as dude from Princeton. Well, why I never!

you seem to be really mad about me making obvious statements. The fact that he's not a political pundit deserves repeating because people treat him as such. As does he himself to an extent.

I don't really think he should do anything differently, except perhaps do even less interpreting, and maybe fire Harry Enten. And FWIW I read probably 95% of the 538 articles, listened to him on Freakonomics, listened to the 538 episode of the TWWW podcast, etc. But I just don't happen to fanboy for some internet guy with a stats BSc as hard as you do :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gyges posted:

Really, instead of trying to find analogies like field goal misses and the like, we should be focusing on what the chance of Trump winning really is. It's the statistical chance that everything we know is wrong. It's not an event that rests on some place kicker holding the ball wrong, or the field being wet. It's more like being struck by lightning or being hit by a meteorite.
Sounds less like "everything we know is wrong" and more like "you don't know enough about statistics". At this point Trump winning is outside the margin of error but still possible. There are two main reasons Trump winning is not less likely than being struck by lightning:

Reason #1: Polling is an inexact science. Several polls averaging a 7 point Clinton lead with no poll showing a Trump lead does not mean a Clinton win is guaranteed. What it does mean is that clinton's electoral votes are estimated to be near 50 +/- a single-digit margin of error with more than 90% accuracy. 93% chance of a Clinton win sounds pretty accurate, although, based on the polls only, it should be much higher, like 98-99%, we'll get to that below.

If you're having trouble finding this likely, think of this way: Does that mean that if we were to re-run the election 100 times, Trump would win 7 out of those times? No, in fact, given that the same nation with the same citizens is voting, the same candidate would win every time, because the votes would always be the same. But, what if we conducted 100 more scientifically unbiased polls? Maybe 7 out of those polls would show Trump winning. And only one of these 100 polls would be closest to the final outcome. So perhaps one of those 7 polls is the one that is closest to the real actual outcome.

Reason #2: There are still two weeks left were anything can happen. Perhaps Iron Abuela will contract another more serious round of pneumonia, or some hacked email will actually contain something damaging for once. Perhaps Trump is able to find definite evidence that one of the 11 women who have come out against him was in fact 'motivated' by the Clinton campaign, lending a sudden nuclear injection of legitimacy to his 'rigged' claims. This is why the previous odds show 93% vs 7%. They take into account not only today's polls but also the uncertainties of the future.

So yeah Trump is unlikely to win but it simply ain't over 'til it's over.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 24, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

There are literally programs and sites you can use to generate a "new" cryptocurrency in under a minute.

What I love about that Trumpcoin effort, it's been through 3 thread incarnations due to flamewars, "fud", and at least one scam of the op and now it's in a moderated thread phase (ideologically free!), where there's been a compaction cycle to use Prester Jane's jargon to this:

quote:

He is only trying to get a new page added to this thread so that folks will not see the link to the speech today.

Trumps speeches are dangerous because focus groups made of #nevertrump people are converted into Trump voters after watching just one speech while 90% are sure they will not vote for Hillary after watching one Trump speech. That is what it is all about folks

This guy is ex-military and youngish looking still. I would ignore him since he is desperate to keep you from watching the Trump speech and obviously not intelligent. I will expect him to personally attack me now since that is his best option at this point. Like watching a mongoose kill a snake really.

Notice how each time I post a good graphic or link in Support of Trump they troll for the next 3 pages??? think about it.

Trump already explains what is going on in his speeches with regard to his previous relationship with Politicians. It is not good cop bad cop or else Trump would not be talking about Bill being a rapist and other extremely strong exposures...!!!

and the same guy links this

For some reason the bitcoin folks suspect a scam!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Aaaaaand IDB poll is now showing dead heat too, with a 0.1% advantage to Hillary.

Waiting for Rasmussen...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

canepazzo posted:

Aaaaaand IDB poll is now showing dead heat too, with a 0.1% advantage to Hillary.

Waiting for Rasmussen...

This phenomenon where outlier polls magically start following the consensus is, for the record, called 'herding.'

I actually doubt LAT/USC will herd because while it has some issues with sampling and weighting, they seem to have too much integrity and transparency to herd.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

stone cold posted:

Did CelestialScribe ever end up toxxing for Trump?

When was the last time CS even posted here? I'm on mobile so I can't search.

Actually I can search and the freaks probated for 12 more days. Must have gotten a month on Oct 5, his last post here.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 24, 2016

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Antti posted:

This phenomenon where outlier polls magically start following the consensus is, for the record, called 'herding.'

I actually doubt LAT/USC will herd because while it has some issues with sampling and weighting, they seem to have too much integrity and transparency to herd.

How can one distinguish herding from the polling realities swinging so much that baked-in bias cannot protect the favored side anymore?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ErIog posted:

You need to go study basic probability if you think the number of times you roll the dice has an impact on what the dice may show on a single roll.

Doesn't matter that the election happens once. The odds are the odds.
The problem is in determining what the odds actually are in a one-time event that can never be duplicated. After the election, assuming Hillary wins, we still won't know if 538's 87%ish chance of her winning was a better estimate than PEC's 99% chance.

All of the models now point to a Hillary victory. The differences between them, and in their respective final election outcome odds, is in how much they model the possibility of their own model being incorrect. It's insufficient to say "the odds are the odds". You have to say "there is some uncertainty that the odds are what they say they are".

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's not even that. It's that Nate has a perverse incentive to pursue his strangely conservative model because it promotes the horserace and drives site visits. Nate is also not a specially gifted or qualified statistician despite the myth that has grown up around him, and his attempts at punditry lack insight and objectivity.

That being said, come election day he will get most of his "picks" just right

Most?

He's 198 in 200 since 2008. That's a little more than most.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

Didnt Silver also have a weird economic feedback problem with his model? I seem to recall he weights economic data in his modeling because he believes it's more predictive.

When the polls nationally were inside the margin of error for Trump being elected the fact that Trump was more likely to be elected meant an economic disaster was more likely in November which made it more likely Trump would be elected. I want to say he admitted in the podcast when Sam Wang called him out on why his model was acting so strange in late September.

Silver has an economic component but only in the Polls Plus, and it doesn't really make much of a difference beyond the very early part of the campaign when polling is sparse.

Sam Wang is from Princeton but he's a neuroscientist not a statistician and I have serious problems with his methods and conclusions. I don't know why people are holding him up on a pedestal particularly. Really the only professional statistician in the room is me, listen to me

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

canepazzo posted:

Waiting for Rasmussen...

What's the IBD methodology? It has like 6-8 lower support for Hillary than other polls so some sort of 2004 turnout model?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Neeksy posted:

How can one distinguish herding from the polling realities swinging so much that baked-in bias cannot protect the favored side anymore?

If it's systematic bias that gap shouldn't in general disappear. Like LAT might eventually show +5 C but only when everyone else is showing +15 or something. Herding is when ~magically~ everyone ends up with +15 C just before the election.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Fangz posted:

Silver has an economic component but only in the Polls Plus, and it doesn't really make much of a difference beyond the very early part of the campaign when polling is sparse.

Sam Wang is from Princeton but he's a neuroscientist not a statistician and I have serious problems with his methods and conclusions. I don't know why people are holding him up on a pedestal particularly. Really the only professional statistician in the room is me, listen to me

I wasn't going to wade into this but for a thread that sometimes sucks Taleb's dick they sure do hate 538 for not dismissing the chance of black swan events out of hand.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Well in IBD/TIPP's case, they did it during the last two cycles so it seems pretty likely that they're doing it now, too. In 2008 they had a strong bias towards McCain and suddenly swung to match other pollsters in their very last poll before the election, and in 2012 they leaned heavily Romney before starting to swing in line with other pollsters the last week of October.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 24, 2016

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

538's model is fine. Polls+ will rise as the time in which a black swan event can happen shrinks. It will never go to 99% though as the simulations account for (unlikely, but still technically *possible*) catastrophic polling errors.

Also, re the IBD poll, it overweights Republicans as a share of the sample compared to national party affiliation and has a record of herding closer to the election date. And it's still showing Clinton in the lead (just!).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fangz posted:

Do I have to start telling stories about PECOTA and the unintelligible mass of excel spreadsheets that are the reason why Nate Silver has a job casting entrails for the political junkies?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chinese Gordon posted:

538's model is fine. Polls+ will rise as the time in which a black swan event can happen shrinks. It will never go to 99% though as the simulations account for (unlikely, but still technically *possible*) catastrophic polling errors.

Also, re the IBD poll, it overweights Republicans as a share of the sample compared to national party affiliation and has a record of herding closer to the election date. And it's still showing Clinton in the lead (just!).

538's polls plus will probably converge on to the Nowcast. In terms of the black swan event, what's left is pretty much not the threat of some late event, but instead a systematic bias in the polling method. (The stuff people said earlier about Trump supporters hanging up on pollsters would be an example of this, if folks want something to Arzy about. Similar, stuff like voter intimidation/suppression might well apply.) In 2012 the poll aggregate missed by 2% and in previous years it has missed by more. Of course in 2012 the miss was in favour of Obama, but the model is agnostic about that.

And yeah, the IBD does party identification weighting, which is rather iffy. Especially when the description in their methodology is very vague:

quote:

We also use party weighting to best mirror our internal estimates based on our recent polls

If someone wanted to put a finger on the scale that's where I would do it.

rscott posted:

Do I have to start telling stories about PECOTA and the unintelligible mass of excel spreadsheets that are the reason why Nate Silver has a job casting entrails for the political junkies?

If you have an argument why this is relevant given his current methodology is fairly transparent and reasonable, and matches closely to betting market odds?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 24, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pointing out that Nate Silver was a (not that great) sabermetrician is just as relevant as pointing out that Sam Wang is a neuroscientist

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Systematic polling error is possible, but I don't think widespread voter intimidation is realistic. In order to have a noticable effect, it would have to be incredibly heavy-handed and well-organised. I can buy the Trumpstaffel being idiotic thugs, but idiotic, *well organised* thugs? No.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

rscott posted:

Pointing out that Nate Silver was a (not that great) sabermetrician is just as relevant as pointing out that Sam Wang is a neuroscientist

Right, so like I said, both of them are amateurs. My point was more that 'but but but Wang is in Princeton!!!' is a ridiculous argument.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Chinese Gordon posted:

Systematic polling error is possible, but I don't think widespread voter intimidation is realistic. In order to have a noticable effect, it would have to be incredibly heavy-handed and well-organised. I can buy the Trumpstaffel being idiotic thugs, but idiotic, *well organised* thugs? No.

Its gonna be an ugly day when one of them walks in on someone pushing ballot buttons and pulls a gun when they see you voting the wrong way. If they actually load it and if you can overpower their decrepit rear end is probably likely against the Trumpstain, but I'm sure they'll be open carry fuckers looking to curtail any people not voting for their side.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/790523240351498241
What the poo poo is this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume Hillary wants to take in more Syrian refugees? To which I say great.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

WikiLeaks is now down to "leaking" publicly held policy positions.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Its gonna be an ugly day when one of them walks in on someone pushing ballot buttons and pulls a gun when they see you voting the wrong way. If they actually load it and if you can overpower their decrepit rear end is probably likely against the Trumpstain, but I'm sure they'll be open carry fuckers looking to curtail any people not voting for their side.

Isolated incidents like this I'm sure are possible, even likely. But like I said, in order for it to have a noticeable state/national effect it would have to be both very illegal and very well organised. There is no Trumpette SA equivalent (yet!!).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chinese Gordon posted:

We're sorta in untested territory on this, though. Even the fear of Trump's 'poll watchers' can possibly have an impact, it's something that is very difficult to quantify.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

He signs his tweets?!?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Inferior Third Season posted:

The problem is in determining what the odds actually are in a one-time event that can never be duplicated. After the election, assuming Hillary wins, we still won't know if 538's 87%ish chance of her winning was a better estimate than PEC's 99% chance.

I, unlike other people posting here, understand that and am trying to point out that we know the chance of a Trump win is somewhere between 1% and 14%. Other people in this thread are trying to paint it like the 14% is unforgivable and we need the pitchforks and torches because they're rabid partisans who are loving stupid.

So I agree with you, and I wish people would stop getting the loving vapors because 538 doesn't read 1% for Trump right now.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't really think he should do anything differently, except perhaps do even less interpreting, and maybe fire Harry Enten.

Enten has been even more anti-Trump than Silver has. What the gently caress are you smoking. You're an idiot. Go read PEC so you can stop :derp:

dex_sda posted:

Many people are treating him like he does, that's the whole point you dummy

Who? He's done even less media this cycle than he did in 2012. He has his own podcasts and stuff now, but like, the only people who pay attention to him are people in this thread and people who follow ESPN.

porfiria posted:

A small point, but I disagree that 538 has had a "Hillary's gonna win" angle since August. I mean, he was writing stuff about Trump's "1 in 4" chances really recently.

You're a loving idiot and I bolded the idiot part. That's 75% chance for Hillary to get anywhere from 50.1% to a complete blowout. Recently it's been like 15% for Trump to eke out a victory with perfect circumstances. Good job reading the headlines and having no reading comprehension you loving idiot. They've also written articles recently about how Trump's GOTV is going to be terrible. So please :fuckoff:

straight up brolic posted:

538 is the most popular projections site.

It isn't. So please shut the gently caress up. NYT and RCP are far ahead. You can pretend he's more popular than you want because people here want to feel like their dick's bigger because they called Nate Silver out, but that doesn't make it true. P.S. You're a stupid person.

edit: Also Hillary's going to win, and I think 538 has terrible modeling, but the partisanship in this thread is out of control.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

We're sorta in untested territory on this, though. Even the fear of Trump's 'poll watchers' can possibly have an impact, it's something that is very difficult to quantify.

I suspect that even if there is a Trumpstaffel Fear Effect it will be massively outweighed by the hugely superior Democratic GOTV operation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chinese Gordon posted:

Frank Luntz of all people took a dump on the IBD poll yesterday. It's a garbage poll for garbage people.

Probably the new Project Veritas video which is entirely wrong.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm a little surprised by how bad Wikileaks/Russia is at propaganda. Even if their goal was simply to create a chaos and distrust, they are completely terrible at this.

Anyways, with 15 days to go and in-person early voting starting in Florida, I have to imagine that if either side has any bombshells left to drop, we are going to see it in the next day or two.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/790522535976763393
:thurman:

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Something beautiful. Think about where Trump is in his thought process - he's swung for the fences with the 'rigged' rhetoric and it went off like a wet fart. His Russian backers have nothing but noise and non-scandal, even though they told him they could tip the election. He's coated with the stink of loser and we have two whole weeks left of final oppo dumps and another half dozen assault stories.

So what does he do? He screams ISIS because that kinda worked last time he had to change the story. Even his idiot base knows the deflection of a defeated child, and while they lack any sense of nuance or critical thinking, they'll abandon him because they only vote for winners. The final cratering is coming, and it's going to be beautiful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If Clinton really was pushing to take in as many refugees as possible I'd vote for her even harder.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Way to say all Syrian refugees are terrorists you orange dick bag.

On another note, it disheartens me that apparently Ivanka's brand is doing really well despite being the Cheeto's surrogate. This really proves to me that if you put a pretty face in front of a fascist and bigoted platform it will sell well. It pisses me off to no end that Ivanka gets such a huge pass on all this poo poo.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 24, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its another stupid as hell O'Keefe video featuring Huma Abedin. It was mentioned a while ago, but basically:

Tom Guycot posted:

Just catching up on the thread this morning, but if you want an idea on how this works, watch the undercover video of "Huma admitting Hillary wants to let in all the Syrians!!". They actually leave in the person doing the filming going up to her, saying her hi's, hello's, how much she loves Hillary and Huma's speach etc, but then saying "you have to promise, promise me that Hillary will bring them all over, promise me". Huma of course in a crowded room of people greeting and talking to her just gives a 'yes of course Hillary is very committed to helping refugees yada yada'.

Its pretty easy to imagine these ones being nothing more than someone saying "hey can you describe the wildest conspiracy theory anyone has accused you of?". Its a joke and I'm glad most of the news is treating him as nothing more than the huckster he is.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Agrajag posted:

It's not a new stance by the gop.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

Enten has been even more anti-Trump than Silver has. What the gently caress are you smoking. You're an idiot. Go read PEC so you can stop :derp:

Dude, please step away from your posting devices for a while and chill out. How can you be so vexed about polling aggregation that you're multi-quoting like 10 people (who don't even disagree with you) and calling them loving idiots?

They should fire Enten because he is a goony idiotfucker, not because I care about his political leanings (which are pretty obvious, and I am aware of). I am not arzying in any way, and I am not unhappy about polls, polling, or poll aggregation.

ErIog posted:

edit: Also Hillary's going to win, and I think 538 has terrible modeling.

I agree. You seem to be arguing against positions that nobody is taking here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Agrajag posted:

On another note, it disheartens me that apparently Ivanka's brand is doing really well despite being the Cheeto's surrogate. This really proves to me that if you put a pretty face in front of a fascist and bigoted platform it will sell well. It pisses me off to no end that Ivanka gets such a huge pass on all this poo poo.

The Clinton Camp (rightly IMHO) doesn't really want to attack family members of the opposing candidate. That'd add unwelcome credibility to Trump attacking Hillary for Bill's stuff and potentially put Chelsea on the hit-list. To be honest, Ivanka has a better excuse for supporting Trump than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
this seems timely

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/opinion/my-wifes-killer-was-not-an-illegal-immigrant.html

quote:

On Nov. 1, 2006, I found my wife, Adrienne Shelly, dead in her West Village office. Adrienne, an actor and filmmaker, had been brutally murdered by a 19-year-old undocumented Ecuadorean construction worker; he later said they were having an argument and, fearing she would report him and have him deported, he killed her and staged her death so it would appear to be a suicide. Our daughter was just 2 years old at the time.

Given the anger and grief I still feel, I could easily be seduced by Donald J. Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric that is the cornerstone of his presidential run. “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” he said as he began his campaign in 2015. And in these final weeks before the election, rather than tacking to the middle, he seems to be doubling down. “We’ve got some bad hombres,” he said in last week’s debate, referring to immigrants who commit crimes.

And it’s not just Mr. Trump. In the years since Adrienne’s murder I’ve received several offers from prominent members of the conservative media, including Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly and Megyn Kelly, to speak out on this issue and give legitimacy to right-wing anti-immigrant sentiment. Who better than a Democrat to attack an entire segment of our population, right?

But Adrienne was not murdered by an illegal immigrant, per se. She fell victim to a depraved killer who simply happened to be an undocumented immigrant. It is an obvious distinction, almost too obvious, but it’s an important one to consider as the country goes further down the dangerous path of demonizing those not born here.

At his rallies and during the debates, Mr. Trump has painted a dark picture of an America overrun by foreign criminals who come here to rape, pillage and murder our innocent civilians. He opposes any form of amnesty for the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States, taking a hard-line law-and-order stand that has brought millions of voters to his camp.

He uses murders like Adrienne’s — though never hers specifically, fortunately — as political props. His “solution” includes a deportation force that would separate people from their families and “send them back to wherever they came from.”

Adrienne’s killer, Diego Pillco, plea-bargained a murder conviction that sentenced him to 25 years with no parole and no ability to appeal. It was a tough case. He had no clear motive, and there were no witnesses to the crime. The district attorney’s office advised me to accept the deal rather than go to trial. It was an agonizing decision: roll the dice for a life sentence or possibly end up with a manslaughter conviction, with her killer receiving a meager three to five years in prison.

We took the deal. It was, simply, a business decision, albeit one with a hefty emotional price tag. Her killer will be deported upon his release, walking this earth a free man at 44 years old, while Adrienne’s vibrant life was snuffed out at 40.

His reason for killing Adrienne, and the relatively lenient sentence he received, certainly feeds Mr. Trump’s xenophobic, fear-mongering narrative. But beyond the rhetoric, there’s no clear cause and effect. His rationale was no different from that of an American citizen who in the act of a crime kills his “witness” to avoid prosecution and imprisonment. Attributing his heinous act to his immigration status dilutes the more relevant truth that he lacked the ability to know right from wrong and had zero respect for human life.

Yes, we have an immigration problem that is in desperate need of reform. Yes, some illegal immigrants commit crimes, some of them violent. But so do blacks, whites, Asians, Christians and Jews. Mr. Trump often claims that two million undocumented immigrants have been convicted of crimes, but in fact the figure is actually 176,000, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The reality is, Americans have appreciably more to fear from their fellow citizens than from undocumented immigrants.

It’s politically expedient for xenophobic agitators like Mr. Trump to scapegoat the millions of foreigners who have come to the United States in search of a better life. But his malevolence toward immigrants runs counter to the principles on which our great nation was founded. It’s disheartening to see so many people being swept out to sea in a riptide of ignorance and hate.

America was created by, is governed by and — with the exception of Native Americans — is inhabited by immigrants and their descendants, generations of whom came here to escape religious and ethnic persecution. That millions of people face a similar fate on our soil is deplorable. We should be thanking them, as America’s greatness is attributed to their blood, sweat, vision, perseverance, dedication and brilliance.

While I believe that the country must do more to secure its borders, deport noncitizen criminals and protect Americans from foreign terrorists, I also believe we must find a realistic, humane path to citizenship for the millions of decent, hard-working immigrants who love this country as much as I do, regardless of whether they are documented or not. We need the kind of compassionate reform that Democrats have been advocating for decades in the face of persistent Republican obstructionism.

That is what Adrienne would want.

• Locked thread