Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

3peat posted:

cant they play Lukaku and Origi at the same time?
Not really the time to start experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I keep reading these news stories that are all 'Wilmots doesn't know what he's doing he can't even pick his best striker, plus they keep scoring after 70 mins/with subs'. Well, idk about you guys but I think this is a thing called 'squad depth' and 'being able to put on actual good subs instead of shithouse bastards like half the teams in the competition'. Just a thought. Thanks sports media.

Though maybe it would be a good idea to score earlier and take advantage of that 'double points for goals scored in the first half' rule that everyone seems to think exists, I guess.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Vando posted:

I keep reading these news stories that are all 'Wilmots doesn't know what he's doing he can't even pick his best striker, plus they keep scoring after 70 mins/with subs'. Well, idk about you guys but I think this is a thing called 'squad depth' and 'being able to put on actual good subs instead of shithouse bastards like half the teams in the competition'. Just a thought. Thanks sports media.

Though maybe it would be a good idea to score earlier and take advantage of that 'double points for goals scored in the first half' rule that everyone seems to think exists, I guess.

Going to extra time tires your team more than finishing it off in the 90. So, there is an advantage to that. The way the tournament is going though every game will go to extra time, and by the final everyone will be running in sand.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I believe

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vando posted:

Switching between Lukaku and Origi isn't the problem, nor is us scoring only at the end of the match, it's that Wilmots doesn't seem to have a solid grasp on his own offensive strategy - either that or he doesn't know the strengths of his players. During the group stage, he kept trying to play Lukaku as a target man because that's how he always played Benteke. Problem is that while Benteke can play as a target man (or as anything pwhoar the lad's good), Lukaku can't. Lukaku's still a very good player and he has a lot he can bring to the table, but then either the system needs to change or the way he's used. You can argue that Lukaku just has to adapt, but he can't. And it seems like Wilmots can't either. To his credit, his system works very well against teams like the USA. The problem is that not all teams play like that and he has to be able to adapt. He's lucky that our squad depth does actually counteracts that. But there's a valid criticism there (though I am fairly harsh when it comes to Wilmots)

Then again, I doubt that's actually the point many sports journalists are making because sports journalists are generally idiots.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Did Belgend die?

Re: Wilmots: I think all his team selections are defensible/explainable and the 4-3-3 tactic is sound and fits the players we have. Us not winning more convincgly against really defensive teams like Algeria and Russia isn't that surprising since even Germany, France and Argentina struggle against teams like that. We have a great defensive record and we always create enough chances, just the finishing is often bad (and that's not Wilmots' fault). Fair enough about Lukaku, but I still think they share the blame for his matches this world cup and I'm just not convined that sticking to one proven strategy that has given us way more success than any other in the last 25 years is a bad thing.

In the end, the results are all that counts and the results have been great. He's obviously not the type of manager that plans the whole offense tactically (defensively I think his guidelines are pretty solid), but I can't fault his mental coaching and our attacking players are good enough to benefit from the freedom he gives them. I also can't really think of somebody who would certainly do better and would want the job.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Hazard and De Bruyne don't really play together too well, you can see them giving each other bitch faces after every bad shot or failed dribble. They also play rather similarly where they both try to take on their defenders at almost every opportunity, luckily they both defend rather well so it's not a total disaster and the team creates enough chances.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Did Belgend die?

Re: Wilmots: I think all his team selections are defensible/explainable and the 4-3-3 tactic is sound and fits the players we have. Us not winning more convincgly against really defensive teams like Algeria and Russia isn't that surprising since even Germany, France and Argentina struggle against teams like that. We have a great defensive record and we always create enough chances, just the finishing is often bad (and that's not Wilmots' fault). Fair enough about Lukaku, but I still think they share the blame for his matches this world cup and I'm just not convined that sticking to one proven strategy that has given us way more success than any other in the last 25 years is a bad thing.

In the end, the results are all that counts and the results have been great. He's obviously not the type of manager that plans the whole offense tactically (defensively I think his guidelines are pretty solid), but I can't fault his mental coaching and our attacking players are good enough to benefit from the freedom he gives them. I also can't really think of somebody who would certainly do better and would want the job.
I don't even think he necessarily needs to be replaced. He hasn't been a manager for that long, considering. His ability to inspire and his trust in players and their trust in him - those are things you can't teach. Tactics, however, can be. I think he could improve as well, just like the team itself.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think Hazard and De Bruyne don't really play together too well, you can see them giving each other bitch faces after every bad shot or failed dribble. They also play rather similarly where they both try to take on their defenders at almost every opportunity, luckily they both defend rather well so it's not a total disaster and the team creates enough chances.

They're really different players though. Hazard likes having the ball himself while De Bruyne likes passing it around. Should work well together.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

It's goddamn ridiculous how in only a couple of years we went from tying with loving Azerbaijan to becoming, as of yesterday, one of the best teams in the world.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's a strategy that started years ago centered around finding very young talents in Belgian clubs and encouraging them. Now we are seeing the results. And it's probably only the beginning.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a strategy that started years ago centered around finding very young talents in Belgian clubs and encouraging them. Now we are seeing the results. And it's probably only the beginning.

tbh we've had that pool of talent for about 4-6 years now as a result of this programme, but they never seemed to play together effectively as a team until the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup. I do agree that this system is at last producing results, and it's interesting that some other countries are doing it too, e.g. Switzerland has been trying something similar, but it's a pity for them that their potential player base is limited by their population.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

CSM posted:

It's goddamn ridiculous how in only a couple of years we went from tying with loving Azerbaijan to becoming, as of yesterday, one of the best teams in the world.

lol edging out loving algeria, south korea, russia, and america

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Sorry, friend. You seem to be mistaking this for the Bad Thread for Idiot Fuckers, when it's actually the thread for cool and good posts in support of the Belgian team. Please take your bad posts and *motions towards the door of the thread*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

tbh we've had that pool of talent for about 4-6 years now as a result of this programme, but they never seemed to play together effectively as a team until the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup. I do agree that this system is at last producing results, and it's interesting that some other countries are doing it too, e.g. Switzerland has been trying something similar, but it's a pity for them that their potential player base is limited by their population.

Well, Belgium has a small population as well...

Switzerland has 8 million and Belgium 11 so that's fairly close.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Well, Belgium has a small population as well...

Switzerland has 8 million and Belgium 11 so that's fairly close.

Huh. You're right. Why did I think there were only like 5 million Swiss?

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Uruguay are like 3.5 mil, and they are constantly good...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Mister Blueberry posted:

That's because they eat people to consume their powers

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mister Blueberry posted:

Constantly good? They finished fourth in 2010 but missed three out of four World Cups before that.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bobby Digital posted:

Constantly good? They finished fourth in 2010 but missed three out of four World Cups before that.

Failed to qualify after losing a playoff to Australia, big time fail

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
This article has been posted before but it's a good read about the reasons for our golden generation. http://grantland.com/features/world-cup-2014-belgian-national-team-vincent-kompany-eden-hazard-marouane-fellaini/

Borsche69 posted:

lol edging out loving algeria, south korea, russia, and america

Well, which teams did your country's football team beat recently? Unless you're Costa Rican, which I doubt, it's probably not that impressive either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Thai albino porcupine has eaten:

(That little guy is my favorite Paul knock-off :3:)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kurtofan posted:

(That little guy is my favorite Paul knock-off :3:)

Kevin de bruine WKavia is the best.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Walh Hara posted:

This article has been posted before but it's a good read about the reasons for our golden generation. http://grantland.com/features/world-cup-2014-belgian-national-team-vincent-kompany-eden-hazard-marouane-fellaini/

Thanks I enjoyed this. I lived in Belgium for a year when I was a kid and we'd always support Belgium back then in the WC (before the US qualified).

Hell, I want them to win it this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
what's up with Fellaini and his disgusting hair. is it still acceptable in europe to look that way

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Go Belgium!

Lionel Messi will be the best player on the field, but after that the next three or four players might all be Belgian.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ginette Reno posted:

what's up with Fellaini and his disgusting hair. is it still acceptable in europe to look that way

Fellaini's hair rules and is the second best afro at the World Cup after Carlos Sanchez's 70s style short 'fro

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CSM posted:

Quite funny to call a team poo poo that won its three games. Something which only three other countries did.

Inside every single one of those doors was a helpless baby.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Um are you seriously saying that it's not acceptable for an African persyn to have a natural African hairstyle? I can't believe am reading such opinions in 2014, disgusting.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Fellaini washes his hair often, this info is from a source close to the team in Brasil.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

"The Royal Belgian Football Association is coming for you!"

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
the Belgian Bane

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Fellaini's a regular at the hipster bar I used to work at. He's a good lad, enjoys a pint of Amstel, hustling his smaller-afro'd brother at pool and bigging up moyes for sticking by him. Good tipper too, hope he scores a poo poo header against the argies.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

World Cup 2014 05/7 MDT - The Belgians who stare at Argies

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Fellaini's a regular at the hipster bar I used to work at. He's a good lad, enjoys a pint of Amstel, hustling his smaller-afro'd brother at pool and bigging up moyes for sticking by him. Good tipper too, hope he scores a poo poo header against the argies.

Belgians drinking Amstel, shameful

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Nyarlothotep posted:

Vicious rumours intent on destabilizing the Belgian team.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nyarlothotep posted:

:agreed:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'd rather drink a Cara pils than an Amstel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU