Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Seriously, just give half to the Dutch and half to the French??? Why do they exist, why do they???

Anyway, we haven't been in an international tournament since like 12 years, so bear with us as we try to learn to play football somewhere where it matters.

Good thing we have this bloke coaching us who's not that good in tactics, but he was there 12 years ago and I'm pretty sure he's the only one who still remembers.

Here's Marc Wilmots, the manager, during his time as a liberal senator doing gently caress all cause the Senate is useless and I'm glad its gone #statereformsftw

I will now list the people ON THE (provisional) PLANE:

Thibaut Courtois, son of a volleyball player and another volleyball player, is currently our only goalkeeper that's worth a drat and not crock for the forseeable future (read: monday when we play Luxembourg). At the time of writing, he is currently winning the Champions League. EDIT: HE HAS SINCE NOT WON IT, BUT IN FACT THE OPPOSITE

Simon Mignolet, who used to be the number one goalkeeper, has a knock but should be able to play. He lost his number one spot to Courtois while he did nothing wrong, Courtois is just better. Is currently playing for Liverpool. His dad used to take him to the training grounds when he was still playing for STVV.

We have also taken Thomas Kaminski, the ghost of Koen Casteels and Sammy Bossut on the plane as reserve goalkeepers in a move that will backfire immensly once either Thibaut or Simon get injured.

Honorary rightback for this tournament is Toby Alderweireld, whose middle name is apparently Maurits - I just found this on the internet. He's actually a centreback at Atletico where I'm fairly certain he's scored more own goals than actually defend. Needless to say I am less than thrilled, but he's better than the alternatives.

'King' Vincent 'Vince The Prince' Kompany will be your captain speaking on the pitch and also off the pitch. He's """"boring"""" which means he doesn't bite off anyone's face when they interview him and seems to be a somewhat decent lad by all means. Currently also captain for Manchester City and owner of BX Brussels, a club in the provincial leagues dedicated to give young players in Brussels a chance in football while only employing 30 year old players. He also owns a bar called Good Kompany. Always convienently injured for big games. Hmm.

The ghost of Thomas Vermaelen is scheduled to play alongside Kompany in Brazil. Permacrock for the Belgian team and permagash when he is available. Currently employed next to Wenger on the Arsenal bench.

Jan Vertonghen, pictured calling the citizens of Rotterdam cockroaches, will be playing leftback. Currently playing for Spurs. Is supposed to be quite the joker in the dressing room. BFFs with Moussa Dembele.

'BIG DAN' Daniel Van Buyten was taken along because he is a mate of Marc. Was also in the squad during the 2002 World Cup. I'm right mad he was picked over Simons to be the back up centreback however it is also his last international tournament and I respect whatever it is he did for us. Currently in talks with Guardiola about a renewal of his contract on the Bayern bench.

*We move to the Soccer Saturday studio*
Jeff: And we head on to Chris Kamara, who will tell us Anthony Vanden Borre has been selected for the Belgian national teamas the backup rightback, Chris.
Chris: I don't know Jeff, has he?

Yes

Backup leftback Nicolas Lombaerts is from my hometown which makes him ok in my book, even if he's not that good of a footy player. Currently playing for a bunch of racists at Zenit St-Petersburg.

Everything that reminds me that Laurent Ciman was selected over Timmy Simons to be on the plane depresses me so he doesn't get a picture with his write up. gently caress you, Laurent Ciman.

Axel Witsel will be your holding midfielder in Brazil, as he holds you in his arms during a 2-1 win over Algeria, a 1-0 win over Russia and a boring 0-0 draw with South Korea in the south. It will be a nice change from his playing in front of fascists in St-Petersburg in the cold. Not pictured: Witsel's massive afro that he has.

Attacking midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has come to play good football and gently caress his girlfriend, and Courtois stole his girl. He's really good at football, but he's also a whiny poo poo. Plays at Wolfsburg.

Marouane 'Felli' Fellaini used to be good. No one knows what happened in Manchester to gently caress that up. Backup whatever on midfield because he's just so goddamn versatile. One of the first in the current crop of Belgians in the Premiership alongside Kompany.

The resurrected remains of Steven Defour were brought along to be spare parts for the rest of the squad should they get wrecked by a Pepe or a Boateng. Currently leaving Porto, backup centre mid.

Moussa Dembel- oh hang on

Moussa Dembele will wreck your centre mid cause he's great. He plays for Spurs. Also a joker in the dressing room, him and Vertonghen are BFFs.

Nacer Chadli, pictured here in a rare occurence when he actually loving was on the pitch for Spurs, is an attacking mid. He's really forgettable because he's not done much. We took him along to keep Jan and Moussa happy I guess???

'Big Rom' Romelu Lukaku will be our main striker now that Christian Benteke tore his ACL. He is pictured here playing for Chelsea, where he has proven his worth at West Bromwich Albion and Everton. However because of some weird reasoning some Chelsea plastic will repeat in this thread, it is a bad thing to actually stick him in the squad alongside Nando Torres, Diego Costa and Demba Ba.

Eden Hazard is an attacking midfielder who watches anime, throws temper tantrums when subbed off (sometimes eats burgers afterwards) and already has like two or three kids. Pretty much the closest you can get to a goon if you think away the wife and kids. Is currently carrying Chelsea to top 4 table heights.

Kevin Mirallas is a winger who was really good in the 2008 Beijing Olympic football tournament, went missing in France and Greece for a few years and headed for Everton when he remembered how to kick a ball.

I don't know who Jules is, but Dries 'Driezegol' Mertens will be your backup winger this current World Cup. Currently playing at Napoli where he owns, Mertens is usually a supersub for the national team. He's also tiny as gently caress.

Adnan Januzaj chose to play for Belgium after being seduced by England, Albania, Kosovo, Serbia (sorry for repeating myself), Croatia, Turkey and Chocowakija. He was good at United somewhat? Backup whatever mid.

Divock Origi, backup striker, is as shocked as I am that he is selected for the World Cup, as this is his first cap ever and I have no loving clue who he is. The internet tells me he plays at Lille.

HERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WERE SEEN AS UNWORTHY FOR THE PROVISIONAL LIST AND ARE HEREBY ON STANDBY: Jelle Van Damme, Guillaume Gillet, Sébastien Pocognoli, Radja Nainggolan, Thorgan Hazard, Michy Batshuayi.

OUR GOAL IS TO survive the group stages even though this generation is supposedly better than Mexico 86. All about the money I guess.

THIS IS OUR GROUP, GROUP HAITCH

BARK indeed, FIFA, BARK.

Now have our cup song here and then post post psot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvclq8h5YeE

futureworldchampions

futureworldchampions

futureworldchampions in .gif form

belgend fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Most overrated side in the world cup. Paedophiles.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Seeing them all in a row like that is actually kind of depressing

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Might I loving add loving Ciman got in over RADJA NAINGGOLAN??? Wilmots has lost it

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Ciman has two things going for him
a) he's a defender
b) he's alive

so there we go

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
No benteke, whats the point.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Also, worse than not bringing The Good Player and The Mascot is the fact that Wilmots will play Hazard on the side and Lukaku with his back towards goal, resulting in zero (0) goals

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I really have no idea what to expect (perhaps because of this whole "it's 12 years ago" thingy. You could theoretically make a very strong side with these players (if you ignore that many hardly played for their club this year), but I'd be already very happy if we get out of the group stages and don't embarass ourselves.

I think Nainggolan desevered a place in the squad in favor of Chadli, Defour, or even Fellaini, but what do I know.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I am Being A Plastic for Belgium after Portugal gets eliminated, OP.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

KoldPT posted:

I am Being A Plastic for Belgium after Portugal gets eliminated, OP.

There's a literal 0% chance we outlast your lot

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

why is naingollan not going, ive heard his name before unlike some of those other idiots

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

why is naingollan not going, ive heard his name before unlike some of those other idiots

wilmots said it was him or defour and wilmots is a tactical idiot who rates defour higher.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Some of those are good players. Do they actually play well together? Do Flemish and French players hate each other and refuse to pass?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Some of those are good players. Do they actually play well together? Do Flemish and French players hate each other and refuse to pass?

They are. Sometimes. No, there hasn't been a linguistic divide in the team, there is however an unwritten rule to have about the same amount of each.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The calimero-feeling is strong with you belgend. We will actually win this world cup. Kevin De Bruyne and Dries Mertens will give sweet passes to Big Rom all day. He'll miss them, but someone will tap in All The Rebounds.

Also very curious how Januzaj will perform and how much wages he demands.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Good OP OP, but could be better. Do you want to close this thread and get someone to give you a hand doing a new one?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

i thought we'd have one thread just for all the ops about countries but i think it was a pretty good op, it is the belge after all

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

i thought we'd have one thread just for all the ops about countries but i think it was a pretty good op, it is the belge after all

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637014 just doing greg demands

Total Meatlove posted:

Good OP OP, but could be better. Do you want to close this thread and get someone to give you a hand doing a new one?

I did forget a poll...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Blegum

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

if you redo the op you should have more animes imo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

belgend posted:

There's a literal 0% chance we outlast your lot
It's 90% sure they'll be the country we'll be playing once we get out of our group and I reckon we can take them. Courtois and Alderweireld want revenge for last night and they'll murder Ronaldo on the field.

e: will wilmots be found out after this world cup or will we blame it on inexperience

i think iiii knooooowwww

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 25, 2014

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Russia will win the group.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I hate Belgium so much and I'm glad when it floods

Hopefully they will lose all of their games

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Come friendly bombs and rain on Belgium.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Will there be any hot Belgian girls supporting them?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Will there be any hot Belgian girls supporting them?
:wink:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

I hope everyone here is ready for the most important friendly since the last one. Belgium v Luxembourg

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Real excited yeah

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

R. Mute posted:

Real excited yeah

WOO ITS IN HALF AN HOUR

look at these teams

YOU CAN FOLLOW THE MATCH HERE: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_voetbal/oefeninterlands/MF_140526_BEL_LUX (Flemish) OR HERE: http://www.rtbf.be/livecenter/live_belgique-luxembourg-amical?id=18494 (currently French audio, maybe video also???)

AND IF NEITHER OF THOSE WORK uhh find a stream here I guess http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=262184&part=sports

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lmao bossut in goal

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

R. Mute posted:

lmao bossut in goal

I think the Luxembourg forwards are worse than the JPL quality forwards, then again Gent lost to Dudelange once

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's just real funny this will be the only international game he'll play.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Dudelange are real bad in football manager but they have a funny name so idk

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

WE HAVE JETS

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009