Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tibalt posted:

Haha nope! Come join us as we mope and debate whether you can PACK THE COURTS or not

yey. mope.

EDIT: Voluntary Bird Tax - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1kotOyxK4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, can you drowsy ducks be happy for five minutes

Can you not tell me how I'm allowed to feel?

Like, not only do I live in Florida, all of my family does, I'm allowed to be sad and gently caress off with everyone who's trying to force me to smile about this bullshit.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

friendly 2 da void posted:

It's weird how slanted the national narrative is against the Democrats. Here's an angle that I don't see enough of:

The Democrats won the House for the first time since 2010. The Tea Party is loving over.
Yes, let's all celebrate the destruction of the teaparty:

2018 winners:
robert aderholt
bradley byrne
martha roby
debbie lesko
martha mcsally
david schweikert
rick crawford
french hill
steve womack
bruce westerman
doug lamalfa
tom mcclintock
david valadao
doug lamborn
gus bilirakis
matt gaetz
steve king
thomas massie
steve scalise
justin amash
tim walberg
steven palazzo
vicky hartzler
blaine luetkemeyer
jeff duncan
joe wilson
michael burgess
john carter
louie gohmert
kenny marchant
rob bishop
david mckinley

maybe winners
jeff denham

promoted:
mulvaney

losers
steve knight
mike coffman
dennis ross
chris mcdaniel (to a primary challenger. eliminated for the runoff)
pete sessions

retirees:
ed royce
lynn jenkins
joe barton
blake farenthold
ted poe
lamar smith
diane black

... oh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ETCanada/status/1059939441823879168

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The thing is, Brown isn't a senator anyone thinks of when they think of Blue Dogs. Why'd he win, when the Senators who you do think of as Blue Dogs mostly lost?

Because he throws enough red meat to the chuds (like supporting the steel tariffs) without compromising any leftist positions (votes No on every Trump nominee). But Ohio is a weird loving state. North of I-70 is essentially Pennsylvania/Michigan (where Dems did really well), while south of I-70 is essentially Kentucky/Indiana (Dems.....not so much).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

the house is an irrelevant sideshow without the senate

it'll make some fun headlines and make some powerful people mildly uncomfortable before they use their money and influence to make it go away as always, which is really the best i can still hope for so whatever

the right wing has cemented their institutional lock on the american government, successfully decoupling their continued influence from the will of the voters, and the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else

Legislation doesn't get passed without the House, and most legislation starts in the house. It does have more of an impact than you are placing on it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo so happy Lucy McBath won, donated to her campaign this month and she was down by just 800 votes until there was a recount. She's going to do great for education and gun reform.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

friendly 2 da void posted:

"The rightward shift they pushed for was completed" -- a native american lesbian just smashed a republican incumbent in Kansas. She wasn't running to the right of him.
Kansas found out the hard way what happens when conservative policies are fully enacted. This is part of the backlash.

Oklahoma found that out recently too. I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the Fifth District.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I was promised Mueller indictments and White House firings, when is that scheduled?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, can you drowsy ducks be happy for five minutes

No, we're broken

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Triskelli posted:

She’s also ripped as hell.

Looks like the antifa supersoldier serum has been perfected.

I want to see her clock someone on live TV. Please, if the universe can give me anything. Give me this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rinkles posted:

also it's not 9 according to NYT

Where are you seeing this? I don't see it on their site anymore.

edit: nm found it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s projected to go over 9 once the millions of CA votes come in I believe. It’s like how Trump was leading the popular vote for like an entire day after the election until CA finished counting.

is it balanced for two dems running against each other in CA though?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1060204454371385349?s=19

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Waves come in many sizes.

Whoops apparently I cut off the 1970s line from that quote.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Yes, Donald Trump has endured more attacks than Lincoln, the man who was literally fired upon by a rebel army and then ultimately shot in the back of the head.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

evilweasel posted:

Where are you seeing this? I don't see it on their site anymore.

i couldn't find it on my phone either, but i had a tab open on my pc

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/06/us/elections/results-house-forecast.html

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/whal510/status/1060171097390374912?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Riatsala posted:

I was promised Mueller indictments and White House firings, when is that scheduled?

White House firings: whenever he remembers to do it

Mueller indictments: I dunno I guess after runoffs?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

new era, new screen name. we did it guys, stop searching for something to feel bad about.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think everyone will feel a bit better once Congress is back in session for a month or two.

I mean, someone will post about the Trump judicial nominees but when have people cared about that *cough* *cough*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uh im pretty sure this is wrong, as Kemp has 50.5% and 100% of precincts are reportedly in. it's possible there's enough votes out there to send this to a runoff but its not going to one right now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So, can we repeal the goddamned Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 and fix the house of representatives to better reflect the actual population of each state?

No? That would mean that Republicans would never EVER have the house again? Oh, ok then. :smith:

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

So I want to make sure I have the proper takes from last night.

The bad:
  • Regaining the Senate in 2020 seems like it’ll be difficult.
  • Losing a number of high profile races
  • Big divide between Senate and House, and Senate is more meaningful

The Good:
  • Florida regained a lot of voters
  • Large Dem support (+7%)
  • Support will likely to grow due to lack of outlet.
  • Massive turnout for a midterm; will hopefully apply to a presidential election
  • Good results for progressive dems, may lead Dems to stop trying to pursue moderate conservatives
  • Can now stop parts of conservative legislative agenda
  • Some traditionally conservative places went for Dems
  • Investigations are now available

Are there any notable takeaways that I'm missing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

uh im pretty sure this is wrong, as Kemp has 50.5% and 100% of precincts are reportedly in. it's possible there's enough votes out there to send this to a runoff but its not going to one right now.

There's multiple legal issues coming out now, with Kemp having refereed his own election, multiple areas where voting was almost impossible due to equipment issues, and other issues.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:
  • Massive turnout for a midterm; will hopefully apply to a presidential election
  • Good results for progressive dems, may lead Dems to stop trying to pursue moderate conservatives

Scott Walker will now orgasm thinking of Reagan outside of the governor's mansion.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ratbert90 posted:

So, can we repeal the goddamned Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 and fix the house of representatives to better reflect the actual population of each state?

No? That would mean that Republicans would never EVER have the house again? Oh, ok then. :smith:

If it helps, keeping the country frozen in this sort of shuddering, back-and-forth paralysis wherein moderate reforms are passed via the executive and then revoked by unpopular demagogues elected with a minority of voters is likely to erode faith in our institutions to a level where civil strife and particularism become increasingly common. :v:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So it looks like Arizona and Florida Senate are still too close to call?

If recounts happen and those hold or win, math changes there for the Senate in 2020 significantly right?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:

Florida (Now 3rd largest state) losing the governorship for the 2020 redistricting is a massively understated loss.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:

I don't think the bolded part is really true.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1060083550270173184

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I think the Senate would be better if we gave every state 3 senators and one was reelected every cycle. That would mean every state voted for a senator, so a wave wouldn't have to worry about a bad map.

Probably an easier sell than killing the senate

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TulliusCicero posted:

So it looks like Arizona and Florida Senate are still too close to call?

If recounts happen and those hold or win, math changes there for the Senate in 2020 significantly right?

Florida's a lost cause probably, but Dems flipping AZ and keeping MT (if those happen) means that we kept the damages to a dull roar and helps significantly for 2020, yes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ratbert90 posted:

It's a good idea. In college I knew a lot of libertarian and right wingers who wanted its repeal, due to their feeling of "losing representation" each census.

The primary argument was "But then you'd have thousands of congress men, where would they meet?" And the answer was usually " Who gives a gently caress about the logistics of it"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:

Scott Walker ate poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1060202743644807168

can you even imagine the level of no commenting that would happen here

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

There's multiple legal issues coming out now, with Kemp having refereed his own election, multiple areas where voting was almost impossible due to equipment issues, and other issues.

those are reasons to challenge the results and/or say that they are illegitimate, but they are not reasons to assert that a runoff is happening. a runoff should happen. but that doesn't mean one is happening.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

evilweasel posted:

those are reasons to challenge the results and/or say that they are illegitimate, but they are not reasons to assert that a runoff is happening. a runoff should happen. but that doesn't mean one is happening.

Tampering with the vote is a federal crime valid strategy in this hell timeline.
Assisting the disabled in absentee voting: 5-10 years.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:

Dems picked up a couple of state houses and a half dozen or so governors, which should help limit or reverse gerrmandering in those areas.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nemo Somen posted:

The bad:

The Good:

Lots of good proposals passed and some bad ones.

Anti gerrymandering and voter suppression ones good, weed good, abortion bans bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A 9 point win is a wave. You can’t spin that. It’s the largest margin of victory in a midterm since the 70s. It’s just that our Senate system is broken because of the Red States. But we broke through the gerrymandering and picked up crucial governships. Trust me, if we had pulled it out in Florida people would be feeling a whole lot different about everything.

Where did you get the 9 point win? I'm seeing popular vote margins of about 7.1 in favor of Democrats.

Part of this comes down to how you define "wave". Simply winning by a large margin is one perfectly valid definition, but it doesn't say very much that's interesting, saying it mostly seems like a way for democrats to pat themselves on their backs. Perhaps a better definition of a wave today would be an election which overwhelms the Republican gerrymander. For this election that was predicted to occur somewhere above 9% Democratic national margins. We clearly didn't reach that point, so I wouldn't call it a wave. I understand though why emotionally its important to take pride in the victory Democrats did achieve.