Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

My entire company went off to play New World for a month or two (and somehow got to max level in a week, the deviants).

The core foundation of the game is solid, and in this case I wouldn't blame the traditional bugbear of "lack of content" for players dropping off. The game is just incomplete.

Blasting other players in combat is very fun, but the system for actually finding them isn't in yet (and the world is beyond vast). There's no way of salvaging or stealing their ships if you do win a fight. You can't assault other player's stations yet.

You can put blocks together to build a "station", but there's nothing you can actually do with a station yet beyond making it look pretty and using it for storage.

Mining works, but is very single player and the only thing people spend their resources on is incrementally larger mining ships. Or stocking up for future features when they land.

Capital ships aren't in yet, and they're the game's main fast travel feature. Players can't build their own warp gates (yet?).

The ship design is great and very open-ended, but because many of the game's systems are incomplete there's only a few types of ships you can actually design fully.

That said, everyone who's mentioned it has said they're coming back to the game (we didn't say that with, for example, Last Oasis). My deviant company have about 200-400 hours each in it so far, so the game does have heft despite its many omissions.

The developers for this game are solid, but they've set themselves the task of building their own engine and an entire MMO from scratch. However, unlike some other notable developers in this genre, they build the foundations first rather than the tinsel. Large scale fights actually work and run smooth (when they've done tests on the PTU).

I've told all the friends I know who like PvP to buy it in a year. If you're thinking about it now, capital ships should be in and working well by mid-December, and that will also make a big difference, both to the game and (likely) the player numbers.

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It needs pve invaders

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Yeah the game is still probably at least 2 years from release. We don't really know what it's gonna play like yet, because there are so many core features that are not in the game yet. It's a good foundation though, like someone said

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

It needs pve invaders

It needs PvE something. Anything really. The world is so lifeless and dead. It's just rocks and fog everywhere.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The devs have said there will never be npc ships in space. Whether they realize this is dumb or not will determine the ultimate fate of the game.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Arven posted:

The devs have said there will never be npc ships in space. Whether they realize this is dumb or not will determine the ultimate fate of the game.

I actually agree with having no "NPC ships", as one would imagine them from other MMOs. This doesn't mean no "PvE" content. If I remember correctly, they've said their developer factions will be able to create automated mining/transport/PvP ships, but that the same ability will be available to players and player factions as well.

However this isn't even on the roadmap yet, which only goes about a year ahead.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Aertuun posted:

I actually agree with having no "NPC ships", as one would imagine them from other MMOs.

Autonomous ships not controlled by players: bad

Aertuun posted:

their developer factions will be able to create automated mining/transport/PvP ships, but that the same ability will be available to players and player factions as well.

Autonomous ships not controlled by players: good

hth

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Evil space squids are not ships

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Sachant posted:

Autonomous ships not controlled by players: bad
Autonomous ships not controlled by players: good

hth

It sounds like you're missing the part where they will be controlled by players. One example of how this can be done is in X3.

"Automated" and "autonomous" have very different meanings. An automated factory is not necessarily autonomous.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

The game needs stuff that's fun/interesting/risky for people to shoot at that isn't necessarily player-made and that players don't flip out over losing their investment in. Basically every other game in this genre, space game or not, has at least some PvE as a downtime combat activity. Starbase has no PvE whatsoever (no, their redefinition of PvE as hitting asteroids doesn't count) and it makes downtime for anyone who wants to fight stuff boring as hell.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Sachant posted:

The game needs stuff that's fun/interesting/risky for people to shoot at that isn't necessarily player-made and that players don't flip out over losing their investment in. Basically every other game in this genre, space game or not, has at least some PvE as a downtime combat activity. Starbase has no PvE whatsoever (no, their redefinition of PvE as hitting asteroids doesn't count) and it makes downtime for anyone who wants to fight stuff boring as hell.

Hrm, it's not true that "every other game in the genre, space game or not, has PvE". Foxhole is one example off the top of my head. Even if they all did (whatever group of games we're looking at), I'm not convinced making another version of what every other game does is the right move.

Making something new is difficult. Mistakes will be made. Some things will work, some things won't. There's a great video by the Subnautica devs on that subject:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025691/-Subnautica

If the only issue with players making automated controllable ships is players getting upset because some of their RTS units got destroyed, isn't that just a design challenge, not a show stopper? Many games have nailed designs where it is possible to lose and still have fun.

The developers are currently targeting 2024 for their 1.0 release. To quote the head of the company, "The game has exactly the number of daily players that it deserves in its current state". Maybe wait a year at least to see how their current roadmap pans out?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I wouldn't really put Foxhole in the same genre. It isn't persistent beyond a couple of weeks, it's two-team-based, there's no individual progression, there isn't even really any personal property. I'm comparing this to Space Engineers, Rust, Empyrion, Eve, Ark, and so on. PvP sandbox games.

The point is that downtime in Starbase just kinda sucks if you're a combat-oriented player. There's nothing to do but wait for PvP. These other games all let you get some combat going when nobody's around or you just want some non-PvP combat downtime. It isn't amazing combat, but you're shooting something that moves and shoots back at you, and that's good enough for downtime decompression style gameplay.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 20, 2021

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

it would be cool if they added "space lanes", maybe 2 or 3 of them. in each of these lanes you have "space towers" that will automatically shoot "space lasers" at the enemy faction. each of these "space lanes" would be populated by regular waves of spaceship ai that try to get to the enemy faction's base. you could salvage the ai spaceships you kill and spend the money of upgrades for your ship. if you die you lose your money.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kevin Bacon posted:

it would be cool if they added "space lanes", maybe 2 or 3 of them. in each of these lanes you have "space towers" that will automatically shoot "space lasers" at the enemy faction. each of these "space lanes" would be populated by regular waves of spaceship ai that try to get to the enemy faction's base. you could salvage the ai spaceships you kill and spend the money of upgrades for your ship. if you die you lose your money.

Woah wait, so could I kill my own team's AI spaceships to deny the enemy the ability to salvage them?

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

Has anyone tried adding the same kind of psychology behind slot machines to MMOs? So kind of like every time you kill an enemy it's like pulling the lever of a slot machine?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Aertuun posted:

Has anyone tried adding the same kind of psychology behind slot machines to MMOs? So kind of like every time you kill an enemy it's like pulling the lever of a slot machine?

You are describing random loot.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

You are describing random loot.

:thanks:

Kevin Bacon posted:

You are describing a MOBA.

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 20, 2021

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Aertuun posted:

yea i think thats a good idea, everytime you kill a spaceship it has a random chance of dropping a slot machine

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

yea i think thats a good idea, everytime you kill a spaceship it has a random chance of dropping a slot machine

My main thought is that at some point this will go full circle and people will go to Vegas and think, "Hey, this is like playing WoW."

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Weld enough of those slot machines together and maybe you’ll have something, mister

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What that thing called where the game is "free to play" and "battle royale" is this what it needs?

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I had high hopes for this game and was following its development closely while enjoying gameplay.

Then the lead dev said that any pvp is griefing and he didn't want that in his game(paraphrasing) and my interested dropped to zero.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Simon Numbers posted:

I had high hopes for this game and was following its development closely while enjoying gameplay.

Then the lead dev said that any pvp is griefing and he didn't want that in his game(paraphrasing) and my interested dropped to zero.

Narp that's not what he said.

He said that people in combat ships dunking miners, without any mechanism in the game for miners to even detect someone was nearby, wasn't good gameplay for either the miners or the combat ships.

So along with the radiation mechanics they'll add a proximity sensor that will ping off if another ship comes within 3km / visual distance. You'll know someone is there but not necessarily where they are.

So you and I will still be able to dunk miners, but they'll get to run a bit first.

We had perfected the "coast up to to the other ship silently and headshot the pilot" meta and captured plenty of ships as a result, but I can understand why the scales wanted to be tipped a bit in the other direction.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Aertuun posted:

So along with the radiation mechanics they'll add a proximity sensor that will ping off if another ship comes within 3km / visual distance. You'll know someone is there but not necessarily where they are.
Couldn't you do that already by looking at the zone list or did they finally remove that?

Also they've been talking about radiation mechanics for like 2 years now so I guess we'll see them in 2024.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Sachant posted:

Also they've been talking about radiation mechanics for like 2 years now so I guess we'll see them in 2024.

Yah it's on the roadmap for after the capital ships and sieges come in, so maybe April to June next year?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Well there's a OKI Manatee out floating somewhere in the second ring. I learned it's a bad idea to rearrange the mining controls while standing in front of the mining laser :negative:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Double posting to ask if the ability to navigate anywhere in the game outside of ISAN range would be majorly useful, as long as it has a clear sky. Best use case I've had is to set up a base way off in the middle of nowhere.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I am still new to this game but wanted to drop a line and say hello.

The sheer amount of stuff to do in this game (that works) is awesome.. side note there are still bugs.

enable lifeline!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Minclark posted:

I am still new to this game but wanted to drop a line and say hello.

The sheer amount of stuff to do in this game (that works) is awesome.. side note there are still bugs.

enable lifeline!

Hi ho!

Right now it seems the place to be is the public test server, where they’ve been testing capital ships. I haven’t been keeping tabs with them other than that.

Personally I am waiting for there to be more salvage / recovery and support roles. Our Top Goons can shred up a ship in seconds, but there’s a ton of downtime because they lack the resources repair or rearm. One support ship can cover multiple attack ships, and maybe recover a ship that was hit by a planet.

It’s this gameplay that keeps my interest. I’m looking forward to capital ships for the same reason. I’m hoping the devs don’t gently caress up and a lot of goons come back so we can’t get back to what’s important: making pubbies cry.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll admit, this game lost me when my newbie ship ran out of fuel and the refueling stations didn't seem to do anything.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Game is dead as hell. Capital ships won't be nearly enough to bring it back from 270 peak players.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Ynglaur posted:

I'll admit, this game lost me when my newbie ship ran out of fuel and the refueling stations didn't seem to do anything.

It comes four extra fuel rods in the back, and the refueling stations only refill propellant. You need power to run all the systems, and power and propellant to actually fire your thrusters.

Refuel stations can recharge batteries, but you are better off using YOLOL to automatically regulate your generators. Either way you have to connect your ship’s port to a station’s port. The newbie ship has its port set as a two connection by default, so you may have attempted this back when they were particularly buggy.

It’s worth learning crafting just up to making your own rods and tanks, since that will let you refill them with magic rocks and ice, respectively.

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
Still annoyed they removed pvp around the warp gate because the moon was suppose to be an upcoming major content hub, even though it was a major content hub, but then never added the major content. The moon ecosystem was pretty awesome having people fighting around the gate, sometimes a gang of ships would roll out together to get some miners through, salvagers on the ground making money from all the wrecks, the random ground pvp that came from the ship graveyard, and it ended up being the only place where you could interact with other players outside of the starter stations. I hope this game hits full release so i can try it again, assuming they decide to wipe which I believe they announced they would never wipe with the release of early access so who knows.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

I want you to know that I laughed extremely hard at this post.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Been trying to show my brother around the game since he picked it up the other day. I hadn't played since EA release and the origin stations are a ghost town. Which is a huge issue in actually being able to do anything (let alone never ever seeing anyone to fight with).

With no one playing there's no one buying AH resources. Which means the only way to gain credits is extremely slowly at the tutorial grinding stations. And for some insane reason new ships have a material cost AND a manufacturing cost. So while you might be able to eventually harvest yourself enough materials for a new ship, you won't have the credits to build it.

So we're kind of stuck with whatever ship I bought forever ago, and we're not even able to experiment with some different ships because the ingame economy doesn't support it at all.

Is stuff cheaper / easier to do in the PTU? I think we might just drop the game until there's an actual update. Though I'm worried this game's just gonna end up like the next Worlds Adrift, and that game even sort of had a PvE/Exploration element which was interesting when there weren't other players around.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Been trying to show my brother around the game since he picked it up the other day. I hadn't played since EA release and the origin stations are a ghost town. Which is a huge issue in actually being able to do anything (let alone never ever seeing anyone to fight with).

With no one playing there's no one buying AH resources. Which means the only way to gain credits is extremely slowly at the tutorial grinding stations. And for some insane reason new ships have a material cost AND a manufacturing cost. So while you might be able to eventually harvest yourself enough materials for a new ship, you won't have the credits to build it.

So we're kind of stuck with whatever ship I bought forever ago, and we're not even able to experiment with some different ships because the ingame economy doesn't support it at all.

Is stuff cheaper / easier to do in the PTU? I think we might just drop the game until there's an actual update. Though I'm worried this game's just gonna end up like the next Worlds Adrift, and that game even sort of had a PvE/Exploration element which was interesting when there weren't other players around.

Just use the starter ship and go mining. You can still sell stuff to the game for a tiny bit of cash, but it should still be more than you'll make with the starter jobs. Make sure you research modular crates and craft a bunch for your starter ship. It shouldn't take long until you throw on like 6 extra engines and a whole bunch of more crates. That will help you acquire the credits necessary to buy or build a ship.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

No ring

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so I guess they pushed out a patch last month

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/ea-update-8-2-2022-early-access-build-789.2984/

this game seems completely fuckin' dead though. what stops yall from playing? i ask only because i have no loving motivation myself

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

cmdrk posted:

so I guess they pushed out a patch last month

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/ea-update-8-2-2022-early-access-build-789.2984/

this game seems completely fuckin' dead though. what stops yall from playing? i ask only because i have no loving motivation myself

It just does not have any real content beyond mining and building ships - to haul more ore to build more ships. There’s a lot of good stuff there that has no real purpose (I legit love designing and testing ships, but I want to make support vessels to repair and rearm fighter ships)

They seem to have focused on the play test server, and supposedly will have capital ships and other stuff that will make multiplayer more exciting. I’ll be happy to play again when that day comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

It just does not have any real content beyond mining and building ships - to haul more ore to build more ships. There’s a lot of good stuff there that has no real purpose (I legit love designing and testing ships, but I want to make support vessels to repair and rearm fighter ships)

They seem to have focused on the play test server, and supposedly will have capital ships and other stuff that will make multiplayer more exciting. I’ll be happy to play again when that day comes.

that's fair. i almost got sucked back into Space Engineers recently and realized the thing that i well and truly enjoyed was building crazy poo poo like factories that could print out ships. even still, Starbase was too complicated for me.. did they ever iron out the bugs with the EZ builder, I wonder?