Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oh jay posted:

Where's the lie, tho

Well, as the article amends at the end, it's actually a zucchetto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I hope Jonathan isn’t up to no good! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I hope Jonathan isn’t up to no good! :ohdear:

Maybe he's after some celebrity-only level anti-allergy meds from Dr. C so Howard can have a cat in the apartment again! :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe he's after some celebrity-only level anti-allergy meds from Dr. C so Howard can have a cat in the apartment again! :shobon:

Oh that’s actually pretty likely. The envelope Doctor C handed him had a prescription in it!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
It it just me or has the actual podcast nearly completely disappeared from the narrative? There is still narration, of course, but they never talk about the podcast, how many listeners they have, who their fans are, etc. The metafictional aspect used to be a big part of the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I, too, miss Jaboukie.

Charles did a bit or narration in ep 3, I wanna say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SimonChris posted:

It it just me or has the actual podcast nearly completely disappeared from the narrative? There is still narration, of course, but they never talk about the podcast, how many listeners they have, who their fans are, etc. The metafictional aspect used to be a big part of the show.
The brief interaction with Cinda Canning (Tina Fey) in episode four makes me think the podcast is going to come back into prominence in the second half of the season. There'd be no reason for her to show up if they were just done with that element of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Mabel mentioned in the first episode that they still have fans on the Internet who wish they'd do a new "season", and it feels like these first few episodes have been about doing all the background but they haven't actually made or dropped a new episode yet. The season seems to be aiming (at the moment) for the idea that all three of them might finally be getting into places where they can move on to new phases in their lives, with the twist being that it's Mabel for once who doesn't want to (even beyond just the understandable desire not to downgrade to a much, much, much shittier apartment).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, this looks like one of those seasons where the team almost breaks up and then comes back together (in this case, mostly because the guys are distracted by the musical and by their love lives). So they're less focused on the podcast, and less focused on the murder in general. Which is a little odd, this idea that they'd be so blase about there being a killer in their midst, but you know, it's a show and not real life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That apartment looked way smaller than 400 square feet.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
I love how this show keeps you guessing. The family and I all have different feelings on who it is. I'm leaning Tobert, as it's too perfect that he uses podcast hero Mabel to find a likely suspect to pin the blame on. I do think someone else, though, sent cookies to the dressing room. No matter what, I do hope the killer is someone we already know and not anyone introduced from here on out.
The writers do an amazing job playing to the actor's strengths. Physical comedy, outrageous overacting, quiet moments of levity all pull this show together so well

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Steve Martin's goldfish subplot was a bit much.

I'm sticking to my secret twins theory, and the idea that the events of the play turned musical are going to mirror real life. Particularly now the theatre turns out to have a lighthouse style twisting staircase out the back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really liked the individual performances of the leads (particularly the big climactic scene) and the Howard subplot but overall this episode felt weirdly off to me. The random director who Oliver has known for decades who has been hiding in a theater backroom for months was particularly contrived I felt.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I think if they would have introduced him before (beginning of the season or previous season), it would not have seemed so forced. If he popped up at last season’s finale asking Oliver to take him back on the production, it would have played better.

I agree though that the climatic scene was played perfectly by all three with Oliver’s attack on Mabel being so sharp with how they have interacted since the beginning.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Possible clue? They lingered on the highlighted script being shredded a beat longer than you might expect. It seemed like a pretty mundane page involving the nanny and the detective though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

oh jay posted:

Possible clue? They lingered on the highlighted script being shredded a beat longer than you might expect. It seemed like a pretty mundane page involving the nanny and the detective though.

I can't see anything but it's a bit weird that she's working on the script of the original play, when I assume the musical has a completely different intro.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

ymgve posted:

I can't see anything but it's a bit weird that she's working on the script of the original play, when I assume the musical has a completely different intro.

She complained that they screwed up her highlighting, and that shot showed it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

She complained that they screwed up her highlighting, and that shot showed it.

Continuing it from the wider shot with her still in frame would have accomplished the same thing. For whatever reason, they wanted to show us a close up.

Somehow that shot is ending up on a "previously on". Might be for the script, or the color, but it feels too deliberate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pretty funny how Howard not only confessed to their faces, but got them to come mess up the crime scenes and rain any evidence left, with the cherry on top arranging for an actor friend to play the part of a destitute director living in theatre. But I'm too Columbus for that, oh and one more thing, that Evelyn? Howard killed her too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, I thought this one was a messy delight! I love hearing about theatre traditions, and didn’t know about the ghost light*, so that was an unexpected bonus. I don’t feel like we learned anything majorly new this episode.

I think that handwriting sample in Loretta’s scrapbook is Ben’s handwriting, which is why it matches the lipstick writing. She’s snagged that from somewhere in the past because she’s Ben’s mother and it’s the scraps of mementoes she’s cobbled together of him.

Tobert does feel like he’s sticking around to pull Mabel away from things in case they turn his way, but he hasn’t got a motive that we’ve seen as yet. He’s just kind of there as a friendly face for Mabel as she’s on the outs with Charles and Oliver (which really feels forced, btw).

*Learning what a ghost light is explains what I saw back in college. In my student union, I was helping to run a one night show in the Union theatre, which was brand new at the time. Big shiny new stage, impressive wide auditorium, multi tier seating etc. Backstage felt much more old school, it was downstairs and the dressing rooms were much more just painted concrete blocks and pipework. Along at the end of one corridor, I saw a pair of double doors, one of which was open. Through that was black void, save for a single bare low wattage light bulb. I went to see, and it was just like in the show. A bare bulb on a lone pole standing on another, much smaller stage, surrounded by junk and crates. This was the original union theatre they’d apparently not knocked down to build the new one, but just built on top of! It was quite the atmosphere. This maybe 200-300 seat theatre, dark and abandoned, with a solitary light bulb barely illuminating the stage itself, let alone piercing the gloom of the seats.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I love hearing about theatre traditions, and didn’t know about the ghost light*

Ironically, the explanation from this episode has made me understand the eponymous Doctor Who serial, Ghost Light, even less.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ironically, the explanation from this episode has made me understand the eponymous Doctor Who serial, Ghost Light, even less.

Lol, also yes, I’ve been trying to make it fit and I’ve got nothing. Maybe that because Light was out/asleep, bad (good) things happened?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Holy poo poo, you goons are SMART! Personally, I watch and read mysteries like a child riding "It's a Small World," at Disney: just enjoying the moment, eyes wide in wonder. I can't theory craft worth a drat, but the cookie theory is solid stuff.

Don't count on me to theorize anything accurate, as I'm ALWAYS wrong, but it feels like there are two murderers. One with the poisoning and one with the push down the elevator shaft.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah those are definitely two different things. Same narrative structure as season one, where Zoe's murder was unrelated to Tim's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope the "loving pig" thing really is Ben writing it on his own mirror. He gets called a loving pig, it gets to him, and then he scrawls it on the mirror with the lipstick he finds.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

By the finale, every character will have admitted to calling Ben a loving Pig which will cause minor confusion in their second annual Killer Reveal Party.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I MURDERED BEN!…..by not opening the door for him.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope the "loving pig" thing really is Ben writing it on his own mirror. He gets called a loving pig, it gets to him, and then he scrawls it on the mirror with the lipstick he finds.

He ate a bunch of cookies and then wrote it while being angry at himself for doing so.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Maera Sior posted:

He ate a bunch of cookies and then wrote it while being angry at himself for doing so.

If it doesn’t turn out to be this, I will be shocked.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maera Sior posted:

I feel like his one sided conversation on the documentary camera is also Ben talking to himself. He probably entered the White Room and was having a mental breakdown.

Maybe there won't even be a murderer this season, and it'll turn out Ben just threw himself down the elevator shaft.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
It was his evil twin, Glen Benroy

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.
This season's been kind of a slog with the musical stuff, but I think my partner and I have at least figured out one of the big reveals based on tonight's episode: Loretta is Dickie's birth mother and the Ben Glenroy scrapbook is a misdirect because she was collecting pictures where Dickie was in the background. It also explains why Dickie was working so hard to snag her a job before/after Ben died. I feel like there's something else we're missing though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a very interesting theory!

Also I absolutely loved this episode, especially the cameos, and the 1-2 gut-punch at the end of realizing they missed their shot to apologize and she's moved on both in the podcast and literally out of the building hit hard.

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.
Yeah, this episode reminded me why I love the show.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Definitely one of the tighter episodes of the season. Even though Uma mostly disappears halfway, her opening narration about people leaving and stealing what you can from them really ties the whole thing together neatly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like his one sided conversation on the documentary camera is also Ben talking to himself. He probably entered the White Room and was having a mental breakdown.

Maybe there won't even be a murderer this season, and it'll turn out Ben just threw himself down the elevator shaft.

My dumb theory:

As established, all of the cast and crew members have their opening night handkerchief accounted for, including Ben, meaning that the one he was clutching when he fell is surplus. Ben would never have bothered ordering the hankies himself, he would have made Dickie do it. Dickie ordered an extra one for himself as a memento but when Ben realized his was missing (because Gregg stole it) and that Dickie had one he assumed that Dickie had stolen his, they argued, then Ben tried to physically wrestle the hanky away from Dickie and wound up accidentally falling down the open shaft.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It not being a straight up murder just accidents or unfortunate events could fit this being the final season with the gang falling apart and all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

It not being a straight up murder just accidents or unfortunate events could fit this being the final season with the gang falling apart and all.

Oh poo poo, that's going to turn out to be the plot of Death Rattle too, isn't it?

A show-within-a-show that's literally about people looking at a freak accident and seeing murder no matter how implausible.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 13, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This isn’t the final season, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought it was but I've never wanted to be wrong more